The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

What is happening with ESO housing?

Elara_Northwind
Elara_Northwind
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
So... I may be taking an 'extended break' from ESO, but many of my very good friends still play, and I have some thoughts :joy:

I just thought that I would post this video here, in case anybody is as passionate about housing in ESO as I have been over the years, and has an interest in this <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9321cuRWScs
Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • Freddycruz89
    Freddycruz89
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the whole video. Agree with many points. Lots of cursing, but understandable when you've experienced the frustration of decorating under the current conditions.

Now, the system is not unviable, it works. The main frustration I believe arises from a seeming lack of response to player feedback on the current conditions. The houses ARE too big for the current slot allowances. The furnishings ARE too demanding to create in game as opossed to buying them with crowns, which are also expensive.

Housing is a big part of the gaming experience for some of us, and from the player side, it seems all the investment is going into combat performance, which we understand is also an issue, but it seems to be getting all the attention causing the rest of the player base to feel unheard and undervalued.

There have been AMAZING additions to the housing system like furniture linking, undo redo, and visitor privileges. We just want to see more of that dedication to the housing community playerbase.

I personally would not say the housing system sucks, that would be a blatant lie as the system is amazing which is what has created the love of the housing community for it, and probably this video response. I hope ZoS can see that our frustration is born of love for an amazing facet of a wonderful game that seems to have been put on the backburner of development while all the other aspects of it are placed under the spotlight.

We know there are limitations to what can be implemented, and we understand we simply cannot have everything we wish for, but we also know there is room to improve upon and different ways to approach a problem. We have seen it with the group finder tool, with the combat balances, why is that not the case for housing? Why the simple response of unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done?

If the community has made it clear that the houses are too big for the current furniture limit, why would they make a literal village home? Are we being listened to? Does our feedback matter? Is housing being given the resources it deserves as a valid portion of interest to the playerbase?

Some people would just argue "oh it's all cosmetic so why does it matter?" It matters because cosmetics are also part of the game, just like combat, just like socializing, just like every other part of the game!

Octavius Maximus, Founder of The Maester' Order
    PS4 NA. Role Player. Housing Fanatic. Part Time Achievement Hunter.
    | Princely Dawnlight Palace |
    Options
  • 1mirg
    1mirg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, i still don't understand why they would limit housing items.

that's like if you bought a house but the bank told you "you can't have more then 10 furniture in this house"
    ┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤ ⅽ[ː̠̈ː̠̈ː̠̈] ͌ ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴
    Options
  • Freddycruz89
    Freddycruz89
    ✭✭✭
    From what we've heard the furniture limiting is tied to performance, which is understandable, but surely it can be worked on just like the other game's systems are being worked on, as opposed to just leaving it for a lost cause.

Compound furnishings like table settings were a great addition to ease the pressure while increasing the furnishing detail acieved in homes. Can we look at more ways to ease the strain like this? Why must it be a hopeless cause? How would players feel if they just left combat as it is? They won't, they're working on it. We just want some of that love given to us too.
    Octavius Maximus, Founder of The Maester' Order
    PS4 NA. Role Player. Housing Fanatic. Part Time Achievement Hunter.
    | Princely Dawnlight Palace |
    Options
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Compound furnishings like table settings were a great addition

I agree, though I still find it not worth it. There are a lot of strange issues with housing. For example the screenshot/loading screen that depicts the Rosy Lion house shows more items than are possible even with an ESO subscription.

Beds need to be usable. Canopy issues need to be fixed.

But will this happen?

Lets just say I'm not holding my breath.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
    Options
  • Langdon64
    Langdon64
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish big houses had the option for big furniture. I would love to do an Alice in Wonderland home with huge furniture, and tiny furniture. I think players could get really creative with a feature like that. I agree that some of the Notable Homes are just too big to furnish completely. Also, being able to mount would make getting around them much faster. Looking at you, Grand Topal...
    Options
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1mirg wrote: »

that's like if you bought a house but the bank told you "you can't have more then 10 furniture in this house"

Technical limitations of consoles and older CPUs. The bank doesn’t have to digitally render your furniture every time you walk into your real life house.

