Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Death of TESO pretty much guaranteed

• Vivec
    Vivec
    ✭✭✭
    Vivec wrote: »
    well, it's new. MMO's are always paltry on content in the beginning...it's not like wow had a plethora of stuff in the beginning either. took a long time for it to get to where it is.

MMO's need TIME, that's the problem, time and money. it's a delicate dance they're playing, but it does need to get its act together though and start fixing quests and bug fixes too.

i'm pretty much at the point there I don't think i'm going to let my sub kick in.

You, me, and many other players friend. Yes WoW did start off similarly, but WoW didn't have anywhere near the competition, or expectations. Which is the reason no MMO released today can even dream of WoW's success.

It's much more cutthroat in the MMO market now than it was in 2004. They spent too much money on advertising and cinematics, and not enough on making the game good for the long run.

Um, your wrong, WOW release 2004, EverQuest 1999, EverQuest 2 2004, Ultima Online 97, Final Fantasy XI 2004, and many many more.

Oh and lets not forget WOW's marketing campaign that was not what I would call cheap.
    youtu.be/mT8maUTzE48

*sigh* I'm tired of people trying to compare today's MMO market to the MMO market a decade ago. They need to take an economics class before they post things like this.
  • xshadowclawzz12
    "They will will be doing the same thing every other MMO does once it actually does come out, just keep scaling up numbers to make adventure zones "harder."
    What makes you say that? From what i've seen so far, instead of increasing the numbers they instead increase a single monsters strenght, defence, health, etc.
  • scruffycavetroll
    scruffycavetroll
    ✭✭✭
    Gohlar wrote: »
    BUT ESO does have something going for it which is ELDER SCROLLS.

This mindset didn't work for STAR WARS. Freaking STAR WARS, which is many times more popular than TES. Saying it'll survive cause it's TES is a massively disproven argument.

It's not even a good tes game imo. Way too linear and theme park.

it's ok...i think they did a good job of keeping as true to the single player game as they could for an MMO. I'm surprised that there aren't more skill trees, like necromancy for mages for example.

I think it's slightly more linear than warcraft, or the other games i've played. For the most part, you can go to a zone, and grab the quests there, like WoW, but due to level, you probably won't be able to do them...the ONE main thing, is that main quest line that you need to do, if parts of that are broken you're pretty much stuck until they get around to fixing it...which is where i'm at now in Corumont (i think it's called, that city in northern grahtwood), i have to go to a portal and talk to some one, i enter, and the NPC just flat out isn't there.

i really like what's going on here, but damn, it really needs work.
    Edited by scruffycavetroll on April 17, 2014 2:37PM
  • Vivec
    Vivec
    ✭✭✭
    There's a reason that games like SWTOR and TESO, games with HUGE production budgets and sub fees and an awesome franchise behind it, crash and burn.

Meanwhile, games like GW2 go on to become the fastest selling MMO in history, and only cost half of what it took to make SWTOR, a third of what it took to make TESO, doesn't have a sub fee, and didn't have massive advertising campaigns.

Publishers need to get their act together and start thinking like it's 2014.
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aett_Thorn wrote: »
    I play this game because of what it is, not because it doesn't have features that Game X had. If I wanted all of the features of Game X, I'd play game X. Instead, I like the features that TESO has, so I am here, and will likely be here for some time to come.

Well said. I think that TESO is more different than MMOs that will remain nameless than is initially apparent. If you're looking for a game that plays like another game, play it. If you're looking for a slightly different experience, ESO may be for you.

• Vivec
    Vivec
    ✭✭✭
    "They will will be doing the same thing every other MMO does once it actually does come out, just keep scaling up numbers to make adventure zones "harder."
    What makes you say that? From what i've seen so far, instead of increasing the numbers they instead increase a single monsters strenght, defence, health, etc.

That's what I mean by numbers.

Raid 1: dodge this swipe that does 100 damage, this AoE field that does 50 damage a second, and kill this boss with 50,000 health

Raid 2: dodge this swipe that does 400 damage, this AoE field that does 150 damage a second, and kill this boss with 100,000 health

Raid 3: dodge this swipe that does 1000 damage, this AoE field that does 300 damage a second, and kill this boss with 400,000 health

It's gonna end this way. Making the raids harder through numbers, and not through creativity.
  • Vivec
    Vivec
    ✭✭✭
    Skyrim cost $85 million to make.

If they hadn't made TESO, and spent that $200 million on a new single player TES game, could you imagine how amazing that game would have been?!?!?!

What a waste....instead of another amazing adventure, we get another generic "AAA" mmo.
  • jimredtalon
    jimredtalon
    ✭✭✭
    well, it's new. MMO's are always paltry on content in the beginning...it's not like wow had a plethora of stuff in the beginning either. took a long time for it to get to where it is.

