The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

I'm sick of everything going into the crates

• Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lootboxes are not gambling. Please refer them as surprise mechanic.
  • mikejezz
    mikejezz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thannazzar wrote: »
    Unless you want radiant apex stuff its all achievable, just run Twitch with sound off in the background on an ESO streamer with drops enabled while you play. Get the free daily oroboros crate consumables and convert them into 5-8 gems. I get about 100gems a month that way (log in every day to do crafting dailies), every 3 months a new crate pack comes out and i buy the stuff I want for gems.

How do I know if a streamer has drops enabled? Is it really enough to just run it in background no sound? And for how long should you watch the stream, are you guaranteed a drop?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed the Auroran Knight is now purchasable in crown gems. In a way, the price of it went up because you have to gamble more crates to get it (100 gems in comparison to the previous 2000 crowns/1600 crowns with ESO+) or who knows, the RNG may be kind.

This is another issue I've noticed lately. They keep taking way stuff that has been on the store for direct purchase just to shove it into the crates.

As I recall, that is actually an intended purpose of crates, as hinted by Lambert on stage at one of the public appearances when they were being mentioned.

The way I envision it, they were staying up late, working weekends, trying to solve the vexing problem of how to re-introduce Crown Store items that had been pulled to make room for others. I mean, admit it, how do you sell old stuff? It's a head scratcher. :cold_sweat: After weeks, nay, months, of sleepless toil, they realized that loot boxes were the perfect way to do this. Solved that problem! Sarcasm mine.

Yeah. I don't buy it either. Literally.

:smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mikejezz wrote: »
    Unless you want radiant apex stuff its all achievable, just run Twitch with sound off in the background on an ESO streamer with drops enabled while you play. Get the free daily oroboros crate consumables and convert them into 5-8 gems. I get about 100gems a month that way (log in every day to do crafting dailies), every 3 months a new crate pack comes out and i buy the stuff I want for gems.

How do I know if a streamer has drops enabled? Is it really enough to just run it in background no sound? And for how long should you watch the stream, are you guaranteed a drop?

@mikejezz Check this page. They moved all the info about drops here some time ago. They used to put info on main news page, then they dropped that for forum thread, now it's on the main page tab. It's like they don't want people to watch. Still, don't really hope for 100 gems a month, there's not that much streams usually and they often give you nothing. I had them running the whole weekend unmuted and not hidden in tabs last time there were drops and got nothing. Didn't change anything in my settings since the last time when I got the drops.
    Edited by Michae on March 23, 2020 11:03AM
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There will be an ! Drops wording underneath their stream. You can get a crate for 10 minutes viewing. I usually leave it for 20 and type ! Drops in their chat just in case there setup is dynamic.
  • Daenyres
    Daenyres
    ✭✭
    If that's your stance, you don't pay real money for Crown Crates, @darthgummibear_ESO.

If the cosmetics contained within them are that important, have someone gift you the crates using in-game gold.

All the crates I've ever received are either by gifting or free from events ...

and how does one do that exactly?
    We are all but dust and shadows.
  • mikejezz
    mikejezz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Daenyres wrote: »
    If that's your stance, you don't pay real money for Crown Crates, @darthgummibear_ESO.

If the cosmetics contained within them are that important, have someone gift you the crates using in-game gold.

Save up 2 million gold and get 15 crates from crown network.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2 million to 5,000 crowns is an awfully high exchange rate, @mikejezz ... that's 400:1 gold to crowns.

Where did you pay that?

The generally accepted conversion right now is from 200:1 to 250:1 (somewhere in that area).
  • mikejezz
    mikejezz
    ✭✭✭✭

2 million to 5,000 crowns is an awfully high exchange rate, @mikejezz ... that's 400:1 gold to crowns.

Where did you pay that?

The generally accepted conversion right now is from 200:1 to 250:1 (somewhere in that area).

Where's that? I'm a member of the crown network that seems to be the most wide network, and their rate is 400:1

I'm a EU pc player if that changes anything.
    Edited by mikejezz on March 26, 2020 9:41PM
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Where did you pay that?

That's the rate on EU server. Crowns are sold for 300-400/1 with more leaning towards 400.
    Edited by Michae on March 27, 2020 9:57AM
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michae wrote: »

Where did you pay that?

That's the rate on EU server. Crowns are sold for 300-400/1 with more leaning towards 400.

Ah ... thank you very much.
  • WilliamESO
    WilliamESO
    ✭✭✭
    Its 100/1 since day 1 ps4 eu Master race
  • mikejezz
    mikejezz
    ✭✭✭✭
    WilliamESO wrote: »
    Its 100/1 since day 1 ps4 eu Master race

I think the reason the prices are low on PS4 is because it's much harder to earn gold due to lack of addons. I can easily earn 20 to 30k gold an hour by doing very low effort on pc, and alot more if I work a little for it.

