Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Leveling Provisioning?

Torigoma
Torigoma
I heard someone say this is easy, but it's a Pain in the Butt to me.
Is there any Recipe who's ingredients are ALL sold by a merchant/Grocer?
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Vendors don't sell ingredients. And this is an insanely easy profession to level. Just look in crates, barrels, etc. I'm already level 50 in provisioning, and my character is 25.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Jessabella
    Jessabella
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if this will help you at all, but I wrote this awhile back in PTS testing. It is easy to lvl but does require effort to some degree only because of space! Just scroll to the top because for some reason the link leads to the last post and not the guide!

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/53833/guide-managing-and-upgrading-inventory-space-with-provisioning#latest
    Edited by Jessabella on April 8, 2014 3:16AM
    Mara's Tester <3Psijic Order/PTS Tester
    Jessabella >:)Belladonna Bacia >:)Serves her Master >:)Aurora Rose
    Mara's Moxie <3The Sidekick Order <3The Psijic Order <3Elder Moot
    And my big fat Naked Nord :pAte my Clothes
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    raid every container you find, and once you have a level 5 or 10 recipe make that one... it will level you up to 20.
  • Torigoma
    Torigoma
    Alyrn_Grey wrote: »
    raid every container you find, and once you have a level 5 or 10 recipe make that one... it will level you up to 20.
    See, thats the Thing. I've been doing just that, and I have plently of Iron pelt and the like, but I can't find any Corn Mash or Thin Broth, or Wine Grapes and the like. I know that SOME are sold by Grocers, but I've no idea where they are (there is none in Daggerfall I can find). And even then, the recpies give Very Small amounts of EXP for each item, it's only higher levels ones that give 1-2 levels. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong here that some people could get to 50 Provisioning by lvl 15.
  • Phranq
    Phranq
    ✭✭✭
    Provisioning *was* extremely easy to level.. all the ingredients you need are found in barrels and crates and such.. there are a few grocers who sell ingredients but those are insanely expensive (45 gold for tier 1 stuffs) keep hitting up every barrel and crate you see.. the trouble is that since the last few patches, the tier 2 and higher recipes just don't drop. I get TONS of the tier one recipes, but zippo for tier 2, so I am stuck at around lvl 20 provisioning as it takes a LOT of tier one food to level now.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Odd, though each alliance area seems to have a different set of recipes you learn and those areas tend to drop the ingredients for those recipes. You don't even have to do everything just the level 5 & 10 ones once you learn them.
  • Holmes
    Holmes
    ✭✭
    Most recipes drop from chests, dressers and wardrobes. Barrels, sacks and crates only drop ingredients. I suggest you go around the main city, and start systematically farming every house for dressers, nightstands, cupboards, chests and so on. The bank and the bar were always good loot places for me.

If you get lucky, you might even get one or two motifs.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like what everyone said, you have to loot everything. By the time my first character was level 8, I was a level 20 provisioner.

Don't buy anything off the vender because it is just tossing cash in the fire... waste of money. Save that cash for a horse.
  • Food4Thought
    Food4Thought
    ✭✭✭
    To the OP ...

It sounds like your problem is you have only the Level 1 recipes to work with and it seems like you aren't making any progress. It seems like the real issue here is that you aren't getting any higher level recipe drops and this is stalling your progress. My suggestion to you would be to look for a very large crafting guild to join (you can join up to 5 guilds). There you can gain access to the guild auction house and can probably find the very recipes you need to bump your skills up. I'm a level 30 provisioner myself (character level 12) and have done it with just level 5 and level 1 recipes.

But as a few others have pointed out, I think there is an issue with recipe drops now for some reason. I have no problem getting the same low level recipes I have managed to gather on day one of early release, but I have yet to get any new recipes since then regardless of how many things I loot.

