Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Nightmare Horse Stick Mount Scam

• Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the factor that contributes most to indeed seeing it more as a scam this year is that it is so horrendously overpriced. I'm not completely sure but I do seem to remember that the price last year was something along the lines of 500 Crowns or so, which is okay for a cosmetic item. This year, though... 1500 Crowns? That is much closer to the price of an actual mount than it is to something that has absolutely no function other than the way it looks and an animation. That, coupled with the fact that it is really not labeled clearly in the Crown Store as not being an actual mount this year, as opposed to last year, kind of makes me doubt that this is really just an honest mistake or oversight on ZOS' part, but rather a strategy for deception, so that more people, who might not have been around before or simply don't remember the specifics or the stick horse from last year will buy it.

I could be wrong and overly cynical here of course, and if you get a refund, OP (which I really hope you do), then maybe I am. I wouldn't put it past them, though, to try something shady like this.

Just to have things right, they were 900 Crowns last year.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michae wrote: »
    I think the factor that contributes most to indeed seeing it more as a scam this year is that it is so horrendously overpriced. I'm not completely sure but I do seem to remember that the price last year was something along the lines of 500 Crowns or so, which is okay for a cosmetic item. This year, though... 1500 Crowns? That is much closer to the price of an actual mount than it is to something that has absolutely no function other than the way it looks and an animation. That, coupled with the fact that it is really not labeled clearly in the Crown Store as not being an actual mount this year, as opposed to last year, kind of makes me doubt that this is really just an honest mistake or oversight on ZOS' part, but rather a strategy for deception, so that more people, who might not have been around before or simply don't remember the specifics or the stick horse from last year will buy it.

I could be wrong and overly cynical here of course, and if you get a refund, OP (which I really hope you do), then maybe I am. I wouldn't put it past them, though, to try something shady like this.

Ah, alright, that's a bit more than I thought. Still, 600 Crowns more this year just for a different skin? What's up with that? Greedy much?

Edit: @Dark_Lord_Kuro Just in case you mean me: Yeah, sure they're human, but this is real money we're talking about here. 1500 Crowns is not exactly cheap either. Some mistake in a dungeon or item description or something like that, sure, things happen. But to not label an item in the Crown Store and what it can and can't provide clearly, so as to not lead people astray is more than that. With that logic you can also say: "Oh, so someone forgot to put that "High Voltage" sticker on and now a person is dead. Well, I guess accidents happen, the guy is just human, too, after all".
    Edited by CassandraGemini on March 27, 2020 12:08PM
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• RD065
    RD065
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hoping they add this to the crown store..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHFXG3r_0B8
  • Pallio
    Pallio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sinolai wrote: »
    funny how this thread is remade every year during the Jester's Fest :smile:

Exactly:
    ZOS: LOL, we got another one hahahahah
  • VaxtinTheWolf
    VaxtinTheWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the previous variants were the same, and at the time this was explained. It's a novelty item, like the Pet Rock.

And how is someone supposed to know that? People have more important things to do than playing ESO 24/7/365 and getting informed on everything that goes on in this game. There are new players and players that dont play often.

Its ZOS fault that its not mentioned in the product description and only theirs.

To be honest, I just assumed the new one was under the same tab that it would usually be under, and I've never been interested it buying it for myself do I didn't notice the tab was missing. The only thing I've been paying attention to is if a 200c adornment and a 400c/500c hairpiece I want ever go on sale.
    || AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
    || DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
    || EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
    PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    With that logic you can also say: "Oh, so someone forgot to put that "High Voltage" sticker on and now a person is dead. Well, I guess accidents happen, the guy is just human, too, after all".

With wrong logic, maybe.
    A cash shop screw-up is not even close to being on the same level as a mistake that would cost someone their life.

The hyperbole expressed in the gaming community is ridiculous.
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bearbelly wrote: »
    With that logic you can also say: "Oh, so someone forgot to put that "High Voltage" sticker on and now a person is dead. Well, I guess accidents happen, the guy is just human, too, after all".

With wrong logic, maybe.
    A cash shop screw-up is not even close to being on the same level as a mistake that would cost someone their life.

The hyperbole expressed in the gaming community is ridiculous.

