Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How would a nb bomber be better than a sorc bomber in a ballgroup?

DirtyDeeds765
DirtyDeeds765
✭✭✭✭
Other than the quicker ulti gen through potion passive and soul harvest and being able to heal as I sap.. unless yall think those are dealbreakers?

My main is a Sorc and I pvp alot and want to get 5 stars for him.

With spinners, vd, and balorghs on both, my sorc has considerably higher tooltips for his proxy, destro, and pulsar.

I know for solo bombing, nb is a no brainer. But for group play, where you dont gotta worry about stealth, why would I want a nb bomber over a sorc bomber if the tooltips are higher? I'm also tankier because I run snb back bar and can provide burst heals if need be through matriarch.

Nb

Spinners vd

Sap 8695

Destro 7463

Proxy 8982

Sorc

Spinners vd

Pulsar 9412

Destro 8211

Proxy 9393
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    NB bombers in ball groups are decent, I assume by bomber you mean using prox det and synergies? You can do well as a sorc, but it’s a slightly different playstyle.

The reason magblades do well in this role is because of minor protection (dark cloak) if they want it, plus merciless mitigation stacks. It’s very easy to have 25k+ health while wearing light armour and still be tanky.

A lot of groups subbed out magblades for magnecros and magwardens. They’re the classes that can be just as tanky, while being like a magblade +. Northern Storm + major breach + better aoe for MagWarden or colossus (major vulnerability) + fear circles + crit bonus at low health (helps with vicious death) for magnecro.

Magsorcs are squishier because they don’t have a unique class mitigation ability or minor protection. They’re still widely used by ball groups though, usually for cleanse spamming (best sustain with dark conversion) + wrath + negate but are generally more back line.

Most ball groups rely on cleanse, harmony, group cc (negate) and aoes for their damage, and Sorcs contribute a lot, just differently. In the same way a magsorc can get the last hit in a death match with wrath, they can get the last hit in a ball group for the vicious death proc.

Thing you have to realize is with 3x harmony and onslaught a gravity crush can hit people for 30k damage, even if they have 30k resists. It’s about more than damage, some mitigation and a high health pool is important so people have the reaction time to heal you. If you’re getting 1 shot you can’t contribute.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 18, 2020 1:34AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sorcs have the spelldamage passive, which is why you're seeing higher tooltips. Nightblades have a crit passive, on the other hand. Higher chance for extreme damage.
    Soul Tether is an instant AoE burst ulti and the reason magblades are the preferred bombers. The destro ult is a DoT, giving your enemies time to react with heals, blocks and scattering.
    Cloak is also more inconspicuous than Streak for closing in.
    Is Spinner's really the best set for bombers? Wouldn't New Moon Acolyte be better?
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If only Tether was instant ...
    And cloak is useless for grp/zerg fights, while streak provides the best aoe cc.

I don't see a single reason to run nb in an organized grp - it is the only class that doesn't bring anything unique that other classes can't cover just as well if not better. Ofc nb still works if the grp is large enough and everything else is already covered, but that's just because at that pont it literally doesn't matter on which class you slap another harmony/proxy/vd setup.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having proxy on bar does not make You a bomber. Also part of the nightblade burst potential is not shown on his tooltips right away because his passives provide additional crit chance and crit damage and You can get major berserk mid combat if You'll properly use Reaper's Mark.
    Edited by Juhasow on March 18, 2020 9:59AM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, I don’t know if things have changed because I haven’t been in cyrodiil for a while, but typically it goes:

Kite around a bit waiting for things to line up - coordinate prox det - then:

- fear circle from Necro
    - negate from sorc
    - immobilize from DK
    - gravity crush/Nova from Templar
    - self synergy from Necro

All on one area and blow everyone up with vicious death. Nothing unique from NBs, but they do everything adequately so there’s been no reason to change for people who main them.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rianai wrote: »
    And cloak is useless for grp/zerg fights, while streak provides the best aoe cc.

I don't see a single reason to run nb in an organized grp - it is the only class that doesn't bring anything unique that other classes can't cover just as well if not better. Ofc nb still works if the grp is large enough and everything else is already covered, but that's just because at that pont it literally doesn't matter on which class you slap another harmony/proxy/vd setup.

Oh, please! 0.5 seconds cast time is effectively instant, unless you wanna barswap, which you don't.
    Bombers don't care about what happens after the bomb went off. You have one job, to deliver it. After that you die. It's about bringing it in, to unsuspecting foes. And Cloak does it best.
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other than the quicker ulti gen through potion passive and soul harvest and being able to heal as I sap.. unless yall think those are dealbreakers?

My main is a Sorc and I pvp alot and want to get 5 stars for him.

First off, MagSorc is the easiest class to get the 5 stars solo. It is most probably easier to solo your 5 stars than to persuade your group leader.

That being said, yes, Sap beats Pulsar every day.