The crafting guild I am a member of has almost 400 members and I have yet to see any new level crafting recipes show up on the guild auction house either. It is all the same level 1 and level 5 recipes that I already have.
  • Food4Thought
    Food4Thought
    ✭✭✭
    The sad thing is I have already begun to loot recipe ingriedients for recipes I don't have nor have never even seen. And at some point I am going to have to make decisions on which items to keep or sell as inventory is always an issue with provisions and enchanting.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Food4Thought oh that is a good point. Recipes are important. When you get to the level 10-15 point of provisioning, you should be crafting food that gives 3-5 regen to a stat, or +96 for a stat... that will bolster your leveling up quite a bit. And we are just talking green recipes.

Also, make sure you put a point in provisioning for the upper level of stuff you can craft and your ability to do blue recipes.

To check your recipes learned, go to the crafting screen and uncheck ingrediants and skill, and you will see all that you are able to do. If you have the stuff to make it, then maybe your skill isn't high enough OR you haven't invested the right skill points into it yet.
  • Torigoma
    Torigoma
    To the OP ...

It sounds like your problem is you have only the Level 1 recipes to work with
    No, I have 5s, 10s, 15s, 20s. The problem is after the first few levels, of that range, the exp drops drastically. you make 2-3 and you get 1/2 to a Full level for each item. Then you Start only getting 1/20 to 1/30 for each one made. So you end up having to do 40-50 of each level just to get to the next one.

Edited by Torigoma on April 8, 2014 1:22PM
  • kitsinni
    kitsinni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if this is an issue with your progression but you have to put a point in to a cooking skill to make the recipes above level 19. Even if you have the recipe and the ingredients you can't craft it. If you are not sure if you have these you can go to a cooking fire and uncheck have skill and have ingredients and it should show you every recipe you have learned. Once I one point in the skill to be able to make above level 19 recipes getting 50 provisioning took almost no time at all.

If it is just lack of the recipes I'm not sure what to say. I have found them very easily and usually end up deleting multiple copies. Try joining a friendly guild my guild puts all the extras in the guild bank.
  • anghara
    anghara
    ✭✭✭
    Barrels and whatnot do respawn periodically - so it is worthwhile to re-loot the city houses etc. periodically - you don't need to find new barrels and crates in totally new areas to keep collecting ingredients. If you're not finding enough ingredients to keep crafting, try that. I have not even been trying to level provisioning - I just craft periodically to keep the bank cleared out - and mine is 27 at character level 15. And I only craft the highest level recipes I have - I just deleted the lower level mats to save room in the bank.

One thing is, though, the level of mats you find is related to the zone but I think also your level - so if you're trying to find higher level mats and level provisioning on a low-level character you may be on a plateau until your main gets higher or, as someone suggested, if you join a guild who can help out.
  • jambam817_ESO
    jambam817_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm almost 40 provisioning. I find so many provisioning mats that, with the limited inventory, its kinda of ludicrous. My bank is all cooking matts except for the stack of wood, iron and steel. i have a mule that holds all the other things i've collected.
    Provisioning became my main tradeskill simply because it was the first one i got up so quickly. I have friends that have been working on enchanting and alchemy and they are still sub-level 10.
  • Food4Thought
    Food4Thought
    ✭✭✭
    I'm almost 40 provisioning. I find so many provisioning mats that, with the limited inventory, its kinda of ludicrous. My bank is all cooking matts except for the stack of wood, iron and steel. i have a mule that holds all the other things i've collected.
    Provisioning became my main tradeskill simply because it was the first one i got up so quickly. I have friends that have been working on enchanting and alchemy and they are still sub-level 10.

Yes, I agree enchanting and alchemy are indeed a pain. Very slow to level just because mats seem to be hard to come by.

Food on the other hand ...

I'm using nothing but level 5 recipes and I already have my Provisioning in the low 30s. One run through a quest area town and I have enough resources to gain 1 - 2 levels in Provisioning. Provisioning is by far the eastest and quickest skill to level. I just wish I could get my hands on some higher level recipes some I can cook up these ingredients that are taking up valuable realestate in my bank.
  • dannomite82
    dannomite82
    ✭✭
    It IS ridiculously easy if you loot everything. It just can be taxing on your inventory.
    My cooking is like 47 whereas my next highest crafting is like 11.
    Holgrum put some pants on. Holgrum heal me I'm dying. Nag... Nag... Nag...
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yea they should just rename the skill "Thief" to make it clear how you actually skill it up :P
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not even trying to level provisioning and I'm up to level 20 on it. I just stop occasionally and clear out some inventory by making stuff. The last few times I did it by only making the level 5 & 10 items in my inventory and it was amazingly fast to level from like 8 to 20.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    Yea they should just rename the skill "Thief" to make it clear how you actually skill it up :P

YES!

When you in someone's home, and they say hello and you ignore them while you go through all their furniture and barrels looking for food components... Master Thief should be the achievement for collecting enough stuff from barrels and bags.

• knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭
    It's going to become much harder very soon when the criminal system is in place and you won't be able to steal all of your mats for provisioning. A good motivation to get it leveled now, I think.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to reinforce how quickly this levels, I'm already level 50 in provisioning on my level 25 Khajiit. I'd actually argue that inspiration gains after level 15 need to drop dramatically.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Rana1014
    Rana1014
    ✭✭✭
    No. Vendors don't sell ingredients. And this is an insanely easy profession to level. Just look in crates, barrels, etc. I'm already level 50 in provisioning, and my character is 25.

Actually, I'm in the Ebonheart Pact and in Davon's Watch there's a "grocer" who sells ingredients.
  • knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there are grocers who sell the mats, too, but that's crazy expensive given that you can just pick it up almost everywhere.

I mean, you can even make a quick sweep on a daily basis through the main towns, and you will stockpile a ton of crafting mats that way without spending gold.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I found provisions sell for good enough gold also. I keep a few provisions I'll need for adventuring, sell the rest and that usually pays for my repairs.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's actually the only easy and quickest profession in the game and I maxed mine at level 30, I looted every single crate, basket, drawer etc. saved everything I came across spread across 6 alts and I had plenty of food to max it.

I still have so many ingredients left I could probably max it on another character or two xD I guess I am a hoarder in video games LOL but hey it paid off :D now if only clothing was as easy...
  • Torigoma
    Torigoma
    You guys are missing the Point. I am asking how do people do this at lvl 5-15? The If you use only low level items (Items within that lvl range), It takes 150-200 FINISHED items to get to rank 25 or so. and from there, even more. How is that Fast? I could spend the 2-3 hours raiding a town to get the mats, or I could spend the same amount of time farming a Boss and get Blacksmithing or the like to the same rank.

The only way I can see someone doing this is if they did it as they came through the levels (made level appropriate items) which give 1/2-1 level each. meaning your at least lvl 30-40 before hitting rank 50.
    Edited by Torigoma on April 9, 2014 5:35AM
  • Eris
    Eris
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find that if I just loot things around wherever I happen to be (like all the places in the bank (Daggerfall at least) and the barrels and things around the world, and cook/brew to reduce my inventory of excess, I ended up with a mid-20s rank provisoner when my character level was still 10. I think I was in the 8-10 range just coming out of the prison looting all of the containers and chests (which also got me some green and 1 blue gear item).
    Side effects of reading messages on forums can cause nausea, head aches, spontaneous fits of rage, urination due to intense laughter, and sometimes the death of your monitor or other object in throwing range. If you find that you are reading forums more than 24 hours a day, please consult your nearest temporal physicist.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    I keep telling you I found some level 5 recipes and crafted those, then I found a couple of level 10. Between those I leveled to my current 20 easily. And now I have a bunch that needed a point invested in provisioning to learn the next group of recipes.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Note I think I crafted a grand total of 60 or 70 rank 1 recipes. Thats it. The rest have all been higher ranked. Rank 1 ones barely move my skill bar but rank 5 still moves it a respectable amount.