The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

MMR grouping and Tank meta are still awful.

Oathunbound
Oathunbound
✭✭✭
as of late the only thing i have been doing is BG's because there is nothing else i can do until dlc drops, and it seems MMR grouping is still terrible, Even tho its solo que, 9 times out of ten there is 1 team that is absolutely dominating as if they were a premade and the other teams are either uncoordinated, or simply out of their depth, or lacking a healer. I have to admit my view is skewed because i main magblade and they are in a horrible spot atm in pvp. Even then i figure screw it ill make him into a healer and i found i liked the build i threw together but then i eventually ran into the same issue as having the people i group up with either run in solo and immediately die or despite piling on a target is just shrugs it off and heals to full then ult burst down my team faster than i can heal. Then on the reverse if i am somehow blessed and get a focused high damage team, its really boring because there is little challenge or fun in crushing people that are just unaware or playing bad, or even worse its nothing but tanks and healers and its just one long boring slog fest with the time running out and no team reaching over 400pts in tdm or 1 team just winning chaos ball (tho you can build for strait tanking and que for only "flag games")

I have no idea if they even made the MMR account wide since i jump on my magsorc if i wanna actually fight instead of heal and i still run into 5min+ ques despite having no to low mmr due to lack of playing him and the same situations happen after a few games, first few are fine then WHAM, tanks and 1 super team. Honestly at this point i would prefer a MMR que and a no MMR que so if you want to play with "similarly skilled players" then go for it, but if you want true randomness just que for no MMR because the first few games felt almost balances, well balanced in terms of tank meta BS, but then it goes into the same old routine of 1 great team vs 2 scattered teams.
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've said it before that premades were not the problem, it is "solo" players that think they are Rambo honestly. They want to wander off and it ruins the people that want to play together experience.

The solution to the entire thing is easy to be honest. Release a ranked and unranked mode.

Ranked mode- promote team based play where you can que solo or in a group and face others where you earn rank (not mmr but an actual rank like 1-10 where you can go up or down depending on your performance). Add special exclusive prizes for winning x amount of matches getting a certain rank ECT and change up rewards every month to keep people interested.

Unranked- solo que where you just play bg to play. People can que there and have their "solo" only que but because it's solo only no bonus rewards as the actual whole BG game mode revolves around teamwork.
  • Commandment
    Commandment
    ✭✭✭
    So people are starting to see it's not the premades.

Sorry the moment when I see you saying you're having trouble with magnb and mag sorc. The rest of your complaint about there being a tank in a team seems invalid. In BG's both dominate pretty easily. The only concern I see you having, is you're not able to easily kill them like you can on any other stamina user class.

Sorc easily carry a team.

NB I've seen one take out 3 people on his own in BG's, literally all you have to do is keep weaving in and out of stealth and you can make dreams come true.
  • Oathunbound
    Oathunbound
    ✭✭✭

Sorry the moment when I see you saying you're having trouble with magnb and mag sorc. The rest of your complaint about there being a tank in a team seems invalid. In BG's both dominate pretty easily. The only concern I see you having, is you're not able to easily kill them like you can on any other stamina user class.

NB I've seen one take out 3 people on his own in BG's, literally all you have to do is keep weaving in and out of stealth and you can make dreams come true.

If you don't play mag nb don't comment on how op it is, it isnt unless you play multiple proc sets or go against potatos. Second sorc is good yes, and can carry a team if all other players don't build for pvp or have no clue as to what is going on. Ironically pre mmr reset premades were not a issue, the issue was a stale roster of the same people but the teams would swap between matches and every so often a premade shows up and ill just not que right after a game to avoid going against them. As of right now the queing seems radically off. If i could kill people left and right on my nb or sorc or dk or warden then why would i be here? Why are there so many threads complaining about long ques after the "reset"? Also if i just plain ol suck at pvp then does that mean i suck so damn hard that i cause my team and 1 of the opposing teams to be unable to scratch the 3rd team that functions as if it were a premade? I would honestly like them to revert back to the old MMR bg system because for some reason the que was longer but the quality of the games were better
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In addition to forcing solo queue only, they also reset each character's individual MMR. So everyone is getting lumped together for a while until the players that focus more and BGs start to separate themselves with earning a higher MMR.

Until that separation occurs, there is a lot of luck involved in team skill composition. The best thing you can do is try to communicate with your team to get them to stick together, tell the poor soul who has gone 1 and 8 to stop going off on his own.

Removing premades will ultimately result in higher quality matches, but not until there is more MMR differentiation.

I only hope that ZOS hasn't also modified the MMR system in such a way that causes significantly less skilled or experienced players to continue to be matched against far more skilled and experienced players. If for some reason they have changed the system in that way, then these wildly unbalanced matches are going to be the norm.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • xWarbrain
    xWarbrain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MMR takes time to estamblish and will separate
    In addition to forcing solo queue only, they also reset each character's individual MMR. So everyone is getting lumped together for a while until the players that focus more and BGs start to separate themselves with earning a higher MMR.

Until that separation occurs, there is a lot of luck involved in team skill composition. The best thing you can do is try to communicate with your team to get them to stick together, tell the poor soul who has gone 1 and 8 to stop going off on his own.

Removing premades will ultimately result in higher quality matches, but not until there is more MMR differentiation.

I only hope that ZOS hasn't also modified the MMR system in such a way that causes significantly less skilled or experienced players to continue to be matched against far more skilled and experienced players. If for some reason they have changed the system in that way, then these wildly unbalanced matches are going to be the norm.

This is 100% accurate. We are all being grouped with and playing against players that are above or below our skill level until the MMR system catches up and people start "spreading out" skill level wise.

This is only day 3 for console. Since no one knows exactly how MMR is calculated, or how many people actually enter BGs, we can only guess at how long it'll take before the system knows who to put in a game with others with similar skill levels. I'm betting a month from now, if you're a good player and keep playing, you'll notice less general chaos in games because everyone around you is closer to your skill level.

And if you're not a very good player, new or just learning/casual, you won't have people beating you 510-90 anymore. In theory, it should make for much more competitive matches for skilled players, and fairer less one-sided matches for people just getting into it. But that is all assuming the MMR system uses the right data to separate players of different skill level.
    XB1 NA
    Your nerf suggestion is dumb. Learn to counter other players instead of having the game rebuilt to your ability level.
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it's certainly pretty fun right now. In general I would appreciate unranked mode, with group queue available, and ranked mode with solo only.

We all know in a match of all experienced BGs players, group comp is everything, and this solo queue might let us appreciate or understand that concept more. I still haven't figured out exactly which group comp is ideal for me. My DM scores were all over the place last night.

In objective modes, a few non-participants, which I saw relatively rarely in the old MMR. I would hope non-participation in objectives completion lowers your MMR.
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it's certainly pretty fun right now. In general I would appreciate unranked mode, with group queue available, and ranked mode with solo only.

We all know in a match of all experienced BGs players, group comp is everything, and this solo queue might let us appreciate or understand that concept more. I still haven't figured out exactly which group comp is ideal for me. My DM scores were all over the place last night.

In objective modes, a few non-participants, which I saw relatively rarely in the old MMR. I would hope non-participation in objectives completion lowers your MMR.

Why would ranked mode be solo? It definitely should be the other way because it is a TEAM BASED MODE. The ranked play should be promoting TEAM PLAY rather than solo. Solo should be unranked que for fun because it is all random..... A team can have 4 healers never able to get a kill a person's rank shouldn't be affected by something like that just saying.
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of good players are on late at night
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It’s just how BGs go. I think a lot of players are trying BGs now because of the change and they’re still figuring the game out.

You’ll get lots of different style players because it’s random, and there’s no guarantee people will even play the objectives.

Thing is IF there even is a MMR anymore, it’s based on the total of your score and I’m pretty sure it equalizes the MMR per team and not per player. Today I had a game with someone at the top of the leaderboards (so should be high MMR) on my 3rd BG with a fresh 50. I think the game tries to make sure each team has a high MMR person rather then it all be high MMR players. Most games have one person per team that goes like 20-2 I’ve noticed.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 13, 2020 2:02AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Thing is IF there even is a MMR anymore, it’s based on the total of your score and I’m pretty sure it equalizes the MMR per team and not per player. Today I had a game with someone at the top of the leaderboards (so should be high MMR) on my 3rd BG with a fresh 50. I think the game tries to make sure each team has a high MMR person rather then it all be high MMR players.

This is my fear. If the group finder balances teams based on total MMR, rather than grouping 12 players who all have similar MMRs, then it's always going to be a crapshoot. In fact, under such a system, players with high MMRs are more likely to be teamed with low MMR players to bring the team's total MMR closer to the mean. I hope we're not entering a phase where "good" players are more likely to be pulled down by "bad" teammates.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've said it before that premades were not the problem, it is "solo" players that think they are Rambo honestly. They want to wander off and it ruins the people that want to play together experience.
    The solution to the entire thing is easy to be honest. Release a ranked and unranked mode.

Ranked mode- promote team based play where you can que solo or in a group and face others where you earn rank (not mmr but an actual rank like 1-10 where you can go up or down depending on your performance). Add special exclusive prizes for winning x amount of matches getting a certain rank ECT and change up rewards every month to keep people interested.

Unranked- solo que where you just play bg to play. People can que there and have their "solo" only que but because it's solo only no bonus rewards as the actual whole BG game mode revolves around teamwork.

I have seen it in other games that people blame pre-mades on why a match is so one-sided when there is no reason to think the other team is a pre-made.
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The solution to tank meta is absolutely NOT to nerf any heavy sets, becuase those sets are a GOOD thing.

However giving medium armor and light armor a bit more armor penetration probably would not hurt, given that in PVE you're probably already capping on that, but in pvp it can mean the difference between killing the heavy armor guy, and not killing.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is IF there even is a MMR anymore, it’s based on the total of your score and I’m pretty sure it equalizes the MMR per team and not per player. Today I had a game with someone at the top of the leaderboards (so should be high MMR) on my 3rd BG with a fresh 50. I think the game tries to make sure each team has a high MMR person rather then it all be high MMR players.

This is my fear. If the group finder balances teams based on total MMR, rather than grouping 12 players who all have similar MMRs, then it's always going to be a crapshoot. In fact, under such a system, players with high MMRs are more likely to be teamed with low MMR players to bring the team's total MMR closer to the mean. I hope we're not entering a phase where "good" players are more likely to be pulled down by "bad" teammates.

I’m pretty sure that’s what’s happening, but it also depends on when you play. On PC-NA I don’t think there are enough people to always have all the best players together, and when it was more like that people complained about long queue times.

I’ve been exploring different classes and whatnot so don’t think my MMR is that high, but I’ll still recognize half the names per BG I’m in. Usually the names I don’t recognize struggle. Even then my queue time is 10 mins max, it seems shorter than before.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s always been something like that, that’s why it’s not uncommon for a good player to get put on a team with people they’re expected to carry.

Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • Commandment
    Commandment
    ✭✭✭

If you don't play mag nb don't comment on how op it is, it isnt unless you play multiple proc sets or go against potatos. Second sorc is good yes, and can carry a team if all other players don't build for pvp or have no clue as to what is going on. Ironically pre mmr reset premades were not a issue, the issue was a stale roster of the same people but the teams would swap between matches and every so often a premade shows up and ill just not que right after a game to avoid going against them. As of right now the queing seems radically off. If i could kill people left and right on my nb or sorc or dk or warden then why would i be here? Why are there so many threads complaining about long ques after the "reset"? Also if i just plain ol suck at pvp then does that mean i suck so damn hard that i cause my team and 1 of the opposing teams to be unable to scratch the 3rd team that functions as if it were a premade? I would honestly like them to revert back to the old MMR bg system because for some reason the que was longer but the quality of the games were better

Excuse me, but a class that can stealth, and go immune to any damage, and do these "Proc" damage is pretty deadly. You focus them, you waste your time. Stealth and heal+shield is the name of the game. Yes I played it, pretty easy.

You literally have a reset button any time you want.
  • Oathunbound
    Oathunbound
    ✭✭✭

Excuse me, but a class that can stealth, and go immune to any damage, and do these "Proc" damage is pretty deadly. You focus them, you waste your time. Stealth and heal+shield is the name of the game. Yes I played it, pretty easy.

