Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mag blade after 2 years away

• Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zDan wrote: »
    A lot of people often say that magblade is terrible, don't get me wrong it's definitely close to bottom tier for open world for sure. But if you play the class enough and learn how to heal up, kite, when to burst etc it becomes super fun. Here is my build from Dragonhold which is also what I'm running this patch...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8LdRdEw7W4

I also have multiple 1vX videos to back it up. Magblade honestly just takes A LOT of patience. You're gonna miss your combo roughly 80% of the time and have to reset lol.
    Yo m8 got a question for you and honestly any other good magblades here is bright throat boast and spinners a good build I just love to keep my magic recovery around 2k I’m exactly the same with my stamblade lol
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went 17-2 in a battlegrounds this week with the following very greedy build:

all divines light New Moon Acolyte, War Maiden's infused Inferno/infused Resto, Kjalnar's. Dunmer, Steed Stone

Frontbar: Impale, Swallow Soul, Grim Focus, Flame Clench, Inner Light || Soul Harvest

No cloak!! Just play from full range, watch as Swallow Soul light attack weaving takes 20-30% of people's health, wait for bow procs, flame blast anyone brave enough to get close, and know when to go ham and when to skidoodle. No hate tells yet, so it can't be THAT good of a build, but it's fun

Kjalnar's probably isn't that good, it's just what I had on at the time
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • zDan
    zDan
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people often say that magblade is terrible, don't get me wrong it's definitely close to bottom tier for open world for sure. But if you play the class enough and learn how to heal up, kite, when to burst etc it becomes super fun. Here is my build from Dragonhold which is also what I'm running this patch...

I also have multiple 1vX videos to back it up. Magblade honestly just takes A LOT of patience. You're gonna miss your combo roughly 80% of the time and have to reset lol.
    Yo m8 got a question for you and honestly any other good magblades here is bright throat boast and spinners a good build I just love to keep my magic recovery around 2k I’m exactly the same with my stamblade lol

There's a lot of different set combos to go with and tbh most of them work very similarly. Just depends on your playstyle and how you like your stat sheet to look lol. But yeah btb spinners is a solid setup.
    zDan - Xbox EU/NA

I specialize in solo PvP on every class in the game,
    be sure to check out my YouTube for several 1vX and build videos!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXkrJ3K68GHLn2-HgHjITsA
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a lot of different set combos to go with and tbh most of them work very similarly. Just depends on your playstyle and how you like your stat sheet to look lol. But yeah btb spinners is a solid setup.
    Thx bro I know it not the best idea that destruction staff bis but I’m going melee magblade I have always preferred aggressive up in your face play style it why I’m stamblade main
    Edited by Deathlord92 on April 5, 2020 2:08AM
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    How are BGs these days? I just bought Eleswyr on an impulse becase, yknow, lockdown :D

Open world (especially CP) always felt like ass on magblade for me, except when I was playing a trolly heavy armour regen build, and that was no fun because you'd never get kills. I don't want to just kite for ten minutes, that's not what I enjoy. PVE isn't difficult enough to really require a min-max type attitude anyway so I'm not worried about that.

BGs are where the real skilled PVP came out IMO. I learned to work with the class through even the worst of it. I used to swear by Shackle/Riposte/Zaan until they killed that; all I did was slot Spinners instead and go full YOLO. I'm guessing by now I'll have to grind some new gear to stay competetive at least?
    Edited by Vermintide on April 6, 2020 11:09PM
  • AMeanOne
    AMeanOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a simple build you could just use crafty alfiq and spinners, since you have it, with bloodspawn. Back bar whatever resto you have. Vma or potentates are good choices
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ha, implying I ever did enough PVE to get one of those fancy staves. From the sounds of it the WMA (or whichever) resto staff is becoming kind of essential for the class though.

I'm pretty good at playing the guild trader stonk markets then just buying rare gear, so any recommendations that can be obtained that way are fine.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vermintide wrote: »
    Ha, implying I ever did enough PVE to get one of those fancy staves. From the sounds of it the WMA (or whichever) resto staff is becoming kind of essential for the class though.

I'm pretty good at playing the guild trader stonk markets then just buying rare gear, so any recommendations that can be obtained that way are fine.

You don’t need any weapon sets as a magblade really. For your back bar set go potentates resto and you’ll do okay. Front bar damage set, back bar potatoes, sustain set, plus a monster set works well. I wouldn’t use Bloodspawn, it’s not good on light armour builds.

