The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Tank/Healer legit hybrid...

Grianasteri
Grianasteri
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi, I theory crafted this build very quickly using the editor and thought it may be of interest to some...

I am not posting it because I think it is particularly good, rather it is because groups are increasingly running with 1 tank+3 dds, and upon searching for similar ideas on the forums and online, there really wasnt much by way of hybrid builds and those that there are out there, seemed to be pretty old. I have long thought of building a tank/healer, so here is a first stab at it.

Some things to note, off the top of my head: Templar was chosen because it has a strong healing skill line and because I do not currently have a Templar tank, no further thought than this went into class choice. Imperial was chosen for the max stats and to cover sustain via reduced costs, with further sustain provided via standing in Restoring Focus. Sets were chosen in part because I know I have them sitting around my house chests! But also cos they lend themselves to max stat pools required to both heal via magica and tank via health and stam. When Lord Warden procs, spell resist is around cap and phys resist is close to cap. The other thing to point out, is that the theory is to legitimately tank, but also provide support/heals largely via passive and synergy skills - so fire and forget. If the dds need heals, cleansed, shields, resources, I am providing synergies for them.

I cannot stress enough that there are literally LOADS of other ways one can build via variation to stats, mundas, sets, traits, enchants, skills etc. This is just what I came up with, real quick and I was pleasantly surprised by the results.

There are a number of flex slots which after game play would be reconsidered. Vigour for instance, chosen mainly to have a stam heal available, but ultimately this may prove overkill. There are also a number of different enchants or traits to consider, for instance I may increase some recovery where needed (monster set choice can also help here). Other skill choices as well, such as Energy Orbs will be reconsidered (currently Luninous Shards alone is fulfilling resource support).

So, there ya go, whadya thunk... give it an agree/awesome/insightful if you find something of interest, and/or comment below with any thoughts you may have :)

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=216719
Edited by Grianasteri on March 3, 2020 4:20PM
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    3 DPS tanks are always interesting. Cool ideas: here's some notes and I mocked up an edited version as food for thought trying not to change too much.
    • As a tank without a healer you don't need to worry about stam being higher than mag as much. With mag DD's you would get orbs, but mag return is good too on the build. I would probably drop the stam by a lot to maybe low 20s and putting build resources elsewhere.
    • Similarly, I would focus on stam or mag healing power rather than trying to push both. Eg, can you radiant regen or illustrious in place of Vigor. You can drop weapon damage and put that elsewhere too.
    • Combat prayer buffing actually does work real well on a tank because DDs actually stack for it ime relative to when healing. But can be a flex spot if there's warden or classes that already or easily can include camo hunter.
    • Shards: I'd definitely replace that with Healing Orb: more healing and less casts (resources) per synergy provided. Shards is more less a resource trasnfer from caster to synergizer. Orbs actually create resources out of thin air if more than one gets it.
    • For self and certainly if mag DD's I'd include Ele Drain. Could then run Ransack for protection without loosing anything. Can swap out Leash for it on bosses. Also may really need Inner Fire on there a lot. Half of stam and all mags don't need Major Fracture so you could drop puncture altogether in some cases.
    • I'm not a fan of the sets, but I get the desire to pump stats. Maybe swap Ebon for Twice born as that amount of stam isn't really needed.
    • For the weapon bar set, it would be really nice to get in an arena weapon. Olorime would be my choice either as staff with MA or DSA 1h&sShld or Olorime front bar with Master Resto or BRP resto backbar. Ebon+Olo is a lot of juicy stats for self not counting group even.
    • With all the healing, I'd definitely use 1 or 2 light pieces: 6/1 light, 5/2 light, or 5-1-1
    • Just note that your block cost is over 1100. That'll feel a lot different than a traditional tank.
    • Red CP: I'd assume LW proc as it's up 95%+. So, the build is well over caps. I flipped CP around to go from 83% to 88% mitigation eg on direct physical. It's still over cap standing in Rune. Could go Thurvukon and heroric slash instead possibly?
    • Blue CP as it looks like trying to do damage? I'd pump that into Blessed and Mag crit, then grab whichever one of the 120 perks you want in the other trees.
    • Green CP I'd pump more into block cost and mag recovery though you will be HA-ing a lot so tenacity could be pretty solid too. In most dungeons you are not breaking free or bashing all that much compared to blocking, dodging, HA-ing, and recovering mag.
    • weapon enchants. After using the tank I'd check how often you can actually keep crusher up. Double barring crusher might be useful.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=216802
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks interesting.

