The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Code light attacks right into abilities that damage

Ranger209
Ranger209
✭✭✭✭✭
If APM is really a thing and reducing it is really needed why not code a light attack right into those abilities that do damage, or even all abilities. If done pressing force pulse will do a light attack and force pulse, pressing dizzy swing will do a light attack and a dizzy swing, etc.This will cut the APM from light attack weaving in half and close the gap created by it between those who do it well and those who don't. A lot is being said about players who just light attack, but not much is being said about players who do weave light attacks and aren't very good at it. I think more people weave and suck at it than just spam LA.

The elephant in the room balancing on a teacup is latency. The reason many people suck at weaving is latency which disrupts the timing of LA weaving. It comes and goes with fluctuating intensity and no matter what ZOS does if light attack and skill usage are independent of each other it will always come into play. Light attacks could still be spammed independently as well if that is what someone wants to do for some reason, but to effectively weave them into a rotation would no longer be impacted by latency and lag. A person with consistently low latency does not have issues with this. The system as is makes latency appear to be a lack of skill when it really is not. Also this helps those people whose internal clocks are not as accurate as others which is another big issue. A faulty internal clock is another thing that limits some more than others. This point could be viewed as skill as well, but really its just how accurate is your internal metronome. Its not skill so much as timing. Between these two things, timing of LA weaving becomes pretty hit and miss. When your clock is a bit off, and then lag injects itself into the equation for random lengths of time, and with random intensity, effective LA weaving becomes futile.
  • liningtonsweldingb16_ESO
    They need to leave weapon attacking manual.. it’s been this way since launch not every game needs a frigging auto attack... if you need to have an auto attack go play another game and stop trying to ruin what the rest of us enjoy
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve been saying this too, but people like the extra button presses I think and think it makes the game more skill based. There’s no other explanation.

That and reduce the duration of all animations to max .7 seconds.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They can’t even make a crown store home not have rain on the inside and you expect them to recode every single damage skill and remove LA? Come on..
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't ever want light/heavy attacks to be automatic, I enjoy weaving them as do others, the concern should just be to make more build variety, as well as lowering the necessity of light attack rotations. This obsession with completely overhauling core gameplay mechanics should be abandoned.

Right now, light attack weaving can count for 10-20% of an end game dps parse. Nerfing light attack damage to make it less of a requirement at say 5-10% of a parse is an excellent start. ("20%" being mag dps with vma staff).

ZOS needs to offer better competitive set alternatives, Ele Weapon only works with light attacks and not heavy attacks, VMA staff buffs light/heavy attacks (there is no back bar magicka alternative for people who don't want to weave at all), Bound Armaments, Grim Focus and Relequen don't give 2 stacks for a heavy attack, etc. If there was better alternatives, players shouldn't feel so shoehorned into that playstyle to be competitive and both sides of this argument can play the way they want.

Buffing heavy attack builds is an excellent direction as well, however I question if the PTS changes are balanced from a skill to ability ratio. Something really urkes me when a free cost 2H Heavy attack does basically the same damage as Dizzy/Wrecking Blow which are already some of the strongest spammables in the game, what does that say about other spammables that aren't as strong as Dizzy?

Educate players, can't stress how awful this game is at explaining core gameplay mechanics to new players.

Crit Chance/Crit Resist should always be shown as percentage instead of a value, get the game to calculate it for us. Update the Character Sheet to include more information.

Make rotations easier to manage, console players have to deal with an awful buff tracker, add action duration reminder to the base game. Press an ability, that abilties duration shows on the action bar. Simple and intuitive.
    Iskiab wrote: »
    THIS. You have 3 categories on your skill types. Instant, Cast Time, and Channel.

Flurry with a 0.6second channel is easier to weave vs instant cast abilities because it has a predefined start and end point. Instant cast abilities have varying animation times, if every animation was streamlined to the same duration as flurry, you would no longer have any issues with abilities feeling clunky to use without animation cancelling. If you go back to the early pts stream about Morrowind and the Warden reveal, the developeres intentionally designed some of their animations to be much longer to fit the classes playstyle. However, this has always felt clunky and over time, abilities like Cliff Racer have lost the parts that accounted for long animation times like being undodgeable.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on April 5, 2020 8:22PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • ku5h
    ku5h
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been saying this too, but people like the extra button presses I think and think it makes the game more skill based. There’s no other explanation.

Then what would be the point of having LAs anyway? If anyone has them automatically, then we might as well not have them at all and make it a bit easier on the servers.
    What do you mean its not skill based? Performing LA-Skill-Bash perfectly in a dynamic combat situation is not skill? But yea, lets have auto-attacks while we sip tea and press 1 button here and there. Ofc having high APM and sharp muscle memory is a form of skill in all e sports.
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ku5h wrote: »

Then what would be the point of having LAs anyway? If anyone has them automatically, then we might as well not have them at all and make it a bit easier on the servers.
    What do you mean its not skill based? Performing LA-Skill-Bash perfectly in a dynamic combat situation is not skill? But yea, lets have auto-attacks while we sip tea and press 1 button here and there. Ofc having high APM and sharp muscle memory is a form of skill in all e sports.