Playing tanky as a magblade doesn’t work anymore. Class lacks the burst and ever since onslaught and dizzy were buffed you can’t build tanky enough to make it worth it, you’re giving up offense for too small of a defensive gain.
    Edited by Iskiab on April 7, 2020 10:46AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There’s still a lot of good magblade builds out there, some working better than others. Don’t listen to the naysayers and come up with a build. The one I’m using has various degrees of success, but overall successful.
  • xshatox
    xshatox
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still good for bomber though. Although i’ve seen stamcro bomber now, and sometime has better success rate.
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

PC and Consoles are 2 different worlds...

4D5D10F610349526E57A6269736EF52DBE6B8024
    Noctus wrote: »
    class is dead as far as pvp goes and in pve there are harder hitting classes. its good as healer tho.
    the only magblades u see successfull in pvp are the ones that played the class for years in pvp who could probably do way better on a sorc.
    i advice u to go stamblade for now.

That is 100% truth. I've been playing MagBlade since close beta and probably will still be playing him no matter what direction the class goes, but lets be honest, the class is far from where we were 2 or 3 years ago...

Its a bunch of nerfs from different patches that all together just end up killing the performance of the class in PvP.

At this point, I think the Nightblade class need a complete overhaul. Its just so many stuff that happend, that its impossible to summarize it in one response...
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thx bro I know it not the best idea that destruction staff bis but I’m going melee magblade I have always preferred aggressive up in your face play style it why I’m stamblade main

I used to play with Bright Throat Boast + Crafty Alfiq last year, it was solid, have like 53k magicka or something. And you can still use a Fire Staff and be ''melee'', imo opinion to be a successfull MagBlade right now, you need to mix your movement between melee and long range, keep in mind Soul Harvest is melee and the Spectral Bow travel time is slow as hell...

You have less chances to miss the Spectral Bow if you shoot it in the enemie's face. I usually stay at long range when Im ''charging'' my bow, and gap close/fear when Im about to shoot it... Do whatever it takes to secure that bow procc.
  • daemonor
    daemonor
    ✭✭✭✭
    5 1 1 kjalnars caluurions and destro/resto necropotence, fight me 1v1 irl.

fight-me-irl.png

Edited by daemonor on April 13, 2020 2:30PM
  • JusticeSouldier
    JusticeSouldier
    ✭✭✭✭
    daemonor wrote: »
    5 1 1 kjalnars caluurions and destro/resto necropotence, fight me 1v1 irl.

fight-me-irl.png

i knew that kjalnars+caluurions will work in such way against weak randoms without support, and doing no pressure and detect potions at u... chaosball match. but gj sure also, to get no death in such glas cannon build isn't easy thing
    Edited by JusticeSouldier on April 13, 2020 3:51PM
    all classes. pc platform, dissapointed.
  • JusticeSouldier
    JusticeSouldier
    ✭✭✭✭
    I currently don't enjoy magblade combat.
    Reason is - how detect potions and cloak works.
    Healing morf of cloak is a joke. Imho it's heal isn't bad, but... it's visual part looks like failed invisibility. Both for u and enemy.
    It's ugly af...it need another visual part to fit it's healing function...
    Sure every aoe, different radiant lights etc ruins cloak and it's fair.
    But detection potions... it's like virus, which can't be seen of feel, but u just become sick at random moment for a very long time...and i ask again and again...
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler guys, when we can get detection potion mechanics to become changed?
    Edited by JusticeSouldier on April 14, 2020 12:49AM
  • daemonor
    daemonor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes of course, i posted this screen as a joke. I logged on my magblade without banking all the gear first and I was too lazy to relog so I just went with necro and kjalnars that were in my bags and voila. Eso pvp is not competetive and there's no defined way to prove one's skill. Youtube videos 1 v lightattacking randoms don't count. Magblade is absoloutely not fun to play in bgs, that was a one in a million match without 2 sorcs streaking on me with 3 pets simultaneously and a dk with templar coming in spamming their aoes. With cloack working so bad I don't think anyones even bothering to run detect pots anymore.
    Edited by daemonor on April 13, 2020 4:26PM
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Chelo wrote: »

I used to play with Bright Throat Boast + Crafty Alfiq last year, it was solid, have like 53k magicka or something. And you can still use a Fire Staff and be ''melee'', imo opinion to be a successfull MagBlade right now, you need to mix your movement between melee and long range, keep in mind Soul Harvest is melee and the Spectral Bow travel time is slow as hell...

You have less chances to miss the Spectral Bow if you shoot it in the enemie's face. I usually stay at long range when Im ''charging'' my bow, and gap close/fear when Im about to shoot it... Do whatever it takes to secure that bow procc.

How did you sustain?
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

How did you sustain?

3 or 2 Regen Glyphs in Jewelry + a sustain set (BTB, Amber Plasm, Lich, Warlock or any other).

