The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Some questions regarding MMR

Gezbert
Gezbert
Soul Shriven
Hi,

I have some questions about the MMR system;

- Is it known what the MMR is based on? Kills, medals, wins, etc.?
- Does MMR reset and how often?
- I assume it is character based, is this true?

thanks in advance
  • Nirntrotter
    Nirntrotter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AFAIK it's based on how many BGs a character has played.
    Grand Warlord Arodel, Gryphon Heart
    <Serenity>
    AD MagDK, *2014, PC-EU | 49k+ achievement points
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ethuiliel wrote: »

I really hope not. That's a pretty awful way of determining someone's skill bracket.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

I really hope not. That's a pretty awful way of determining someone's skill bracket.

It's character based, is accumulative and doesn't go down. It's mainly based on games played but your score affects it too.
  • Gezbert
    Gezbert
    Soul Shriven
    Qbiken wrote: »

It's character based, is accumulative and doesn't go down. It's mainly based on games played but your score affects it too.

So if you're at some point at a rank you are supposed to be, playing more will still increase your MMR even if you are doing bad because you are playing against better people? That sounds pretty bad.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gezbert wrote: »

So if you're at some point at a rank you are supposed to be, playing more will still increase your MMR even if you are doing bad because you are playing against better people? That sounds pretty bad.

This is why I don't like that system. It should be about your overall performance, not how many matches you've played. That's just lazy and stupid.
  • Nirntrotter
    Nirntrotter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gezbert wrote: »

That's basically what happened to my main. I'm an average PvPer, but I play BGs for the achievs and the game has started to throw me in with much, much better players. I don't really mind, but I imagine my team mates do.

Grand Warlord Arodel, Gryphon Heart
    <Serenity>
    AD MagDK, *2014, PC-EU | 49k+ achievement points
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

mate im pretty sure its win based but u only rank down if u come last place.

im just uncertain about how ur statistic like dmg done or healing done plays into it if at all.

what i can say confidently tho is that im sure of its beeing win based and probably win based only.

by the way let me know ur ingame ID >.< im to curious becouse i often see u on forum
    Edited by Noctus on May 4, 2020 1:10PM
  • Gezbert
    Gezbert
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the helpful replies people
  • Valabrog
    Valabrog
    ✭✭✭

That cant be true..Who on earth would even think to rank players by games played :smiley: A new guy plays land grap 10 times per day, does zero dmg, gets hign scores in medals and is thrown to the wolfes in a few days of active playing? Just omg.
  • sami.uotilaeb17_ESO
    I also experienced this levelling with BGs and now getting demolished after reaching lvl 50.

I am also casual player and enjoyed my gaming with Batllegrounds, but I have no chance of getting Yellow gear in no near future so this assumed MMR is destroying my and presumably my random teammates BG experience.

If there is a Tier mechanism it is urgent that it is fixed soon and it then allows quick drop/lift to appropriate gaming level.

Thanks!
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also experienced this levelling with BGs and now getting demolished after reaching lvl 50.

I am also casual player and enjoyed my gaming with Batllegrounds, but I have no chance of getting Yellow gear in no near future so this assumed MMR is destroying my and presumably my random teammates BG experience.

If there is a Tier mechanism it is urgent that it is fixed soon and it then allows quick drop/lift to appropriate gaming level.

Thanks!

Are you at CP160 yet, cause that is the real level cap for NoCP purposes. Hit lvl50, get to CP160, get 160CP purple gear and gold weapons, then you can start to compete in 50+ BGs.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apologies for resurrecting this discussion but i'm still baffled about the MMR system...does anyone actually know how it works?

I just feel sorry for myself and my team mates as I seem to have ended up playing in a competitive bracket...not surprisingly, I'm not doing too well!!

Edited by Rhaegar75 on January 19, 2021 10:40PM
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter what your MMR is. All that matters is your health pool and gear.

Its ridiculous to think that player skill has anything to do with results in this 35k health proc set meta.

You can 1vX the best players in this game if you are wearing certain gear and they aren't and you can be a day 1 eso noob
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on January 20, 2021 2:41AM
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you win or get second place, your character MMR goes up. If you get third place, your MMR goes down.

Your first five (or so) matches are placement matches. They count significantly more than other matches.

Team MMR is averaged out. You can have a high and low MMR player on the same team if they average out to the same as the average of an opposing team. This is more common when the population is low.

Lowbie BG wins / second places count towards character MMR for max level BGs.

That’s it.

For extra fun, come in last place in your first five matches and enjoy weeks of low MMR BGs :)
    Edited by Thogard on January 24, 2021 12:41AM
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard this before and I really, really hope it's not true. That would be one of the worst gameplay system implementations in the history of gaming. [snip] The positives are essentially nothing. It would be better to completely ignore MMR and not track it at all and just place people randomly into groups in order to reduce server load by 0.0000001% and speed up queue times by taking that calculation out.

[Edited to remove Bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on February 1, 2021 4:24PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Thogard a few questions:

When you say placement, is this the teams' placements or the individuals'? And if team based; does the individual's performance matter? Like if I go 26-0 and my teammates do 0-10 each and our team places last; Whats the outcome?

First 5 matches when? First 5 per week?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When you say placement, is this the teams' placements or the individuals'? And if team based; does the individual's performance matter? Like if I go 26-0 and my teammates do 0-10 each and our team places last; Whats the outcome?

good questions!
  • Ajantisz
    Ajantisz
    ✭✭✭
    Would be interesting to know if there is group MMR and solo MMR and how they interplay.

There seem to be a few issues from my time playing BG's while leveling my warden that will only become catastrophic at max level.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

-Teams placement, individual doesn’t matter
    -First five matches of character’s life, unless they reset MMR
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

• Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

It can't be that static......i hope!!

Edited by Rhaegar75 on February 2, 2021 6:28PM
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »

It can't be that static......i hope!!

MMR still definitely changes. It's just that the first few are placement matches, so they count for a lot more than the rest.

• LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Any official announcement made about this "First 5 matches" theory? It will be nice if you can share a link.
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Any official announcement made about this "First 5 matches" theory? It will be nice if you can share a link.

No, there’s nothing official. Just lots of testing and anecdotes.

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character's life makes sense; I kept thinking switching toons like a month later would do something and it never did.

I wish they reset MMR more often; a new build doesnt deserve that kind of competition
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Reeb
    Reeb
    ✭✭
    It's really bad if the MMR is determined mainly by the number of matches played. I've been doing my BG dailies regularly since I started playing the game back in June 2020. Most of the time I really enjoyed it, scoring well and improving gradually, while never aspiring to become a pro/meta player. However, for some 1-2 months now, I've been getting ridiculously smashed during pretty much every single match, struggling to win even 1v1 duels and somehow usually ending up with the weakest team. My BG dailes have turned into an ordeal where I sometimes have to queue 3 times to finally end up at least second with my team.

Is the MMR to blame for this? Logically, it should get lower after I've lost so many matches now, but it's doesn't seem so. Probably now I have to either switch to some cheesy proc meta build a'la Crimson/Malacath, or just stop playing BGs at all, because this is not fun at all anymore :/
    Edited by Reeb on February 5, 2021 11:32AM
    Arkhanis Darvel & Rock the Bear | Warden | PC-EU
    Adventurer, skirmisher, bard-amateur
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, there’s nothing official. Just lots of testing and anecdotes.

This works and I can attest to it ! . I have one magsorc which is possibly the highest MMR toon on our server and expected to 1v11 and finish off games under 10 mins to have a chance. My other mag sorc where I lost the first 10 games AFK, is still low MMR although it has a decent amount of BG's behind it
  • Augusten15
    Augusten15
    ✭✭✭

I'm not sure this is accurate. I've played 1000's of BGs on my main. I often switch to a fresh character with less than 100 BGs for the daily and still get matched with the same people if I pay attention to names.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Augusten15 wrote: »

I'm not sure this is accurate. I've played 1000's of BGs on my main. I often switch to a fresh character with less than 100 BGs for the daily and still get matched with the same people if I pay attention to names.

It's possible they are on Alts also.

But I also think that matchmaking doesn't try and find 12 people of similar MMR. I think it tries to make three teams with somewhat equal average MMRs. Thus, anyone can wind up in a match with anyone else as long as the MMR disparities average out from team to team.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But I also think that matchmaking doesn't try and find 12 people of similar MMR. I think it tries to make three teams with somewhat equal average MMRs. Thus, anyone can wind up in a match with anyone else as long as the MMR disparities average out from team to team.

I think it works like this too when the matchmaking can't find enough players with your skill level. I've been playing against the same 3 or 4 highly skilled players in most of my games. We are always separated in different teams together with random players that doesn't belong in high MMR.

But during certain hours of prime time, it usually fills all three teams with players of similar skill.
    Edited by Jackey on February 25, 2021 1:05PM
    PS | EU
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reeb wrote: »
    It's really bad if the MMR is determined mainly by the number of matches played. I've been doing my BG dailies regularly since I started playing the game back in June 2020. Most of the time I really enjoyed it, scoring well and improving gradually, while never aspiring to become a pro/meta player. However, for some 1-2 months now, I've been getting ridiculously smashed during pretty much every single match, struggling to win even 1v1 duels and somehow usually ending up with the weakest team. My BG dailes have turned into an ordeal where I sometimes have to queue 3 times to finally end up at least second with my team.

Is the MMR to blame for this? Logically, it should get lower after I've lost so many matches now, but it's doesn't seem so. Probably now I have to either switch to some cheesy proc meta build a'la Crimson/Malacath, or just stop playing BGs at all, because this is not fun at all anymore :/

If it's stopped being fun then you've arrived at the point you should want to be at. No pain go gain, etc. If you just started in June, you're still pretty new compared to many of your opponents. The MMR is to blame for what you experience, but I recommend you don't chase the meta any more than you want to, and instead focus on the fundamentals of your class and playstyle. When the meta changes, if you've become too dependent on it, you'll have the rug pulled out from under you, but if you take the time to learn your class in this punishing meta, you'll be a better player at the end of it.

That being said cheese is a fundamental part of BGs. It's part of the competition really.
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast