The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Problems with Block! it keeps falling off

Baraber
Baraber
✭✭✭
Hi! been playing tank for ages...
the recent changes to block made it so that if i keep block up (holding mouse right click) and my stamina runs out; i'm receiving damage as if i'm not blocking - so far so good.
the problem arises when i, lets say, drink a stamina potion or fill my stamina some other way and keep pressing block, it LOOKS like my character is blocking, but in reality it does not.
so i need to drop block, and then reapply it for the block to take effect.

so in other words: i keep holding block, without leaving it, my stamina runs out = i take full unmitigated damage, but when i fill my stamina back up i need to REAPPLY the block for it to take effect, even tho the animation suggest that i am still blocking, it didn't work like this prior to this patch, why to i need to manually reapply my block? also, i died a few times in sunspire because i thought i was blocking! when in reality i wasn't.
please fix it, either make the block animation drop when the stamina reaches zero so i can know i'm not blocking OR, make it so that if i'm holding block and i refill my stamina the block reapply itself without me having to repeatedly right-click.

hope i'm clear enough.

tnx in advance!
  • Rikumaru
    Rikumaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate it when my block falls off.
    Overload rework. Power Overload now does physical damage and grants you the power of a tornado: You throw a brick at the target with a light attack, and you hammer your head into that brick with every heavy attack. We have decreased its Ultimate cost, but increased the chance that you get stuck in the animation.
  • adirondack
    adirondack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hello Chip!
    Ray
  • Expert
    Expert
    ✭✭✭✭
    zenimax makes gr8 games would r8 10/10
  • Nser
    Nser
    ✭✭✭
  • darthgummibear_ESO
    darthgummibear_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your character is unable to block for whatever reason it should drop the block. One of my vet deaths in one of the new dungeons was taking a full force aoe when it looked like I was blocking but apparently I wasn't.
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is a game-breaking bug for all vet content - ZOS, please fix ASAP.
  • Anska
    Anska
    ✭✭✭
    I had a similar problem on live yesterday: Sometimes I would still have my block pressed but my character wouldn't block any longer (as in not raising the shield/frost staff) and I had to press again for the block to register again. It might have had something to do with bar-swap but I am pretty sure, that I had enough resources for the weapon on the bar I was switching to, but it might be that the blocking-resource of the bar I was switching from was almost empty.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That can’t be right. We reported that issue on PTS, there’s no way Zeni would have failed to address it, and let a known bug like that make it into the live patch. They certainly don’t have a history of doing exactly that.

:trollface:
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think I had the same thing last night, I thought attacks went through my block when I block casted a skill just before getting hit. I went to bed a bit frustrated because I couldnt figure it out but his explains a lot, thanks for posting this!
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Hexvaldr
    Hexvaldr
    ✭✭✭
    I have noticed that if you bar swap immediately into a block, there is a much different delay than before the changes and it will show you blocking, but the game does not register it. This basically makes it so that you cannot reliably run a lightning staff as a tank on your back bar, because you cannot swap quickly enough into a front bar block in response to incoming heavy hits. Instead, you have to block before swapping, this requiring a back bar frost staff.
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed that my drops when my Stamina drops below a certain percentage remaining. So, if your getting hit frequently than your block falls off when your stamina hits that remainder threshold.

This maybe working, as designed by the devs. e.g. you cant block damage without resources to pay for the block cost.

It seems there's a floating remainder threshold on the character"s stamina before reaching an absolute zero resource. The block stamina cost has the damage received coefficient to calculate stamina cost per damage effect i.e. heavy hits cost more than light damage hits.

So, the character's stamina gets consumed by light-medium damage. Then an incoming heavy hit is calculated, and the server determined the character does not have enough stamina to mitigate that attack than your block drops.

Edited by Sahidom on March 4, 2020 1:50PM
  • Baraber
    Baraber
    ✭✭✭
    Sahidom wrote: »
    I've noticed that my drops when my Stamina drops below a certain percentage remaining. So, if your getting hit frequently than your block falls off when your stamina hits that remainder threshold.

This maybe working, as designed by the devs. e.g. you cant block damage without resources to pay for the block cost.

It seems there's a floating remainder threshold on the character"s stamina before reaching an absolute zero resource. The block stamina cost has the damage received coefficient to calculate stamina cost per damage effect i.e. heavy hits cost more than light damage hits.

So, the character's stamina gets consumed by light-medium damage. Then an incoming heavy hit is calculated, and the server determined the character does not have enough stamina to mitigate that attack than your block drops.

it has always been the case, the only difference now is manual, as you have to re apply mouse right-click.
    before this patch a lot of tanks were used to hold right click the majority of the fight, and they did just that, by holding right click then, when you ran out of stamina the block fell off, but when you filled your stamina the blocking *automatically* went back on, that make it so that a tank can virtually hold right-click the entire fight without letting go, and the block will be up when there is stamina present, and will be down when there isn't.
    NOW every time your stamina is low, the blocking drops, but YOU have to release right click, wait half a sec, and then apply right click again, every single time.
    this has resulted in endless new cases that the tanks "could swear that they were blocking" but they died anyway.

There is also the cherry on top: in some instances, there is sometimes a visual bug that causes the block animation to remain active even though the block is not active, this can occur when the case described above of the stamina running out while holding right-click happens.

The result: you are holding right-click, your stamina is full, even the animation sometimes show that you are blocking, you have NO WAY of knowing if the block is actually active or not, do they expect me to remember that 1 minute ago my stamina went low for a second and that caused my block to drop behind the scenes? why do i need to reapply right click over and over again if i'm already holding it? I died so many times since this change it's just insane.

P.S: this change does not effect those tanks who only block heavy attacks and then release block, these guys are use to reapply right-click as a force of habit.
    i am advocating for the other 50% of the tank population that are used to hold right-click constantly while facing a challenging foe, not all of us are extreme multi-taskers, and we are used to tanking this way for the past 5 years, this change HURTS us.

• neovatarb16_ESO
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Can we please get a confirmation about a fix for this bug? It's awful for tanks ...
  • stpdmonkey
    stpdmonkey
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_BrianWheeler
    Who done need to talk to in order to get a response about broken block. This is becoming a serious issue in running content. It always shows we are blocking but we get hit as if we are not. We are loosing the ability to complete content that we normally can get thru with little issues. Please give us some information about this.
  • graybeardII
    graybeardII
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same on live but i think it has to do with block cost being higher than showen once my stam is below half only a little on my magplar it just wont block and block seems slow all the time if I dont block as soon as it shows hevey attack it's like I didn't block in time and I can only block 2 or 3 times before my stam is to low to block even if it shows i have stam in my bar then im dodge rolleing the rest of the fight you get the picture
  • stpdmonkey
    stpdmonkey
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen tanks dying to a single heavy attack with full stam. You have to release and reapply block every 5ish seconds. It will show you are blocking but it has stopped performing. It has nothing to with your remaining resources. It does not stay applied. In fights where mechanics are over 4 seconds or you have multiple adds hitting hard you are unable to block long enough to survive. This is game breaking. Lower dps so we can't burn fast enough to prevent such things from happening. Make it so tanks cant block. What are we supposed to do. Just die over and over never getting content complete. No deaths are damn near impossible now. Now 50% of achievements or accomplishments are only available to the elite. The fact that zos wont answer anything to do with this issue is the most infuriating part.