Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Leveling Provisioning?

• wingnamrwb17_ESO
    wingnamrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It'd easy because the material are too over abundant. It's so easy to get the mat and the recipe if you open all the crate etc
  • Left_Hand
    Left_Hand
    ✭✭✭
    I havent gotten a single higher tier recipe for a while now, i'm stuck at level 28 provisioning, with loads of ingredients but no new recipes...
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Are you raiding inside buildings? Nightstands, wardrobes, etc? Thats where I typically find my recipes. I just found 3 level 20 and 1 level 25 recipe today.
  • chimichi
    chimichi
    I have seen grocers in davons watch and in vulkhel guard. Not that i needed them.My Provisioneer is Lvl 10- and provisioning has hit 31 before i left Town last night to get some skillpoints. I have one each to make an extra serving, no other points put, highest recipes used were the lvl 15 drinks my other char found. the last two lvls i did with lvl 1 recipes. around 300 IP i think, but i drowned in mats.

Maybe it helps that i wasn't looking for mats in the first place. I am trying to find the motifs i'm still lacking. Going through every container in Davons watch, banking the loot to my provisioner, logging to the provisioner, taking the stuff, going a round in vulkhel guard, muling the non-food stuff and excess recipes to the first char... did that a while. I wonder how far i can go with the t1 stuff.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stealing materials is vital. Getting recipes are important. Find a commerce guild and you will probably see recipes for 50 gold tops. That alone will make leveling easier.

Don't trash any materials that are for provisioning. And craft everything. Sell what you dont need or want, and you will get there.
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Torigoma wrote: »
    I heard someone say this is easy, but it's a Pain in the Butt to me.
    Is there any Recipe who's ingredients are ALL sold by a merchant/Grocer?

Yesterday I submitted an in game bug report questioning whether provisioning was working as intended as it's so very very fast to level up. I'm level 12 in game and my provisioning is in it's 30's and that's with simply spending a couple of mins at the camp-fire in town whenever I return as my inv is full or whatever.

I could easily get to 50 today if i wanted to and another guild member who is 50 also questioned whether it's working as intended.

Provisioning items must be the easiest ones to find, they are everywhere,

Make sure you are making the highest level.

For example level 1, 5, 10 and 15 Bread and pies all use Meal, so don't craft level 1 if you have higher recipes

Look in every desk, wardrobe for recipes, Every other day I find one in one of the desks or wardrobe in the daggerfall bank, admittedly I already have them, but there are a lot of them around.

The following is a nice little chart someone put together showing that you need to make what food so you can plan accordingly and also know what items to make sure you keep

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2046860/Games/ESO/Provisioning_QuickReference_White.png

• Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ojustaboo wrote: »
    I heard someone say this is easy, but it's a Pain in the Butt to me.
    Is there any Recipe who's ingredients are ALL sold by a merchant/Grocer?

Make sure you are making the highest level.

For example level 1, 5, 10 and 15 Bread and pies all use Meal, so don't craft level 1 if you have higher recipes

Oh yes, this is a great point I forgot to make myself. Never craft the first one in the list.. you need to start with the last one (most powerful) and you will gain more XP and not waste the same materials.
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are missing the Point. I am asking how do people do this at lvl 5-15? The If you use only low level items (Items within that lvl range), It takes 150-200 FINISHED items to get to rank 25 or so. and from there, even more. How is that Fast? I could spend the 2-3 hours raiding a town to get the mats, or I could spend the same amount of time farming a Boss and get Blacksmithing or the like to the same rank.

The only way I can see someone doing this is if they did it as they came through the levels (made level appropriate items) which give 1/2-1 level each. meaning your at least lvl 30-40 before hitting rank 50.

I have never bought any provisioning items from a grocer and I have never gone out looking for provisioning stuff either. S Imply go out have fun, quest etc and look in every barrel, bag, basket, satchel you pass, You get literally hundreds of items.

My guild wont let us put provisioning items in the guild bank as it's considered a waste of space as they are in such abundance.

Not sure what your saying about it taking 150 - 200 finished items to get to level 25, yesterday I stood at a camp-fire just pressing R, over and over again, in a minute or so I had gone up about 3 - 5 levels, it's insanely quick, I'm not sure how much quicker you expected it to level?

My next highest crafting which I have put far far more time in is only level 9

There is no way you can level blacksmithing up as quick as provisioning, you are doing something wrong somewhere.

• Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think many people are missing the point of what is wrong with provisioniing. If you start provisioning with your character and progress it together with your levelling, you will have no issues. On the other side, if you decide to start it late you are in for a world of pain.
    After hitting level 20 me and my gf decided to switch professions, I started up Enchanting and she started Provisioning. Guess what? She couldn't find any low level recipes, all that would drop were level 20 or up! I created a low level char, found some recipes and gave them to her. Now she can start up, right? Wrong. All the materials she is finding are relative to the 20 up recipes! Either the drops are tailored to your level or area level but not to your provisioning level.
    We have been painstakingly harvesting low level materials with alts for a couple of days but it's quite slow and you need to get to level 20 to unlock the nex tier of recipes.
    It's all quite frustrating as when i levelled it with my main it was a breeze, starting late instead is a nightmare.
    Tonight we will go to a level 10 area and see if we can get any drops there - if they are bound to character level though, we are screwed (it takes over 100 level 1 crafts to make 1 level around 11~12...)
    Honor is a dead man's code.
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    Join a trade guild (or five), the materials are crazy cheap, except maybe the broths. Loot everything in sight. I leveled mine to 46 yesterday using only level 5-25 recipes.
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zargorius wrote: »
    I think many people are missing the point of what is wrong with provisioniing. If you start provisioning with your character and progress it together with your levelling, you will have no issues. On the other side, if you decide to start it late you are in for a world of pain.
    After hitting level 20 me and my gf decided to switch professions, I started up Enchanting and she started Provisioning. Guess what? She couldn't find any low level recipes, all that would drop were level 20 or up! I created a low level char, found some recipes and gave them to her. Now she can start up, right? Wrong. All the materials she is finding are relative to the 20 up recipes! Either the drops are tailored to your level or area level but not to your provisioning level.
    We have been painstakingly harvesting low level materials with alts for a couple of days but it's quite slow and you need to get to level 20 to unlock the nex tier of recipes.
    It's all quite frustrating as when i levelled it with my main it was a breeze, starting late instead is a nightmare.
    Tonight we will go to a level 10 area and see if we can get any drops there - if they are bound to character level though, we are screwed (it takes over 100 level 1 crafts to make 1 level around 11~12...)

Are you saying that at level 20, if you go to the starter islands you only get level 20 + recipes and ingredients?

If so then that's a pain and I would think it's not working as intended (and you should file an ingame bug report with /bug), but joining a crafting guild (if you don't like guilds, just join for a few days) will get you round this problem.

If your saying that at level 20, questing and exploring level 20 areas you are not finding low level ingredients or recipes, this is working as intended and how it works in any other mmo I can think of. You always have to farm the areas at the correct level for the items you want, so if at player level 50, I decide I want to start blacksmithing, I would have to return to the starter islands/first island to get the first level stuff.

Edited by Ojustaboo on April 9, 2014 11:29AM
  • Cepeza
    Cepeza
    ✭✭✭
    To answer you question from OP, no there are no recipes you can buy all mats for. Generally imho only provisioning and alchemy are crafts that make sense for a main character. Anything else is just a waste of precious skill points. Don't get me wrong tailoring, blacksmith, woodworking, etc. are very usefull, but not for a main char though. I hit provisioning level 50 yesterday at character level 27. What you need to do to be able to level up quickly without using too much bag/vault space is to check at cooking place the list of mats only those that you need to craft the highes rank recipe you've got. Write down a list and farm those only. Sell the rest. Sell even those that are for crafting higher rank food/drinks you can not craft yet. Keep only those you can craft. Don't worry you still will find a plenty of them later on. I was lucky to be able to find 2-3 veteran ranks and a couple blue recipes before patch 1.0.1. After that patch they "fixed" loot tables so you were not able to find any blue recipe at all anymore. Patch 1.0.2 made green recipes drop more often but still no blue. However, for green recipes there are always one main ingredient and one secondary ingredient, and a third for specials like blue recipes. The mains you will need to loot from crates, bags, etc. the secondaries you can either loot or byu from fishmongers and other rare seen NPCs. They are mostly located near city docks or shores. Buy only stuff from them you have a high need for. e.g. you have 4 primary ingredients and 2 special, than you can craft a blue recipe. Byu only the 2 secondaries from the fishmonger that you need to craft the 2 blue. Otherwise you will waste too much gold. Recipes as such you can get from lockers, tables, etc. As all of them respawn after some time (I guess it's 6 some 12 hours or so) fist thing I do after first logging in that day is a thorough city swag. So I've got absolutely no issue with finding not enough mats.
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. Vendors don't sell ingredients. And this is an insanely easy profession to level. Just look in crates, barrels, etc. I'm already level 50 in provisioning, and my character is 25.