The main reason why MagSorc bombers are not welcome in most groups are

a) they are used as Purge bots (I guess that is my fault, even though I say at every situation that a good group MagSorc is as much a bomber as s/he is a purger, and a healer, but the purge part just sticked due to ignorance).

b) There is an (outdated) idea that MagSorcs are too squishy in the bomber role. A group bombblade can run around in Heavy Alchemist/ Acuity + VD + Balorgh, and with easy access to Major Evasion, they won´t lose a lot of damage. A sensible group leader would NEVER accept a "SquishSorc", like you suggested, for a bomber role. You are more likely to VD your own group than your opponents. Playstyle-wise, MagBlades are very unlikely to bomb their own groups as they typically have a higher degree of movement (We don't talk about CC- Sorcs, naturally).

SquishSorcs should be used as ranged DDs. The SNB backbar mainly helps you in 1vs1 situations, but not during bombing. Shield stacking is no solution either, because in the 1-3 seconds of the bomb, you will lose damage because of it, all whilst the MagBlade spams Sap for powerful group heals.

That being said, it is possible to be both tanky and bursty enough for that role, at the expense of almost no regen. I played MagSorc bomber for 2 years before abandoning the whole ball group playstyle altogether.

c) There is another reason: Skill bar space. Just assume you are a MagSorc. You HAVE to to the purging, you have to do some port- through CC, you have to do Matriarch heals, you have to provide for the Liquid synergy (and sometimes even the Orbs). In such a specialized group you lack the bar space to kill stuff, whilst the MagBlade can still do additional tasks like scouting or harassing or killing with their group skill setup.

d) VD with Mages Wrath is awesome, but it´s damn hard to do it while you are standing in the middle of everything, with your view being obstructed. Only VERY few MagSorcs are able to do that without risking a VD against them. Plus, you need something to spread panic so that the opponent group stops purging. So it´s generally better to play the Sorc as a ranged DD (even though I personally prefer melee range as a Sorc)

e) Purging is just too important in a bomb situation, because it removes soft CC. Without the purge, you get counterbombed, and you are dead. That´s why most groups prefer a purge Sorc over a bomb Sorc. You CAN solve that problem by having more than one Sorc in your group (who share responsibilities), but this would reduce the amount of Wardens you can employ (Given that 1 Temp, 1 DK, 1 Necro is a must because of their synergies), so it can only be done in groups larger than 8 IF you assume that you need more than 3 Wardens in a ballgroup.
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • DirtyDeeds765
    DirtyDeeds765
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

Oh, please! 0.5 seconds cast time is effectively instant, unless you wanna barswap, which you don't.
    Bombers don't care about what happens after the bomb went off. You have one job, to deliver it. After that you die. It's about bringing it in, to unsuspecting foes. And Cloak does it best.

This is only true for solo bombing, which is not the topic of this thread.
    (and due to the great game performance those 0.5s cast time rarely last only 0,5s - which means even solo bombing doesn't always work, because the skill simply refuses to go off in time).
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This is only true for solo bombing, which is not the topic of this thread.
    (and due to the great game performance those 0.5s cast time rarely last only 0,5s - which means even solo bombing doesn't always work, because the skill simply refuses to go off in time).

Hm... Yes, true. If your strategy is to just bluntly dash in, maybe with allies, then yes. I can see that. I don't think that's the optimal way, though. If enemies see you coming, they will just scatter. Even in a group, I'd rather stealth my approach. But you know, this is a personal preference. We can leave it at that.
    The cast time thing is blown out of proportion. Come now, insta-skills also suffer from lag.
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no stealthing with aoes flying all over the place. And in an organised grp you don't want to have a part of the grp waiting in stealth doing nothing while the rest is fighting. And ofc everything suffers from lag, but some skills more than others - and cast times definitely make it worse.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A bomber won't contribute much outside bombing, anyway. And the AoEs have short range. When they pull you out, it's too late.
    Point stands, Tether is more... bombastic than destro ult. Cast time doesn't change that.
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then why has destro ult always been the far more common ult for grp bombing (even before Tether nerfs and when nb was actually good in grp)?
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sorc can bomb fine if played well.
    One issue is that if you have to be on negate then your dmg can be lower because you are having to hold your ulti.
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A bomber won't contribute much outside bombing, anyway. And the AoEs have short range. When they pull you out, it's too late.
    Point stands, Tether is more... bombastic than destro ult. Cast time doesn't change that.
    Your comment shows you have very little experience with ball grouping/organized groups. Tether is not used in ballgroups. Destro ult is miles better for a magblade in ball groups as it is a high damage sustained ult that sticks on you while moving and together with other ults it will deal very high dps with a chance every second to pop VD, especially when there are some juicy vamps around waiting to be melted by the fire dmg. Movement is key. With tether you have 1 chance at burst, which is simply not how ballgroups operate because the margin for error is too big. Cool that you think tether is more bombastic, it matters not at all in a ball group scenario where multiple ults are stacked on top of each other and the only thing that matters is getting maximum amount of VD procs and activating synergies.
    Edited by Koensol on March 19, 2020 7:05AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It comes down to how you plan to bomb.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »
    Your comment shows you have very little experience with ball grouping/organized groups. Tether is not used in ballgroups. Destro ult is miles better for a magblade in ball groups as it is a high damage sustained ult that sticks on you while moving and together with other ults it will deal very high dps with a chance every second to pop VD, especially when there are some juicy vamps around waiting to be melted by the fire dmg. Movement is key. With tether you have 1 chance at burst, which is simply not how ballgroups operate because the margin for error is too big. Cool that you think tether is more bombastic, it matters not at all in a ball group scenario where multiple ults are stacked on top of each other and the only thing that matters is getting maximum amount of VD procs and activating synergies.

