Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dynamic Server Population limits

iamnotweakrwb17_ESO
iamnotweakrwb17_ESO
✭✭✭✭
Title says it all... Can we PLEASE get dynamic server population limits to keep the faction population numbers in check.

Reasons this is needed
1) Campaigns are won by how many players a given faction has on in the off peak. On Kaalgrontiid, Ebonheart Pact has the highest overall population in the off peak times. It doesn't take much to figure out why they keep wining the campaigns. The second most population faction is AD and the score reflects just that.

2) It boosts competitiveness and gives each faction a fair chance to win.

3) Player sanity. It's not fun getting zerged in the offpeak by 50 or more players when you only have 10 of your faction on..

How does dynamic population limits work? The server sets the population limit a touch above the lowest populated factions present number. ie. if 20 guys are on for DC, the poplation limit is set a touch above that, say 25 for the other 2 factions. When more DC log in, the bar is raised and when people log off, the bar is lowered again. This prevents a situation like what we have on live where EP can be pop locked while DC and AD are at 1 or 2 bars.
  • Delsskia
    Delsskia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been asking for this for years. Do away with the low pop bonus and do this instead. It just makes so much sense.
    NA-PC
    Fantasia
  • antihero727
    antihero727
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS can hardly keep us from crashing and lagging out. Let’s crawl before we try to run. Great idea but there are far more pressing matters. Just fixing the group Q exploit from last year was a great start. I believe we should fix what crap we have before introducing more broken crap.

PS DC has no issues gate camping a 2 bar faction while poplocked so you get what you give. I remember a certain streamer sitting in BB with his 12 and that easy AP guild 30+ while EP PvDoored emp.
    Edited by antihero727 on February 10, 2020 5:21PM
    Veldrn-AD Magica Sorc
    Bizarro Veldrn-AD Stam Sorc
    Antiherro-AD Stam DK
    Antihero-AD Magplar
    Aww Crit-AD Magblade
    AD Since PC beta
    On A lag free vacation
    for the near and far future
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The pvp population is already small enough, I don’t think telling people that they can’t play the game just because it doesn’t agree with someone else’s time zone or schedule would be healthy for the game.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As an offpeak player the imbalances and the halfwits who gate camp impact me greatly, but this is an idea without merit, and without much thought. You'll just end up in a race to the bottom.
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A better solution is a points scoring timing adjustment based on population.

E.G. when all factions locked points are scored every 5m. When there is an imbalance that time extends depending on the population ratios
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • iamnotweakrwb17_ESO
    iamnotweakrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

E.G. when all factions locked points are scored every 5m. When there is an imbalance that time extends depending on the population ratios

Hmmm I actually don't mind that solution. Anyone else who plays a lot in the offpeak object to this?
  • Heimpai
    Heimpai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AD actually has the pop in off hours, EP just happens to have a steady flow of players

You would have AD/EP not be allowed to play simply Cuz dc doesn't have pop without certain groups?
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That will solve the scoring problem, but will have little effect besides that. People will still pile on the same side for easy wins, leading to frustrating gameplay for the opposition.

But, yea. It is a step in the right direction.
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could see this having merit on the unlocked server where people could still play for a different faction. It's problematic on the locked server though.
  • fastolfv_ESO
    fastolfv_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gotta start with the issue that creates all these problems if ep is the only faction being played and rolled then its a zos issue, this needs to be adressed. If its destroying the last populated campaign then yes zos needs to handle how many ep can pvp at one time while also stop trying to market the game as skyrim skyrim skyrim come on guys dragons here roll a nord and rp the dragonborn! maybe market the other alliances so new players roll different bloody sides and the imbalance is one day made up. Hell Dc isnt even in the original trailer its a norse dude and a elf fighting one another the entire time with a zombie that was once a breton
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pop related campaign scoring has been suggested nearly since eso came out, but zos dont listen to the pvp player base. It would not solve all problems but it would make the campaigns more balanced.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It would be nice to test one campaign that has dynamic population. I personal believe it is the solution to many problems.

DYNAMIC POPULATION!!!!!
    DYNAMIC POPULATION!!!!!
    DYNAMIC POPULATION!!!!!
    DYNAMIC POPULATION!!!!!
    DYNAMIC POPULATION!!!!!

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• dennissomb16_ESO
    dennissomb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think how frustrated you are when you log in during prime time and see a que of 80+ before you can actually get into Cyrodiil and play. Now think how frustrated you will really be if you log in during off hours and cannot play at all because one of the other factions is at low populations. No thank you.

Fix the scoring for off hours, adjust Emp and hammer for off hours and make the guards actually useful by boosting them for low population (as an example of something that may help low population faction)
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have changed my mind on dynamic population and am on the pro side for all campaigns. It would create a choice for those that all want to pile in on the same faction. Have a queue or switch to an underpopulated faction. Best case scenario some people switch factions when new campaign starts, worst case they have a queue and can not dominate that time slot on one faction painting the map, hording scrolls, and emping against no one.