Right now I'm using Amber Plasm, really like that set.
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes of course, i posted this screen as a joke. I logged on my magblade without banking all the gear first and I was too lazy to relog so I just went with necro and kjalnars that were in my bags and voila. Eso pvp is not competetive and there's no defined way to prove one's skill. Youtube videos 1 v lightattacking randoms don't count. Magblade is absoloutely not fun to play in bgs, that was a one in a million match without 2 sorcs streaking on me with 3 pets simultaneously and a dk with templar coming in spamming their aoes. With cloack working so bad I don't think anyones even bothering to run detect pots anymore.

That's exactly why I posted my screenshot too. When we are playing vs noobs, the class doesn't matter. Most of the YouTube videos about 1vX are actually 1vNoobs (super noticeable on Consoles).

When we put a MagBlade in an equally skilled BG where everyone is actually a good player and they know what they are doing, playing NB is a complete struggle. Can still manage to be successful but you will notice all the areas where NB is lacking.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

How did you sustain?

3 or 2 Regen Glyphs in Jewelry + a sustain set (BTB, Amber Plasm, Lich, Warlock or any other).

Sounds solid. About 2k mag recovery, right?
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Magblades isn’t designed for objective based group PvP. It’s a rouge class so it’s always going to perform better in 1v1 and 1vX type situations. The class has always offered very little in terms of group support and AOE damage. In my opinion that’s fine as long as they make up for it by having superior single target burst and buff abilities (currently magblade need buffs in this department). Even though magblade is lacking and needs buffs it is still very fun to play open world 1vX and 1v1. The skills, and skill functionality has never really allowed magblade to fight in group v group pvp fights.
  • daemonor
    daemonor
    ✭✭✭✭

Magblades isn’t designed for objective based group PvP. It’s a rouge class so it’s always going to perform better in 1v1 and 1vX type situations. The class has always offered very little in terms of group support and AOE damage. In my opinion that’s fine as long as they make up for it by having superior single target burst and buff abilities (currently magblade need buffs in this department). Even though magblade is lacking and needs buffs it is still very fun to play open world 1vX and 1v1. The skills, and skill functionality has never really allowed magblade to fight in group v group pvp fights.

Well what you are describing sounds like night blade is designed to be good vs bad players. i mean if 1vx is ONE versus 4 for example, how come they dont function in 4 versus 4 (allegedly, solo que bgs mos def arent always group vs group organized) ? Cause you can only 1vx against exceptionally bad players, and if you can with magblade you might as well 1vx with any other class just as good or even better.

Take stamsorc for example, he doesnt have any aoe pressure outside dbos too and depends on being mobile and hard to catch (just like mageblade i guess) , but is exceptionally better at both single target bursting and escaping. Imagine the effort it takes to set up your shade and not outrange it when you need it, then wasting a gcd to switch back and relying on invisibility which barely ever works. The supposed mobile slippery master of deception. This requires both setup, some thought behind it and luck aswell. Then you take one stam boi who vigor roll cancels on bow bar and just sprints away major expedition, add a sorc into that and u get 2 seconds of projecticle immunity aswell. 0 effort, always the same drill, works most of the time. Then you come back in and dizzystun ult execute in 3 gcds for big boi burst which is both easier to execute than nightblade's and hits harder. And sorc unlike warden, necro and maybe stamplar is not even high up there in the burst raitings, just the 2h skill line doing all the work. Like stamblade at least has this cloack>heavy attack>surprise attack incap or arrow going for them, and can use the 2h execute. You could also make a gimmick and use wreckingblow instead. But you can't rely on destro staff skills like that for magblade to make it work.

Perhaps i went off topic, but my point is magblade is so bad at everything right now and I'm mad that their supposed niche can be executed better by every other single class just in a different way.
    Edited by daemonor on April 13, 2020 9:53PM
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well what you are describing sounds like night blade is designed to be good vs bad players. i mean if 1vx is ONE versus 4 for example, how come they dont function in 4 versus 4 (allegedly, solo que bgs mos def arent always group vs group organized) ? Cause you can only 1vx against exceptionally bad players, and if you can with magblade you might as well 1vx with any other class just as good or even better.

Take stamsorc for example, he doesnt have any aoe pressure outside dbos too and depends on being mobile and hard to catch (just like mageblade i guess) , but is exceptionally better at both single target bursting and escaping. Imagine the effort it takes to set up your shade and not outrange it when you need it, then wasting a gcd to switch back and relying on invisibility which barely ever works. The supposed mobile slippery master of deception. This requires both setup, some thought behind it and luck aswell. Then you take one stam boi who vigor roll cancels on bow bar and just sprints away major expedition, add a sorc into that and u get 2 seconds of projecticle immunity aswell. 0 effort, always the same drill, works most of the time. Then you come back in and dizzystun ult execute in 3 gcds for big boi burst which is both easier to execute than nightblade's and hits harder. And sorc unlike warden, necro and maybe stamplar is not even high up there in the burst raitings, just the 2h skill line doing all the work. Like stamblade at least has this cloack>heavy attack>surprise attack incap or arrow going for them, and can use the 2h execute. You could also make a gimmick and use wreckingblow instead. But you can't rely on destro staff skills like that for magblade to make it work.