Did you tried building around dunmer instead? then you can drop TBS for yolnakrin. Comparable max resources(imperial+tbs=3200 health+3k mag+5k stam / dunmer+yolnakrin=2400 health+1.9k mag+4.9k stam), but you'll have extra 258(+129 to group) SD / WD to boost those heals. Though you won't have major brutality/sorcery so benefits of higher SD/WD will be not so big... this can be solved on DK, but DK won't have ritual and imo ritual is most powerful part of such build. Or - powerful assault instead of youlnakrin - it works great with vigor and can be used on one bar, so you can use asulum resto... or change combat prayer for springs and master's resto.

I like your idea, though this build should be used with pre-made group of course... (maybe take 1 magDK dps and make him use molten armaments to increase your healing as well as allow all group to run on trash pots).

With pugs I think they will go crazy if pug healer is not 100% fake.
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i did all my vet dungeons and dsa on a pve healbot. it was a lizard warden dressed in troll king+ plague doctor+ fortified brass. i think warden is much better suited for this purpose. lizards are easier to sustain and they do more healing
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Grianasteri I'd have to agree with @oxygen_thief that really Warden makes potentially the strongest case for this kind of goal. It's also the tank I take for 3 DPS into tough things in which we're on the fence about taking a healer.

A big part of Warden is that many of the defensive and healing they provide are not dependent on Max mag/stam or weap/spell damage. Thus, you can provide a lot of group survivability without giving up much of any tankiness. Fetcher gives them some nice offensive utility now too.

No reason why you can't do it on another class for the unique challenge, but it will likely miss some elements...like a polar wind crit heal on a DD ally :)
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some interesting responses, thank you!

@thadjarvis and others suggesting Warden class... I already have a fully developed Warden tank who is great fun and end game ready, I also have a Warden healer. So with that said when it comes to making a new character that will be tanking/healing, its unlikely I will choose Warden. But I am going to play around with theory crafting so you never know, I am open to experimenting :)

Thank you also for your detailed response, which has some interesting observations... in no particular order...

-Vigrour may well be dropped, as I mentioned its flex, I am unsure of its need and may drop it out :)
    -Shards was chosen to deal a little damage, with Orbs to be considered after game play. But yes, the multiple uses and healing power of Orbs makes it powerful (Id just miss my shards... cant be a Templar without shards can you? lol)
    -Im not sure what else I can do re block cost, Im in heavy armour with mostly Sturdy trait...
    -The build is using a 511, 5 heavy, 1 med, 1 light, for the resource benefits via passives etc.
    -I dont tend to run Inner rage on my tanks, unless going into content I know its going to be really needed (Lord Warden etc).

@MartiniDaniels Yes I did consider Dark elf and did some playing around with it in the editor. Ultimately I was concerned about the resource regen and although I love the idea of the extra weapon damage, I felt like tanking needed to be the priority so the Imperial go picked. I also considered Nord.

Love to hear more folks thoughts and own experiences regarding hybrids, tonking, healing, 1 tank 3 dd set ups etc...

Edited by Grianasteri on March 5, 2020 10:08AM
  • Icy_Waffles
    Icy_Waffles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy running my necro tank with 3 DD’s. Argonian with stonekeeper for amazing sustain,Cyrodiil’s crest for amazing survival, battalion defender, a few healing skills including resurrect for healing the DD’s. Very effective and fun!
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I did consider Dark elf and did some playing around with it in the editor. Ultimately I was concerned about the resource regen and although I love the idea of the extra weapon damage, I felt like tanking needed to be the priority so the Imperial go picked. I also considered Nord.

Love to hear more folks thoughts and own experiences regarding hybrids, tonking, healing, 1 tank 3 dd set ups etc...

As I showed in my calculations, health will be only 1k lower and magicka 1k lower but with extra 258 base SD/WD. Even without brutality buffs, templar will have naturally +10% SD and +6%+5% WD on S&B bar.

Though It's mostly not about race, but about TBS. TBS is good only when all divines are used and if you need to push 2 stats at expense of another stats. On tank you obviously want Sturdy traits so TBS will be not as effective as you might think. I tried TBS many times while testing builds on PTS and if you don't use 6-7 divines it is simply weaker then just using regular set+1 mundus. Also TBS doesn't grant any group utility.... I played both with powerful assault and youlnakrin a lot and both sets are awesome. Given that you plan to spam echoing vigor anyway, PA looks like natural choice. Olorime is another nice option I guess and that extra magicka recovery will be handy to keep those heals up in long fights...
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like sorc as tank for 3 dd runs, power surge, altar, heal orbs. Symphony as monster+ any 2 sets u feel like putting on. Altar and power surge heals together like a beast, and needs to be reapplied only every half a minute, orbs and symphony for resources. Dds love my tank <3
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've tanked on Templar, and what I've noticed that Ritual of Retribution (or Extended) scales on your highest stats. So it's more advantageous to go for max stamina and let it scale on that stat. Maximum Magicka is not that useful, since you don't need to spam magicka skills. Orb and Shard do almost the same thing for your group members, so there's no reason to run both. Instead of either you can run Repentance. It's quite good for the burst heal, and also the stamina return allows you to spam Silver Leash in trash packs. Deep Slash is not that useful for PvE, since Minor Heroism is quite an important buff for tanking, especially when you're solo tanking and there's only one Aggressive Horn in the group. Another important debuff that's missing is Power of the Light - while 1.3K may not seem much, it still increases the group DPS. As for gear, besides Lord Warden, which is quite good if the DDs can stack on you, the rest is kinda useless for tanking. On an Imperial if you use some popular tanking sets, like Ebon+Torug's and go full stamina, you'll have 35K+ HP, and still provide the necessary buffs and debuffs for group. For hard hitting trash you can swap Lord Warden's for Thuvorkun - AoE Minor Maim is stronger than the resistance buff, and applies to the mob you hit - or Earthgore if you want burst heals on the group.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did it with a Warden; Leeching Vines, Lotus Flower, and Trees. Bloodspawn + Potentates will give you your Trees insanely quickly, the other two heals you're putting out combined with Minor Toughness are meant to keep you ahead of the game. BRP 1H/S is very nice for rounding up adds; charge, LA, taunt, pivot and repeat.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I agree, Templar is one of the worst classes for tanking - and I've tanked on every class - so Warden would be a much better 2 in 1 option for Tanking & Healing: AoE Major Resolve, Minor Toughness, Minor Vulnerability on target, really good sustain, AoE heals, very cheap burst AoE heal. Minor protection for himself so you can run Pierce Armor instead of Ransack, really good sustain overall - Templar kinda sucks if you have to move and you don't have stuff to repent.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Dutchessx
    Dutchessx
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been a tank healer in pvp and some in pve for the past several years. Actually 5 years in pvp and on and off in pve. Normally people prefer either a warden or a dk to fill the role of a tank in pve. Combining a tank and a healer, while possible in some instances, I think has you move into more difficult content will not be optimal for a group. You would have to split your focus up to much. As far as pvp goes your heath is too high and your mag pool and regen are too low. As a healer in general for pvp or pve your magicka pool is too low along with your magicka regeneration. I would suggest increasing them some. I apologize I didn’t take a look at your resistances goes. Good luck but I am sure you will figure out a build you are happy with.
    Former Guild Leader Darkest Requiem
    Dutchessx - Sorcerer - EP NA
    Dütchess - Templar - DC NA
    Dutchess of Lost Souls - DC NA
    The Dark Dutchess- Sorcerer - DC NA
    Ðutchess - Templar - DC NA
    Always beware the sound of hooves in the night
    Remember Haderus
    Remember Azura's Star
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps I should clarify, the premise for the build is for use in PVE, in Veteran 4 man content, along with 3 dps.

The idea is, its not a pure tank and its not a pure healer, its both, so it is not going to be optimised for either, that is the compromise.

I can see that a Warden would make an excellent tank/healer hybrid, however as I mentioned I already have a Warden tank and a Warden healer, I actually also have Magden dps and a Stamden dps... sooo, not really up for making a new Warden any time soon. I have a Templar healer and a Magplar dps, so in comparison I feel I have plenty of capacity to add a further Templar to my ever expanding fellowship. If this were not the case, its likely I would have chosen Warden for the concept.

Im also not really concerned with what is meta, especially for a hybrid build.

Thanks for everyones contributions, keep em coming!
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a great Healer/Tank hybrid character I've been playing for a while. I've Solo tanked/healed in most vet dungeons allowing my group to run 3 DPS, and I recently tweaked my setup so that we weren't losing the Olorime/SPC major courage buff.

My build is as follows:

Argonian Templar
    Stats: 40 health, 24 Magika, No Stam

Sets: Earthgore, Shacklebreaker body Pieces, and SPC weapons/Jewelry (working on getting Olorime, but Resto Staff won't drop). For some setups, I'll use Allesia's Bulwark sword and shield for better defense. And I may run Bogdan, Bloodspawn, Troll King, or Bloodspawn on helm depending on the situation.

Other sets I use often on the character are Kragenac's Hope body pieces and Lich jewelry/resto back bar.

With Shacklebreaker, I sit about 32K Magika, 33.5K Health, and 18.5K stam with 28K for both resists.

Sustain is a little tricky sometimes, but I've played a healer enough to know how to sustain the mag portion, and being an argonian means that I'm just one Tri-Pot away from fixing any sustain "oopsies" anyways.

Earlier this week I took this character as a second healer/ad puller in a NSS< and then took the same character into another NSS the following night and main-tanked the trial without issues. It's definitely a legitimate hybrid setup, but it does take some time to L2P.
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not a huge fan of Templar tank, I run Warden on my healtank, but since you've choosen Templar I'm not gonna comment more on that :)

For sets I use Ebon and Olorime for group buffs, and heal with altar and the occasional budding seeds for Olorime proc. Combat Prayer might be used there instead (it triggers olorime right?) but then I'm not a huge fan on resto on my healer, I prefer frost or lightning staff. I wouldn't run your sets since it doesn't benefit the group at all set wise, like Ebon, Olorime or Yolnakriin would do.
    EU PC
  • Kahnak
    Kahnak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vildebill wrote: »
    I'm not a huge fan of Templar tank, I run Warden on my healtank, but since you've choosen Templar I'm not gonna comment more on that :)

For sets I use Ebon and Olorime for group buffs, and heal with altar and the occasional budding seeds for Olorime proc. Combat Prayer might be used there instead (it triggers olorime right?) but then I'm not a huge fan on resto on my healer, I prefer frost or lightning staff. I wouldn't run your sets since it doesn't benefit the group at all set wise, like Ebon, Olorime or Yolnakriin would do.

Combat Prayer does not trigger Olorime.
    Tombstone Reads: "Forgot to get good"
  • Kahnak
    Kahnak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can appreciate creativity here, but there is something to be said for asking too much of a build. At some point, the individual tanking with this build is going to be spread a little thin trying to do too many things at once. A Warden tank fills this role pretty well already, to be honest, and they don't generally have to slot anything other than Healing Thicket and maybe Budding Seeds. If you're not healing, I honestly wouldn't bother with Combat Prayer. It would be easier to simply have the DD's wear Slimecraw if they were that concerned about their Minor Berserk uptime. In practice, without anyone else to supply the tank with resources, you are going to have a very difficult time applying buffs, tanking, crowd controlling, healing and supplying resources to the group all at the same. The damage strong DD's can provide is going to be overwhelming in almost every vet dungeon, to the point where buff uptimes matter very little, and all that matters at that point will be a little healing and tanking the boss. At the end of the day, do what you want to do, it just seems that this may have a little too much going on.
    Tombstone Reads: "Forgot to get good"
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kahnak wrote: »
    I can appreciate creativity here, but there is something to be said for asking too much of a build. At some point, the individual tanking with this build is going to be spread a little thin trying to do too many things at once. A Warden tank fills this role pretty well already, to be honest, and they don't generally have to slot anything other than Healing Thicket and maybe Budding Seeds. If you're not healing, I honestly wouldn't bother with Combat Prayer. It would be easier to simply have the DD's wear Slimecraw if they were that concerned about their Minor Berserk uptime. In practice, without anyone else to supply the tank with resources, you are going to have a very difficult time applying buffs, tanking, crowd controlling, healing and supplying resources to the group all at the same. The damage strong DD's can provide is going to be overwhelming in almost every vet dungeon, to the point where buff uptimes matter very little, and all that matters at that point will be a little healing and tanking the boss. At the end of the day, do what you want to do, it just seems that this may have a little too much going on.

