Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Perspective of returning player.

marten_philip
marten_philip
✭✭✭
So I returned to Eso 3 weeks ago, I bought the latest expansion and added 30-days of Eso plus to my account.
And started revisiting eso, a game I haven't played since it's extremely disappointment during release.

And I'm surprised to say, the game feels more complete compared to what they first released.
Implementation that should have been there since the beginning are finally present in the game.
Though some of the features being locked behind DLC such as the Thieves guild and of course the darkbrotherhood, I'm this has been said many times before.
These 2 guilds should be a part of the base game and not DLC, and I totally agree on that, but I won't put any energy on that.

Let's focus on some positives.

The game still holds up visually, they added new item models and textures, though I do feel the vanilla models/skins could use a revamp, but they can still pass.
Further more, the new addition in content story lines, crafting skills, classes and even battle grounds are all fine and fun additions to the game.... to a certain extend.

I had fun leveling a fresh night blade from 1 to 50 and to cp 250, but sooner or later I started to lose interest, not due to a lack of content but due to a absence of a community.
All the quests apart from specific group quests are all solo content and don't require any interactions with other players. Pvp and Pve dungeons don't require a guild or a list of players you've meat during your adventures, nope just like world of faceroll you just queue up, sit and wait until your queue pops up and in tradition to world of faceroll once you're teleported to the dungeon, the group chat is dead silent, 0 interaction at all, with few rare occasions of people replying only saying hi back. Same for pvp battle grounds, just queue sit wait and enter and pray to the gods your team is focusing on the objectives instead of a world of faceroll alliance player farming the center of warsong gultch trying to get kills but failing every time.

Now let's focus a bit more on the battle grounds, the idea is great. The modes are fine, the map design and layout are all fine and amazing.
But it's imbalanced, not just slightly, no extremely imbalanced it comes down meta and gear skill and class knowledge? meh, hardly required, killing people in 5 blows that's not skill or a rotation, that's just imbalanced game play. Now on max level pvp this could be expected as it's the case with many other mmorpgs, but shockingly enough, this is also the case with pre 50 pvp.
Where many people who mostlikely lack the ability to win battles on their main, resort in to buying OP sets for their alts in order to finally experience a win, destroying any competitiveness in the battle ground pvp scene, he who has the biggest wallet wins, kudos! I'm better off playing a p2w mmorpg with an actual socially active community than hoping to experience any competitive pvp in Eso. Now I might sound harsh, salty but I'm actually only providing feedback.

For imagine new players stepping in to this game ( who's active player base is once again on a rapid decline ) and they get destroyed in 3-4 hits by players of their same level or even lower, what do you think they will perceive the pvp scenery as? that's right! a imbalanced mess. Will it motivate them to support the developers in extending any further funding in to the game? highly unlikely.
Now obviously many of the under performing players who finally found a way to have a moment to shine in a game with a shrinking player base by purchasing sets to out damage fresh new players. But eventually no one will be bothered to play, leaving only people like yourselves left in the game making the already rather dull pvp experience even more dull and eventually dead.
This has been the down fall for many mmorpg titles in the past and it could give eso the push it needs to join them.
So in my opinion the easiest fix for this problem, would be removal of set bonuses and grant every player base stats, rendering the game play based on their skill and class knowledge rather than cookie cutter set builds. Making the pvp scene more competitive when it comes to battle grounds.

Now PVE.... like I said before... the game feels like a single player experience.
For just like world of warcraft it became a online rpg with a public queue lobby.
Now people have said to join a guild, which I have tried but guild recruitment are so terrible slow and non existent it's hard to find a guild or at least a proper one.
I have been part of a few, where people spamming the guild chat LFM for veteran dungeon blabla CP 800+ link achie. And I instantly got flash backs to trash wow puggers in all blue gear demanding get boosted by people who literally have no need for the dungeon other than just 1 rare drop with a 0,000001% drop chance. And I just left the guild, if you're bringing anti-social standards and pricniples from a socially destroyed game, than I'm out.
Now this isn't just a problem I've encountered in guild chats but zone chats as well, I kina have a feeling a large portion of the BFA scrubs that dropped out for whatever reason ended up playing eso and brought their anti social behavior to eso, or maybe it's been a shift in mentality soon after I quit playing back at release I don't know, but I do know. it's disgusting and has no place in a mmorpg. If you don't have the patient or people skills to interact with other people and communicate, don't play mmorpg's, they're not your coup of tea, like the Elder Scrolls? fine, play the solo rpg's they're better and you can play them all by yourself! for if you can't explain simple mechanics of a combat system relying on a rotation set existing out of maximum 10 buttons than you're pretty much "special". Nasa has taught chimpanzees to man space shuttles and yet you can't explain a party how to perform a series of pre-scripted events of a simple boss encounter, truly the next step of human evolution.

So after all.

The developers did their best they added a lot of content to the game.
Most of which are all solo and hold no replay value.
Pve group content fun and interesting but can't be fully enjoyed due to a socially challenged community.
PvP as far as battlegrounds go, extremely imbalanced both due to under performing players and bad developer implementation. After experiencing the disapointing mess called battle grounds, I lost any interest I had in revisiting Cyrodiil which I heard is betteer and for your sake, I sincerely hope it is better, though I doubt it as it's a pvp on a mass scale and fights relying on large scale combat with people working in greater numbers and since the community interaction ( players amongst them selves ) is lacking, I doubt it will be any good.

Conclusion:

I did not like it.

Not the game it self, but the community.
With the majority being on the spectrum the game still feels like a solo rpg experience.
It's another case of the community killing the game them selves.
The game had potential, large region maps with many points of interest, group content and challenges. but in the end it's just like world of warcraft a online rpg lobby with a dungeon and pvp queue and community that rather sell one of their own kidneys than socially partake in a mmorpg.

[snip]
I'm merely sharing my experience with the game and the community.
I addressed positives, but mainly negatives for in my opinion and experiences there are more negatives than positives and this is mainly due to you, the community.

[snip]
You're contributing to the point I'm trying to make of the community being on the spectrum and lacking basic social skills.

For those who want to bring up, should have find a better guild or: My guild is super social and active. having a tight nit group and excluding the rest of the player base is contributing to the shirking community problem. If you're not embracing new players openly and or solely focus on yourself and your own personal character progression than why play a online rpg in the first place? [snip], the point of playing a mmorpg is to experience a RPG on a MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER scale and playing this solo or with a small exclussive group isn't the idea or intent of the mmorpg genre.

It's like buying a poker set only to use it to play solitaire by yourself.

You've been provided a great, living and breathing world ( events, content, dlc's expansions ) and all you do is focus on yourself.
[snip]

[snip]

GL HF

[snip]

Edit for bait.
Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on February 14, 2020 4:55AM
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Counter point.

Personal experiences of one or a direct few (i.e: friends, family, guilds) does not dictate the experiences or encounters of the majority with in any and all communities, be it a Digital / virtual world or the real world.

That said; for me, being deaf, and having a cocktail of other medical conditions - normally expecting more negative as the outcomes come and go through life, have seen nothing but more positive and helpful community. Even the worse of the worse here through my own encounters have been far more pleasing than those of GW2, FFXI / FFXIV, WildStar, WoW and COH/V who are just pandering to boost their own social status (again through my experiences).

Everyone sees, experiences, and understands and partakes in what they want very differently; some through passive aggressive assumptions and defenses, some trollish, some with sympathy, others with empathy. Whiles others caring to much, and others caring not enough, or at all. Many assume that the community should come to them, others believe one must come and find their niche in the community.

Key point, do what you got to do, assuming you have anything to do at all.
    Edited by StormeReigns on February 14, 2020 3:28AM
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Requiring interactions with other players is not needed at all to create community, encouraging it is. forcing people to group only drives away those who like to solo often.