Perhaps i went off topic, but my point is magblade is so bad at everything right now and I'm mad that their supposed niche can be executed better by every other single class just in a different way.
    Well said. Clearly spoken by someone that actually plays the class.
    Edited by Langeston on April 13, 2020 10:39PM
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I disagree about the escape and mobility. I pretty much get in and out of every fight I want as a magblade. But it could be that I have played magblade for so long everything feels second nature in terms of cloak and shade. when used properly your ability to kite is better than every class except stamblade.

I agree about the offense though it’s so unreliable that it’s terrible. It’s requires a decent amount of planning and build up just for it to not work 75% of the time so it’s just not practical in PvP. Stamsorc is pretty terrible 1vX as well too though. Not as bad as magblade but not much better either. I find magblade burst to be pretty high I hit a pet sorc the other day for a 25k bow in a 1v1. The problem is it almost never lands.

Overall I agree magblade needs to have its offensive abilities be buffed by making them quicker and less telegraphed (cast time on soul harvest). I don’t think the class is far off from where it needs to be. I still find a lot of success using magblade in 1v1s and 1vX. I also agree that stamina is currently outclassing magicka as a whole. The current vamp changes look very interesting for magblade. I think magblade will be able to take better advantage of Vamp than the other classes and will be hitting pretty hard overall next patch.
  • JusticeSouldier
    JusticeSouldier
    ✭✭✭✭

That's exactly why I posted my screenshot too. When we are playing vs noobs, the class doesn't matter. Most of the YouTube videos about 1vX are actually 1vNoobs (super noticeable on Consoles).

When we put a MagBlade in an equally skilled BG where everyone is actually a good player and they know what they are doing, playing NB is a complete struggle. Can still manage to be successful but you will notice all the areas where NB is lacking.

yepp, absolutly agree. all burst sources are very predictable and easy to be mitigated, same as defensive mechanics are easy to be ruined. and very low maybe lowest support/synergize abilities for team, so in high mmr battlegrounds nightblade as usual is most squishy target to be killed first.
  • daemonor
    daemonor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thats why i took stamsorc as an example. It's considered near the bottom currently for pvp, no doubt stamplar stamcro stamdenand stamdk are miles ahead of magblade in every pvp scenario. I don't have a problem with stam blades fufilling the role of a sneaky assassin who can burst a single target caught off guard and get out, cause thats obviously their design aswell. But I mean like magblades get outperformed by basically a 2h weapon skill line with blink mixed in. The other mag classes feel like they have their niche too, magplars are great at everything, mag dks and magsorcs are great at dueling ant battlegrounds, magdens and magnecros if nothing else have their place in either smallscale or largescale group pvp. What do mag nbs have? Dueling? I don't mind the skill ceiling being high, at least that's how i recall them at summerset. They were top dogs at both pve and pvp, but if you were an average player you couldn't fotm reroll and outperform everyone else. An average magblade was still average. Now the class makes best players look average. They have absoloutely nothing going on for them except 1vPotato and that's a silly argument cause you can 1vPotato one every class.
    Edited by daemonor on April 14, 2020 1:01AM
  • JusticeSouldier
    JusticeSouldier
    ✭✭✭✭
    The current vamp changes look very interesting for magblade. I think magblade will be able to take better advantage of Vamp than the other classes and will be hitting pretty hard overall next patch.

i guess with new passive where every class with vampirism will go invisibility while sprinting magblade will not have even this like option to be uniq. another announced abilities doesn't give magblade something he hadn't before. I'm not sure about this your suggestion if it can have basement.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thx for the tips mate 👍
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How did you sustain?

Sounds solid. About 2k mag recovery, right?

For my playstyle I have between 2200 and 2500, depending on the food.
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

NBs are noob killers. We are the perfect class to kill noobs. As a MagBlade take Caluurion and Zaan for example, it kill Noobs in less than 3 seconds.

That's why people get the false assumption that NBs are doing well or are falsely accused to be OP.

Noob killing is one thing but killing equally skilled or better players is a 180° completely opposite new experience.

That's why I always said in a 100% equal environment where everyone is actually good, the NB doesn't offer anything to the table, it lacks of options, while the other classes are more well-rounded.