I’m afraid it’s just something we have to deal with until the technology gets better for the consoles (hopefully the upcoming consoles help in this regard) or the devs find a way around it. I’d say if they haven’t yet, they probably won’t. Just got to deal with it I’m afraid.
    Edited by MattT1988 on February 16, 2020 4:22AM
    Options
  • Salvas_Aren
    Salvas_Aren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1mirg wrote: »

They have to limit items because else you can make the clients of your visitors do strange things or crash.

That probably only applies to larger houses, but it makes sense not to allow an inn room to have 700 items like a bigger mansion.
    Options
  • Thokri
    Thokri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not watching 20min video that felt long-winded after 5 seconds.. but housing is kinda useless for most players.

If it did not offer storage space and transmute/craft stations, I would never use or visit them and I suspect there are a lot more people like me than those who like to decorate.

I have free house with storage sitting near entrance, otherwise empty. I have some furnish but I am not going to spend time decorating. Even fishing is more fun.
    If there was option with gold to buy pre-furnised ones or some option that does automaticly some kind of decoration, I would buy it but I would not use crowns for it, nor to buy houses.
    Edited by Thokri on February 16, 2020 6:05AM
    Options
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thokri wrote: »
    Not watching 20min video that felt long-winded after 5 seconds.. but housing is kinda useless for most players.

If it did not offer storage space and transmute/craft stations, I would never use or visit them and I suspect there are a lot more people like me than those who like to decorate.

I have free house with storage sitting near entrance, otherwise empty. I have some furnish but I am not going to spend time decorating. Even fishing is more fun.
    If there was option with gold to buy pre-furnised ones or some option that does automaticly some kind of decoration, I would buy it but I would not use crowns for it, nor to buy houses.

It's definitely not for everyone; there are avid builders out there though that do offer building and design services in the exchange that you buy all the items. Basically they give you a list of furnishings you go out and buy them all place them down and from there they design the house. It's something you can walk into and enjoy visually but overall did not have to spend all the time fiddling with it.

I do disagree that much like outfitting houses play a big role in the games side systems and while there may not be as many "hardcore" house decorators out there I can assure you that atleast 65-70% of the playerbase decorates their own home in such a manner once they get far enough into the game. It's just not lucrative at low levels when leveling and getting gear is your main focus, but once you are sitting on 1000+ of every alchemy reagent, golded BiS gear, and don't like PvP there isn't much to turn to.
    Options
  • ThePlayer
    ThePlayer
    ✭✭✭✭
    They always say that they have memory problems in the game, but they have created a crafting system (for housing) that uses new raw materials that are difficult to find and super expensive in public traders.
    Why didn't they use the same materials or combination of these for housing? I speak of rubedite ingot, rubedo hide, sanded ruby ash and platinum ounce. (I have thousands in the craft space)
    Also because in the advanced levels there are very few pve craft sets and few useful pvp sets to use and zos will never put them in the free zone, otherwise it would not sell the various dlc.
    Edited by ThePlayer on February 16, 2020 11:17AM
    Options
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, Elara, good to see you back (even if only temporarily!). :smile:

Totally agree on house size.

If they can't make the limit higher, they need to make large, but not enormous, houses, but with a 700 limit.

So, for example, Alinor Townhouse (+a basement) sized, but with 700 slots (not 600).

It's no good making more Medium sized houses - just because people may have asked for them - with a Medium (400) sized furnishings limit.

Or Large sized houses, with a Large (600) sized limit.

The entire reason people were asking for Medium sized houses, was so the hoped-for 600 (or even 700!) limit would go further in them.

Not because they just wanted another Medium sized house, with not enough furnishings in it.

Not that Medium sized houses are generally the worst culprits for lack of slots, but still.

Not only that, but when they do make Medium sized houses (or really, any houses), now, they are generally not well laid-out.

Truncated versions, of what should have been far larger houses, are illogical and very unsatisfying.
    Edited by Tigerseye on February 16, 2020 12:31PM
    Options
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've been having the most fun with the Snow Globe, lately.

Medium sized house, with a Large (600) sized furnishing limit.

I would prefer it if it also had a room half way up the tower (there are windows for one, on the outside) and a 700 limit, but it's still far more fun to decorate than most of the others.
    Options
  • darthgummibear_ESO
    darthgummibear_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MattT1988 wrote: »

Technical limitations of consoles and older CPUs. The bank doesn’t have to digitally render your furniture every time you walk into your real life house.

I don't buy this for a second as the reason. If that were the case, people wouldn't be able to enter half the buildings in the game.
    Options
  • jazsper77
    jazsper77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Player who has been with ESO since launch , I’ve never seen the appeal of EDO housing.

1. Functionality- besides as Guild Hall it’s useless.
    a. Can you pick up any daily writs ,Quests,pledges, etc there- NO
    b. Can you turn in any of the above there - NO
    c. Can you list items for sale there -NO
    d. Can you do horse training there- NO
    e. NPC- do we have Bards,Horse trainers,Guards etc in our houses-NO

I could go on and on but I’m sure the point gets across.

No offense to anyone who loves housing but it’s a waste of time and money.
    Their isnt a house in ESO that can compare to anything you can do in Skyrim,FO4,Minecraft and especially WARFRAME.

Warframe Housing Dojo and Ship ( all free also$
    Dojo- multi level fully functional with elevators and instant transport pods.
    Full on Resesrch labs
    Rail System
    Real dueling arenas
    Trading/selling
    Clan Vault

Ship- You can do all functions plus
    1. Pick up and finish all quests, Dailies
    2. . Research, craft, Mods, modify Warframe load out,appearance.
    3. Do all things with your COMBAT PETS
    4. CODEX
    5. LITERALLY have all news-patch notes there to read anytime you want
    6. Market place

On and on and on

That fact that ZOS gets people hooked on housing by planting flowers and hanging pictures is pretty funny. Just like the servers why should they fix housing. Flowers and pictures cost them nothing.

Again just my opinion and I’m happy for all those who find enjoyment out of it.
    Edited by jazsper77 on February 16, 2020 1:01PM
    Options
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't buy this for a second as the reason. If that were the case, people wouldn't be able to enter half the buildings in the game.

Most buildings in the game are decorated very modestly. A couple of major pieces of furniture and one or two objects on a table. Not an elaborate vase with ten kinds of fruit and a fancy alchemy table with fifty different knicknacks on it.
    Options
  • Vaalquar
    Vaalquar
    ✭✭
    I will tell you whats goin on with housing:

They are gonna make much bigger houses.
    They will hide amazing furniture behind crowns
    They will make even bigger houses with same limit.

And most importantly: Do you even have valid internet connection ?
    Give me some Skoomashrooms
    Options
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What I do not understand is the reason for not increasing the cap is server load/memory/whatever but this apparently is fine IF you subscribe to ESO+.

If the limit was such an issue, why can it be doubled if someone subscribes? What if all players did? How would they cope?

Also, I very much like se of the solutions proposed, such as inside & outside being separate instances, groups of items counting as one slot, and having more medium sized houses with more slots.

And for those that don’t do housing; fine, but do you need to come on here to be disparaging? I don’t like battlegrounds, but managed to not read/post on threads about them, as I know others love them. 🙂
    Options
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That’s the reason the devs gave. If you don’t believe them that’s your problem. Wont change anything.
    Options
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    jazsper77 wrote: »
    As a Player who has been with ESO since launch , I’ve never seen the appeal of EDO housing.

1. Functionality- besides as Guild Hall it’s useless.
    a. Can you pick up any daily writs ,Quests,pledges, etc there- NO
    b. Can you turn in any of the above there - NO
    c. Can you list items for sale there -NO
    d. Can you do horse training there- NO
    e. NPC- do we have Bards,Horse trainers,Guards etc in our houses-NO

I could go on and on but I’m sure the point gets across.

No offense to anyone who loves housing but it’s a waste of time and money.
    Their isnt a house in ESO that can compare to anything you can do in Skyrim,FO4,Minecraft and especially WARFRAME.

Warframe Housing Dojo and Ship ( all free also$
    Dojo- multi level fully functional with elevators and instant transport pods.
    Full on Resesrch labs
    Rail System
    Real dueling arenas
    Trading/selling
    Clan Vault

Ship- You can do all functions plus
    1. Pick up and finish all quests, Dailies
    2. . Research, craft, Mods, modify Warframe load out,appearance.
    3. Do all things with your COMBAT PETS
    4. CODEX
    5. LITERALLY have all news-patch notes there to read anytime you want
    6. Market place

On and on and on

That fact that ZOS gets people hooked on housing by planting flowers and hanging pictures is pretty funny. Just like the servers why should they fix housing. Flowers and pictures cost them nothing.

Again just my opinion and I’m happy for all those who find enjoyment out of it.

People like interior design - nothing wrong with that.

However, I agree that houses, desperately, need more functionality.

At the moment, the only really unique functionality of housing is set stations.

Which, ironically, ruin housing, due to swallowing up almost all the slots in even a Notable/Manor.

Problem is, you have people panicking that introducing more housing functionality will mean cities are suddenly empty...

I very much doubt that would be the case, though.

As even if they were more functional than they currently are, they would still be no more functional than a decently laid-out city.

Not to mention that the Banker NPC (if it was enabled to allow you to list stuff, on guild stores) would, presumably, be available anywhere; not just in your houses?

So, unless you were also into "planting flowers and hanging pictures", you still probably wouldn't bother with housing, just because you could now list stuff, take/hand in writs and pledges and visit the stablemaster, there.

Enabling all that would just make people, who already want to do housing, not be at such a loading screen disadvantage, relative to the people who don't (as they currently are).

So, it would, basically, just level up housing people to the same level as everyone else, convenience-wise, rather than them being below them.

Which would seem sensible.

Introducing quests, especially quests that were exclusive to housing, would obviously be a bit of a game changer though.

In my opinion, that would be a great idea. :smile:

However, at that point it could, finally, be (logically) argued that it might make housing feel less optional and might empty cities a little...

Still think it should happen, though, personally.

Quests, trials and dungeons empty cities, too, after all.

So, if you are worried about that, should probably just pay people to hang around chatting, in Alinor...
    Edited by Tigerseye on February 16, 2020 1:58PM
    Options
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hallothiel wrote: »
    What I do not understand is the reason for not increasing the cap is server load/memory/whatever but this apparently is fine IF you subscribe to ESO+.

If the limit was such an issue, why can it be doubled if someone subscribes? What if all players did? How would they cope?

I think the idea is that they can't increase it beyond 700 (without it causing issues) and they need that 700 limit to be exclusive to ESO+, to encourage more people to sub.

Not that increasing it beyond 350 is an issue, per se.

And for those that don’t do housing; fine, but do you need to come on here to be disparaging? I don’t like battlegrounds, but managed to not read/post on threads about them, as I know others love them. 🙂

Yeah, I agree, although I'm used to it, at this point.

Think most housing people are.

Edited by Tigerseye on February 16, 2020 2:13PM
    Options
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be a bad business decision to not give housing some attention and improvements at some point. Housing devotees are a significant revenue stream. They know that people will buy the crown exclusive homes and furnishing packs. They know you guys are buying from the crown store on a regular basis while you create your masterpieces. They know that every one of you is an ESO+ subscriber for the double furniture slots if nothing else.

Now I agree that combat and performance need to be the priority right now because they’ve put it off for so long. It’s so broken that it had driven many people away from the game altogether. They really needed to have taken it more seriously 3-4 years ago instead of focusing exclusively on new content.

But a lot of the money for those improvements has come from the housing community. You guys need some love too.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    Options
  • DJfriede
    DJfriede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please support my bright idea: Implement an item limit of 700 in Cyrodiil. Because, you know, it helps with performance.

(ZOS, contact me for further information and my salary. Thanks.)
    Options
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I severely disagree with the elitism that is "The people buying those large expensive houses are not housing people." Why? What constitutes a housing person? 3 Fully decorated houses? People who have 5 fully decorated Estates? People who enter competitions? That's just as disgusting a statement as people who say "Oh you aren't 810 so you can't be good yet." "Oh you aren't Rank 50 in PvP yet how sad." This is the kind of crap I really don't like seeing in something as far and wide creative as the housing system. If someone wants to spend $100+ on a in-game house to have it to show off to their friends then that's their business but don't go degrading them for it simply because they don't do what you would with it or to the same extreme.

On a lighter note in reference to Elara's video and what I personally have thoughts on.

Things I think that are far more manageable on Zenimax's end without knowing their internal structure. (Elara claims they need to hire people who just do housing but we have zero idea if they have already done that. It's not something they would discuss with the general public as knowing the housing community I would very much expect that group of employees to immediately be assaulted with requests and demands.)
    1. Housing Streams need to be a thing; and they need to bring more of the housing developers on. More importantly we need not house tours but QA's, they need to actively hear thatif we can't increase the furnishing limit then what we would like to see in the form of furniture. To start with I'd love some not-crown-exclusive window fixtures that I don't have to mess with extensively.
    2. Furniture Showcases of upcoming objects would be far more welcome than housing tours as one we get to see all the time in PTS and in-game, we can house tour whenever we want. We have zero information outside of datamined objects of what we might get come a new chapter/zone DLC.
    3. Materials are far out of touch for what they give; I disagree that the plans are too sparse as there does need to be a market of demand in an MMO but man is it silly that this https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/murkmire-wall-straight/ takes one more heartwood than this https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/high-elf-armchair-backless-polished/ . Plans need to make sense when accounting for what they are getting and how many materials it costs; a wall should not cost me one more heartwood than a chair that's 1/10th it's size. (Elara Says This And I Agree).
    4. Prices are far too high for what they could be among the micro transaction route. I understand that each house requires digital space and that can be pricey but I refuse to believe that paying $140 for an estate is what it costs to host that estate. I'm not a server administrator or anything but I've seen people host 100 gig+ minecraft servers for 20 bucks a month. The same goes for the furniture as in my opinion ZOS should be far more predatory in that aspect of the game; it should appeal to me to just... spend 5000 crowns to fully furnish my house. Instead it's 5000 crowns for maybe 100 items if I'm stingy on what I buy. 2-3 furnishings If I'm going for my aesthetic "ideal"; statues namely. (Elara Says This And I Agree).
    5. Instead of asking for smaller houses I would instead like to just see larger furnishings. Maybe we start seeing "sets" of pre-made tables and chairs situated around each other; perhaps we see pre-decorated walls accents to cut costs on what I need to use to make my wall look nice. I personally have thoroughly enjoyed using Redguard and Elsweyr furniture to meet my wall accent demands and it's worked nicely for me. My main problem is courtyards always look so same-y as we don't have a variety of leaves on large trees and many of them are extremely expensive (hello 20k gold autumn tree in Wayrest yeah I'm talking about you.) Many more are crown only.

Anyhow thanks Elara for contributing your thoughts, continue enjoying your break.
    Options
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Consoles are the reason for the limits. If you've ever had to submit a ticket to get your character out of a house because he crashes every time it loads, then you've probably found another reason.

