Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How is XP granted?

jesterstear
jesterstear
✭✭✭
How is XP granted in this game? Some folks seem to be falling behind others say they are outlevelling their quests. Obviously quest xp is a fixed quantity but what about mob kills, and do you get the same xp for a solo kill as a group kill.

If a group effort pays less, is that proportionate to damage done, heals made etc?

I've dinged level 26 with 30 minutes under 3 days /played time. 116 quests completed.

A straw poll in the chat channel indicates i'm the slowest leveller, some players needing half as much time to reach 28.

However there's people a few levels below who've done more quests... so I must have missed something then?

My char is a tank with secondary healing role. I have two dps skills, Ransack, and Soul Shatter (I explode when I die, which doubles my dps output). I was thinking this was the main prob but I seem to have ground a fair bit.... a lot of hours and not many quests for my level already.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Exploration gives a lot of experience, both in uncovering new locales and opening treasure chests you find. Not to mention opening up quests you wouldn't be aware of if you didn't get near the area they originate (not everything originates in the nearest town like other MMOs).
  • Bazzakrak
    Bazzakrak
    ✭✭✭
    You also get a good deal of xp closing the anchors, as well as killing those small bands of monsters that drop from the blue holes in the sky.
    There are also sometimes people calling for help, luring you into an ambush, or traders needing help with bandits.
    Those small things give a nice little bit of xp as well.

And to get xp for your different guilds, and yeah I know you didnt ask for it, are loosly said:
    Mage need you to find lorebooks.
    Fighters guild kill undead and draeda.
    Undaunted needs you to do dungeons
    We're born, we live, we die. And along the way, you do the best with whatever crap you step in :p

I'm stranded all alone in the gas station of love, And I have to use the self-service pumps <3

Post Hoc Ergo Proptor Hoc o:)

Motivation alone is not enough. If i had an idiot with me and i motivated him, then i will have a motivated idiot to do stuff :s
  • NetViperX
    NetViperX
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed this problem myself with generally being 1 or 2 levels below the quests. I explore all over to get remote quests, open chests and even get the achievements for doing quests in each zone, but still I rarely find myself at level with the quests.

Recently I have taken to grinding enemies to get my level up each time I find the quests higher level than me, but that is very time consuming and not something I will want to do often.