You literally have a reset button any time you want.

You just proved my point thinking cloak is the ultimate skill when its not, you cant use it anytime for a free reset with the aoe heavy meta and ita currently broken with this patch. If you only played it in low mmr it is great, but as soon as you go against any competent opponents its far leas useful. Play magnb in high mmr and if you can do just as good now with zero proc sets and its now broken/gutted burst kit then maby ill belibe you, but if you "just played it" dom't act like your an expert now.

Edit: also if a class relies on proc sets to secure kills its the set doing the work not the class
    Edited by Oathunbound on March 13, 2020 7:49AM
  • Oathunbound
    Oathunbound
    ✭✭✭

It’s always been something like that, that’s why it’s not uncommon for a good player to get put on a team with people they’re expected to carry.

It might be far more prevelant now with the reset plus new players but at the high end it was just the same people just in diffrent teams. For the most part i rarely see the same people twice in multiple bg's but the same formula seems to be the same with one stacked team and 2 more random teams
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It might be far more prevelant now with the reset plus new players but at the high end it was just the same people just in diffrent teams. For the most part i rarely see the same people twice in multiple bg's but the same formula seems to be the same with one stacked team and 2 more random teams

The MMR system is acting very strange (I play PC) and might have to do with everyone being loww mmr after the reset. But depending on what character I use I see the same 10-15 people in 7/10 matches. If I then relog to a character that hasn't done a single BG this patch I'll still be paired vs the same "slightly higher mmr" players as I had on the previous character.

While it might have to do with the reset, something feels fishy ngl.......
  • Oathunbound
    Oathunbound
    ✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »

The MMR system is acting very strange (I play PC) and might have to do with everyone being loww mmr after the reset. But depending on what character I use I see the same 10-15 people in 7/10 matches. If I then relog to a character that hasn't done a single BG this patch I'll still be paired vs the same "slightly higher mmr" players as I had on the previous character.

Yea i feel as if its somehow mmr is account wide but i haven't run into the same people over and over tho, its just strange that when i swap to a toon that has never played a bg since the reset i get the same que time and same kind of matchups as if i were stll on my main.
    Edited by Oathunbound on March 13, 2020 9:01AM
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea i feel as if its somehow mmr is account wide but i haven't run into the same people over and over tho, its just strange that when i swap to a toon that has never played a bg since the reset i get the same que time and same kind of matchups as if i were stll on my main.

Account wide mmr would be nice. I switch between 5 characters in bgs, it would take a looooong time to get them all to higher mmrs.
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dazee wrote: »
    The solution to tank meta is absolutely NOT to nerf any heavy sets, becuase those sets are a GOOD thing.

However giving medium armor and light armor a bit more armor penetration probably would not hurt, given that in PVE you're probably already capping on that, but in pvp it can mean the difference between killing the heavy armor guy, and not killing.

but then u wouldnt be a tank anymore if ppl do more dmg on you. id say gut the selfheal. that would even be good in pve currently so that tanks cant do dungeons without healer anymore. this would also keep the identity of tanks supporting the team by blocking dmg against the healer and carry relics or chaosball. they would still be effective as tanks but not unkillable if they are without their team.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Could be yea, I’m seeing it too. Though if everyone’s playing multiple toons in BGs everyone’s MMR will be low on their characters.

Anyone else notice you get matched up against and with people of your class too? When I play a NB I see NBs everywhere, when I play a warden there are wardens everywhere.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Oathunbound
    Oathunbound
    ✭✭✭
    Noctus wrote: »
    dazee wrote: »

but then u wouldnt be a tank anymore if ppl do more dmg on you. id say gut the selfheal. that would even be good in pve currently so that tanks cant do dungeons without healer anymore. this would also keep the identity of tanks supporting the team by blocking dmg against the healer and carry relics or chaosball. they would still be effective as tanks but not unkillable if they are without their team.

honestly it should be either or for a good balance, you either build for big hp and defense so you can take a few hits while being full on offense, or have good self healing to be able to back off and re-engage , right now you can do both with little effort and it makes for stale game play.
  • Oathunbound
    Oathunbound
    ✭✭✭

Could be yea, I’m seeing it too. Though if everyone’s playing multiple toons in BGs everyone’s MMR will be low on their characters.

Anyone else notice you get matched up against and with people of your class too? When I play a NB I see NBs everywhere, when I play a warden there are wardens everywhere.

not on my NB but on my sorc it seems all teams have at least 2 sorcs on them
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

on which server are u playing. did u meet someone named heresyall or lord_noctus ? well heresyall doesnt even use the morph that makes u invisible that shows how much it sucks. the only ppl complaining are ppl with no experience who have no idea how to counter it. many regulars that i know even switched from their stamblade to templar or sorc.

idk how it looks in NA PC but EU PC high mmr him and me are the only regulars on magblade.

if u say a class is overly powerfull i suggest making a video to prove it. most ppl here on forum probably know the regulars on their server so its also easy to judge if u play high mmr.
  • james_738pub18_ESO
    james_738pub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭

could not agree more with this
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Noctus wrote: »

on which server are u playing. did u meet someone named heresyall or lord_noctus ? well heresyall doesnt even use the morph that makes u invisible that shows how much it sucks. the only ppl complaining are ppl with no experience who have no idea how to counter it. many regulars that i know even switched from their stamblade to templar or sorc.

idk how it looks in NA PC but EU PC high mmr him and me are the only regulars on magblade.

if u say a class is overly powerfull i suggest making a video to prove it. most ppl here on forum probably know the regulars on their server so its also easy to judge if u play high mmr.

On PC-NA I see some, but everyone who plays one plays other classes too so I don’t think any are high MMR. With all the MagNB threads I’m actually seeing more these days.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 13, 2020 4:44PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • kingsforged
    kingsforged
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is IF there even is a MMR anymore, it’s based on the total of your score and I’m pretty sure it equalizes the MMR per team and not per player. Today I had a game with someone at the top of the leaderboards (so should be high MMR) on my 3rd BG with a fresh 50. I think the game tries to make sure each team has a high MMR person rather then it all be high MMR players. Most games have one person per team that goes like 20-2 I’ve noticed.

This IS what's happening. It becomes blatantly obvious in Pre-50s. It tries to slap a top 100 player on each team, then shoves a bunch of total newbies on for the rest. It consistently comes down to which team got a top player and another well geared player or two that hasn't hit higher ranks yet, and who got lumped with the no-gear newbies.

• wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This IS what's happening. It becomes blatantly obvious in Pre-50s. It tries to slap a top 100 player on each team, then shoves a bunch of total newbies on for the rest. It consistently comes down to which team got a top player and another well geared player or two that hasn't hit higher ranks yet, and who got lumped with the no-gear newbies.
    You can't really judge much of anything from pre-50's BGs. Those have always been a cesspool of mediocre players that are able to do really well because they've wasted a lot of money golding out a lot of gear for their twink-character(s).

Someone who's barely "OK" at the game, but in full gold gear that's equal level to their character can easily 1vX good players that are just trying to get their daily done while wearing blue training gear that's now 20 levels below their character. Put those same people in reasonable CP-160 builds in max level BGs, and the former "godmode" guy from pre-50 BGs will get absolutely dominated. There are reasons that I virtually never recognize their @ names from the "real" bracket.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »

You can't really judge much of anything from pre-50's BGs. Those have always been a cesspool of mediocre players that are able to do really well because they've wasted a lot of money golding out a lot of gear for their twink-character(s).

Someone who's barely "OK" at the game, but in full gold gear that's equal level to their character can easily 1vX good players that are just trying to get their daily done while wearing blue training gear that's now 20 levels below their character. Put those same people in reasonable CP-160 builds in max level BGs, and the former "godmode" guy from pre-50 BGs will get absolutely dominated. There are reasons that I virtually never recognize their @ names from the "real" bracket.

Yea, I agree.

I’ve also noticed how the games play out also depends on the time of day. The quality of players drops like a rock in the evenings and weekends I’ve noticed.

During the day you can get good games, during the evening or weekends it’s rare to get a good game.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 15, 2020 7:38PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair