The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

delibaretly helping a enemy alliance in cyrodill shoould beb a reportable offense.

• Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The report function should be reworked aswell. An option to select players in the chat or guild directly to report would make it much easier, and prevent false reports due to typos.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xWarbrain wrote: »
    Soul_Demon wrote: »
    Royaji wrote: »
    This would totally never happen if ZOS forced everybody to only play on one alliance.

Even proponents of the faction locked campaigns understood that some players are always going to be trolls. Its human nature. You can increase the consequences of trolling i.e. you are stuck with the alliance you just annoyed for the rest of the campaign, but you can't eradicate it.

I'm not sure how faction lock increases the consequences though. This kind of player does not care about the alliance they are on anyway. And you can find potatoes to 1vX and empty resource towers to farm in on any side.

To me it seems like faction lock only promotes trolling out of spite.

Well, for that to work it would need to be true faction lock with the old way of doing things. IE cost to change and change only at the end of the camp. No housing ANY other alliance on that server after you have homed it, nor can you guest with enemy faction on that server. Players get to know rather quickly who the trolls are and ostracize them from the faction. If they only swap over next camp....players over on whatever the new faction is get to be trolled and deal with the toxicity until they are tired of it...the player moves again. This goes on forever for the truly damaged who do this often. For others, its just too much moving around for them so they tend to dial it down some as to not be 'known' for the behaviors.

The player that gave the other team the hammer obviously isn't worried about being ostracized by other players. Faction lock, no matter how long it lasts, is not effective against people trolling on the internet, which is what that player was doing.

There are more people that want to play on multiple factions for the sake of playing on multiple factions than there are people that want to play on multiple factions for the sake of spying or screwing over their alliance.

Instead, what we have seen is that a number of players who used to troll have decided to stick with their most favored faction. This means fewer people faction hopping to troll for a few hours. It also means that some players who used to troll or be jerks to their chosen faction now have to consider whether or not they want to deal with the reputation they gain based on their behavior. YMMV, of course, but I've seen a lot less objectionable behavior and zone chat from certain players I still recognize as Alliance regulars who used to be a lot more jerkish about it before the faction lock. So faction lock is effective against some forms of trolling and anti-alliance behavior, certainly more so than the unlocked campaigns ever were. Its just not effective against every single troll ever, which is a pretty absurd standard.

There is just confirmation bias. When the old faction hopper is suddenly a good solider, it'e because they are coerced? No, our behavior has not changed one bit. We were never the source of the plague of problems that the faction-block advocates claimed to be; they portrayed as such that every night we had nothing better to do than steal scrolls, steal people's siege, or do other nonsense that quite frankly requires more effort than it's worth. And, of course, it was just the faction loyalists who were the poor victims, as if someone who only plays on one faction wouldn't ever do a jerky thing like throw a scroll in Lava just to see a bunch of fools try and get it. I've played this game for 6 years, have multiple 5 star characters, and I've only got an elder Scroll one time. Once! And yet I as a filthy faction hopper am supposed to plan out my ESO experience to hand off a scroll to my AD buddies? LOL. If I have not done that since faction locks were implemented, it's because I never did that in the first place.

No, sorry, faction lock players don;t get to claim victory here because it's completely anecdotal and their perspective is entirely warped: they made it out that every single hour the small percentage of multi-faction players were handing over scrolls, flipping a pop locked map, etc., as if it were even possible for us to do such things.
    Edited by Joy_Division on March 6, 2020 3:15PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xWarbrain wrote: »
    Royaji wrote: »
    This would totally never happen if ZOS forced everybody to only play on one alliance.

Even proponents of the faction locked campaigns understood that some players are always going to be trolls. Its human nature. You can increase the consequences of trolling i.e. you are stuck with the alliance you just annoyed for the rest of the campaign, but you can't eradicate it.

I'm not sure how faction lock increases the consequences though. This kind of player does not care about the alliance they are on anyway. And you can find potatoes to 1vX and empty resource towers to farm in on any side.

To me it seems like faction lock only promotes trolling out of spite.

Well, for that to work it would need to be true faction lock with the old way of doing things. IE cost to change and change only at the end of the camp. No housing ANY other alliance on that server after you have homed it, nor can you guest with enemy faction on that server. Players get to know rather quickly who the trolls are and ostracize them from the faction. If they only swap over next camp....players over on whatever the new faction is get to be trolled and deal with the toxicity until they are tired of it...the player moves again. This goes on forever for the truly damaged who do this often. For others, its just too much moving around for them so they tend to dial it down some as to not be 'known' for the behaviors.

The player that gave the other team the hammer obviously isn't worried about being ostracized by other players. Faction lock, no matter how long it lasts, is not effective against people trolling on the internet, which is what that player was doing.

There are more people that want to play on multiple factions for the sake of playing on multiple factions than there are people that want to play on multiple factions for the sake of spying or screwing over their alliance.

Instead, what we have seen is that a number of players who used to troll have decided to stick with their most favored faction. This means fewer people faction hopping to troll for a few hours. It also means that some players who used to troll or be jerks to their chosen faction now have to consider whether or not they want to deal with the reputation they gain based on their behavior. YMMV, of course, but I've seen a lot less objectionable behavior and zone chat from certain players I still recognize as Alliance regulars who used to be a lot more jerkish about it before the faction lock. So faction lock is effective against some forms of trolling and anti-alliance behavior, certainly more so than the unlocked campaigns ever were. Its just not effective against every single troll ever, which is a pretty absurd standard.

There is just confirmation bias. When the old faction hopper is suddenly a good solider, it'e because they are coerced? No, our behavior has not changed one bit. We were never the source of the plague of problems that the faction-block advocates claimed to be; they portrayed as such that every night we had nothing better to do than steal scrolls, steal people's siege, or do other nonsense that quite frankly requires more effort than it's worth. And, of course, it was just the faction loyalists who were the poor victims, as if someone who only plays on one faction wouldn't ever do a jerky thing like throw a scroll in Lava just to see a bunch of fools try and get it. I've played this game for 6 years, have multiple 5 star characters, and I've only got an elder Scroll one time. Once! And yet I as a filthy faction hopper am supposed to plan out my ESO experience to hand off a scroll to my AD buddies? LOL. If I have not done that since faction locks were implemented, it's because I never did that in the first place.

No, sorry, faction lock players don;t get to claim victory here because it's completely anecdotal and their perspective is entirely warped: they made it out that every single hour the small percentage of multi-faction players were handing over scrolls, flipping a pop locked map, etc., as if it were even possible for us to do such things.

Its entirely possible its confirmation bias. I'm only human, and its not exactly like I can read minds or speak to more than what I've seen. I do, however, try to be truthful in describing what I've noticed as I've done above. I expect you've done the same.

Nor was I particularly in favor of ZOS reinstituting the faction lock after so long of there not being one. I enjoy playing on the faction locked campaign because I always played faction loyal. I get to enjoy the benefits with very few of the drawbacks. I also fully acknowledge that there are lots of players who didn't and they correctly point out the drawbacks it caused for them.

Edited: I'm getting this thread mixed up with a different thread entirely over a similar subject. Sorry!
    Now that I've got the correct thread in mind...even as someone who enjoys the benefits of faction lock, I never expected it to eliminate all forms of trolling. That's just not how human nature works.

My best case scenario, to be frank, is for ZOS to fix the performance issues so we can fill both the alliance locked and unlocked CP campaigns. But that feels more pie in the sky with every passing year.
    Edited by VaranisArano on March 6, 2020 4:19PM
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that's what they choose to do, and it is inside the rules of the game, they can do it.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wolfbone wrote: »
    if the person is found guilty, they get a reduction on ap they recieve and maybe siege merchantss refuse to sell to them, and call them a traitor. and on their 3rd offense, npcs evenfrom their alliance will attack them and call them a traitor.

I absolutely love this idea...hell yeah man, there should be a council, quick review of the circumstances - then your own npcs attack and kill you for awhile, as punishment...
    Edited by geonsocal on March 8, 2020 7:22AM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    when I reported a "dc' player for taking enemy scroll from glade and gave it to a red group waiting near by,many ppl of his group and his leader reported me
    no actions were taken for both
    don't waste your time
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you see something like that happen in the future, grab his username and report it on your alliance’s PvP Discord. That player won’t be finding a PvP guild willing to accept him for a long time.

Great idea. I'm also gonna do that to people I just don't like.
  • Carespanker
    Carespanker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    If you see something like that happen in the future, grab his username and report it on your alliance’s PvP Discord. That player won’t be finding a PvP guild willing to accept him for a long time.

Its not a hate group lol. People need a lot more than people's words before we put them on the blacklist. Besides, if we banned everyone we didn't like the discords would be pretty empty. It's innocent until proven guilty and it always will be.
  • Crown
    Crown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its expressly against the TOS to troll

@Soul_Demon What section of the TOS clearly states that trolling is not allowed?

Crown | AD NB | First AD/NA Grand Overlord (2015/12/26)
    PvP Guides @ DarkElves.com
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will find this in section 8
    Harass, stalk, threaten, embarrass, spam or do anything else to another user of any Services that is unwanted, such as repeatedly sending unwanted messages or making personal attacks or statements about race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc.;
    Engage in disruptive behavior in chat areas

troll
    [ trohl ]
    verb (used with object)
    to sing or utter in a full, rolling voice.
    to sing in the manner of a round or catch.
    verb (used without object)
    to sing with a full, rolling voice; give forth full, rolling tones.
    to be uttered or sounded in such tones.
    noun
    a song whose parts are sung in succession; a round.
    the act of trolling.
    a lure used in trolling for fish.
    the fishing line containing the lure and hook for use in trolling.
    Digital Technology. Informal. a person who posts inflammatory or inappropriate messages or comments online for the purpose of upsetting other users and provoking a response.

Edited by Soul_Demon on March 9, 2020 9:43PM
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »

Right? That right there would 100% stop the trolling entirely.

... If trolls actually cared about PvP guilds. :#
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Harass, stalk, threaten, embarrass, spam or do anything else to another user of any Services that is unwanted, such as repeatedly sending unwanted messages or making personal attacks or statements about race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc.;

troll
    [ trohl ]
    verb (used with object)
    noun
    the act of trolling.
    Digital Technology. Informal. a person who posts inflammatory or inappropriate messages or comments online for the purpose of upsetting other users and provoking a response.

Apples and oranges. Talking about grasping for straws. You are equating insulting and harassing people with trolling like stealing a scroll.
  • heng14rwb17_ESO
    heng14rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    TROLLS MUST DIE !
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    manny254 wrote: »
    You realize the entire point of a three Alliance system is for the two losing Alliances to help each other until the power shifts?

You do realise that there is a difference when 2 opposing factions team up to beat the hell out of you and when someone from your own faction gives your hard earned scroll or hammer to your enemies AND YOU CANT DO ANYTHING to stop him. With opposing factions you can fight, but what to do with a traitor?
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    Too hard to prove. Also it's simulated war so this type of stuff may be frowned on by the community but it's within the scope and rules of the game

It's not hard to prove, if they openly declare that they are going do do/did it. Seen several various examples of people openly admitting they are doing things like these, with a "hah, report me all you want - ZOS doesn't care! LOL".
  • wazzz56
    wazzz56
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of y'all take this way too seriously...relax, have fun, laugh at the trolls.....in the end it's just pixels
    GM Tig Ole Critties ps5 NA small scale PvP guild

"After a hard week of farming, or a long night of being nagged by your wife, there is nothing better than going out for a bit of a fish."
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pieratsos wrote: »

troll
    [ trohl ]
    verb (used with object)
    noun
    the act of trolling.

Apples and oranges. Talking about grasping for straws. You are equating insulting and harassing people with trolling like stealing a scroll.

Its not apples and oranges- Its exactly the quotes from TOS- its explicitly stating what the trolls do as against policy and the definition was provided so there should be no problem understanding it. I never mentioned the scroll or anything of the kind in my post as it was a response to a question asked....

Edited by Soul_Demon on March 10, 2020 1:27PM
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

troll
    [ trohl ]
    verb (used with object)
    noun
    the act of trolling.

Its not apples and oranges- Its exactly the quotes from TOS- its explicitly stating what the trolls do as against policy and the definition was provided so there should be no problem understanding it. I never mentioned the scroll or anything of the kind in my post as it was a response to a question asked....

It's absolutely apples and oranges and the definition of a strawman argument. The term troll is very broad to what it means. The question asked was about trolling in terms of faction hopping, scroll trolling and stuff like that. That is the topic of the thread you know. You took the term troll, spin it ur way to make an argument that was never raised in the first place. Hence a strawman argument.

