The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Dwemer.

InRetrospect
Well really this is more generalized to all things mysterious such as Dwemer but also Nedes, Akaviri, etc. and yes I understand that we’ve encountered one very diseased dwemer and that we’ve seen flashbacks or remnants but I just think, and hear me out:

It’d be cool if they went way back in a future game. Or even took it to another continent. I realize I may be posting this in the wrong forum, as this isn’t so much eso as it is elder scrolls in general, but we see all these lore books throughout the game talking about things that happened in the past and this game went back to the past but not far enough for those things
  • ProfessorKittyhawk
    ProfessorKittyhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the beautiful thing about the Elder Scrolls series. There are so many things shrouded in mystery and conjecture. To get definitive answers about them would kind of kill the mystique surrounding them and cheapen the overall experience of the games. I'm glad we got to see the Sload. And wouldn't mind seeing some Akaviri, but seeing and exploring those lands or learning the truth about what happened to the Dwemer are best left as the mysteries they are.
  • InRetrospect
    This is the beautiful thing about the Elder Scrolls series. There are so many things shrouded in mystery and conjecture. To get definitive answers about them would kind of kill the mystique surrounding them and cheapen the overall experience of the games. I'm glad we got to see the Sload. And wouldn't mind seeing some Akaviri, but seeing and exploring those lands or learning the truth about what happened to the Dwemer are best left as the mysteries they are.

Not really saying to uncover what happened to the Dwemer. That could be left to mystery still. Like even if you wanted to surround the game about it it could be the Elder Scroll event and they could still just mysteriously vanish as a result of the greater thing happening.

I’ve seen a bunch of conjecture between Fallout and Elder Scrolls and I like to think that it could be a very real possibility, much like how the Shannara Chronicles work with magic do too could the Elder Scrolls universe. Now let’s just imagine with the Dwemer that they got so scientifically advanced that they rediscovered some long lost technology of the ancients (space flight) and left this planet in a mass exodus because they saw history repeating itself. I could go on and on about how how these correlations could realistically work but no need to get into specifics, just that I like the mystery too, I’d just like to go back even further and/or perhaps see these other continents. Obviously they exist!!! Nedes came from somewhere, so did the akaviri. I realize the akaviri homeland is “lost” but they never said it was gone. Lost could mean it was conquered. To be fair I didn’t fully read all the lore books so maybe a natural disaster did take it but I’m pretty sure nothing was said about the other homelands. Tamriel was only native to mer.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand that we’ve encountered one very diseased dwemer
    ...in TES-III:Morrowind. We might encounter the same dwemer pre-disease someday in ESO if the powers that be feel like it, since its still 300 years before a certain godling wakes at red mountain and throws corpsus around like its free samples...
    It’d be cool if they went way back in a future game.
    Maybe.
    Personally I would be way more interested in some new TES game someday set in th further future, long after the fourth era, where all the events between ESO and the various TES games are mere myth, and the world is completely different... the old races, the old places, but... more in renaissance and steampunk flavor.
    Or even took it to another continent.
    ...there has been speculation about a single player game set in mysterious Akavir... personally, I'd play the Oblivion out of that sort of thing!!!

Another option I would gleefully enjoy might be a TES game starting out in Oblivion... play as daedra, server your dark masters, get summoned by a mortal, become involved in plots threatening both mundus and the realms of oblivion, quest your way through a hostile tamriel landscape, and defeat adventurer parties as bossfights... in the classic TES style, make your own way between good and evil, and in the end, get a choice if you would stay loyal to your daedric masters, or opt to walk your own path and make your own choices...
    I doubt they would ever go there, and I doubt even more they would dare include all the nasty & naughty things such a game should have... but that sort of thing could be sooo much fun!
  • InRetrospect
    I understand that we’ve encountered one very diseased dwemer
    ...in TES-III:Morrowind. We might encounter the same dwemer pre-disease someday in ESO if the powers that be feel like it, since its still 300 years before a certain godling wakes at red mountain and throws corpsus around like its free samples...
    It’d be cool if they went way back in a future game.
    Maybe.
    Personally I would be way more interested in some new TES game someday set in th further future, long after the fourth era, where all the events between ESO and the various TES games are mere myth, and the world is completely different... the old races, the old places, but... more in renaissance and steampunk flavor.
    Or even took it to another continent.
    ...there has been speculation about a single player game set in mysterious Akavir... personally, I'd play the Oblivion out of that sort of thing!!!

Another option I would gleefully enjoy might be a TES game starting out in Oblivion... play as daedra, server your dark masters, get summoned by a mortal, become involved in plots threatening both mundus and the realms of oblivion, quest your way through a hostile tamriel landscape, and defeat adventurer parties as bossfights... in the classic TES style, make your own way between good and evil, and in the end, get a choice if you would stay loyal to your daedric masters, or opt to walk your own path and make your own choices...
    I doubt they would ever go there, and I doubt even more they would dare include all the nasty & naughty things such a game should have... but that sort of thing could be sooo much fun!

Yeah, where the heck is he during the events of ESO? They could definitely bring him up at some point. Obviously he’s gotta be somewhere out there. And that Oblivion type game sounds amazing. Like do you want to be a good daedric prince or a bad one? Do you want to make a name for yourself or loyally serve your masters

• TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And that Oblivion type game sounds amazing. Like do you want to be a good daedric prince or a bad one? Do you want to make a name for yourself or loyally serve your masters
    Yup. It wouldn't be ESO, of course... all the people asking to play daedra here completely misunderstand the scope of this setting.
    But as a standalone game?
    That could be so great... there could be factions, like which daedric prince you are loyal to, "evil" ones like Molag Bal, Mehunes Dagon, etc., or "good" ones like Azura or Meridia... that could make the plots different.
    Or the other way around, the game could give you lots of different options how to resolve your questings, and depending on all your choices, picks the daedric prince that takes notice of you... destroy everything, and Mahunes Dagon picks you for his personal forces, show a strong disdain for authority, and Beothiah becomes interested, make lots of bargains, and Clavicus Vile has your name on the to-do list, be completely random in your choices, and uncle Sheo sends you some complimentary cheese and cabbages...

Andit would be neat to have regions you "explore" after being summoned by some mortal mage, which means such a game need not be localized like "morrowind" or "skyrim", but could happen all over tamriel and oblivion... meaning lots of planejumping, and thus lots of different visuals...

The only iffy point is, if such a game were made, it would need to be a lot darker and grittier and, yes, naughtier. It would need to show in gory and explicit detail what daedra are up to all the time, from dremora torturers to dark seducer... uhm... you know. So, definitely above "M" rating...
  • Thokri
    Thokri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, where the heck is he during the events of ESO? They could definitely bring him up at some point. Obviously he’s gotta be somewhere out there. And that Oblivion type game sounds amazing. Like do you want to be a good daedric prince or a bad one? Do you want to make a name for yourself or loyally serve your masters

On another dimension.

Yagrum Bagarn was there when dwemer disappeared and it is is fair to assume he was there until at least third era. Divayth Fyr who found him would have made his presence known if it he had studied him long enough so we can assume he has not had him in his posession for long in time when morrowind happens.

Other explanation is that Divayth Fyr found him in that particular dimension and brought him back, which resulted in situation he is.

Divayth Fyr in lore should be only one with knownledge of Bagarm and he is not very.. sharing and caring person nor has enough presence (In my opinion) in ESO.

I just think they forgot whole thing or there just aren't any writers working who were back then. ( I could say something about quality after morrowind but everyone already knows it)

Edited by Thokri on April 1, 2020 11:34PM
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My worry is that if they show too much dwemer that they become just another mer race. Let them be mysterious, imo.
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thokri wrote: »
    I just think they forgot whole thing or there just aren't any writers working who were back then. ( I could say something about quality after morrowind but everyone already knows it)

Or maybe, they have better writers who know not to drop every possible gimmick everywhere.
    They could write Yagrum Bagarn into ESO in some way - but that doesn't mean it'd be a good idea. There is a place for everything, and self-restraint is a necessary part of art.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yagrum Bagarn was there when dwemer disappeared and it is is fair to assume he was there until at least third era...
    Actually, that is the kind of assumption people say certain things about...

All that is know is that, yes, Yagrum Bagarn was in a "outer plane" at the time of the dwemers vanishing, some 2800 years before ESO.

And at some point he got back... to Red Mountain I might add, which strongly suggests this did NOT happen in the third era where Dagoth Ur is active and the ghostfence locking him in (more or less... more less then more more I guess)... found his people gone... and left red mountain to start searching for where they went. Spending years upon years looking into every deserted colony he could find.

And keep searching. And keep searching. And never finding even a hint. He also mentioned those travels happened "thousands of years ago" at the time of TES-III:Morrowind, so... that would suggest he actually returned during the -first- era, and spend the rest of it and pretty much all of the second searching.

And at some other point... his desperate search will lead him to back red mountain, and there he will run into Dagoth Ur's free corprus samples, and since that godling only wakes up in about 300 years from the ESO viewpoint, that means this happens in the third era.

And afterwards Divath Fyr finds him, and helps restore his sanity, and... well... how it ends we know from playing TES-III:Morrowind I guess.

And there you have it. There is a STRONG indication that he is around and busy searching for his people during the whole second era.

BtW, in the ESO-Morrowind mainquest, Barilzar says: "Good help is as rare as the legendary Last Dwemer, but a clockwork is only as strong as its weakest cog." - which indicates Yagrum HAS been around in that time, enough to be a legend like tamriel-ic elvis sightings, but rarely seen enough that its only a legend and nothing more.
    Varana wrote: »
    They could write Yagrum Bagarn into ESO in some way - but that doesn't mean it'd be a good idea.
    That would depend on the details.
    If they ever were to for example do a big dwemer ruin... it would make a lot of sense to find him there, trying to figure out where his people went.
    Of course, it would also make a great deal of sense for him to keep a low profile, and perhaps even be in disguise...

...heh, if I was ZOS, I totally would add a "masked artificer" to one such place, a somewhat small and stocky person that from their dialouge knows -way- too much about the dwemer to be a mere researcher, and thus give players a hint to their true identity... without being too obvious about it.

But in the end... this is all up to the storycrafters at ZOS.
  • Thokri
    Thokri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of text
    Moments like these I wish I could give more than one insightful or awesome point.

• Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something you need to consider about games set in the first era. The mages guild did not exist. Magic was a very exclusive thing back then. The Psijics were there to advise the nobles but magic was not actually being taught indiscriminately like it is now.
    You'd either be selftaught or got a mage to spill their secrets, which back then nobody did unless you were familly or had someone who would trust you enough with it and there were not many mages to go around.
    In Elven lands it would be a slightly different story, because magic comes to them more naturally, so more people would have a clue about it and be able to use and teach rudimentary magic.

So, do you really want an elder scrolls game where barely anyone is using magic?
    It has a certain appeal too, it just needs to be kept in mind.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    Something you need to consider about games set in the first era. The mages guild did not exist. Magic was a very exclusive thing back then. The Psijics were there to advise the nobles but magic was not actually being taught indiscriminately like it is now.
    You'd either be selftaught or got a mage to spill their secrets, which back then nobody did unless you were familly or had someone who would trust you enough with it and there were not many mages to go around.
    In Elven lands it would be a slightly different story, because magic comes to them more naturally, so more people would have a clue about it and be able to use and teach rudimentary magic.

So, do you really want an elder scrolls game where barely anyone is using magic?

Actually.... I do. I would relish the hidden meetings that would give my nascent mage some potential to expand what I can do natively. I would - cower in the dark, hoping against hope that the mage I was summoned to meet could help me explode my potential.... And perhaps I would be.... destroyed by a mage who was simply lurking, hoping to swallow my power to expand her own.

[Oy. I have a new fanfic bursting now.... Thanks!]
  • InRetrospect

So... Skyrim? Oh wait, that already happened didn’t it?
  • InRetrospect
    Yagrum Bagarn was there when dwemer disappeared and it is is fair to assume he was there until at least third era...
    Actually, that is the kind of assumption people say certain things about...

All that is know is that, yes, Yagrum Bagarn was in a "outer plane" at the time of the dwemers vanishing, some 2800 years before ESO.

And at some point he got back... to Red Mountain I might add, which strongly suggests this did NOT happen in the third era where Dagoth Ur is active and the ghostfence locking him in (more or less... more less then more more I guess)... found his people gone... and left red mountain to start searching for where they went. Spending years upon years looking into every deserted colony he could find.

And keep searching. And keep searching. And never finding even a hint. He also mentioned those travels happened "thousands of years ago" at the time of TES-III:Morrowind, so... that would suggest he actually returned during the -first- era, and spend the rest of it and pretty much all of the second searching.

And at some other point... his desperate search will lead him to back red mountain, and there he will run into Dagoth Ur's free corprus samples, and since that godling only wakes up in about 300 years from the ESO viewpoint, that means this happens in the third era.

And afterwards Divath Fyr finds him, and helps restore his sanity, and... well... how it ends we know from playing TES-III:Morrowind I guess.

And there you have it. There is a STRONG indication that he is around and busy searching for his people during the whole second era.

BtW, in the ESO-Morrowind mainquest, Barilzar says: "Good help is as rare as the legendary Last Dwemer, but a clockwork is only as strong as its weakest cog." - which indicates Yagrum HAS been around in that time, enough to be a legend like tamriel-ic elvis sightings, but rarely seen enough that its only a legend and nothing more.
    Varana wrote: »
    They could write Yagrum Bagarn into ESO in some way - but that doesn't mean it'd be a good idea.
    That would depend on the details.
    If they ever were to for example do a big dwemer ruin... it would make a lot of sense to find him there, trying to figure out where his people went.
    Of course, it would also make a great deal of sense for him to keep a low profile, and perhaps even be in disguise...

...heh, if I was ZOS, I totally would add a "masked artificer" to one such place, a somewhat small and stocky person that from their dialouge knows -way- too much about the dwemer to be a mere researcher, and thus give players a hint to their true identity... without being too obvious about it.

But in the end... this is all up to the storycrafters at ZOS.

Okay two things. I thought I had read that but wasn’t sure, that Yagrum was roaming Tamriel during the second era, so I didn’t say anything with certainty but you confirmed it again for me, so yes I’ve been wondering for some time now. I remember reading when I was looking up the walking tree city and how it’s disappearance may or may not be tied in with the mysterious disappearance of the Dwemer, although different time periods they may be.

Second off, I got into ES late in the game. I was young-ish when Morrowind was out and you had to be 18 and up and at the time I based my decision on the backs of the game sleeves and I didn’t feel it was worth the hassle of asking my grandma to rent it for me (usually cheaper to rent games than buy them back in the day), and when oblivion first came out I didn’t have a ps3 and the only people I heard talking about it were pc gamers so I had no idea. I tried playing oblivion but there were way too many fetch quests and I had already been playing Skyrim so I was kinda spoiled, but I did read up on the essential gist of the main story. I know I know, I’ve missed a lot but I’m being spoiled by graphics so unless they remaster either game I’m not gonna get caught up, so, I think I understood what was going on in oblivion but I never did really understand what happened in morrowind
  • InRetrospect
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

Actually.... I do. I would relish the hidden meetings that would give my nascent mage some potential to expand what I can do natively. I would - cower in the dark, hoping against hope that the mage I was summoned to meet could help me explode my potential.... And perhaps I would be.... destroyed by a mage who was simply lurking, hoping to swallow my power to expand her own.

[Oy. I have a new fanfic bursting now.... Thanks!]

As I said above earlier on, I feel like the whole Fallout universe turns into Elder Scrolls theory is pretty solid. That’s a fan fic that I personally would develop if I had the time and energy to start writing again but instead I play video games lol. Super Mutants become giants. Fallout 76 gave us dragons, although I could have just said deathclaws turned into dragons just as easily. Each race is heavily related to already existing human races. FEV experiments by Vault Tec simply explains away any questions you have about flora and fauna and magic and everything else.