The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.2 is available.

DPS Attack Weaving and Skillset

gbradleyd
gbradleyd
Soul Shriven
Here is my unbiased opinion of the current PTS LA/HA debate. First my qualifications. I am a day one Xbox player, with 2 gamertags. I have no ESO plus but I have bought every DLC since it came out. I have 14 toons (3 tanks, 3 healers, 8 dps). Obviously, I cannot play the PTS but I do read very well, and watch alot of youtube videos. I also cannot play DPS, my best builds on DPS are for PvP, not PvE, and I have practiced learning to weave in LA's which has improved my DPS to a tolerable level for Vet dungeons. (20K DPS anyone?). I am a vet trials healer, healing is where I shine.
Now here is an analogy.
I play Guitar, very well. To become a very good guitar player I had to invest 10,000 hours of real time. It was challenging, difficult, and ultimately rewarding. If Guitar was DPS, I would crush. And although it isn't, I think the analogy remains valid. No One is coming to nerf my Fender Stratocaster anytime soon, but if they were, I would be upset. I'd probably dislike it.

To the developers I say, I think you have to consider that although games change, somethings should remain constant, even if they began as unintended mechanics. When I play guitar, I tend to fall back on some of the same riffs and ideas I first learned regardless of WHAT I am playing. Sometimes those things seem uninspired, but they always work. Now that I have them in my arsenal it would be foolish not to use them, because even when they are uninspiring to me, they sound good to the fans.
The "LA weaving" META, as it were, is a staple of this game. Even with its possible drawbacks, it is learnable and teachable to anyone willing to spend a minimum of time with it. Although I suck at DPS, I have actually taught NOOB's in my various guilds how it works. (Buff, Spam, Execute), Weave LA's. I admit sometimes I am Jelly of the guys who hit 40-50k DPS (AND MORE!!??) even on console, How!? But I am impressed with their willingness to practice and spend time at a level I normally reserve for other pursuits.
Also, Combat is not a RolePlay Mechanic per say. Healing, Tanking, and DPS are roleplaying mechanics, but Combat is a skillset, and skillset's are developed over time, with practice. Trying to balance the interaction between Roles is good, but balancing a skillset is not logical, because there will always be gaps between people, even those supposedly attempting to fill the same roles. Even though one person can't do Combat at the same level as someone else, it does not automatically follow that the Combat is what needs to change.

To the Players I say, things do change, especially in an MMO. If the game developers don't change things, even combat mechanics, then the game itself will stagnate. (Pet-Sorcs anyone?) New content, and DLC are not enough on their own to stave off game stagnation when any Combat encounter can be turned into a DPS melt by the right players. ( I ran an empty dungeon once because my "Healer" ran ahead and smoked all the adds and bosses, while me and the other 2 guys were still on the first boss. He killed literally everything else!)
Also, I know a few DPS who don't play anymore because the game got too easy. "Balancing" changes create something different, and can potentially reinvigorate an uninspiring or under utilized aspect of the game.
Finally, I admit that my opinion is LA/HA damage should remain relatively untouched. I don't mind the idea of resource recovery for light attacks, and I am very warm to the idea of an HA damage boost, without the loss of resource recovery. But I don't know how to accomplish those things in coding. Anyway that's all I got, thanks for reading.
  • justaquickword
    justaquickword
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a sneaking suspicion that the proposed combat changes currently being tested out may be linked in some way with a possible forthcoming rework of the champion point system.

I'm no expert, just guessing.