The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Thieving issue

blindhawk333
blindhawk333
✭✭
Ok, I am tapping into the hive mind right now because I am at a loss for what to do. I have several toons parked in various areas to pick pockets and I have been running into an issue where a freshly spawned NPC shows as <empty> when I go to pick their pocket. I have not touched this respawn at all and yet, it is showing completely empty. Has anyone had the same issue? I have submitted a ticked but thus far, no response. Any help would be appreciated. In one area alone with 7 NPCs to pick, 4 of them show empty for 2 of my 4 parked toons!! This is rediculous.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I ran into that once when I was repeatedly pickpocketing and killing a set of 4 npcs in the Gold Coast. One of them started showing up as empty even when I killed him and he respawned. I feel like this might have been after I had gone to fence stuff and came back. The only thing I can suggest is to relog or change maps and come back and see how it looks then. If you've already done that and the issue is persisting, then I just hope ZOS takes a look at your report.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There could be a loot timer in play. Go somewhere else and pick pockets for 10 to 15 minutes.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you certain they are fresh spawns that have not been cleaned out by another player?

As recently as this past weekend everything I cleaned and killed was full again a few minutes later when it respawned. Heck, twice had a NPC have more than 3 items to loot. One has 5. I didn't complain.
  • blindhawk333
    blindhawk333
    ✭✭
    the NPCs loot is not shared. I am positive they are fresh spawns, I sat and watched one spawn in front of me. I have logged out, gone to a different account, left the dungeon, reloaded, and switched characters and nothing has helped.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    left the dungeon,

?????

IF these are dungeon spawned NPCs, then it's probably following the Dungeon Spawn mechanics. And, just know that changing Alts or relogging that are parked in the same dungeon does not always change the dungeon instance.

So, while you have said that you have tried everything, have you tried waiting 5 to 10 minutes?

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• blindhawk333
    blindhawk333
    ✭✭
    yes, I have left the location. My terminology was probably incorrect. It is an area of NPCs similar to what you would find in towns where you have a pick pocket rotation. When I get a motif page, I leave the room, park my toon and hop on another toon. I have also experienced picking the pocket of the NPC and the next time it spawns, it is empty. I watched 2 spawn in front of me and they spawned empty. This same issue has also happened in a town where I was picking pockets as well.
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @blindhawk333
    This sounds like a case for...
    slab-cropped-jouster-2497-inspectorclouseau.jpg

In all seriousness, there may be a delay for when a mob's inventory populates to prevent this very thing.
    Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • blindhawk333
    blindhawk333
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I could understand that if all the mobs turned up empty or if it happened to others but I would be thieving with a buddy and they would not experience this same issue. Perplexing to say the least. No response from ZoS so I suspect this issue is very very low on the priority of bugs and whatnot. Thanks for the feedback folks.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm necroing this post because there is surprisingly little other info about this, but there IS a pickpocket timeout. I'm pretty sure it's not a bug

If you have been stealing a lot, NPC's will begin to spawn <Empty> to you. I have noticed this only happens if you leave and come back.

I have found a location with 3 npc's to steal from who respawn very quickly, and after returning from fencing, occasionally ONE specific npc will spawn <Empty> no matter how many times it's killed. And I mean it literally spawns in front of me, no one else there. Sometimes, all 3 spawn <Empty>, and continue to do so after being murdered. This has happened during Morrowind thieving routes, too, though I might have assumed that someone else was pickpocketing them before me if I hadn't seen it myself in this other instance

I haven't figured out the mechanic for this — is it ALL npc's everywhere who become empty, or just the area you've been stealing?

I've been stealing 100+ items from specific areas at the times this has been happening
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • nukk3r
    nukk3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found a location with 3 npc's to steal from who respawn very quickly, and after returning from fencing, occasionally ONE specific npc will spawn <Empty> no matter how many times it's killed. And I mean it literally spawns in front of me, no one else there. Sometimes, all 3 spawn <Empty>, and continue to do so after being murdered. This has happened during Morrowind thieving routes

A noble in Balmora temple by any chance? Having the same issue with this NPC after an hour of pickpocketing.