The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.0 maintenance and is currently unavailable.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

Reasonable Expectation Time for Patch Download/Install

thadjarvis
thadjarvis
✭✭✭✭
What is a reasonable amount of time we could assume such that players would have the new Patch downloaded and installed?

This would help many players/guilds that have regularly scheduled weekly events on Monday to plan ahead. Thank you.

I can't remember how long it took me to first download the first PTS.

Best Answers

• Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont have good internet and i was able to redownload the game in less than 4 hours last time i had to redownload the game
    Answer ✓
  • Square252
    Square252
    ✭✭✭
    Took about an hour on my end of the interwebz. From what i've seen the time to download and install the patch varies between 45 minutes to 3 hours for most of the players who reported their status here.

There are too many variables for a general statement on the needed time.
    Answer ✓
  • SeaUnicorn
    SeaUnicorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thadjarvis wrote: »

@SeaUnicorn
    Makes sense. Do these companies use their owns networks? Interesting/odd, I would have thought for taxing uploads like this that network admins would outsource the load to a 3rd party service.

Either that or procure more bandwidth for short period of time. Or do both. Looks like patching goes pretty well, good preparation on ZOS end!
    Answer ✓
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not everyone has the same internet provider, speed, or tier, @thadjarvis ... so asking for a download time is like herding cats.

As long as your guild leaders know to temper their expectations, guild events will be back on soon enough.

Also remember that not everyone will immediately start the download as soon as the patch drops. With work and everything ...

• Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    for some of my friends it can take a good 12hrs to down load
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    thadjarvis wrote: »
    What is a reasonable amount of time we could assume such that players would have the new Patch downloaded and installed?

This would help many players/guilds that have regularly scheduled weekly events on Monday to plan ahead. Thank you.

I can't remember how long it took me to first download the first PTS.

to be fair the re-install was announced awhile ago and most if not all GM's are aware and would of planned accordingly
  • SeaUnicorn
    SeaUnicorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Limitations will be 2 fold - personal provider bandwidth and ZOS' network bandwidth.
    Even with very good provider players will still see some cap of download speeds because of ESO network bandwidth.

Lets make an assumption that 10k people will be trying to patch in on Monday and therefore download 60 Gig of data:
    10,000*60GB = 600,000 GB of data needs to be transmitted from ZOS network.

With 1 Gb/s of upload network bandwidth it will take:
    600,000*8/1 = 48000s = 55 days

With 10 Gb/s of upload network bandwidth it will take:
    600,000*8/10 = 48000s = 5.5 days
    and so on.

With 100 Gb/s of upload network bandwidth it will take:
    600,000*8/100 = 4800s = 0.55 days
    and so on.

Ofc, this can be alleviated with some sort of torrent-like solution where people who download also upload to the peers.

Your own download time with given bandwidth approximation:

If you have 100Mb/s internet:
    100/(8*1000) = 0.0125 GB/s
    60/0.0125 = 4800 s
    4800/60 = 80 min
    To download full client.

If you have 40Mb/s internet:
    40/(8*1000) = 0.005 GB/s
    60/0.005 = 12000 s
    12000/60 = 200 min
    200 min/60 = 3.3 hours
    To download full client.

There is also calculator that can be used if you dont want to do the math :D
    https://www.download-time.com/

In short Monday will resemble launch of any online game - some people who start early will be able to patch in, while others will experience delays. I would say expect best but plan for the worst: do not plan any events for Monday. There is good likelihood that you will get in some time Tuesday.

Side note I might have messed up some formulas, also in reality 1GB is 1024MB but for approximation purposes not a big difference.
    Edited by SeaUnicorn on February 23, 2020 7:50PM
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess a week is reasonable time for everyone to get back, even the seasonal weekend players.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the excellent analysis, @SeaUnicorn ...
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all. I was able to shift a prog run to last night so that there was no 12 player events tonight. Releasing the patch overnight rather than this afternoon should help.

@SeaUnicorn
    Makes sense. Do these companies use their owns networks? Interesting/odd, I would have thought for taxing uploads like this that network admins would outsource the load to a 3rd party service.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I started mine before I went to work. Starting the patch at 2EST was nice. Allowed me to kick off the update around 7am.

Seemed to be averaging 25-35MB/s.
  • Baphomet
    Baphomet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 100/100 MB/sec connection, but the download speed is stuck around 1 MB/sec.

Guess I’ll be back in game the day after tomorrow.
    - The Psijic Order
    - TKO
    - Dominant Dominion
    - The Noore