Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Nothing in PTS patch notes about Cyrodiil performances fixes

twitch_zero
twitch_zero
✭✭✭
Biggest disappointment in the patch notes is that there is nothing on specific cyrodiil fixes given the current performance problems really only escalated when they rolled back the previous performance fixes. There has been no communication at all about fixing the problems from that last performance patch and re-implementing it.
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Disappointing, but not surprising.
  • caeliusstarbreaker
    caeliusstarbreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s cause they can’t fix it.
    Rhage Lionpride DC Stamina Templar
    K-Hole
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you look at their performances improvement plans from https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/56681 , you will see that there are 3 changes which are supposed to help server performances in update 26 while the others are still focus on frame rates.

"Q2 2020: Update 26

Server Optimization & Stability
    Non-combat Pets: We are rewriting how non-combat pets are handled to be more performant (work better, more efficiently, and take up less overhead/resources on the server. Internal bug fixing is underway. This work is on track to release with Update 26.

Player Character Loading: We are making the player character loading process multi-threaded on the server to improve performance. Internal bug fixing is underway. This work is on track to release with Update 26.
    Client Optimization & Stability (previously named - Frame rate improvements phase 2)
    Multi-threaded Fixture Creation on the Client: This work centers around how art assets are constructed and drawn on the client, ultimately spreading this work out over multiple cores. Internal bug fixing is underway. This work is on track to release with Update 26.
    Fixture Creation: This work is complete and on track to release with Update 26.
    Character Update: This work centers around how characters are drawn on the client, spreading work out over multiple cores. This work is complete and on track to release with Update 26.
    FX Update: This work is complete and on track to release with Update 26.
    Behind-the-scenes Combat Ability Improvements Phase 3
    AoE Ability Performance on the Server: This work focuses on making these ability types more specialized so that they are more efficient on server performance. The code work is complete – data work has been shifted to Update 27. The current focus is on tracking down current issues on the live servers. Note: The overall player experience for these abilities (damage/functionality) should not change."

I have marked in bold the changes affecting the server and possibily lowering the ping.

First change affects non combat pets which are irrelevant in PvP since those are disabled.

Second change resolves around "Player Character Loading".
    Hopefully this will help even though it has not been mentioned in the patch notes.

Third change mentions a "data work being shifted to Update 27" which sound like it won't be effective until the next update.

They also mention that "the current focus is on tracking down issues on the live servers". They are still trying to understand what's happening , 6 years in , and don't have any solid plan to fix server performances for pvp.

They also won't address any veteran player who know what's happening and who can provide important proofs , hints and guidance to solve those problems. I once messaged an important staff member at ZOS and explained to him how it works when players ride to a populated location and crash instantly. The Zos employee told me that he never heard such a thing and then proceeded to ask what kind of hardwares I use which are really not a problem.

There are several bugs in pvp , not related to performances which could be fixed easily to ease our quality of life but they won't approach the issue and won't spend resources or again speak to active pvp players to attempt to fix it.

The combat bug is one example. The fact that it has been ignored for so long is a proof that nobody at ZOS pvp on a regular basis in Cyrodiil. Their entire team neglects huge problems like this because they don't pvp and the money keeps coming in from the questers and they make sure to have the new series of crown crates in time every few months.
    Edited by frozywozy on April 21, 2020 12:50PM
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • Elo106
    Elo106
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disappointing indeed :(
  • twitch_zero
    twitch_zero
    ✭✭✭
    @frozywozy none of those performance fixes are about what has been happening for the last month or 2 in cyrodiil with ever increasing lag, ability desyncs and load screens every few steps in the north of cyrodiil even while the population in decreasing. Its not a ping issue either I play from Australia and it hasn't been getting specifically worse. As I said performance has been going drastically downhill since they rolled back the last performance fixes which caused excessive crashing, something in that patch or the rollback is causing these issues specifically in cyrodiil. There is nothing to indicate that they are looking at these specific issues at all.

Bugs are another issue the combat bug especially, IIRC they were going to remove some actions from the restriction of being out of combat (like changing items on the utility menu) but they have never done that. Quite frankly if they are not going to fix it they should just go back to the way it was before the in combat restrictions.
    Edited by twitch_zero on April 21, 2020 10:56PM
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @frozywozy none of those performance fixes are about what has been happening for the last month or 2 in cyrodiil with ever increasing lag, ability desyncs and load screens every few steps in the north of cyrodiil even while the population in decreasing. Its not a ping issue either I play from Australia and it hasn't been getting specifically worse. As I said performance has been going drastically downhill since they rolled back the last performance fixes which caused excessive crashing, something in that patch or the rollback is causing these issues specifically in cyrodiil. There is nothing to indicate that they are looking at these specific issues at all.

Bugs are another issue the combat bug especially, IIRC they were going to remove some actions from the restriction of being out of combat (like changing items on the utility menu) but they have never done that. Quite frankly if they are not going to fix it they should just go back to the way it was before the in combat restrictions.

