The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Nightmare Horse Stick Mount Scam

jstans_ESO
jstans_ESO
✭✭✭
Am I the only one that feels like this mount is a scam? I purchased it because it looked amusing and like it would be an entertaining mount. But you cannot go mount speed with it. NOWHERE in the description is this stated. Is there any way to get a refund for it? Definitely feels like a scam being tricked into buying a mount only for it to not work like a mount.
  • VaxtinTheWolf
    VaxtinTheWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the previous variants were the same, and at the time this was explained. It's a novelty item, like the Pet Rock.
    || AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
    || DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
    || EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
    PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All of the previous variants were the same, and at the time this was explained. It's a novelty item, like the Pet Rock.

Except that Pay to Lose category is gone. A newer player probably wouldn't know of the novelty feature and I didn't see it mentioned in the March Showcase either.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure whether this falls under the category of "Well, what did you expect, given that it's just you running around with a stick horse between your legs?" but this same exact beef came up the last time the stick mount was available, so it isn't just you who felt suckered by it. I haven't bought it yet, myself.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Write a support ticket, word it nicely and you'll definitely get a refund. But as far as scummy things in Crown Store go, the stick horse isn't one. It was made very clear, even last year, that mount upgrades don't affect this one.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • jstans_ESO
    jstans_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Michae wrote: »
    Write a support ticket, word it nicely and you'll definitely get a refund. But as far as scummy things in Crown Store go, the stick horse isn't one. It was made very clear, even last year, that mount upgrades don't affect this one.

Show me where. I wasn't here for this last year, I saw that stated nowhere in the crown store.

I did go and request a refund, so hopefully they remove it and give me the crowns back. Would also be nice if they'd just add some kind of warning or line of text saying it doesn't go mount speed.
    Edited by jstans_ESO on March 27, 2020 9:32AM
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it doesnt specify, kinda brutal tbh. I got one the first year knowing full well it didnt benefit because I thought it was funny zerging in cyrodiil lol, but yeah, no where does it say anymore
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see any mention in the Crown Store that it doesn't function as a "real" mount.

However, if you go to the "Mounts" area of the Crown Store, it doesn't appear among the other mounts that are for sale, which might suggest that it isn't an actual mount.

On the other hand, it does say "Mount" in the upper left corner of its description, which could conceivably imply that it does in fact function like an actual mount.
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It should state that upgrades don't affect it. Kind of false advertising.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • abigfishy
    abigfishy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was clearly identified as "pay to lose" in the past. They forgot that this time so you have a good chance to get a refund. There is nothing scummy or dishonest about this and it is not a scam it is just some innocent fun.
    Level 50 Characters
    USA
    Odette Skullcrusher Nord DK EP Tank
    Hannah Smithee Breton Templar DC Healer
    Charlotte of the Wild Bosmer NB EP DPS
    Rabbath Amman Dark Elf Sorc EP DPS
    Lovely Twinkle High Elf Sorc AD Tank
    Nepith Dark Elf Warden EP Healer
    Tupac Shakoor Redguard Sorc DC Tank
    Faire the Last Snow Elf Altmer Warden EP Ice Staff Tank
    EU
    Soul-Shriven Breton Sorc DC DPS
    Makush gro-Shurgal Orc DK DC Tank
    Cleopatra Tharn Imperial Sorc EP Healer
    Daenerys Targaryin Nord Templar DC Healer
    Zar Saarshar Khajiit NB DC Thief
    Celrith High Elf Sorc EP Assassin
    Falcar Dark Elf NB DC Necromancer
    Myriam Blaylock Breton NB EP Vampire
    Nivrillin Wood Elf NB DC Werewolf
  • ProfessorKittyhawk
    ProfessorKittyhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least this one isn't a crown gem exclusive like the dragon hobby stick was last year. I'm hoping they've learned ed their lessons about that crap.
  • jstans_ESO
    jstans_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    abigfishy wrote: »
    It was clearly identified as "pay to lose" in the past. They forgot that this time so you have a good chance to get a refund. There is nothing scummy or dishonest about this and it is not a scam it is just some innocent fun.

I don't like "innocent fun" pranks when it comes to stuff that costs real money. It should state "Upgrades do not affect speed".
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    abigfishy wrote: »

It wasn't then but it's a bit sly now. And what if you were someone who only started playing after the event finished last year? You would have no idea that it was not affected by mount upgrades.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jstans_ESO wrote: »

Show me where. I wasn't here for this last year, I saw that stated nowhere in the crown store.

I did go and request a refund, so hopefully they remove it and give me the crowns back. Would also be nice if they'd just add some kind of warning or line of text saying it doesn't go mount speed.

If it's not there then sorry. I didn't check, but the warnings were there last year. Ask for refund as I said instead of getting pissy at people here.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • jstans_ESO
    jstans_ESO
    ✭✭✭

If it's not there then sorry. I didn't check, but the warnings were there last year. Ask for refund as I said instead of getting pissy at people here.

So, replying to people is "getting pissy at people"? Huh, riiiiiight.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So, replying to people is "getting pissy at people"? Huh, riiiiiight.

Yep, and you're doing it again. Write to the support. Arguing on forums won't solve your problem in this instance unfortunately. Check the outfit token thread in the Crow Store to see *** seriously ZOS takes adding warnings to the crown store. I agree there should be a warning, and it was there before, but we can't really do anything about it, and you already bought the thing anyway. I offered you a solution to your problem, take it and use this situation as the lesson. Buyer beware is unfortunately a must when it comes to ZOS.
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • jstans_ESO
    jstans_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, and you're doing it again. Write to the support. Arguing on forums won't solve your problem in this instance unfortunately. Check the outfit token thread in the Crow Store to see *** seriously ZOS takes adding warnings to the crown store. I agree there should be a warning, and it was there before, but we can't really do anything about it, and you already bought the thing anyway. I offered you a solution to your problem, take it and use this situation as the lesson. Buyer beware is unfortunately a must when it comes to ZOS.

Discussing a topic isn't "arguing". If you don't like people discussing things, then go away. I already stated in my very first reply to you that I'd taken your advice and submitted a ticket. But you clearly felt like starting something coming back with your snide remark. So just go away, don't reply again, you're literally the one trying to start an actual argument as opposed to having a discussion, which is what the rest of us are doing. #Ignored
    Edited by jstans_ESO on March 27, 2020 10:30AM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't even realize until tonight that this one isn't the same as "the previous variants." What is this, "Indrik on a Stick," that it keeps getting brought back in a new variation? How many different stick mounts does a player need? I know a lot of players choose their mount as part of their overall costume, so it's cool to have different stick mounts for different characters. But I take it that these things are 1500 Crowns apiece. That's some pretty hardcore collecting. :D
  • Paramundo
    Paramundo
    I was thinking about buying the mount and did not know about that. I feel your frustration. It should bei stated somewhere. ZOS should definitely refund.
  • Mariusghost84
    Mariusghost84
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one that feels like this mount is a scam? I purchased it because it looked amusing and like it would be an entertaining mount. But you cannot go mount speed with it. NOWHERE in the description is this stated. Is there any way to get a refund for it? Definitely feels like a scam being tricked into buying a mount only for it to not work like a mount.

Yeah thats crazy. i bought it last night and i felt scammed when i found out it moves slower than my run speed - on my speedster. Is it possible to get a refund btw?
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should put all the novelty items in the Pay to Lose category when they are active.

Scam? No

This is just ZOS proving once again they are unbelievably terrible at communicating.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah thats crazy. i bought it last night and i felt scammed when i found out it moves slower than my run speed - on my speedster. Is it possible to get a refund btw?

Contact support and state your case, maybe you'll get a refund.. maybe.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And how is someone supposed to know that? People have more important things to do than playing ESO 24/7/365 and getting informed on everything that goes on in this game. There are new players and players that dont play often.

Its ZOS fault that its not mentioned in the product description and only theirs.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Discussing a topic isn't "arguing". If you don't like people discussing things, then go away. I already stated in my very first reply to you that I'd taken your advice and submitted a ticket. But you clearly felt like starting something coming back with your snide remark. So just go away, don't reply again, you're literally the one trying to start an actual argument as opposed to having a discussion, which is what the rest of us are doing. #Ignored

Sorry, I just get ticked off by replies like "show me where". No hard feelings, my bad. If you're on EU I can buy you a drink in some tavern as an apology.
    Edited by Michae on March 27, 2020 11:12AM
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    funny how this thread is remade every year during the Jester's Fest :smile:
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yup, ZOS are catastrophically bad at actually detailing anything about the game or its products. One suspects that this is because so much of its marketing is clearly derived from the gambling industry, whose entire existence is based on players not understanding the products they are being sold and needing to deliberately deceive them to encourage them to gamble.

The stick horse is a fun idea atrociously marketed. If even one player is confused about it (and believe me it’s not just one player), then the blurb for the product is probably not clear enough. ZOS should have the courage and honesty to market their products correctly. You would think that having a decent copywriter and editor wouldn’t be beyond the resources of the almighty Crown Store.

All this does is reinforce the misleading impression that ZOS doesn’t care about its players, and is only interested in their money.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sinolai wrote: »
    funny how this thread is remade every year during the Jester's Fest :smile:

Was there one last year? I thought that last year's horses had a proper disclamer. And there wasny't anything like that in CS in the years before.
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    (Bangs head on table)

It’s a stick with a horses head 🤔 in what kind of weird world would it make you go as fast as a normal horse...?

Could you imagine how cr*p that would look 😈😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    as opposed to having a discussion, which is what the rest of us are doing.

Continuing to purport it as a scam is not a discussion.
    If you *have* changed your mind about that (as you should have), then you need to edit the title of your thread.

Should they have included the disclaimer this year? Hell yes.

Did they scam you? ***k no, they did not.
    It was a stupid oversight on their part.

File your ticket for a refund and move on.

Edited by bearbelly on March 27, 2020 11:32AM
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the factor that contributes most to indeed seeing it more as a scam this year is that it is so horrendously overpriced. I'm not completely sure but I do seem to remember that the price last year was something along the lines of 500 Crowns or so, which is okay for a cosmetic item. This year, though... 1500 Crowns? That is much closer to the price of an actual mount than it is to something that has absolutely no function other than the way it looks and an animation. That, coupled with the fact that it is really not labeled clearly in the Crown Store as not being an actual mount this year, as opposed to last year, kind of makes me doubt that this is really just an honest mistake or oversight on ZOS' part, but rather a strategy for deception, so that more people, who might not have been around before or simply don't remember the specifics or the stick horse from last year will buy it.

I could be wrong and overly cynical here of course, and if you get a refund, OP (which I really hope you do), then maybe I am. I wouldn't put it past them, though, to try something shady like this.
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe they just forgot? They are human to, you know.