The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Would it be easier to farm PFG by killing Lokk and restarting than completing the whole trial?

naturebased
naturebased
✭✭✭
I want to earn PFG, I completed vSS first time today with no PFG drops, and realized it would easily be a long grind for the pieces I need. This run was with a guild, and admittedly they were fogiving when i had a few unreasonable deaths, and I don’t think I could do as well in a PUG group unless it was the first boss, easy for anyone to get to and get used to doing.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, a lot of people are looking for jewelry and Lokkestiz weapons.
    Also, BiS gear is only needed for challenging content so I think everyone should learn mechanics as they farm. After all, being able to clear content is the goal here, not just getting gear.
    I pugged some vSS to get my gear and some pugs were completely incapable of following the tactic even on the first boss, so I don't think that skipping the last boss would save such pugs. Some pugs, on the other hand, went completely fine... It's like a lottery. I usually give it a few tries and if I see that its not happening, I just leave.
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on January 26, 2020 5:10PM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Theoretically, yes. Realistically, no. You're going to be hard pressed to find a group who is willing to do a single boss farm for less than stellar pieces of the gear they might need. The meta for using PFG is front barred staff, and either jewels, or assorted body pieces. The staff and jewels only drop on the final boss, so you'll need to farm the entire instance for the pieces you'll need.

To be honest, everyone died during their first trip through there. Don't let that discourage you. A few more runs through will start to clarify mechanics for you and it'll get much easier with time. It's a great trial for teaching stacking and raid/mechanical awareness as well, so you'll only benefit from spending time farming in there.
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    p00tx wrote: »
    Theoretically, yes. Realistically, no. You're going to be hard pressed to find a group who is willing to do a single boss farm for less than stellar pieces of the gear they might need. The meta for using PFG is front barred staff, and either jewels, or assorted body pieces. The staff and jewels only drop on the final boss, so you'll need to farm the entire instance for the pieces you'll need.

To be honest, everyone died during their first trip through there. Don't let that discourage you. A few more runs through will start to clarify mechanics for you and it'll get much easier with time. It's a great trial for teaching stacking and raid/mechanical awareness as well, so you'll only benefit from spending time farming in there.

Why would you want the cost reduction on your front bar only when it's needed more on the back bar where all your expensive skills are?
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You shouldn't run FGD on just the front bar. Your back bar DoTs are more expensive than your front bar spammable. And with the extra 5p bonus from the Perfected version, you lose too much with single-bar.

FGD has the advantage that the most common setup--5 body pieces--are readily accessible. Running 5 body lets you switch between any sort of jewelry+weapon setup. Either Sorrow jewelry+infero, Willpower jewelry+Asylum, or Wrath jewelry+Asylum.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • r3turn2s3nd3r
    r3turn2s3nd3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also certain pieces drop from Yolnahkriin and others from Lokkestiiz. You would, at the bare minimum, have to farm both of them to get a full 5 pieces. Farming just one will not get you a full set.
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

Why would you want the cost reduction on your front bar only when it's needed more on the back bar where all your expensive skills are?

Because you should only be on your backbar for a maximum of 2-3 seconds at a time, and the majority of your time is spent on your front bar, using your spammable. This is, and has been, the meta set-up for mag dps since FGD dropped.
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Because you should only be on your backbar for a maximum of 2-3 seconds at a time, and the majority of your time is spent on your front bar, using your spammable. This is, and has been, the meta set-up for mag dps since FGD dropped.

I'm pretty sure if I go look at combat logs most top groups are going to be running fg on body. The minimal time spent on back bar just means missing out your crit from ms being front bar isn't that big of a deal, if a deal at all since the 4 and 5 piece from fg gives a lot of stats.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm pretty sure if I go look at combat logs most top groups are going to be running fg on body. The minimal time spent on back bar just means missing out your crit from ms being front bar isn't that big of a deal, if a deal at all since the 4 and 5 piece from fg gives a lot of stats.

I'd be curious to see what you find. On Xbox, the meta is FGD on front bar (people are still losing their minds trying to find that False God's Inferno). Unless you're an interrupter/orb killer or on a mag DK with Perfected AS Inferno.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because you should only be on your backbar for a maximum of 2-3 seconds at a time, and the majority of your time is spent on your front bar, using your spammable.
    I could easily turn that around and say, "You are on your back bar only briefly, so you are only losing MS's crit only briefly, so why would losing MS's crit on your back bar matter?" Your argument only supports the conclusion of "it doesn't matter a huge deal which set you lose on the back bar"; it does not support "losing MS on the back bar is worse than losing FGD". Fluctuations in max resources between different bars are handily somewhat clunkily, and the high cost of back-bar abilities plus the loss of the magicka return proc if some add happens to die while you are on the back bar are all problems with having FGD only front-barred.

I'd be curious to see what you find. On Xbox, the meta is FGD on front bar (people are still losing their minds trying to find that False God's Inferno). Unless you're an interrupter/orb killer or on a mag DK with Perfected AS Inferno.
    The meta on PC is Sorrow front bar, FGD body, and you can see that if you spy on the logs of competitive groups. I have no idea why Xbox would do it differently instead of copying what people on PC do.

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with FGD body. Most builds deal about 25% of damage while on back bar, but spend close to 50% of Magicka there.
  • r3turn2s3nd3r
    r3turn2s3nd3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    The meta on PC is Sorrow front bar, FGD body, and you can see that if you spy on the logs of competitive groups. I have no idea why Xbox would do it differently instead of copying what people on PC do.

PS4 here, this is exactly how everyone I know runs it. Front bar Sorrow, PFG body. I have an PFG Inferno sitting in the bank collecting dust. XD
  • naturebased
    naturebased
    ✭✭✭

PS4 here, this is exactly how everyone I know runs it. Front bar Sorrow, PFG body. I have an PFG Inferno sitting in the bank collecting dust. XD
    My build has 3 mother sorrow ring, 2 body piece, 3 body piece PFG and 2 staffs PFG, and then head and shoulder monster set. Most people would have a crushing wall but im not a fan of maelstrom arena
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My build has 3 mother sorrow ring, 2 body piece, 3 body piece PFG and 2 staffs PFG, and then head and shoulder monster set. Most people would have a crushing wall but im not a fan of maelstrom arena

Um. FGD staves drop only from the final boss. You only have a chance of getting any sort of weapon. And then only a chance that it'll be FGD. And then only a small chance that it's a fire or lightning staff and not, say, a greatsword of FGD. You'll most likely have multiple sets of FGD body pieces before you see your first staff. So if you are going to not run a vMA staff, then you should run two Sorrow staves.

But you should run a vMA staff. Not for the DPS increase. But because vMA is a rite of passage that anyone who wants to do vet DLC content should have mastered.

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • akdave0
    akdave0
    ✭✭✭✭
    The biggest thing for having a better chance is making sure only people in the group with the treasure hunter cp passive on are opening the chests. They get better gear because of it, and so do you.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    akdave0 wrote: »
    The biggest thing for having a better chance is making sure only people in the group with the treasure hunter cp passive on are opening the chests. They get better gear because of it, and so do you.

No and no.

No, the chests in Sunspire are worthless since they only drop non-perfected gear.

No, the loot chance CP passive is keyed to the person looting, NOT to the person who opens the chest. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever who pops the chest open.

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • akdave0
    akdave0
    ✭✭✭✭
    akdave0 wrote: »

No and no.

No, the chests in Sunspire are worthless since they only drop non-perfected gear.

No, the loot chance CP passive is keyed to the person looting, NOT to the person who opens the chest. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever who pops the chest open.

Huh, I was misinformed then. My apologies.

• karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you lack a portal team then yes.

If you kill the last boss easy then it doesn't matter.
  • TheRealDrRat
    TheRealDrRat
    ✭✭
    You can’t all three bosses drop different pieces from each set. For instance, I think Lokke only drop hands and legs.
  • ZOS_Lunar
    ZOS_Lunar
    admin
    Greetings!

We've closed this thread given its age and given that some information may be out of date. If you wish to continue discussing this topic please create a new thread. Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.