Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Combat is Clunky

Casterial
Casterial
✭✭✭✭✭
Am I the only one noticing how clunky combat is feeling? It feels way less fluid and some skills just do not go off now. Everything feels like it has a 0.01second cast time on it for the animation to play and sometimes if you block too quickly it just won't register the other skill at all now.... We went from a high skill cap with fluid combat to skill floor with clunky combat?

I know its a "learn to play" issue, but some parts of it just feel clunky and not working as intended.

~6years of ESO to finally see combat lose a lot of its fluid movement and feel its had since the start.

It could be.... The combat change for animation doesn't apply to all skills, only some? So we're like 30-50% of the way there?
Edited by Casterial on February 26, 2020 7:23AM
Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
The Order of Magnus
Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
For the Daggerfall Covenant
The Last Chillrend Empress
Animation Cancelling
  • ForzaRammer
    ForzaRammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's just more lag
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, you're not alone.. which just makes it even more sad :/
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read about it all the time, but really I have no issues. Combat feels extremely well and fluent with the block change, it doesn't look so clipped anymore if you cancel, overall it looks and feels way nicer than pre patch.
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • ykculnu
    ykculnu
    ✭✭
    Agreed completely. Clunky is the exact word I described it as. Seems to me like a combination of lag and the new animations. Incredibly disappointed since the main reason I play ESO is because of the fluid combat system. Pretty huge step back so far this patch.
    Syr the Ascended | EP | Magsorc - Disruptor
    The Trash Collector | EP | Magplar
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    L_Nici wrote: »
    I read about it all the time, but really I have no issues. Combat feels extremely well and fluent with the block change, it doesn't look so clipped anymore if you cancel, overall it looks and feels way nicer than pre patch.

Its interesting you say that, but did you animation cancel and/or pvp prepatch?
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Kill Counter Developer
    Animation Cancelling
  • AMeanOne
    AMeanOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like ps4 without the update :#
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Casterial I play PvP since 4 or even 5 years by now and I do animation cancel, I know what I am talking about thanks for the assumption I wouldn't.
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's clunky and aggrivating.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i love the new combat reactions and timing.
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    L_Nici wrote: »
    @Casterial I play PvP since 4 or even 5 years by now and I do animation cancel, I know what I am talking about thanks for the assumption I wouldn't.

Was a question, not an assumption. I judged off your forums account being made 2019. Not many actually know how to.
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    i love the new combat reactions and timing.

It feels slower, its not bad. But it favors larger group player over small scale now.
    D0PAMINE wrote: »
    It's clunky and aggrivating.
    Yup.... It sucks.It'll take time to adjust to of course.
    Edited by Casterial on February 25, 2020 11:31PM
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Kill Counter Developer
    Animation Cancelling
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Casterial I created this account as the EU server had those huge problems to run properly last year like a lot others to give even more voice to it. I play ESO itself since March 2015 as it went to a buy to play system.
    Edited by L_Nici on February 25, 2020 11:37PM
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • MaGicBush
    MaGicBush
    ✭✭✭
    It seems the same to me :neutral:
  • oneway123
    oneway123
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, not happy with combat in this patch myself. Just doesn’t feel smooth. Slow and like you said, some things just don’t work!
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaGicBush wrote: »
    It seems the same to me :neutral:
    oneway123 wrote: »
    Yeah, not happy with combat in this patch myself. Just doesn’t feel smooth. Slow and like you said, some things just don’t work!

A lot of people I know who love small scale / solo pvp just all are finding this patch to be too slow and clunky. I'm not entirely sure the vision behind this. I wish Giliam or Brian would talk to us and explain in great detail why.
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Kill Counter Developer
    Animation Cancelling
  • iCaliban
    iCaliban
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's just more lag

Unfortunately it isnt. Animation cancelling is flat out unreliable right now. Skills have to be mashed to go off. This is outside of cyrodil as well
  • DukeDiewalker
    DukeDiewalker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The changes to block and animation cancelling with block are an actual insult. The game feels mechanically clunky and awful since the patch.
    No performance improvement could ever justify this in my opinion.
  • ykculnu
    ykculnu
    ✭✭
    The changes to block and animation cancelling with block are an actual insult. The game feels mechanically clunky and awful since the patch.

My frames are mostly the same. No big change in performance for me.
    Syr the Ascended | EP | Magsorc - Disruptor
    The Trash Collector | EP | Magplar
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ykculnu wrote: »

My frames are mostly the same. No big change in performance for me.

My frames are barely changed, if anything they didn't change and in some areas lowered lol..
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Kill Counter Developer
    Animation Cancelling
  • Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, I cant skip anymore most of animations and especially these longes...look at arrow barrage, long af and cant skip normally anymore besides bar swap which also doesnt work always because some skills got such animation...you are stuck in their animation so badly tou cant even swap wepon - look at 1st cast of stone fist

EDIT....and what is funny and sad in it....they didnt need to change meta completly to force people now to learn again their dps rotation :v
    Edited by Edziu on February 26, 2020 12:56AM
  • BRogueNZ
    BRogueNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eh.. it's working fine
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The server incredibly laggy at least on NA...
  • Alexsae
    Alexsae
    ✭✭✭
    Combat is feeling clunky with and without ani canceling. Bars aren't swapping reliably. Channeled abilities are lagging/bugging/sticking. This is just from target dummy practice. It's worse in actual combat situations.
  • Nightwiish
    Nightwiish
    ✭✭✭
    The whole thing is way off and inconsistent.

For example, Spiked Armor has inconsistent Animation Cancel depending on the morph;
    • Hardened Armor animation cancels as pre-patch
    • Volatile Armor does not animation cancel as pre-patch

Other skills like Rally, Elude animation cancels like pre-patch but Vigor doesn't.

I just can't find the a pattern on the intended outcomes and effects of this change supposed to introduce.

This change appears to be inconsistent within Stamina abilities. It appears to be inconsistent within Magicka abilities
    Inconsistent as well as Class abilities.

It would be great to hear from @Gilliamtherogue because none of this play out as explained in the "ESO - PTS Block Changes w/Gilliamtherogue"
    @loki220
    Nighwtiish - Stam NB
    silvermetal - Stam DK
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casterial wrote: »
    Am I the only one noticing how clunky combat is feeling? It feels way less fluid and some skills just do not go off now. Everything feels like it has a 0.01second cast time on it for the animation to play and sometimes if you block too quickly it just won't register the other skill at all now.... We went from a high skill cap with fluid combat to skill floor with clunky combat?

I know its a "learn to play" issue, but some parts of it just feel clunky and not working as intended.

~6years of ESO to finally see combat lose a lot of its fluid movement and feel its had since the start.

You want clunky, try playing The Old Republic Online (especially a melee character), or Lord of the Rings Online... really, any of the older games, with the possible exception of D&D Online.

ESO is actually way more fluid than most games I've played.
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My small group of 52 haven’t noticed any change at all, light attacks op 🤪
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgha_Kul wrote: »

You want clunky, try playing The Old Republic Online (especially a melee character), or Lord of the Rings Online... really, any of the older games, with the possible exception of D&D Online.

We're comparing ESO post and pre patch not other games. Please keep to the topic. I'll also like to mention, I've played probably 20-30 MMOs in the last 5years or so. I like ESO, but this patch is not feeling like ESO it feels more like GW2 in a way.
    Edited by Casterial on February 26, 2020 1:40AM
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Kill Counter Developer
    Animation Cancelling
  • Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

idk how are/was these games..but I guess they was just created this way which you mean

while ESO was nnot created such clunky way, this was so energetic, living, fast combat, not becaome so slow and clunky in just 1 day which never was like that

while also every newer content which was releasing it was with mind of possibilities to do it - so meta gear, high cp and in it skilled gameplay with ani cancel for faster, more effective fights with time
    while now we are going back insted further with progress because of this change to animations...ZOS is adding newer proc sets for PVE dps to recompensate delete of rewards of skilled gameplay to try to stay with overall endgame dps on same level as it was...but only if you have grinded another PROC setc

yep, nothing better in game than gear doing dps instead of you
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edziu wrote: »

idk how are/was these games..but I guess they was just created this way which you mean

while ESO was nnot created such clunky way, this was so energetic, living, fast combat, not becaome so slow and clunky in just 1 day which never was like that

while also every newer content which was releasing it was with mind of possibilities to do it - so meta gear, high cp and in it skilled gameplay with ani cancel for faster, more effective fights with time
    while now we are going back insted further with progress because of this change to animations...ZOS is adding newer proc sets for PVE dps to recompensate delete of rewards of skilled gameplay to try to stay with overall endgame dps on same level as it was...but only if you have grinded another PROC setc

yep, nothing better in game than gear doing dps instead of you

It also comes down to the team should finally let us players / know what they want out of the game. Changing a game so drastically patch after patch is bad for the game in the long run. Iterations like this should have happened early stages 2013-2015 and not 5 years into the game. Its semi-great that they're taking actions, but changing the game so much churns loyal players out quickly.
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Kill Counter Developer
    Animation Cancelling
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanctum74 wrote: »
    My small group of 52 haven’t noticed any change at all, light attacks op 🤪

Which comes down to... Did they do this to empower zergs and weaken small scale? I find this being "server stability" change a lie.... Theres so many other options. While more expensive, would be less expensive in the long run than the constant iterations.
    Edited by Casterial on February 26, 2020 1:42AM
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Kill Counter Developer
    Animation Cancelling
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

As someone with that super high Aussie ping, this all just sounds like my regular gameplay.