Personally I wouldn't mind PC players getting bigger housing limits but I'm sure most console players would feel like second class citizens if that were the case.
    Options
  • Vanos444
    Vanos444
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO housing...
    giphy.gif
    Options
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

there is a fairly simple way to increase housing limits without impacting performance. implement loading screens. you know how when you enter a house there is usually a mini loading screen and in those types of houses, you can place furniture in a way that would show through the walls.. but does not, because its technically not the same instance? make them TRUE loading screens, and TRUE separate instances - each with its own furnishing limit.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
    Options
  • xXMeowMeowXx
    xXMeowMeowXx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Elara_Northwind and anybody else if you don’t mind, I would appreciate some decorating ideas for the ‘ MOONMIRTH HOUSE ‘

It is very narrow, so this one is a bit trickier for me. Thnx :)

Not trying to derail in anyway. Just sad to hear you maybe leaving. Especially, since you really helped pushing to make housing better on eso for a very long time.
    Edited by xXMeowMeowXx on February 16, 2020 10:11PM
    Options
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PizzaCat82 wrote: »
    Consoles are the reason for the limits. If you've ever had to submit a ticket to get your character out of a house because he crashes every time it loads, then you've probably found another reason.

Personally I wouldn't mind PC players getting bigger housing limits but I'm sure most console players would feel like second class citizens if that were the case.

*and low end PC’s. Don’t heap this all on consoles.
    Options
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel, personally, like ZOS are just not listening to the housing community whatsoever. Yes I decided to 'take a break' but I feel so passionately about the housing peeps, and am obviously in daily contact with many of them, because they are my online family, as I have said before, and I do want to return to the game one day possibly, I love this stupid game, man haha! :joy: And seeing people upset about it is really not cool!

@Tigerseye is like the literal voice of reason, everything she says is what I would want to say but a million times better!

I think everybody has accepted that the item limit is not being increased, we accepted that when we were told a year ago... It's not even about the limit right now, it's about the houses that have that limit! You give us houses that are really huge, and when we say 'ZOS we want medium homes!' you give us another large home, but with 400 items! Like 'here! You wanted a medium home yes??? This home has 400 items, so obviously it is medium, yesssss?!?!' Noooo! It's not! Your item limits do not determine the sizes of your homes! The space does! And so really, your clockwork house was the only 700 item house you did right, work with that! That was the only huge house that is acceptable for its limit, weirdly also one of the most expensive... Not sure why...? Why?

@BomblePants weirdly for a Saturday night I wasn't drunk, but I have the flu and was on all kinds of medication, so yeah, I was probably rather blotted, honestly, but not from booze haha! :joy:

@Reverb exactly! The housing people (I hate saying that because I feel like most people are housing people?? You got a house? You are a housing person, yes? No need for an 'us vs them' mentality here, everybody has a deep passion for the game, or they wouldn't be on the forums talking about it) spend allot of money in the game and obviously do pay the bill for other areas, imo!

@bearbelly :joy:<3<3

@Kittytravel I am really very sorry if it came across that way and that is not how I meant it at all! I just meant that although, of course, people who are into housing buy the houses, because that is a no brainer, ofc they do haha! But they are fussier! They buy houses that they love! But people who are trying to show off will buy all and any house. Mostly, people who care about housing will buy what they love, which is generally a pretty shared opinion, we aren't all the same but we all see creative potential! But things that are overpriced and crap and defy all that we are standing for get purchased by everybody! And again, I am not dissing these people! They can spend their money however they please! It is nobody elses business what somebody decides to spent their money on, but I wont say that it doesn't affect everybody and the entire game, because it does! When some people are willing to fork out crazy money for homes that cannot be decorated, of course that affects the community! Greatly actually!

I was looking for other games today with housing, and 2 people over 4 pages mentioned eso, which surprised me, I expected more, but one said it was unique but expensive, yes, it is incredibly unique, and fun, and its why we fight for it, because we have such a passion for this game, the other was laughing a how people spend £150 on a pixel house. I laughed too, because it IS ridiculous! And they didn't even mention the cost of furnishings! Why are these houses so expensive? I would like a reason? Because, no offence, most are a model that already exists, and they just copy it... Why are we willing to spend £150 on that? I've done it myself more than once! I bought Mathiisen furnished with crowns because I thought I could use that stuff, not even realising the furnished version is a room full of about 20 beds and 30 tables... Thats another thing which I won't go into haha! :joy:

Honestly, my biggest gripe isn't even about the pretty baubles, its about functionality. If houses were more functional, more people would care. I would love more baubles if and when I return, but I personally feel like function is more important. It will make more people care and it would add so much to the game, but again, no changes in a year.

I am honestly so sad that no positive changes were mentioned, or that there was zero representation once again for housing. Yes, there are other areas of the game that need addressing, we get that, because everybody loves the game so much, and everybody wants other aspects to be wonderful too, it's not like housing people are all stood on a hill crying and not doing anything else! We do your other content! I have good friends who are in end game pve and pvp, and they like houses haha :joy: I am both a flawless conqueror and a former empress, I did both your pvp and your pve content extensively over the last few years, ZOS! You are the eso gods so just go and check mine and other housing peoples history! Tezzer was in end game trials too, look her up! It's not like I don't give two s**** about your other things too!

I don't say this to be a show off, I would never do that in a million years, I only tell you this so that you know that housing people do not just do housing, we aren't some weirdo group that do nothing else! We HAVE to do your other content to get furnishings. We do care about the game as a whole, and even though people hated your other changes, at least you tried to make them in the other areas of the game... A year with no changes to housing is just a kick in the teeth to the people who probably spend the most amount of money in your game. I am really sad that you neglected to make any changes in an entire year to an aspect of the game that YOU decided to implement. Yes, you are apparently working on it, but to make no changes whatsoever for an entire year, other than give even more homes that are too big, and basically tell us that you don't even know what is in the crown store??? We didn't even get any new furnishings with southern Elsweyr! it's very sad, really. I am so sad to see this.
    Edited by Elara_Northwind on February 16, 2020 11:11PM
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
    Options
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I always looked at housing differently from the way most people do, because IMHO, housing in ESO is primarily for the player that owns it. In Archeage, you set down a housing base in a specific location on the map in the game. You build the house and you furnish the house and decorate the house, and it is always there for all to see as they happen to come past your home. It becomes part of the game, so to speak.

ESO uses Instanced housing. Nobody can see what you have done as they just pass by the " house ". All they see is a front door. They can't just come inside to see what you have done for the place. All that decorating is primarily just for you - and on occasion you invite specific people to come in and see what you have done.

So I don't look at the housing issue in the same mindset that I do in AA. In AA I want to show off my house(s) and make them look cool. In ESO there is really nothing to show off since most people will never see them. The houses I bought in ESO (and I have about 10 or 12) were all bought with in-game gold except for one. I bought the island because crowns were on sale and it was just TOO good looking. Do I furnish all the houses? Yes. To a certain extent. I like to make them feel "homey" so they have some seating and some food and drink and fireplaces and lighting etc, for the flavor and immersion of the game.

But that actually is not why I bought them.

Housing is account wide and free teleport into zones that a character may not have gone into before. This makes the houses extremely useful, especially for events, when I use a new character and don't want to have to travel through zones for an hour just to get to a wayshrine I want access to. So I went through all the small and medium houses, checked the zones they are in, and bought specific homes - only one house in any zone. I also got all the el cheapo apartments from DLCs, which a couple cost less than 1k gold.

The only thing I am disappointed in is that they don't want to create any new small or medium sized houses anymore. Everything new has a well over 10k crown price tag and is so huge I would not want to own it in the first place. I don't want to have to go on a quest through my house to find the front door.

So, the limited number of items does not really bother me. I can put enough stuff in to make the place "feel" like a home. They are nothing to write home about, but they are good enough for me.

Which, in ESO, is pretty much all that matters since no one else can see them anyway.

IMHO
    Options