I never said that the current fixes in update 26 were addressing the bugs introduced in the latest patches which were supposed to address performances. I was simply quoting the changes coming and showing my disappointement in general since I'm afraid it won't change much to the major issues.
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • justaquickword
    justaquickword
    ✭✭✭✭
    When was the last time anyone saw a non combat pet in Cyrodiil...
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They can start with looking at Hiti set, nowhere in Cyrodiil is as laggy as being around a group using that set even if they are just light attacking. It also lagged outside of Cyrodiil in certain instances on the PTS.

ZOS has the tools to analyze and check if that set is really a big contributor to lag...
  • antihero727
    antihero727
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting actual non “just tell them something to make them shut up” info from ZOS is a violation of TOS
    Veldrn-AD Magica Sorc
    Bizarro Veldrn-AD Stam Sorc
    Antiherro-AD Stam DK
    Antihero-AD Magplar
    Aww Crit-AD Magblade
    AD Since PC beta
    On A lag free vacation
    for the near and far future
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe not all the way, but the Feb 5 patch broke everything very, very badly. They need to roll back whatever "fix" they did in that.

I mean, I died to resource guards yesterday. RESOURCE GUARDS!
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    Maybe not all the way, but the Feb 5 patch broke everything very, very badly. They need to roll back whatever "fix" they did in that.

I mean, I died to resource guards yesterday. RESOURCE GUARDS!

lol I got in for an hour Wednesday before I noped out. Got 10 kills, never once saw my health move very far from players although I do spam heals more now when my health bar is not moving because it probably is and I just don't see it, and the only time I felt threatened and almost died was to guards where I was alternating hitting vigor and my health pot and neither were going off.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If input delay wont be fixed for another 3 months - there simply nothing to do ingame than.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They said pets were a big reason for performance problems and random disconnections, so can we get rid of that dog at the main gate in Cyrodiil please?
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I know the source of the lag. Its all the deer mounts!
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be on to something. Removed deer from Cyrodiil to try to reduce lag. Launch 2 years of non stop events awarding flashier deer mount, entire game goes to ***.

Coincidence? I think not.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

Might be on to something. Removed deer from Cyrodiil to try to reduce lag. Launch 2 years of non stop events awarding flashier deer mount, entire game goes to ***.

Coincidence? I think not.

People keep saying that, that might be a FPS issue, but that should all be happening locally, your local machine renders all the flashy effects, you can see what the server "displays" occasionally when you log in to an extremely crowded instance and see just black silhouettes standing around.

The lag is down to the servers.

Edited by Mr_Walker on April 27, 2020 11:31AM
  • csparks1
    csparks1
    ✭✭✭

YES!! There used to be deer and rabbits in Cyro, they got rid of them because they were causing all the Lag in Cyro!

WHY WOULD THEY BRING THEM BACK!~! It's those damn elks I tell ya!!
  • csparks1
    csparks1
    ✭✭✭
    On a more serious note, I have been playing since the beginning - and I don't remember it being this bad before in CYRO. I remember it being CLOSE to this bad a couple of times - but they did things like HOTFIXES when we were all bitching. Now when there is something that SERIOUSLY affects Cyro gameplay

"We will be addressing that 'later' " (paraphrasing - but that's basically all I have heard for the last 2-3 years)

Every 6-8 months or so they post or say something to string us along and make us think that they are doing something. Then they just make more PvE content and costumes and houses (don't get me wrong, I love that stuff).

For the first 3 years of this game, I had hardly even ever done a dungeon. I only ran through delves to get the skyshards if I needed more skill points for PVP. Performance in Cyro started to be very frustrating -0 and that was when my entire guild either QUIT and moved on - or started doing PVE (which is what I did). I used to PVP 4-8+ hours every day, and now - I find it hard to make myself even do it for a couple of hours. I had NEVER done, or even WANTED to do a trial until this point. And I guess that is where I'm at right now, I really don't much WANT to do the PvE content - but

I can't do what I want because for the past 2-3 years - every time I start to enjoy PVP again - I *&^%&^% CRASH OR MY SKILLS DONT WORK!, oh and that damn stuck in combat bug!!

I quit playing on the PS4 a few months back (yes I played on the PC since the beginning and the PS4 for the past 2 yrs?) because IT WAS UNPLAYABLE IN PVP.

PLEASE FIX SOMETHING or I am going to have to just quit. This is my favorite game, I have spent a LOT of money on it - but I am just about to the point where the accumulated dissatisfaction is greater than the enjoyment.

next step is to sell everything in my craft bag and cancel eso+, after that I'm done - everyone knows you can't play this game without the damn craft bag

Edited by csparks1 on April 27, 2020 7:16PM
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    csparks1 wrote: »

YES!! There used to be deer and rabbits in Cyro, they got rid of them because they were causing all the Lag in Cyro!

WHY WOULD THEY BRING THEM BACK!~! It's those damn elks I tell ya!!

Elk are just big deer. Big deer = big lag!
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • MusCanus
    MusCanus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bunch of baboons in a server room would cause less harm than the "Performance Improvements Plan", lol.