This is wrong to some extent. You can buy some ingredients from vendors. If you are on the AD side then loot the containers in the bank and you will get loads. Loot as many cupboards, dressers that you can find and you will get loads.

It is very easy to level and ive got 3 of my characters to 50 will little problem, 1 of the chars is only level 8.

Also if you are in a guild then most people either sell them for 27 gold each or put them in the guild bank for free.

Look for recipes above your prov level. If you are level 1 then try to do level 5 recipes, level 10, level 15, 25 and so on. Doesn't matter that you are that character level or not.

Edit: you will need to use skill points to make double recipes and blue.
    Edited by Loxy37 on April 9, 2014 11:53AM
  • Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ojustaboo wrote: »
    Zargorius wrote: »

Are you saying that at level 20, if you go to the starter islands you only get level 20 + recipes and ingredients?

If so then that's a pain and I would think it's not working as intended (and you should file an ingame bug report with /bug), but joining a crafting guild (if you don't like guilds, just join for a few days) will get you round this problem.

If your saying that at level 20, questing and exploring level 20 areas you are not finding low level ingredients or recipes, this is working as intended and how it works in any other mmo I can think of. You always have to farm the areas at the correct level for the items you want, so if at player level 50, I decide I want to start blacksmithing, I would have to return to the starter islands/first island to get the first level stuff.

That's correct, if a level 20 with Level 1 in Provisioning goes to a starting area he will find only materials and recipes pertinent to his level. As at level 20 the Provisioning requires to be upgraded it prevents you from levelling the skill unless you send in recipes and materials from a different character of lower level. I will be submitting a bug report in regards as I think these should scale from your Provisioning level and not character level.
    Honor is a dead man's code.
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is true. The loot from containers like barrels and crates are levelled.
  • knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm. That's not good that it scales to character level. I would have thought it would be tied to the level of the zone, like the mobs are.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    What I have noticed is that as I gain in provisioning level I do get updated components from the same sacks and barrels.

Even got recipes that were for higher level provisioning... so I think that is awesome.

Blacksmith, clothier and woodworking I think that is zone based.
  • Cepeza
    Cepeza
    ✭✭✭
    Level of loot from barrels and crates depends on player crafting level AND the area you gather it! As far as I can tell it does not scale with your character level.

With provisioning @ lvl 20 I get in Grahtwood all mats I need to craft food/drings up to level 20 ONLY! In Greenshade up to 25.

With provisioning @ lvl 50 I get in Grathwood all mats I need to craft food/drings up to level 25. In Greenshade up to 35.
    Edited by Cepeza on April 9, 2014 1:19PM
  • chimichi
    chimichi
    my provisioner is still lvl 10, but provisioning skill 40. no new skillpoints or recipes. highest used some lvl 15 "dragon shirza stuff". I think its around 300 IP for a lvl 1 craft, 1000 for lvl 5, 3000 lvl 10 recipe...around that. i need around 120k IP for next level.
    41. i gathered with a lvl 10 toon in auridon and a lvl 14 in davons watch. compared to the other crafting skills its simply ridiculous, especially with the teleport gather bots now my other professions are stagnating. With Provisioning leveling at that pace i expect to have it maxed before my provisioner finishes auridon.

Edit: For now it makes up the difference in gold income i had before the teleporters hit. double servings for the merchant , otherwise i would be quite broke.
    Edited by chimichi on April 9, 2014 4:10PM
  • Khala
    Khala
    Theres a grocer who sells lowbie ingredients in Vulkhel Guard, near the docks. Yet to find a guy who'd sell higher level stuff..
    Khala - Khajiit Nightblade