MMO's need TIME, that's the problem, time and money. it's a delicate dance they're playing, but it does need to get its act together though and start fixing quests and bug fixes too.

i'm pretty much at the point there I don't think i'm going to let my sub kick in.

You, me, and many other players friend. Yes WoW did start off similarly, but WoW didn't have anywhere near the competition, or expectations. Which is the reason no MMO released today can even dream of WoW's success.

It's much more cutthroat in the MMO market now than it was in 2004. They spent too much money on advertising and cinematics, and not enough on making the game good for the long run.

Um, your wrong, WOW release 2004, EverQuest 1999, EverQuest 2 2004, Ultima Online 97, Final Fantasy XI 2004, and many many more.

Oh and lets not forget WOW's marketing campaign that was not what I would call cheap.
    youtu.be/mT8maUTzE48

*sigh* I'm tired of people trying to compare today's MMO market to the MMO market a decade ago. They need to take an economics class before they post things like this.

So the millions Blizzard spent are some how different than the millions Zenimax spent. And MMO RPG's are vastly different now then they were ten years ago. Oh and apparently all the MMO's that existed and released at the same time as WOW are just figments of every ones imagination. Why don't just admit you full of it and have no real data to back up you claims. Or if you do have real data then show it. or are you just so lazy you wont even do five minutes of research.
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imryll wrote: »
    I play this game because of what it is, not because it doesn't have features that Game X had. If I wanted all of the features of Game X, I'd play game X. Instead, I like the features that TESO has, so I am here, and will likely be here for some time to come.

Well said. I think that TESO is more different than MMOs that will remain nameless than is initially apparent. If you're looking for a game that plays like another game, play it. If you're looking for a slightly different experience, ESO may be for you.

It's not different. It's the same theme park style as WoW only more linear and far more restrictive with the removal of exp in group content.

Voice acting is cool and everything, but I was hoping for more elder scrolls and less WoW. I liked WoW fine, but if I wanted theme park, I'd play that. It does it a lot better.
  • Vivec
    Vivec
    ✭✭✭
    So the millions Blizzard spent are some how different than the millions Zenimax spent.

These games are literally a decade apart.
    Edited by ZOS_SilviaS on April 17, 2014 10:13PM
  • Athise
    Athise
    Imryll wrote: »

It's not different. It's the same theme park style as WoW only more linear and far more restrictive with the removal of exp in group content.

Voice acting is cool and everything, but I was hoping for more elder scrolls and less WoW. I liked WoW fine, but if I wanted theme park, I'd play that. It does it a lot better.

My thoughts exactly , this mmo doesn't feel like any elder scroll game i've played. But it does however remind me of any generic themepark mmo. Even comparing to those generic mmo's this one has alot less content or a decent carrot on a stick to follow.
    I'm waiting and reading patchnotes to see some great gameplay improvements for this game. Trying to stay positive but it's hard.

• jimredtalon
    jimredtalon
    ✭✭✭
    So the millions Blizzard spent are some how different than the millions Zenimax spent.

These games are literally a decade apart. Did they not teach you about market trends in your school? I would ask for your money back, your ignorance is showing.

I see you only pick out one small part of my post that you could make a lame comment about then use a slanderous tone to make yourself seem smarter. Well I am still waiting to see data to prove your point.
  • Duckfather
    Duckfather
    ✭✭
    That $200M figure was debunked by Zenimax during beta :-

http://www.p4rgaming.com/zenimax-debunks-elder-scrolls-online-200m-budget-rumor-we-couldnt-have-wasted-that-much-money/

There are still no reliable indicators (that I have found) of how much it has cost, although I think it's pretty safe to say ' a lot' :)
  • Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO will survive as F2P, no question.

I call Godwin's Corollary.

You lose.

Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
  • Vivec
    Vivec
    ✭✭✭
    Duckfather wrote: »
    That $200M figure was debunked by Zenimax during beta :-

http://www.p4rgaming.com/zenimax-debunks-elder-scrolls-online-200m-budget-rumor-we-couldnt-have-wasted-that-much-money/

There are still no reliable indicators (that I have found) of how much it has cost, although I think it's pretty safe to say ' a lot' :)

You do know that the guy posts nothing but satirical content, right? Actually read the article, and look at the authors post history.

TESO cost $200 million, it's a number that was leaked.
  • feniks31_ESO
    feniks31_ESO
    ✭✭
    No battlegrounds, arenas
    Thank god, I hope I will get my fun of this game before they will decide to ruin it with such forms of extremely boring "pvp"

• Vivec
    Vivec
    ✭✭✭
    No battlegrounds, arenas
    Thank god, I hope I will get my fun of this game before they will decide to ruin it with such forms of extremely boring "pvp"

Because 10 minutes of running to every 1 minute of combat, Player vs gate/wall, and getting insta-ganked by zergs is so.....what's the word......thrilling. This is certainly the real PvP you're talking about.

Give me fast paced deathmatch, capture the flag, or territories with balanced team sizes any day. That's real PvP.