The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What is happening with ESO housing?

• Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would like houses to be more interactive amongst the players. For example an option to "set your house as public" and everyone (not just friends and guildies) who walks to the house gate on the map can interact with the door and select either "preview home" (or enter home if house is owned) either "visit a player's house" and it opens a list with all the players that have that house and have set it as public.

this comes obviously with features like kick/ban player out of house, ignored players can't enter by default. And checkbox "automatically set house as not public when i log out" and everyone inside who is a visitor gets timer to leave
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At this point, we all need to come to terms with the item limits remaining what they are and continue to provide feedback on ways ZOS can improve housing overall within those limits. They've all been said many times:

-more reasonable-sized homes with the 700 limit (and more reasonable-sized homes at any limit, for that matter)
    -more clutter/filled/grouped items
    -more building blocks/structures

I'd also like to see more homes available for gold. As well as various-sized homes for various budgets. Not all of us can afford 12-15k crowns for a new house, and I think it only fair that a few are more moderately priced. Of course, so far, that has meant medium homes with a medium item-limit, with the exception of the snow globe, which was a rather small large home (or very over-sized medium) with the 600 item-limit, but a medium price point. ZOS has shown that they are willing to price CS-exclusive homes based on actual size and not the item limit - such as the aforementioned snow globe, as well as Tel Galen, which is rather small for a notable, but still has the 700 item limit, but an 8k price tag.
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xbobx15 wrote: »
    and yet there is no excuse to not raise the limit of medium and large homes to 700 then.

I admittedly hadn't thought about this and I would be curious to see a dev respond to it @ZOS_CullenLee
    Is there any reason for ESO+ only (of course so that you guys can continue making profits) that Large homes couldn't have 700 slots, Medium have 600, Small at 400, Apartment at 200, and Inns at 100 for example?
    Putting this here in case it looks confusing.
    Non ESO+/ESO+ Slots
    Inn Room: 15/100
    Apartment: 50/200
    Small: 100/400
    Medium: 200/600
    Large: 300/700
    Estate: 350/700

I'm also going to state that the current player-limit restrictions would remain the same as they have already said that it negatively impacts performance when many people are in the same home. It also wouldn't affect any of the other categories outside of Traditional Furnishings. But yeah I'm just curious really and I wouldn't mind seeing this answered.
  • TheRealCherokeee3
    TheRealCherokeee3
    ✭✭✭
    barney2525 wrote: »
    I guess I always looked at housing differently from the way most people do, because IMHO, housing in ESO is primarily for the player that owns it. In Archeage, you set down a housing base in a specific location on the map in the game. You build the house and you furnish the house and decorate the house, and it is always there for all to see as they happen to come past your home. It becomes part of the game, so to speak.

ESO uses Instanced housing. Nobody can see what you have done as they just pass by the " house ". All they see is a front door. They can't just come inside to see what you have done for the place. All that decorating is primarily just for you - and on occasion you invite specific people to come in and see what you have done.

So I don't look at the housing issue in the same mindset that I do in AA. In AA I want to show off my house(s) and make them look cool. In ESO there is really nothing to show off since most people will never see them. The houses I bought in ESO (and I have about 10 or 12) were all bought with in-game gold except for one. I bought the island because crowns were on sale and it was just TOO good looking. Do I furnish all the houses? Yes. To a certain extent. I like to make them feel "homey" so they have some seating and some food and drink and fireplaces and lighting etc, for the flavor and immersion of the game.

But that actually is not why I bought them.

Housing is account wide and free teleport into zones that a character may not have gone into before. This makes the houses extremely useful, especially for events, when I use a new character and don't want to have to travel through zones for an hour just to get to a wayshrine I want access to. So I went through all the small and medium houses, checked the zones they are in, and bought specific homes - only one house in any zone. I also got all the el cheapo apartments from DLCs, which a couple cost less than 1k gold.

The only thing I am disappointed in is that they don't want to create any new small or medium sized houses anymore. Everything new has a well over 10k crown price tag and is so huge I would not want to own it in the first place. I don't want to have to go on a quest through my house to find the front door.

So, the limited number of items does not really bother me. I can put enough stuff in to make the place "feel" like a home. They are nothing to write home about, but they are good enough for me.

Which, in ESO, is pretty much all that matters since no one else can see them anyway.

IMHO

I absolutely love the idea of housing existing in the active landscape of the average player! Yes, it is true houses often are a gold sink, impractical and primarily for the player. All that being said...I still have flashes of anticipation and excitement in considering what tweaks I may make to my main home. Being a graphic artist, housing has been a wonderful and welcome change to the sweaty meta chasing and mind numbing mat farming day in day out. I love carrying through on a theme and making it shine (quite literally shine in the case of my Orbservatory). To me the biggest downside is that barring posting your creation on forums, ESO Fashion, or inviting specific players, your art is largely isolated. I would love if ZOS did a similar setup to this Archeage game...but I'm sure that's far beyond the limited engine's capabilities.
  • ZOS_FalcoYamaoka
    Greetings,

Some posts have been removed for violating our community rules around trolling/ baiting. Please keep your conversations civil and on topic.
    Staff Post
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    At this point, we all need to come to terms with the item limits remaining what they are and continue to provide feedback on ways ZOS can improve housing overall within those limits. They've all been said many times:

-more reasonable-sized homes with the 700 limit (and more reasonable-sized homes at any limit, for that matter)
    -more clutter/filled/grouped items
    -more building blocks/structures

I'd also like to see more homes available for gold. As well as various-sized homes for various budgets. Not all of us can afford 12-15k crowns for a new house, and I think it only fair that a few are more moderately priced. Of course, so far, that has meant medium homes with a medium item-limit, with the exception of the snow globe, which was a rather small large home (or very over-sized medium) with the 600 item-limit, but a medium price point. ZOS has shown that they are willing to price CS-exclusive homes based on actual size and not the item limit - such as the aforementioned snow globe, as well as Tel Galen, which is rather small for a notable, but still has the 700 item limit, but an 8k price tag.

Yeah, I would describe the Snow Globe as medium-sized.

Its interior is smaller than both Ald Velothi and Grymharth's Woe, but its exterior is larger than Ald Velothi (and Grymharth's doesn't have an exterior!), so I would say it's medium sized, overall.

Its Crown price also correlates with the Medium price bracket - it is the same price as Velothi Reverie.

Even though it is placed in the Large home category, as ZOS categorise home sizes in terms of slots, for some reason, as opposed to their physical size:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YBf5fghDWFiZbLgVpmLemhcieKP-cojDojItGNpWgEU/edit#gid=0

It was a breath of fresh (not to mention cold!) air and it is a lot of fun to decorate, especially for the detail oriented.

Only way it could have been improved, in my opinion, would have been to put a large room half way up the tower (to match the windows outside) and make it 700 slots; not 600.

Other than that, very nice house, with a generous limit.

We need more that follow this kind of generous-slots-for-the-size pattern and ideally, at least some of them should be gold purchasable.

Yes, the Snow Globe was Crown-only, which isn't ideal, but at least it was a (relatively) reasonable Crown price, compared with most Crown-only houses and had the extra slots included in that price.

Compare that with Lucky Cat Landing, which is back to the Medium sized, with a Medium 400 slot limit, is also Crown only (and slightly more expensive!) and has a horrible layout.

We seem to be in danger of going backwards, here, not forwards...
    Edited by Tigerseye on February 18, 2020 8:48PM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Really, what we need is more
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    PizzaCat82 wrote: »
    Consoles are the reason for the limits. If you've ever had to submit a ticket to get your character out of a house because he crashes every time it loads, then you've probably found another reason.

Personally I wouldn't mind PC players getting bigger housing limits but I'm sure most console players would feel like second class citizens if that were the case.

Console graphics are already downgraded to level the performance field. The furnishing limit is an arbitrary estimation number. Think about it. That one microscopic fork takes as much limit space as the big, lightning-spewing Kaalgrontiid statue. What do you think causes more stress? It's obvious the system is not fine-tuned for performance, console or PC.

That is one thing that always frustrated me about eso housing, not the item limit itself so much as how lazy it’s implementation was, putting items of all sizes into one category. (This also goes for house size categories too btw, with such variation in house size, some in the same category make no sense at all, there should be a category in between medium and large, and one that surpasses notable, which ZOS could call ‘unusable’ which is exactly what they are when they claim that they can’t increase the limit, but still release a house that size anyway. If the limit can’t be increased then homes that fit that limit should be released, that would probably stop so many people getting frustrated!!)

I got a little derailed there haha! 😂 but yes, I conducted and recorded an experiment a while ago, placing 700 large animated objects in a house, and 700 bowls and knives and things in another. Admittedly, in the house with 700 animated objects strange things occurred 😂 but in the house with 700 small basic items, I had 100 FPS...

There could easily be a higher item limit in a sense, if item limits were set per category, for instance, a set limit for the tiny items, another for medium items, another for the big animated items... because I could have had double the amount of bowls in that second house and still would probably have had zero issues.

Or a budget mechanic. Fork costs one slot, Kaalgrontiid statue 10. 1000 slots in total.
    There are ways to fine-tune furnishing for sure. Maybe the upcoming performance improvements allow us to get just a couple more slots, that's a thought we should bring up to ZOS.

I agree, in theory, although I would be slightly worried that all my braziers, in Princely Dawnlight, would exceed the 1000 limit, on their own... :lol:

I think, if they did this, they would have to up the limit by quite a lot more than that.

As, in a 1 - 10 system, most things would (presumably) suddenly be in the 4, 5, or 6 category; not in the 1 or 2 category.

So, you would have to have an upper limit of 3,500 for it to correlate.

Or whatever category the average sized furnishing fell into, multiplied by 700.
    Edited by Tigerseye on February 18, 2020 9:02PM