Uh, yeah. The hyperbole was kinda the point, it wasn't to be taken seriously, and of course it's not on the same level. That doesn't change the fact that it is the same general kind of logic - that's what examples like these are all about. Geez... smh.
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for this thread. You have reinforced my decision not to buy the stupid thing. Here's how I bet the meeting at ZOS went (because I wouldn't put it past them).

Boss: let's put another stick mount in the crown store for the Jester's Festival.
    Dev: OK [Goes off to trace and reskin last year's stick mount. Prices at 900 crowns. Adds disclaimer that it's not a real mount]
    Boss: Looks good with a couple changes.
    Dev: Such as?
    Boss: I think 900 is too low. They sold pretty well last year. Let's up it to 1500.
    Dev: Are you sure? It's not a real mount.
    Boss: Yeah, about that... Let's remove that disclaimer.
    Dev: Why?
    Boss: If people think it works like a mount, more will buy it.
    Dev: But it doesn't work like an actual mount. Won't people want their money back when they find out?
    Boss: Marketing says that for every 1 player who asks for a refund, there are 99 others who won't. Maybe they're embarrassed. Maybe they're rich enough not to care. Maybe they just really like running around with a dumb stick horse between their legs. Whatever, we refund the one guy and capitalize on the 99.
    Dev: Won't that make us look bad?
    Boss: Who cares? It's all about the money...

Dev leaves to follow instructions, muttering under his breath...
    "What an a$$hole. I need a new job."
    Edited by LadySinflower on March 27, 2020 12:57PM
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, whether you love this game or not, no one should be jumping to the defense of a giant corporation marketing something badly. They have employees, let them speak up on it. This isn't about how good the game is, it's about a company's business practices. The OP is right on the mark. It's not labeled, categorized or priced like any previous novelty items. No customer should be required to know the entire history of clown store listings to know something should be a particular type of item.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Bangs head on table)

It’s a stick with a horses head 🤔 in what kind of weird world would it make you go as fast as a normal horse...?

Could you imagine how cr*p that would look 😈😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

It's Jester Festival, things are supposed to be weird and humorous. I agree it would look bizarre beyond words if you ran as fast as a mount on this but for all new players know that's the entire idea of it.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just ask for a refund, nice and politely.

I did just that for an entire game elsewhere, months after I purchased it. It was plagued with bugs that never got fixed.

Loads of people saying they couldn't get refunds. They also posted their emails revealing utterly vulgar treatment of staff.

Me? I produced a well-written report on my dissatisfaction with the product, explained exactly what the problem was, and requested a refund, acknowledging the company's right to say no, as it was beyond the agreed "warranty" period post-purchase.

One week later I had a full refund.

Madness, I know, but you'll be impressed by how far politeness gets you in life.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blame them RP players

But yeah I was going to buy this then I asked in zone of the mount speed carried over, someone said no, so I saved my crowns for another day
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All of the previous variants were the same, and at the time this was explained. It's a novelty item, like the Pet Rock.

Then they need to make it clear in the description.
    Maybe they just forgot? They are human to, you know.

Lol, so if I buy something for my car for example, and it was advertised as X, but ended up not being for X, thats ok? Same situation.
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Last year when we sold similar stick mounts we had red text in the item description to make it clear that these were not typical mounts. This was mistakenly left off this year and will be added in a future update. We will also be adjusting the text on the previous stick mounts to make this more clear for new players. We have also created a support article on our website that explains it further.

If you are unhappy with your purchase and would like a refund, please submit a ticket. Our support team can assist with that process. Apologies for any confusion this has caused.
    Staff Post
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well Sarah beat me to my post while I was off looking for a gif..lol
    So I’ll just leave this instead
    ThunderousEuphoricHen-max-1mb.gif
    Edited by xxthir13enxx on March 27, 2020 2:21PM
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started playing ESO in September 2019. I didn't know anything about the speed of this fake horse. I purchased it believing that it was a mount like all the others and now I understand that it is unusable. Nobody had warned me and I certainly had no way of knowing. I consider it profoundly incorrect. I also come from a well-known MMORPG game where there was a very similar mount ... but with speed equal to that of all the other mounts, so I had reason to believe that it was the same here.
    Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to STICK it to the players! Sorry couldn't resist the pun.
  • zergbase_ESO
    zergbase_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Yep or like my bucket and broom I have :d. They're like toys basically.
  • zergbase_ESO
    zergbase_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Michae wrote: »

Whoa... Where they? I didn't purchase it because cost to it but if they were that cheap then price hike needs a tad justification.
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1st. This mount is majestic and beautiful. I am saddened to hear you do not agree

2nd. I used that mount allllll last night in Cyrodil inspiring the horde. As I rode my majestic beast...the warriors fought harder!!

3rd. When you hit jump he nays!! Like your guy nays!!!

4th. Sometimes speed..is overrated. Enjoy the stroll

5th. Nobody would attack me while mounted on that beast. I think all players find it amusing and it brings a smile.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_SarahHecker
    Nice to know. Will you be fixing the description of the outfit slots too?
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • KyleTheYounger
    KyleTheYounger
    ✭✭✭
    jstans_ESO wrote: »
    Am I the only one that feels like this mount is a scam? I purchased it because it looked amusing and like it would be an entertaining mount. But you cannot go mount speed with it. NOWHERE in the description is this stated. Is there any way to get a refund for it? Definitely feels like a scam being tricked into buying a mount only for it to not work like a mount.

Not according to King Arthur

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHFXG3r_0B8
  • relentlessyouthofficialneb18_ESO
    Hi everyone,

Last year when we sold similar stick mounts we had red text in the item description to make it clear that these were not typical mounts. This was mistakenly left off this year and will be added in a future update. We will also be adjusting the text on the previous stick mounts to make this more clear for new players. We have also created a support article on our website that explains it further.

If you are unhappy with your purchase and would like a refund, please submit a ticket. Our support team can assist with that process. Apologies for any confusion this has caused.

You mistakenly did it last year too at first and fixed it later. Either you're scamming players because you know they wouldn't buy a mount without the speed bonus, or you're just proving you released literally the same event as last year, even with the same "mistake" as last year.
    Stop scamming people.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't got it although tempted because I am saving my crowns for something else. I am glad now after hearing this. I see no reason in a magical world why the mount can't go full speed and even maybe have a magic woosh trail of cinders or sparkles after it to add to the fun. I can see having it work hobby horse style might be fun but that should be very clear that it is not an ordinary functional mount.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't help thinking that this specific instance, being called the Nightmare one, should have the extra feature that once you've selected it, you can never change back to a real mount. Then it would live up to the name.

>:)
  • L2Pissue
    L2Pissue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All this kind of items has to fall under the category "pay to lose" if it's not then it's an issue.
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1st. This mount is majestic and beautiful. I am saddened to hear you do not agree

2nd. I used that mount allllll last night in Cyrodil inspiring the horde. As I rode my majestic beast...the warriors fought harder!!

3rd. When you hit jump he nays!! Like your guy nays!!!

4th. Sometimes speed..is overrated. Enjoy the stroll

5th. Nobody would attack me while mounted on that beast. I think all players find it amusing and it brings a smile.

The sound alone (though I use the Guar one from last year) makes it worth it.

And I certainly wouldn’t attack someone on such a majestic steed.
  • snoozy
    snoozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sinolai wrote: »
    funny how this thread is remade every year during the Jester's Fest :smile:

funny how eso keeps getting new players and zos keeps repeating the same mistakes :trollface:
    PC EU
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I miss when these were bugged so they went full speed. I thought they were funnier that way.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • ProfessorKittyhawk
    ProfessorKittyhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a friend who is afraid of clowns.

I had a character named Hush who was a murderous clown.

I ported to her and surprised her at a quest hub in Elsweyr. She freaked and ran while I chased her in my clown costume riding my hobby horse all around the plantation. Kept her running and hiding for a good fifteen to twenty minutes. She thought she lost me a few times but then there I came, riding up with my hobby horse.

Good times.

In other news, I'm glad this new hobby horse isn't gem gated at least like the dragon hobby mount was. Hope they learned their lesson about gem gating stuff. I don't have a problem with crates personally, but gating things behind gems only and for more than an apex mount costs. That's predatory.