Best scenario is people have reason to group, but dont feel discouraged from going solo when they feel like it.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel sorry for you OP
  • marten_philip
    marten_philip
    ✭✭✭
    Counter point.

Personal experiences of one or a direct few (i.e: friends, family, guilds) does not dictate the experiences or encounters of the majority with in any and all communities, be it a Digital / virtual world or the real world.

That said; for me, being deaf, and having a cocktail of other medical conditions - normally expecting more negative as the outcomes come and go through life, have seen nothing but more positive and helpful community. Even the worse of the worse here through my own encounters have been far more pleasing than those of GW2, FFXI / FFXIV, WildStar, WoW and COH/V who are just pandering to boost their own social status (again through my experiences).

Everyone sees, experiences, and understands and partakes in what they want very differently; some through passive aggressive assumptions and defenses, some trollish, some with sympathy, others with empathy. Whiles others caring to much, and others caring not enough, or at all. Many assume that the community should come to them, others believe one must come and find their niche in the community.

counter point:

Just because you and your exclusive friends experience the game differently doesn't mean the majority does.

Like I said before the guilds who claim they are active are usually only active with a select few palyers and ignore the rest.
    And it's highly likely you're exactly in that type of nit group.

I'm bringing you this point of view from a returning player I played, the close beta and on day 1 release for 2 months and baild out on the game like thousands of other players.

I came back now and I'm basically new again and I'm just being ignored by everyone, because previously mentioned points.

People being anti social self centered or excluding anyone they don't know apart from their exclusive group.
    Both cases contributing to the alienating any potential growth of the player base leading up to inevitable demise of the game by your own doing.
  • marten_philip
    marten_philip
    ✭✭✭
    dazee wrote: »
    Requiring interactions with other players is not needed at all to create community, encouraging it is. forcing people to group only drives away those who like to solo often.

Best scenario is people have reason to group, but dont feel discouraged from going solo when they feel like it.

it's a mmorpg.

The whole idea of a mmorpg is to partake in a world bigger than yourself.
    This is the very essence of the mmorpg genre.
    If people can't handle the idea of playing with other people they shouldn't play mmorpgs.
    Besides that FACT, ESO's majority exists out of solo content, delves, story lines etc.
  • Indigogo
    Indigogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I've found it incredibly difficult to wrap my head around the lonely experience of ESO. I'm also cycling around the guilds trying to find The One.

It's disheartening for sure.
    I was so naive thinking mmo's would be a bunch of people playing a game and having fun together. Everyone hates each others guts 😅
    Did I get the acronym wrong?

Mass Murder Online?
    Miserable Men Online?
    😁
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Counter point.

counter point:

Just because you and your exclusive friends experience the game differently doesn't mean the majority does.

Like I said before the guilds who claim they are active are usually only active with a select few palyers and ignore the rest.

I'm bringing you this point of view from a returning player I played, the close beta and on day 1 release for 2 months and baild out on the game like thousands of other players.

I came back now and I'm basically new again and I'm just being ignored by everyone, because previously mentioned points.

People being anti social self centered or excluding anyone they don't know apart from their exclusive group.
    Both cases contributing to the alienating any potential growth of the player base leading up to inevitable demise of the game by your own doing.

With your first post, and now this one, already tacking in multiple assumptions and belittlements, especially when I wasn't being confrontational, just sharing my experiences, and how my view is different.

I am wonder now how your in game interactions are with the others. There are often multiple sides to a single story, and somewhere in between all those tales, lies the truth.

Bets of luck.
  • marten_philip
    marten_philip
    ✭✭✭
    Counter point.

counter point:

With your first post, and now this one, already tacking in multiple assumptions and belittlements, especially when I wasn't being confrontational, just sharing my experiences, and how my view is different.

I am wonder now how your in game interactions are with the others. There are often multiple sides to a single story, and somewhere in between all those tales, lies the truth.

Bets of luck.

Your experience is based on yours alone.

Mine is based on mine and that of other new comers.
    There's a reason why the player base is on a decline.

And you pointed out I'm making assumptions and my assumptions and experiences doesn't justify the experience of the majority seems far fetched when I'm addressing serious concerns and arguments backed up by facts like the declining steam charts. Which is the only platform promptly promoting the game to new players. I myself am still running the game through its native launcher as I purchased the game on release and I am a founder/veteran to the game even though I have been absent for so long.

And I can guarantee the steam player base is bigger than that of the non-steam players.

You can keep on denying the serious issues I've addressed shoving them off as personal experiences and blindly focusing on your own experiences but this only favors my point as you're exactly only minding your own business which is the whole problem with the community in the first place and the point I'm exactly trying to get across.

• ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

After review, we would like to ask that all posts moving forward be kept civil, constructive, and within the guidelines of the rules we have in place. If there may be any questions in regards to the rules, please feel free to take a few moments to review them here.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what sort of community experience where you hoping for?

In my experience, both in games & real life, you will only get something out of being a part of a community if you put an equal effort in to be part of the community.
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dazee wrote: »

it's a mmorpg.

The whole idea of a mmorpg is to partake in a world bigger than yourself.
    This is the very essence of the mmorpg genre.
    If people can't handle the idea of playing with other people they shouldn't play mmorpgs.
    Besides that FACT, ESO's majority exists out of solo content, delves, story lines etc.

there is a great deal of difference between playing alongside other people and being forced into playing WITH other people.

you claim that these are serious issues but are they? other they really? exactly how can you guaranteed that non steam community is smaller then steam community?

and here is the thing. there are people who have their insular groups of friends and are happy when it remains that way. and there are people who are welcoming to meeting and including new players. it IS possible to find that second group, and there is the rub - you have to make an effort. what it sounds like is that you want the game to make that effort FOR you. and then wonder why you have trouble finding people to play with...
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Communities are very very difficult to manage. The way I find enjoyment is having 20-30 eso friends I play with regularly on VC. I don’t know how to generate community or friendship through text only.

But yes managing a guild of 100+ that is very welcoming to new players without the new player becoming gamer friends with some of the members is close to impossible.

Eg go into a high school, work environment etc of 100 people. You have to generate particular relationships with a subset of that giant group.

Did you use VC?

Yes most pugs won’t be socially interactive but every once in a while you struggle together positively. Did you reach out to them to play again in some other content.

My point is friendships and communities are really on us not someone else. We have to put effort in to communicate with others. I wouldn’t focus on guilds but people. Eventually the people you enjoy playing with or just talking with on VC eventually will wind up in the same guild(s) or you’ll create your own.
    Edited by thadjarvis on February 14, 2020 5:20AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I do not get it. I read what OP says about BGs, that they are imbalanced towards those who are geared well and have gained player skill playing their class via experience. That seems rather appropriate for any MMORPG worth playing. The more we play, the more we learn and end up playing better.

Then OP says the game plays like a single-player game. People can play it like a single-player game or get involved with actual groups via guilds and more. It is a choice. Heck, Zos even added a guild finder to make it easier to find groups to play with. Make that jump instead of complaining about one's own choice.

OP does not like the community. It seems clear they never really tried to join an actual group of people. It is not hard. Heck, I used to lead a group of friendly minded players of all types. While we kept the guild to less than 150 members to keep it manageable it was never hard to find new players. It comes down to a choice and it does not matter which MMORPG one plays it is still the same choice.
  • Nomadic_Atmoran
    Nomadic_Atmoran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not the game it self, but the community.
    With the majority being on the spectrum the game still feels like a solo rpg experience.

Projecting much?
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry - Laerinel Rhaev - Enrerion - Caius Berilius - Seylina Ithvala - Signa Squallrider - H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Yynril Rothvani - Tenarei Rhaev - Bathes-In-Coin - Dazsh Ro Khar - Aredyhel - Reads-To-Frogs - Azjani Ma'Les
    Kheshna gra-Gharbuk - Gallisten Bondurant - Aban Shahid Bakr - Etain Maquier - Atsu Kalame - Faulpia Severinus
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My perspective is that it’s a great game which you can choose to play solo or collectively.

I’ve found that the group content can initially seem a bit daunting, but it’s really rewarding once you get into it. Now I find it the most compelling element of the game. I’ve found the PC community (both EU and NA) is genuinely welcoming and enjoyable to meet and get to know.

Guild finder is a real tool to help you find the right guild(s) for you. Not every one will be. And generally the feeling of belonging you’ll feel is directly linked to the effort you put in.

PvP and Battlegrounds are a bit messy. Low numbers, poor matchmaking, power imbalance and high learning curve make it a hard part of the game to engage with. But even then, doing it with a bunch of others is really enjoyable.

• Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is so far from my own experience that I can only conclude you have a different idea of what that is... or have had extremely bad luck in the guilds you have joined.

Every single guild I am in (5), has a core group of regular, committed, active and vocal players. This is similar for almost any community. These people become friends, they chat regularly in voice and guild text chat, they help each other, they offer help to any guildie that needs it, be it crafting, advice, or help with content completion. We have a laugh, we talk about real life, not just ESO.

You get out of a community what you put in. There are huge numbers of "lurkers" in every community, those who are within that community but are not vocal, or "active" or participating much. That is their prerogative. It is human nature. We cannot force these people to participate more in the community, to engage with chats and guild activities. If you or anyone else sees the "core group" chatting, interacting, it is up to you to get involved. Say hi. Ask for help/advice. Chat, engage, participate. You are not being ignored, at least not in my experience across multiple guilds over the years.

Keep looking for a good guild(s). I do agree that there are poor guilds out there, managed poorly. A lot of the impetus does come from those who are administering and running the guild. A good guild needs a good leadership team to foster a community. The best and most active guild communities run regular guild events and activities and have lively chat for members to participate in. Doing this by the way, is VERY time consuming for the guild leaders, it take a lot of time and effort, spare a thought for us!

Addendum. I think it is hugely positive that virtually all overland content, even the more difficult world bosses, can be done solo with experience & practice. For a couple of years I mostly quested overland, it was a wonderful, rich & enjoyable experience. * Note that I did a large percent of this WITH MY FRIENDS. We had a small guild of RL friends and quested TOGETHER. You can play ESO solo or with others, before even considering the actual group content, dungeons, trials, PVP etc.

EDIT, I thought I would add, battlegrounds... For newer players one of the fundamental shifts in thinking and understanding is when you learn that you need to build completely differently and play completely differently for PVP. Different armour sets, different skills, different morphs, different champion points. You cannot go into PVP with your PVE character and expect to a. survive vs anything other than noobs. b. kill decent players.
    Edited by Grianasteri on February 14, 2020 4:37PM
  • snoozy
    snoozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "no community"

"hard to find a guild"

not sure we played the same game :open_mouth:
    PC EU
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with a lot of what you’re saying OP. That’s how PvE felt to me when I started, most MMO players started with WoW so really have no basis for comparison for how older MMOs felt.

From an experienced player’s perspective here’s why things are the way the are:

1. Huge learning curve to be able to play the game at a reasonable level.

Part of it is animation canceling and light attack weaving, but for whatever reason a new player’s output is a quarter of an experienced player. Not just that, but a player who’s done the research will have double the dps of other people. A lot of players never go on the forums or do basic research too, as a healer I’ve been more then half the group’s dps when I was with CP810 players. To be able to function at a high level you need to figure out mechanics that aren’t taught in game and practice a lot.

2. Huge new player churn.

When people turnover as fast as they do in ESO you get teaching fatigue. People aren’t staying and once you’ve taught 3+ people you never see again you give up.

3. Players want it to be a solo experience

I got what I needed from PvE and have only done it on alts since, I moved onto PvP. Even now you’ll see people who group up name called, and people want to be able to solo groups of players, and actually cry when they can’t do it.

Add them all together, plus horrible lag turning people off the game, and it’s very new player unfriendly. Plus experienced players are getting bored with the lag and are leaving too.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason the game's a faceroll is because most people don't want the kind of time sink the original mmo's were.

Hell, I miss the 'good old days' too, but when I do log into my first mmo and do anything can spend half a day and have very little to show for it. Those that have the kind of time on their hands and enjoy that level of forced grouping (community!) will fight claw, tooth, and nail to never let the game(s) die, because they don't make games like that anymore.

You said you left at launch, and I say you missed what was nearly a really good game (even with the bugs).
    There is no longer a need to group in this game other than for certain dungeons/trials, so it can't be the way you want it to be.
    It was nice to be able to sit camping and chatting etc, this game is not made for that sadly. If it wasn't for voice chat, I'd wonder if people even remembered hot to communicate xD

Anyway, sorry, but the 'community' you are looking for does exist in ESO, just not the way things were in the old days because there is zero need for that level of chummy-chatty outside of guilds.

If you find a (new) game (that is not pvp) that is anything close to the difficulty/forced necessity to group for trash pulls etc... shout out! Good luck!
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Counter point:

Player interactions are what you make them. One could put /zone and the guild chats on mute to focus on the gameplay itself or avoid interactions (as many do), or one could gallavant across Tamriel, cheerfully giving everyone and anyone free pies to the face! HUZZAH!!!
    Edited by Saucy_Jack on February 14, 2020 2:41PM
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • MaGicBush
    MaGicBush
    ✭✭✭
    As a returning player myself I have not had the same experience as the op. I didn't have time right now to read replies, and am just responding to the op. I have played a few bgs and found it fairly balanced. It took way more than 3-4 hits to kill me, and I got a few kills myself as a fresh pvper. I'd imagine it's how you have setup your skills. I am a StamNecro and had no problems with survivability.

As far as community that's just personal experience which would be different for everyone. I found a good guild on my 5th day in the game that is very helpful and does alot of content together every night.

I do agree their focus is way to much on adding solo pve content though, and I would like them to focus on more group gameplay and improve pvp soon though. I'm not sure if I'll end up playing more than spring and summer without more pvp content.
    Edited by MaGicBush on February 14, 2020 2:40PM
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To be honest, I stopped reading at "this game ( who's active player base is once again on a rapid decline )".

Because it's not.

How do I know?
    I don't.
    But neither do you.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would merely ask the OP this: If as an effectively new player you have leveled from character creation to 250cps inside 3 weeks, then what time have you had to devote to interacting with the community? I mean seriously interacting, including socially, as opposed to simply joining other players in rushing through the game?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saucy_Jack wrote: »
    Counter point:

Player interactions are what you make them. One could put /zone and the guild chats on mute to focus on the gameplay itself or avoid interactions (as many do), or one could gallavant across Tamriel, cheerfully giving everyone and anyone free pies to the face! HUZZAH!!!

This very much sans pies.

Getting to know other players and running content with them is a choice. I even run the storyline quests with others on a specific character. Some players are challenged getting to know others but that is not a reflection on the game.
  • marten_philip
    marten_philip
    ✭✭✭

It was never my reflection of the game.
    I said the game it self is fine and really enjoyable.
    But it's an mmorpg and intended to be played with other people.
    If people lack the social capabilities of playing with other people, MMORPG's aren't games they should be playing.
    Skyrim and the upcoming singleplayer Elder Scroll game should fit them more appropriately.

Playing an mmorpg as a socially challenged person who only focuses on his/her self and ignoring the community.
    Is like a vegan ordering a hamburger and removing the meat while consuming it.
    Playing an mmorpg as socially challenged person who only focuses on his/her self and ignoring the community.
    Is like buying Lamborghini only to drive 20mphs.
    PLaying an mmorpg as a socially challenged person who only focuses on his/her self and ignoring the community.
    Is like surviving 3 days in a desert with only 1 liters of water but throwing 50% of the water away.

Point being, if you take a solo approach in a mmorpg you're playing the wrong game.
    People have this delusional idea that when they solo play a mmorpg but grind a item set they will have some status but in the end people really don't care what items your character wears and what you've accomplished in-game. People play it escape reality and to participate in a online living and breathing world with people from various countries co-operating with one another to accomplish in game goals.

And yes mmorpg's have solo content, usually the level grind, profession grind and gold farming.
    These are side activities and can even be done grouped.

But in the end it's all about the dungeons, trials and pvp which all require community interaction without you're most likely to fail usually followed by you getting extremely salting blaming your party but not yourself.

And in my past few weeks of playing eso I came to appreciate the hardwork and effort the developers have put in to the game to stimulate community interaction as it was feature lacking at launch way back in 2012. And it's sad to see you ( the community ) just pissing all over it, with your egocentric narrow minded world of warcraft approach. The game lost a huge portion of the player base due to a lack of community interaction, they finally added it and the community it self is destroying it, which is really sad and my experience in the game has only make me want to re-install Skyrim.

I can mod skyrim to make it visually more appealing than even Eso.
    I can mod skyrim to have a ultimate solo immersive experience with tons of replayability.
    I can do whatever I feel like in Skyrim without having to rely on a self centered egocentric community.
    The only downside to skyrim is it's a full fledged solo experience, but after experiencing eso after it's revamp and added content they're literally both solo experiences with 1 having a multiplayer lobby.

Now, I can't emphasize this enough for people who commented on this topic before keep interpreting my arguments and opinions as hate toward the game. The game ( once again ) is fine. I like the game for what it is, I like the lore, I like the visuals, I like world, I like the combat etc. I just hate you, the community for you're pretending you're there, but you're not.
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It was never my reflection of the game.
    I said the game it self is fine and really enjoyable.
    But it's an mmorpg and intended to be played with other people.
    If people lack the social capabilities of playing with other people, MMORPG's aren't games they should be playing.
    Skyrim and the upcoming singleplayer Elder Scroll game should fit them more appropriately.

Playing an mmorpg as a socially challenged person who only focuses on his/her self and ignoring the community.
    Is like a vegan ordering a hamburger and removing the meat while consuming it.
    Playing an mmorpg as socially challenged person who only focuses on his/her self and ignoring the community.
    Is like buying Lamborghini only to drive 20mphs.
    PLaying an mmorpg as a socially challenged person who only focuses on his/her self and ignoring the community.
    Is like surviving 3 days in a desert with only 1 liters of water but throwing 50% of the water away.

Point being, if you take a solo approach in a mmorpg you're playing the wrong game.
    People have this delusional idea that when they solo play a mmorpg but grind a item set they will have some status but in the end people really don't care what items your character wears and what you've accomplished in-game. People play it escape reality and to participate in a online living and breathing world with people from various countries co-operating with one another to accomplish in game goals.

And yes mmorpg's have solo content, usually the level grind, profession grind and gold farming.
    These are side activities and can even be done grouped.

But in the end it's all about the dungeons, trials and pvp which all require community interaction without you're most likely to fail usually followed by you getting extremely salting blaming your party but not yourself.

And in my past few weeks of playing eso I came to appreciate the hardwork and effort the developers have put in to the game to stimulate community interaction as it was feature lacking at launch way back in 2012. And it's sad to see you ( the community ) just pissing all over it, with your egocentric narrow minded world of warcraft approach. The game lost a huge portion of the player base due to a lack of community interaction, they finally added it and the community it self is destroying it, which is really sad and my experience in the game has only make me want to re-install Skyrim.