How do you figure lag and its random effects into your muscle memory?
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed on the max animation length, they all need to be less than the cooldown by a noticeable margin. .7 seconds seems about right.
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ku5h wrote: »

Well it is a skill, but I don’t know if I’d say it’s skilled gameplay is all.

It’s skill in the sense that it’s muscle memory. Something that can only be picked up with lots of practice and experience. LA weaving requires identifying everyone else is doing something you’re not, going online and figuring out what, then practicing until you have it down pat. It’s highly unlikely someone would figure it out on their own without outside help.

What I mean by it’s not skilled gameplay is you’d never say, ‘Oh, we just LA’d weaves that mob to death’. Or ‘we executed our weaving flawlessly so downed that boss’. I guess it fits into optimizing dps in the overall scheme of things, but not in the sense that it adds complexity beyond the muscle memory required.

It definitely takes a skill to master it, but to me it doesn’t add anything to the game once it’s mastered. You have it down and are just hitting more buttons.

Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't ever want light/heavy attacks to be automatic, I enjoy weaving them as do others, the concern should just be to make more build variety, as well as lowering the necessity of light attack rotations. This obsession with completely overhauling core gameplay mechanics should be abandoned.

Right now, light attack weaving can count for 10-20% of an end game dps parse. Nerfing light attack damage to make it less of a requirement at say 5-10% of a parse is an excellent start. ("20%" being mag dps with vma staff).

ZOS needs to offer better competitive set alternatives, Ele Weapon only works with light attacks and not heavy attacks, VMA staff buffs light/heavy attacks (there is no back bar magicka alternative for people who don't want to weave at all), Bound Armaments, Grim Focus and Relequen don't give 2 stacks for a heavy attack, etc. If there was better alternatives, players shouldn't feel so shoehorned into that playstyle to be competitive and both sides of this argument can play the way they want.

Buffing heavy attack builds is an excellent direction as well, however I question if the PTS changes are balanced from a skill to ability ratio. Something really urkes me when a free cost 2H Heavy attack does basically the same damage as Dizzy/Wrecking Blow which are already some of the strongest spammables in the game, what does that say about other spammables that aren't as strong as Dizzy?

Educate players, can't stress how awful this game is at explaining core gameplay mechanics to new players.

Crit Chance/Crit Resist should always be shown as percentage instead of a value, get the game to calculate it for us. Update the Character Sheet to include more information.

Make rotations easier to manage, console players have to deal with an awful buff tracker, add action duration reminder to the base game. Press an ability, that abilties duration shows on the action bar. Simple and intuitive.
    THIS. You have 3 categories on your skill types. Instant, Cast Time, and Channel.

Flurry with a 0.6second channel is easier to weave vs instant cast abilities because it has a predefined start and end point. Instant cast abilities have varying animation times, if every animation was streamlined to the same duration as flurry, you would no longer have any issues with abilities feeling clunky to use without animation cancelling. If you go back to the early pts stream about Morrowind and the Warden reveal, the developeres intentionally designed some of their animations to be much longer to fit the classes playstyle. However, this has always felt clunky and over time, abilities like Cliff Racer have lost the parts that accounted for long animation times like being undodgeable.

I think that this is a reasonable, well thought-through clump of suggestions.

I would still prefer a smaller nerf to Light Attack damage but I could live with that nerf in exchange for additional sustain. Heavy Attacks can only be buffed so far though, otherwise they become quite problematic for PvP.

Rather, I think that the balance of that stolen damage be invested back into abilities themselves, especially some of the weakest spammables as well as DoTs.

Your thoughts on better itemization for sets is also well-taken. Why do we have SO many PvP-specialized Arena weapons, especially bad ones that nobody ever uses? Those could be put to such better use. Same goes for any of the innumerable regular sets that are seldom, if ever, used. Some creativity (which seems very difficult to summon from ZOS item designers) would really go a long way here toward enabling alternative playstyles (and simply making the game more interesting for alts, etc.).

And indeed, simplify the character sheet. Who thought that the 833 Critical Chance rather than ~3.5% was a GOOD decision?! Give players more and better information and also streamline counter-intuitive and/or redundant stats such as Penetration into one single value such as they did with Armor. You could probably do similarly with Critical Chance itself (indeed, Critical Damage is already a streamlined stat) which would further assist hybrid-type of builds that newbie players seem to gravitate toward.
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I get it guys, you don't know how to light weave properly and don't want to spend the time to learn, and I don't say this in a negative way. It's a game, not a job.

But can you please stop pushing for ideas which will actively destroy what a chunk of the player base enjoy about the game, and start thinking about ways that how you'd like to play can co-exist with how other people want to play?

How about a menu option which allows for an option to slow your skill casts down and adding light attacks before each attack automatically. That way a minimum level can be reached by everyone, and a higher level can be reached by those who want to take the time to improve.

Skill gaps are important. Skill gaps allow people who want to put effort in be rewarded for that effort.
  • DuckInRealLife
    DuckInRealLife
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't play around the time of Morrrowind so I don't know exactly what it was like.

It's not an issue on not knowing how to do it.
    I could follow all the guides in the world try and look and follow on and practice my heart out, but if skills and light attacks literally desync, delay or don't happen for whatever reason it just doesn't work.
    The other issue retaining to weaving is I don't know if there is something, but nobody really talks about how fast combat should be going or how fast things are pressed. I look at what everyone says their LA/s ratio is and try and figure out why mine is so different. I'd really like to see someones hands to really truly understand it as opposed as to what's just happening on the screen.

My ping is anywhere from 230ms - 300ms, which isn't a big difference on paper, but if its fluctuating like that constantly it causes issues.

There is times where I literally have to pause and look at whats happening because my rapid strikes or aoe abilities desynced, didn't visibly show up and I have to recast it to be sure.The timer on the skill goes off but I don't see any form of damage tick or visual effect of the ability being active. And then there's other times where I'll be weaving light attacks and rapid strikes and it will literally stop doing anything, no animation and then the damage of rapid strikes goes off 3 seconds later.

I don't want auto attacks, but I don't want to feel like I'm needlessly wasting things because the game literally inhibits it because things don't proc or cause desync.

You
    A: Make it so all forms of attacks restore resources; so it doesn't matter if I hold a button .2 seconds too long its still going to benefit me without overly slowing combat.
    B: All left click attacks restore nothing and up resource generation base; this way animation cancelling is still a thing but I don't have to worry about it being the thing warranting how much I can attack.
    Edited by DuckInRealLife on April 6, 2020 11:36AM
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Light/Heavy attacks should not restore resources. That should be regen or sets period. Tune it as needed, but natural regen and sets should be the only source of resources. The whole concept is illogical.

Light/Heavy attacks should not be 10-15% of total dps. They should be filler attacks while you restore resources, and heavy attacks should be triggers or reactions to trigger conditions. Primary damage should come from abilities and ultimates.

• LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    Light/Heavy attacks should not restore resources. That should be regen or sets period. Tune it as needed, but natural regen and sets should be the only source of resources. The whole concept is illogical.

Light/Heavy attacks should not be 10-15% of total dps. They should be filler attacks while you restore resources, and heavy attacks should be triggers or reactions to trigger conditions. Primary damage should come from abilities and ultimates.

I just think this is way off the mark.

You have to be able to regenerate resources on demand. Heavy attacking is a perfectly rational way to enable that.

I also just don't see any problem with LAs/HAs doing 10-15% of your DPS. They comprise 50% of your total casts. Skills and ultimates make up the vast majority of everyone's damage.

Like I don't care if people want to tune down LA DPS a bit (keeping in mind that a big chunk of the massive DPS you see from them is a result of the Maelstrom Inferno and often Empower), but I think the problem is overstated quite a bit.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be pointless. Might as well make the combat like WoW/FF14.
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I light attack weave and am average at best, probably 50% to 60% success rate with good ping, probably around half that when ping is getting higher. That's a guess though, as when I am parsing ping is generally not much of an issue, though it can get a little weird with ground based dots that don't fire. I get it, it's kinda fun, but it's not the greatest thing since indoor plumbing or anything. The big issue to me is any negative effects that lag have on it make it less skill based and more good connectivity based, and that isn't right. Too many people are negatively impacted by latency and a combat system that does not take that into effect just isn't very fair to those individuals.

Adding LA to the skills themselves does not hurt those that are good at it at all, hell you will start having 100% success with LA, but so will Joe Blow with high ping. Joe Blow still won't hit all of his attacks as smoothly as you will, or run his rotation as well and still won't have the same dps, but it will be closer. About 5k closer. Is that so terrible?
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less buttons to push, the more boring the game is.

If I just have to hit a button over and over again for an ability whether it's b/c LA is useless or b/c it's encoded with it = boring. If I have to hold a button down for several seconds over and over again to heavy attack = boring.

Combat is fine the way it is. Their HA/LA change is fine in concept, but the numbers are just out of whack. If they actually get the numbers down so that LA's are gutted, don't over sustain and buff HA a bit, then it can raise the floor without lowering the ceiling or squeezing out the middle and upper middle tier players.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC