The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Slowing down is better?

GRXRG
GRXRG
✭✭✭✭
My question is simple, we all know about animation cancelling to make skills fire faster not to be stuck in the animation (even if in this patch block cancelling doesn't work, but only swap cancel, dodge cancel and bash cancel works).
But we all know even that ESO has 1 second of global internal cooldown for every skill.

If I play my magsorc for example with 2 shields, hardened ward and dampen magic in the rush of the combat i tend to press them really fast and i notice that almost everytime only hardened ward (the first skill i press) goes off and dampen magic it doesn't.

Is it because i press the buttons too fast and don't register because of the global cooldown?

I should slow down and do hardened(immediately bash cancel it) and after a little press dampen?

Because sometimes i face good nightblades players and i in my head i count 1... 2... 3... and i am dead, i go in death recap and there is surprise attack, assassin's will, onslaught and 2 executioners and that's a total of 5 skills, one with cast time and they even if he is a monster of animation cancel it should take at least 5/6 seconds to cast all that skills on me and not 2/3.

Is it how it works or is it server lag or what?

I am just trying to learn. If you can give me tips.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If You're clicking 2 different abilities buttons one instantly after another then second ability wont fire. That second click will not be recognised by the game until ~0,4 sec before abilities global coodown end , when registering for next attack is starting.

As for hitting with onslaught , assasins will , suprise attack and 2 executioners all within around 3 seconds it's possible even without animation cancelling. Global cooldown for abilities is 0,9 seconds. Chanelled and cast time abilities start their global cooldown counting when You click them. So with onslaught having 0,4 sec cast time when it hits target then onslaughts owner is already after 0,4 sec of global cooldown counting so he is just 0,5 sec away from being able to use next ability. Assuming that perfect weaving was used and we start counting timer after onslaught hit it'll look something like that :
    0.0 sec - onslaught hit
    0.5 sec - assasins will hit
    1,4 sec - suprise attack hit
    2,3 sec - 1st executioner hit
    3,2 sec 2nd executioner hit

If we would begin counting when onclaughts animation starts it would just go up to 3,6 seconds. So as You can see hitting all those 5 attacks within ~3 seconds is possible and there is no animation cancelling needed for that. You just need to click fast and properly.
  • GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »
    If You're clicking 2 different abilities buttons one instantly after another then second ability wont fire. That second click will not be recognised by the game until ~0,4 sec before abilities global coodown end , when registering for next attack is starting.

As for hitting with onslaught , assasins will , suprise attack and 2 executioners all within around 3 seconds it's possible even without animation cancelling. Global cooldown for abilities is 0,9 seconds. Chanelled and cast time abilities start their global cooldown counting when You click them. So with onslaught having 0,4 sec cast time when it hits target then onslaughts owner is already after 0,4 sec of global cooldown counting so he is just 0,5 sec away from being able to use next ability. Assuming that perfect weaving was used and we start counting timer after onslaught hit it'll look something like that :
    0.0 sec - onslaught hit
    0.5 sec - assasins will hit
    1,4 sec - suprise attack hit
    2,3 sec - 1st executioner hit
    3,2 sec 2nd executioner hit

If we would begin counting when onclaughts animation starts it would just go up to 3,6 seconds. So as You can see hitting all those 5 attacks within ~3 seconds is possible and there is no animation cancelling needed for that. You just need to click fast and properly.

Really onslaught has a different gcd?
    It's 1 second not 0.9 the gcd.
    And animation cancelling is needed, executioner animation is longer than 1 second.

0.0 sec surprise attack bash cancelled
    1 sec assassin's cancelled
    2 sec onslaught
    3 sec 1th executioner
    4.4 sec 2nd executioner (because of 0.4 ult cast time)

And this is the value of perfect animation cancelling which maybe is possible only by a robot, considering keyboard have a bit of keys delay too, and human natural delay.
    So it goes to 5/6 seconds minimum.

If he light attack weave too the value goes even higher even if light attacks share a different cooldown from skills you still press an additional button and add seconds.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skills have 0,9 sec global cooldown. Even add on designed to show global cooldowns have 900 ms refresh ratio https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2322-GlobalCooldownGCDBar.html . It's also not coincidene that You can get sometimes ability cast ratio over 1.0 . No onslaught do not have different global cooldown. It's just hits enemy 0,4 sec after using it because it have a cast time and it cannot be speed up so You'll always get hit atleast 0,4 sec after enemy used it which means global cooldown left to use another ability at this point is 0,5 sec because 0,4+0,5=0,9.

I assumed that somebody would start combo with onslaught to maximize DPS due to 100% penetration he/she will get for next attacks and overal shorter time of whole combo but even without that whole combo would get just 0,4 sec longer if You wouldn't start from onslaught. Death recap do not always show abilities that killed You in proper row especially if quick combo killed You. And no You do not need animation cancelling to perform what I've described in my first post. Duration of animations doesnt matter when we're talking about instant cast abilities. Even if executioner would have animation longer then 0,9 sec it would slightly clip itself out at the end after global cooldown is over and You're using next ability. So overall time of properly executed combo in perfect conditions is 3,2 sec and even with delays caused by lag and human error You can stll keep it under 4 seconds. And that is not even fastest combo possible. There are combos in the game where You can get hit by 4 abilities and light/medium attacks inbetween in slightly more then one second (dizzying into medium attack+onslaught into blastbones and la+executioner)

And sorry but Your method of measuring time by counting to three in Your head is not the greatest method I've seen. Using combat log for that would be reccomended even though it also have it downsides it's still far better then counting time in Your head.
    Edited by Juhasow on March 27, 2020 2:03PM
  • Aznox
    Aznox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skills have 0,9 sec global cooldown
    Can you get us a CMX log with skill chained at 0.9 interval ? pretty sure it is indeed 1 sec and that add-on that use 0.9 do so to help queuing before the end of the CD.
    Aznox
    PC EU
    Khajiit Orc Bosmer Stamina Sorcerer and Werewolf Stage 3 Vampire
    I live in Battlegrounds
    Theorycrafting enthusiast
    Official Cheese Lord
    CP1500+ club
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aznox wrote: »
    Skills have 0,9 sec global cooldown
    Can you get us a CMX log with skill chained at 0.9 interval ? pretty sure it is indeed 1 sec and that add-on that use 0.9 do so to help queuing before the end of the CD.

CMX is measuring it on client side. That is why in CMX combat log very often You'll see different intervals between abilities casts sometimes under 1 second and sometimes above because it measures how Your client registered them. In that context CMX is not 100% reliable because we're talking here about very small time margins. But even in CMX You can perform longer parses where Your ability cast ratio will be above 1.0.
    Edited by Juhasow on March 27, 2020 3:45PM
  • Aznox
    Aznox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But even in CMX You can perform longer parses where Your ability cast ratio will be above 1.0.
    That would be a good way to settle the argument, i'll try.
    Aznox
    PC EU
    Khajiit Orc Bosmer Stamina Sorcerer and Werewolf Stage 3 Vampire
    I live in Battlegrounds
    Theorycrafting enthusiast
    Official Cheese Lord
    CP1500+ club
  • Red_Nine
    Red_Nine
    ✭✭✭
    [quote=You just need to click fast and properly.[/quote]