Insulting and harassing people is against the rules. You discovered the wheel. How is this related with the topic of faction hoppers or trolling with the scroll.
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let them have the hammer. He's leading you to the exact location you can have a bunch of AP.
    PvP needs more love.
  • Levianna
    Levianna
    ✭✭✭
    wolfbone wrote: »
    was in cyrdoill the other night, and volendrungg appeared, and the person who claimed the hammer then proceeded to announce in zone chat they where going to deliver it a yellow zerg, which they then proceeded to do. I think this kind of stuff should be a offense we can report and if the person is found guilty, they get a reduction on ap they recieve and maybe siege merchantss refuse to sell to them, and call them a traitor. and on their 3rd offense, npcs evenfrom their alliance will attack them and call them a traitor.

It can be annoying but its not really against the rules of this game.
    This game is about the war and you can see all these things happening in wars generally.
    What you can do, is to spread the info about it at zone chat and among the other players who might influence some guilds, so they know whom are they accepting to their guilds or groups if it comes to that.
    There's no Higher... not outside the man.
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings,

Recently we've had to remove several posts for baiting, content that is against the Community Rules. For further posts be sure to stay constructive and respectful to avoid thread derailment.

Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

troll
    [ trohl ]
    verb (used with object)
    noun
    the act of trolling.

It's absolutely apples and oranges and the definition of a strawman argument. The term troll is very broad to what it means. The question asked was about trolling in terms of faction hopping, scroll trolling and stuff like that. That is the topic of the thread you know. You took the term troll, spin it ur way to make an argument that was never raised in the first place. Hence a strawman argument.

Insulting and harassing people is against the rules. You discovered the wheel. How is this related with the topic of faction hoppers or trolling with the scroll.

The term has a definition, and it was provided to you.....you can keep claiming otherwise, but that wont change it. The topic of the thread only applies if I were not responding directly to a tagged question. Are you under supervision?
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

troll
    [ trohl ]
    verb (used with object)
    noun
    the act of trolling.

The term has a definition, and it was provided to you.....you can keep claiming otherwise, but that wont change it. The topic of the thread only applies if I were not responding directly to a tagged question. Are you under supervision?

Except the question you responded to wasn't about harassing and insulting people. Hence apples and oranges.

And yes like I said you discovered the wheel. Harassing and insulting people is a bannable offence. Has is this related with the thread or the post you responded to?
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

troll
    [ trohl ]
    verb (used with object)
    noun
    the act of trolling.

Except the question you responded to wasn't about harassing and insulting people. Hence apples and oranges.

And yes like I said you discovered the wheel. Harassing and insulting people is a bannable offence. Has is this related with the thread or the post you responded to?

I really cant help you understand what was asked and how the response was answering the question- 'trolling' is harassing and so is insulting (posts inflammatory or inappropriate messages or comments online for the purpose of upsetting other users and provoking a response) If you can not understand that......well there is little I can do about that. The question specified where is it against the TOS to troll players and it was provided to the originator. At this point it feels more like you are looking for someone to help you understand how those things are the same thing. I cant do that for you.
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

troll
    [ trohl ]
    verb (used with object)
    noun
    the act of trolling.

I really cant help you understand what was asked and how the response was answering the question- 'trolling' is harassing and so is insulting (posts inflammatory or inappropriate messages or comments online for the purpose of upsetting other users and provoking a response) If you can not understand that......well there is little I can do about that. The question specified where is it against the TOS to troll players and it was provided to the originator. At this point it feels more like you are looking for someone to help you understand how those things are the same thing. I cant do that for you.

Ah forget it, waste of time to talk to you. You sound like a broken record repeating the same nonsense over and over again
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You leave me with no choice but to deal with you in the same way I have learned to deal with others I no longer wish to engage with. I didn't want to do it..but you leave me no choice.

"new phone, who dis?"
  • sirston
    sirston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just because I want to make more AP by having a group im in with 2 scrolls and not turning them in is not going against the faction, Im an imperial EP but end of the day AP is AP and I don't care who I tread on even if its my own faction.
    Whitestakes Revenge
    WoodElf Mag-Warden
    Sirston
    Magickia Dragonknight

T0XIC
    Pride Of The Pact
    Vehemence
    The Crimson Order

victoria aut mors
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sirston wrote: »
    just because I want to make more AP by having a group im in with 2 scrolls and not turning them in is not going against the faction, Im an imperial EP but end of the day AP is AP and I don't care who I tread on even if its my own faction.

Your two statements seem to contradict each other - you make it clear that you know that not parking those scrolls in a home keep or temple is detrimental to your faction, you just don't care who you tread on.

Not that I expect to convince someone who explicitly doesn't care, but yeah, its detrimental.

If you/your group put in all the effort to get the scroll: capturing the keep, or in the case of enemy home scrolls, capturing two keeps, breaking into the gate, and grabbing the scroll from the temple, fine. I'm not going to complain if you go farm AP with a scroll you put all the effort into getting. (In my experience, that's fairly rare outside of a few PVP guilds who will actually capture scrolls completely on their own for farming purposes.)

If you instead piggy-backed off the effort of the other PVP guilds, groups, and players in your faction in order to grab the scroll, then yeah, its pretty selfish to take advantage of that group effort to go AP farm with no intent of parking that scroll so everyone else can get AP from the quest and benefit from the faction score. After all, everyone who's not in your farming group doesn't get any of that AP from the scroll they worked to get access to, since most scroll captures are a group effort from the faction.

Its detrimental to the campaign score - each scroll is worth 10 points.

Its also detrimental to what your faction can accomplish in the immediate future - which scrolls your faction has determines which enemy scrolls they can claim or which home scrolls they don't have to guard as heavily. Trolling or farming around with a home scroll in particular limits your alliance's options for scroll takes badly.

Now, you made it clear that you don't care. I can't make you care. But let's not deny that anytime players piggyback off the effort of their faction to get a scroll and then go troll or AP farm with it, they absolutely are working against their faction.
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just make it so you can execute people that are traitors or spies.
  • ellahellabella
    ellahellabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sirston wrote: »

Your two statements seem to contradict each other - you make it clear that you know that not parking those scrolls in a home keep or temple is detrimental to your faction, you just don't care who you tread on.

Not that I expect to convince someone who explicitly doesn't care, but yeah, its detrimental.

If you/your group put in all the effort to get the scroll: capturing the keep, or in the case of enemy home scrolls, capturing two keeps, breaking into the gate, and grabbing the scroll from the temple, fine. I'm not going to complain if you go farm AP with a scroll you put all the effort into getting. (In my experience, that's fairly rare outside of a few PVP guilds who will actually capture scrolls completely on their own for farming purposes.)

If you instead piggy-backed off the effort of the other PVP guilds, groups, and players in your faction in order to grab the scroll, then yeah, its pretty selfish to take advantage of that group effort to go AP farm with no intent of parking that scroll so everyone else can get AP from the quest and benefit from the faction score. After all, everyone who's not in your farming group doesn't get any of that AP from the scroll they worked to get access to, since most scroll captures are a group effort from the faction.

Its detrimental to the campaign score - each scroll is worth 10 points.

Its also detrimental to what your faction can accomplish in the immediate future - which scrolls your faction has determines which enemy scrolls they can claim or which home scrolls they don't have to guard as heavily. Trolling or farming around with a home scroll in particular limits your alliance's options for scroll takes badly.

Now, you made it clear that you don't care. I can't make you care. But let's not deny that anytime players piggyback off the effort of their faction to get a scroll and then go troll or AP farm with it, they absolutely are working against their faction.

If it's a home scroll, prolly dock it. Enemy scroll, they grabbed it, their rules. Seen plenty of trolls in my time playing. I just forget it and move on. People treat this game like their lives depend on it.
    Yolers gonna Yolo. Let them Yolo. They're clearly having more fun than you.

*edit* Heck, one of the biggest scroll trolls I know was an incredible player. He was the 2nd nightblade in NA to get GO. He just loved trolling scrolls.
    Edited by ellahellabella on March 15, 2020 5:46PM
    Try to read everything I write with an Australian accent

PC NA
    ZOMBIE DEATH MACHINE
    Vanguard
    Outcasts
    Full faction locks are only further dividing an already dwindling pvp community

Toons:
    Ebonheart Pact
    Sophis (M. Templar), Lilivah Rallenar (M. Sorcerer), Diakoptês (M. Dragonknight), Pins and Needles (M. Nightblade), Claws-your-Curtains (S. Sorcerer), Raan-Mir-Tah (M Warden), Hezik (S Warden)

Aldmeri Dominion
    Sophis-ticated (M. Templar), Tis not easy being Green (S. Dragonknight)

Daggerfall Covernant
    Sirius Delatora (M. Nightblade), Ellaberry (S. Templar), Ellabear (pve tank) Claìr De Lune (M. Sorc)