Hmhm. And your group doesn't scatter when the destro ult comes in? Okay.
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »

Hmhm. And your group doesn't scatter when the destro ult comes in? Okay.
    What kind of answer is that even? Like honestly. Of course people run. They will try to run as well when you come running in with your group when you have tether slotted. But there are tools to prevent them from running: cornering them, cc, roots, baiting them in choke points, negates, etc etc. There's more than enough burst from stamdens and synergy's (on top of major vulnerability from colossus) to pop people. It is the destro ults, storms and overall sustained cleave dmg that will consistently finish off the people that were bursted to low health, in turn popping the VD procs.

By all means dude, make your own ball group and let the nbs slot tether, lets see how it goes for you. Sure you will absolutely pop the people standing next to you but don't have anymore dmg output on the the rest of the enemy group after that. You are thinking from a solo bomb perspective and not taking into account the entire group composition and how every gap is filled.
    Edited by Koensol on March 20, 2020 8:28AM
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a discussion from 2018.

Play your sorc as stamsorc in the group, so both can profit. The only place magsorc has in ball groups is as a healer.
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Berenhir wrote: »

Play your sorc as stamsorc in the group, so both can profit. The only place magsorc has in ball groups is as a healer.

This is completely false
    @Solar_Breeze
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is completely false

Well, what does a magsorc bring to the table that is not done better by other classes including its stamina variant?
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This is completely false

Well, what does a magsorc bring to the table that is not done better by other classes including its stamina variant?

To a ball group? Negate, encase (works but usually left to DKs), wrath and the best sustain. Streak can be used as an aoe stun as well.

A spec using dark conversion has the best sustain out of all classes, only downside is no minor or major mending so each cleanse won’t have as much oomph. For healers also a multi/directional best ST burst heal, templars have the overall best with that prayer one but the range sucks.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 20, 2020 3:01PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This is completely false

There is no point to play stamsorc in group in the current meta, Mag sorc brings offbar heals, strong spell dmg, good enemy control and a potential synergy.

Sure they are also good in a support role too but they are completely fine in dd role too.
    @Solar_Breeze
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is completely false

There is no point to play stamsorc in group in the current meta, Mag sorc brings offbar heals, strong spell dmg, good enemy control and a potential synergy.

Sure they are also good in a support role too but they are completely fine in dd role too.

Well, I strongly disagree. The heals and enemy control on a DD spec is far better provided by stamsorcs as they have the better roots and provide very strong healing for significantly less GCDs. The potential synergy is a point but I don't think it is all too strong compared to an active DD's damage output. As of the "strong spell dmg", a raid specced stamsorc is situated somewhere between 5k (nearly no buffs) and 8k (fully buffed) weapon damage, 32k stamina and ~50% crit with ~8k +20% pen so I doubt you can build a magsorc even coming close to these values.

As of acutal effective damage output, magsorc just has no good AoE spammable.
    Edited by Berenhir on March 20, 2020 3:18PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This is completely false

Well, I strongly disagree. The heals and enemy control on a DD spec is far better provided by stamsorcs as they have the better roots and provide very strong healing for significantly less GCDs. The potential synergy is a point but I don't think it is all too strong compared to an active DD's damage output. As of the "strong spell dmg", a raid specced stamsorc is situated somewhere between 5k (nearly no buffs) and 8k (fully buffed) weapon damage, 32k stamina and ~50% crit with ~8k +20% pen so I doubt you can build a magsorc even coming close to these values.

Shock clench works well. I don’t have the master’s lightning to try it myself, but I’ve seen magwardens and magsorcs use it and it was effective.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

This is completely false

Shock clench works well. I don’t have the master’s lightning to try it myself, but I’ve seen magwardens and magsorcs use it and it was effective.

I don't think we are talking about the same level of gameplay.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This is completely false

I guess not.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Crash427
    Crash427
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is completely false

Ballgroups are all about harmony now and most synergies are magic damage. Onslaught is pretty much the only exception for stam synergizers but that has it's own problems.
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This is completely false

You're right we probs aren't :wink:

(See above about harmony, radiating regen is a factor too as is proxy)
    Edited by Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO on March 21, 2020 3:16PM
    @Solar_Breeze
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is completely false

You're right we probs aren't :wink:

(See above about harmony, radiating regen is a factor too as is proxy)

Both are not, but I won't educate you as you know yourself that not every DD wears harmony. You seem to be following Sanct's magicka first group build pattern and you are doing fine as of your latest video. You got your style, we got our style of raiding.

I wonder how many DD magsorcs you have though :wink:
    Edited by Berenhir on March 21, 2020 4:15PM