I disagree with what you are saying. When tanking dungeons you often have a lot of time to do different stuff if you know the mechanics. A tank that just taunt and stand there, not doing much else, isn't really contributing much.

By just wearing Ebon + Olorime and using Budding Seeds plus altar on a Warden tank you increase the healing, survivability and buffs a lot, and that's not that much of a work to do, nor does it cost a lot of resources since altar has a long duration, and so does Olorime. Throwing out some orbs now and then won't take that much time either (and often some DD already uses it).

These are just examples of how you can be very effective as a combined tank/healer in dungeons. There are multiple sets you can use that gives resources, support or healing and still be a good tank.
    EU PC
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dutchessx wrote: »
    I’ve been a tank healer in pvp and some in pve for the past several years. Actually 5 years in pvp and on and off in pve. Normally people prefer either a warden or a dk to fill the role of a tank in pve. Combining a tank and a healer, while possible in some instances, I think has you move into more difficult content will not be optimal for a group. You would have to split your focus up to much. As far as pvp goes your heath is too high and your mag pool and regen are too low. As a healer in general for pvp or pve your magicka pool is too low along with your magicka regeneration. I would suggest increasing them some. I apologize I didn’t take a look at your resistances goes. Good luck but I am sure you will figure out a build you are happy with.
    @Dutchessx can you share a build for a nocp pvp tank healer warden or templar? i would like to try it
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dutchessx wrote: »
    @Dutchessx can you share a build for a nocp pvp tank healer warden or templar? i would like to try it

You can just use healer sets, put Bloodspawn, be a Breton and backbar 1H+S, optionally Potentates 2/3. 30K+ spell resistance even in light armor, no need to go heavy :)

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragon knight and warden are great. I haven't tried magcro but the kit seems great for it.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I enjoy running my necro tank with 3 DD’s. Argonian with stonekeeper for amazing sustain,Cyrodiil’s crest for amazing survival, battalion defender, a few healing skills including resurrect for healing the DD’s. Very effective and fun!

Ironically the same exact things that makes a troll tank build in PvP but the forums keep quiet about...
    Edited by Kadoin on March 8, 2020 2:00PM
  • caperb
    caperb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An interesting choice of sets. Why not use SPC or Olorime together with Dragonguard? It buffs the group damage a lot and you can cast Warhorn quite a lot, because you are the healer now (Don't use Yolnahkriin when you have no healer, even don't use it when the healer doesn't have SPC/Olorime). Personally I prefer SPC because it is easy to proc with blood altar, but Olirome is viable on Templars (my hybrid is a DK).

Another option can be Battalion Defender + sanctuary + earthgore/TK if you want to go for the heals. You need to put all your points into block cost reduction and healing done, but when done well you can permanently block and heal the weakest group member for over 6k each second. Because the heal circle is pretty small this build best fits arena' s, and you also need a magicka chain for it, so it is actually a DK exclusive (chain a lot, use Orzorga's Red Frothgar)

The strong part about your build is the sustain it offers to the group members. The shards and ritual are the things I miss most on my DK hybrid. Also, Templars have a source of magickasteal for the group, which can be a big bonus depending on your group.

Also interesting how you stack you resources that high. Most of my tank builds don't have more than 20k magicka or stamina, but a lot of sustain. Do you ever run out of resources during a fight?

How does combat prayer work? I usually use a lightning staff backbar for the off balance procs and an easy way to apply a big crusher enchantment, but often there is a DD who also has a lightning staff. Combat prayer might be better in this situation and heal staff can be a good sustain tool.
  • caperb
    caperb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »

Ironically the same exact things that makes a troll tank build in PvP but the forums keep quiet about...

Sssht, don't tell too much people it exists xD
  • LegendaryOaks
    LegendaryOaks
    ✭✭✭
    I have a templar built exactly for healing/tanking/buffing i posted here a month ago, it works very well and it fits the paladin aesthetic very well, im proud of it myself.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/512418/the-oath-of-compassion-paladin-tank-templar-healing-tanking#latest
    Full Time Shitposter
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a templar built exactly for healing/tanking/buffing i posted here a month ago, it works very well and it fits the paladin aesthetic very well, im proud of it myself.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/512418/the-oath-of-compassion-paladin-tank-templar-healing-tanking#latest

It works very well it's a relative statement. Which veteran DLC dungeons have you tanked with it? Also if you lack a CC and you're magicka based, Time Freeze is the way to go. In some fights it's almost mandatory, for example Vykosa HM for the WW adds to keep them in the center so the DDs don't end up damaging the boss and sending her to the next phase.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome, nice to see others having some similar thoughts. That really was also part of my thinking, a paladin, exemplar of the light and defender of all that is good... as a tank and healer. That and the fact I already have 4 Wardens lol.

It just goes to show that when you abandon the meta, there are a variety of ways to achieve similar outcomes. As I said, there are LOADS of ways we can build such a tank/healer hybrid.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »

It works very well it's a relative statement. Which veteran DLC dungeons have you tanked with it? Also if you lack a CC and you're magicka based, Time Freeze is the way to go. In some fights it's almost mandatory, for example Vykosa HM for the WW adds to keep them in the center so the DDs don't end up damaging the boss and sending her to the next phase.

I do not think that specific content, requiring specific skills to complete, are particularly relevant for an off meta hybrid build.

An off meta hyrbid isnt designed or intended to be able to fulfil all the roles a dedicated meta build is. Thats the whole point.

Increasingly undertaking vet content, including DLC, with 1 tank 3 dd set ups... the idea for me was to make a new tank that was also able to provide more healing. & It was also just a first stab at it really, just thinking out loud theory crafting, put on the forum because I cant really see many examples of similar builds at all.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I do not think that specific content, requiring specific skills to complete, are particularly relevant for an off meta hybrid build.

An off meta hyrbid isnt designed or intended to be able to fulfil all the roles a dedicated meta build is. Thats the whole point.

Increasingly undertaking vet content, including DLC, with 1 tank 3 dd set ups... the idea for me was to make a new tank that was also able to provide more healing. & It was also just a first stab at it really, just thinking out loud theory crafting, put on the forum because I cant really see many examples of similar builds at all.

Well I've tanked almost all veteran DLC dungeons on Templar - except the last 2 dungeon packs, since there weren't out back then - without healer, but I went full stamina - it was really a DD with tank gear - and without healer support - I was normally doing 50-60% of group heals just from just Extended Ritual and Repentance, applying 10.3K resistance debuffs ( Major/Minor Fracture/Breach & Torug's Infused crusher enchant) and surviving on my own, with those HoTs and also Resolving Vigor on my own when I got heavy hits - ex. the ceiling collapse & heavy attack from Earthgore amalgam on vBF HM. Gear was Torug's+Ebon+Earthgore.

The build is pretty much this, but with some flex spots on the back bar:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=218414

For example I drop Repentance & Silver Leash if there aren't any adds, and put other skills such as Overflowing Altar, Inner Rage or even Elemental Drain. If I don't need the heals from Resolving Vigor but I need other resources I slot Deep Thoughts instead, so it's adapted to most situations. I didn't go for resto back bar since the heals are weak, and the tank is in a pretty bad spot to apply Combat Prayer in most fights, so I rely on the DDs to wear Slimecraw.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • LegendaryOaks
    LegendaryOaks
    ✭✭✭

CC is only NEEDED in a few fights in a few fights and like you said, we have time stop and turn evil for these situations. Most of the time however you can inner fire/pierce armor only the elite mobs and your healing plus the healers healing will be more than enough for an average damage dealer to handle them provide they stand still. We can always swap skills out for others when we need them.
    Full Time Shitposter