Or did you mean on pc? You mention both pc and PS4 in your comment so I'm a little confused.
  • Quantact
    Quantact
    ✭✭✭
    Crown Crates are not like gambling because everything except for Radiant Apexes and the Resplendent Sweet Roll can be bought directly with Crown Gems. So, if you don't like what you got, liquidate it, and go for what you want with the gems. If you liquidate everything that can be liquidated, you can get even a 400 Crown Gem mount without going insane.

The important thing to note about Crown Crates is that everything worth keeping is cosmetics. Keeping a Grand Experience Scroll to use is madness because of how easy it is to get experience scrolls. It's much more worth it to liquidate it for the 33 crown gems and buy something like a 400 crown gem steed. The various Crown Elixirs out of crates, are same thing. And it does add up.

The stuff that significantly impacts actual gameplay, such as extra character slot adds, Imperial Race, Any Race Any Faction and skyshard regional lines are all for Crowns rather than Crown Gems. We would have cause for serious alarm if that was not the case, but unless your ambition is to have every cosmetic ever offered in ESO (which is a very bad ambition due to the sheer quantity and rate of addition of new stuff) you can very easily lay off the Crown Crates. Again, if you want something out of Crown Crates, such as a Storm Atronacht Guar or a Dwarven Guar, provided that you're strategic about it, you can very easily get it.

If you ARE set on a Radiant Apex, well, that's really not a good idea but if you open that many Crown Crates to get a specific Radiant Apex, you'll almost certainly never want another mount again, and you'll have so many Crown Gems from duplicates that you'll never need to buy Crown Crates again either. Spending that much money on ESO is only a good idea if you understand what you're getting yourself into, but in the end, your paycheck is your business and no one else's.
    Edited by Quantact on April 4, 2020 5:59AM
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even worse to me is the crown gem "scam." The content that you can't buy unless you first buy gambling crates and then trade in stuff you don't want to get the gems for. They we're probably thinking we would feel better being able to do something with unwanted crate items but you me it's just more stuff I can't have.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Even worse to me is the crown gem "scam." The content that you can't buy unless you first buy gambling crates and then trade in stuff you don't want to get the gems for. They we're probably thinking we would feel better being able to do something with unwanted crate items but you me it's just more stuff I can't have.

Ther didn't think we would feel better. As much, they thought that they could decieve some players by giving them the "chance" to buy directly. But they know they are using abusive bussiness methods, they knew perfectly crown crates and gem stuff is a scam when they implemented it.
  • Quantact
    Quantact
    ✭✭✭
    This game is a business that requires money for upkeep and profit. And as is pretty usual, people on the internet believe that internet-based businesses are "greedy" for wanting to turn a profit.

The artists, programmers and musicians who work on this game are on par with those in the LOTR Trilogy and other top Hollywood jobs. Complaining is not going to pay their expensive salaries to create ever more high-quality content and DLCs. Nor is it going to justify the sort of profits a company like this needs to walk away with to justify continuing the project at all.

In other words, people buying Crown and Crown Crate content are supporting the game to ensure its continued survival.

If you don't like paid content, then just buy the "necessities" in the Crown store (there is very little in either Crown Gem or Crown Store stuff that is non-cosmetic and even less that both expensive and non-cosmetic) and play the game since you don't like a lot of the paid content and this is the paid content forum.
    Edited by Quantact on April 6, 2020 9:16PM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Same here, but they seem to have stopped that practice.

Used to be you got a few free if you logged in and battled something the first few "days" of the new crate season.

Used to be there was one somewhere in the level rewards.

I seem to recall getting a few in daily rewards, but I'm not sure about that one.

But none of those any more.

I find myself respecting the "Fallout 76" "atoms" - yes you can buy them, but there are always a few to be had from various daily/weekly acheivements.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • mikejezz
    mikejezz
    ✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »

Same here, but they seem to have stopped that practice.

Used to be you got a few free if you logged in and battled something the first few "days" of the new crate season.

Used to be there was one somewhere in the level rewards.

I seem to recall getting a few in daily rewards, but I'm not sure about that one.

But none of those any more.

I find myself respecting the "Fallout 76" "atoms" - yes you can buy them, but there are always a few to be had from various daily/weekly acheivements.

There is a crate from logging in this month from daily logins.
  • Eifleber
    Eifleber
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ABSOLUTELY HATE THOSE CRATES >:)

Playing since dec 2019 | PC EU
  • mikejezz
    mikejezz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eifleber wrote: »
    I ABSOLUTELY HATE THOSE CRATES >:)

Agree. They should just sell the things for crowns instead.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Quantact wrote: »
    This game is a business that requires money for upkeep and profit. And as is pretty usual, people on the internet believe that internet-based businesses are "greedy" for wanting to turn a profit.

The artists, programmers and musicians who work on this game are on par with those in the LOTR Trilogy and other top Hollywood jobs. Complaining is not going to pay their expensive salaries to create ever more high-quality content and DLCs. Nor is it going to justify the sort of profits a company like this needs to walk away with to justify continuing the project at all.

In other words, people buying Crown and Crown Crate content are supporting the game to ensure its continued survival.

If you don't like paid content, then just buy the "necessities" in the Crown store (there is very little in either Crown Gem or Crown Store stuff that is non-cosmetic and even less that both expensive and non-cosmetic) and play the game since you don't like a lot of the paid content and this is the paid content forum.

The revenue generated by scam crates does not pay for artists and programmers. Those have their wages covered by the flat income generated by game sells and subs. If they depended on ceates, they'd be done, for it is not a constant resource, even if it is massive right now.

Income from these extra money-squezers goes probably into shareholders pockets, not helping game development and encouraging more predative practices.

Finally, about game being a bussiness. Yeah, we get it, they, as bussiness, both want and need money. But thrre are differeny ways of earning that money. You can offer a great product, huge expansions, worthwhile subsriptions, a permanent cosmetic shop, whatever. Or you can ignore the fact that your costumer is a player and put loot gambling crates in the game. Bussiness is bussiness, but they are all different. If you are working on a game, take care of the game and offer a product you can feel pride of. [Snip]. The sad thing is that this is the trend in games industry. Worse games, more money. Bethesda is the perfect example of such decadence.

[Edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on April 8, 2020 4:21PM
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings,

We have recently removed some unnecessary back and forth from this thread. This is a reminder to keep the discussion civil and constructive. Please keep our Community Rules in mind moving forward.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • ImmortalCX
    ImmortalCX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would much prefer knowing what I am paying for. If I want to pay 3000k crowns for a mount I will do that. I think Zos woyld benefit more if peoole could actually buy what they want. Spending real life money on stacks of potions in not a good thing especially when you use crafted ones anyway. Why are crown foods and potions even a thing?

If they benefitted more from that, they would have done it.

The "benefit" of loot crates is that it keeps the pinnacle items more rare in game. If everyone could buy the incredible new mount with crowns, then you would see it everywhere in game. At least if you win something from the crates, the chance is that it will be rare in game.
  • Tujax
    Tujax
    Soul Shriven
    I agree. At the very least they should have loot crates for everything in the store, but also a crown price per item. What gets me is the buy back BS. If I spend 25 gems I get X, but when I sell it I get 5 or 1.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me too.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Where's my Horse Armor!!!! Lol...
    :smiley:
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Q_Q
    Q_Q
    ✭✭✭

Gacha mechanics/loot boxes/crates should be banned, imo. They have no place in the gaming world. Its gambling (lets be honest), and kids play this game (see how technically sticky that is?). Kids aside, its just a greedy practice in general.

I'm not going to mention the other stuff since I doubt there's many that likes loot boxes, but I felt like pointing out that ESO is rated mature. Kids shouldn't be playing it.

If it’s “rated mature” why do people report other players for every bad word, name, or phrase?
  • Avariprivateer
    Avariprivateer
    ✭✭✭

Gacha mechanics/loot boxes/crates should be banned, imo. They have no place in the gaming world. Its gambling (lets be honest), and kids play this game (see how technically sticky that is?). Kids aside, its just a greedy practice in general.

I'm not going to mention the other stuff since I doubt there's many that likes loot boxes, but I felt like pointing out that ESO is rated mature. Kids shouldn't be playing it.

Minor quibble, Mature rating in the United States is 17 and older. Although the TOS requires 18 years minimally. Gambling ages vary by state and country between 16 and 21.
  • LadyBriala
    LadyBriala
    ✭✭✭
    Is there anyway we can petition to get this removed because its getting ridiculous. They are just putting everything in those stupid lottoboxes and.. the crown gems, is a nice idea but at the same time, if you get something you aren't interested in but haven't already unlocked it, it auto unlocks it and doesn't even give you the option to extract for gems instead.

I got 3 mounts and countless pets/cosemetic stuff/mementos etc that I have zero interest in and would've prefered to extract them for something I do want.

Theres nothing to look forward to in their shop or be even the least bit interested in anymore. I get the whole idea of uniqueness, I do. But comon, its getting abit silly now, I mean look at that new mount (Icereach Wicker-Steed) ...crown gem exlusive.. for real? This is just taking everything good and dumping it into a giant endless RNG bag that you can never reach unless you go bankrupt..(These crates can cause addiction, it is most definitly a form of gambling, no matter how you phrase it)

For ESO+ we get reduced prices, which is great, but everything outside of those boxes is not worth it anyway, how about giving us reduced crown gem prices and enable a way for ESO+ members to get crown gems without having to buy these boxes.. Then you wont need to rely on the income of these boxes as more people would be subbing.
    The people and the friends we have lost... ...or the dreams that have faded... Never forget them.