I can mod skyrim to make it visually more appealing than even Eso.
    I can mod skyrim to have a ultimate solo immersive experience with tons of replayability.
    I can do whatever I feel like in Skyrim without having to rely on a self centered egocentric community.
    The only downside to skyrim is it's a full fledged solo experience, but after experiencing eso after it's revamp and added content they're literally both solo experiences with 1 having a multiplayer lobby.

Now, I can't emphasize this enough for people who commented on this topic before keep interpreting my arguments and opinions as hate toward the game. The game ( once again ) is fine. I like the game for what it is, I like the lore, I like the visuals, I like world, I like the combat etc. I just hate you, the community for you're pretending you're there, but you're not.

So go play Skyrim and quit whining to the community about how terrible we are. Have you nothing better to do with your time?
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dem0n1k wrote: »
    So what sort of community experience where you hoping for?

In my experience, both in games & real life, you will only get something out of being a part of a community if you put an equal effort in to be part of the community.

Not entirely true. I actually prefer soloing in ESO as it's such a pain to interact with anyone on PS4. I've found one guild that does better than any others I've been. Most are just focused on TRADING, PERIOD. You ask in guild chat if anyone wants to group to run a daily or a vet daily, or a trial or sometimes even can someone help me out with so and so boss and it's total silence. Or even ask if anyone NEEDS help with anything it's total silence. Or just to say good night, silence. It's just the stupid CLUNKY PS4 base interface in my opinion that causes the silence as in other games there was a sense of community, ESO not so much however those other games were on PC. I bought a mini keyboard and that makes it easier but if you don't have that it's like you have to do three triple back flips and land on your head to type something out to someone. I understand that ZoS had to probably work with the limitations of a PS4 system but it does suck. Of course there is voice and discord but for me personally I hate those, I do a lot of talking at work and last thing I want to do is talk all evening, and yes it's an obvious solution but not my cup of tea.

My feeling is that since it's not a community game once you run through all the zones and quests unless you PVP then that's it. There's nothing else left except for achievements and fishing. I quit and then come back for the new zones and that's where I'm at now. If there were actual friends in game that you could chat with relatively easy it would be worth the wait to just stay and help them out on things until new releases come out. And I enjoy the game itself actually, it takes a long time to really explore each zone and run every quest and the details are amazing, like just out of Rawalkia there is a covered wagon in a stream with pots and pans strewn everywhere for no particular reason, great details. Just the "community" is lacking at least as far as guilds go. As stated I did find one guild who are the best bunch of people you could ask for and they do try to have community things to do but the interface still makes it difficult.
    Edited by Veinblood1965 on February 19, 2020 6:26PM
  • RABIDxWOLVERINE
    RABIDxWOLVERINE
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what platform you play on but Xbox is quite social, this community is amazing, and I dont see a rapid decline in player base. Maybe this just isnt the game for you... Good luck though
    Rhaegar Gregorson, The Ebonheart Centurion - Imperial Dragonknight
    RABIDxWOLVERINE - Xbox One, NA, Ebonheart Pact

Loreseekers

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!
  • Brandathorbel
    Brandathorbel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do find the community rather odd. Over the past few years i have been in many guilds from trial, social, housing, trading ect. And it is the norm to go through a 3 hour session and only see 4 to 5 lines of chat from all 5 current guilds combined.

Other mmos i have been its almost non stop chatter, people helping and all that but in this one, you ask a simple question, polite and all and it is actually normal to not get a response back from anyone in all guilds.

When you do get a lot of chatter its two people fighting in guild chat that refuse to use the /whisper command
  • CASP3R421
    CASP3R421
    ✭✭✭
    *doesnt like community*

*cries at community on forums*

My Alt is a Mer

Due to the excessive amount of bait that we had to remove, this thread will remain closed
This discussion has been closed.