Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Looking for Healer Tips

RaptorRodeoGod
RaptorRodeoGod
✭✭✭✭✭
I've recently decided to try out healing, as I have not really done it before, and I want to try something different from the DPS role. I was hoping I could get some advice on how to play a healer. I think I understand what sets should be used and why, I'm looking more for tips & tricks for being successful.

I have a couple questions specifically, but more advice would be fantastic!

1) Which skills would be considered more "flex" skills - and why should I pick one over another for a specific situation?
2) To go along with that, which skills, besides Combat Prayer and healing springs, are mandatory, and why?
3) How often should skills like shards and/or orbs be cast?
4) What are the pros and cons to each class for healing?
Edited by RaptorRodeoGod on March 6, 2019 11:49AM
Add a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
---
Veteran players have been alienated and disengaged from Overland since One Tamriel, due to the lack of difficulty, and pushed into dungeons and trials; the minority of content in the Elder Scrolls Online. We can't take the repetition anymore, fix Overland engagement for Vet players. I don't even care if it's not combat related anymore, just make Overland engaging again.
---
Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
  • Kraynic
    Kraynic
    ✭✭
    The horrible thing about healing is that it is possibly the most variable role with respect to skills you might want. In dungeons, things don't live long enough to be able to effectively use some things you can use in trials. You may very well have a different skill set for trash than for bosses when it comes to trials.

For me, it comes down to this. Which healing abilities do you NEED for the group and content? Once you have that figured out, then figure out what self and group buffs you can bring that aren't being supplied by anyone else. After that, you see what you can fill in for utility abilities like dispels, shards/orbs for resource regen, resistance debuffs, damage reduction (group buff or enemy debuff), and leech effects.

After all that, you may throw in a DoT and/or AoE so you can feel like you are helping kill stuff.

A lot will also depend on what type of groups you are running with. If you are running with an optimized and organized group, you will set up a different way than with a social group with mixed levels of optimization.

I am pretty certain the only skills on my templar that are absolutely set and are always included between different group content I have run is Healing Springs, Breath of Life, and Solar Prison. I usually run resto/destro, but have run dual resto staves to pack in every heal possible for groups that required that sort of play. You just have to tailor what you have on your bars to your group's needs.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So that we can tailor replies to your needs, @RaptorRodeoGod, what types of content do you want to heal in?

The above reply asks you that also to a certain extent ...
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You are going to get various differing viewpoints but ill shed some insight from my experience.

1) this varies wildly depending on content and group makeup. For example, when you become more experienced at cp cap doing vet hm dungeons, heavy sustain utility becomes far less important, so skills like orbs / shards, and ele drain become less desirable compared to skills that will contribute to clear speed and overall group damage. Optimized dps and tank builds rarely require sustain utiltiy as fights in 4 man content are far shorter. Trials on the other hand generally require full support utility accross the board. The flexible slots in this regard boil down to who is covering what buffs etc etc.

2) again depending on content and group comp the answer will vary. If you are healing 2 Nb damage dealers, combat prayer becomes less influential. Springs imho is only really mandatory in trials. Lighter, less rigid healing options are more than adequate for 4 man content. A charged lightning staff with wall of elements is generally a ln attractive healer tool for off balance uptime. An emergency burst heal, triage healing (hots, amd cheaper instant heals) and then eithet sustain utility if the group needs it or additional damage is the group is well built.

3) orbs / shards have a 30 sec synergy use cool down. Magplar dps usually run shards for aoe regardless and orbs should be thrown out accordingly around that 30 sec time.

An important note on orbs vs shards - shards can be activated by a single user per each shard cast, so its reach is more limited as far as targets go since you have to suspend a generous time of healing to provide the synergy to multiple targets whereas multiple orbs can be sent out while you can continue dpsing or healing. Shards are fast and accurate in placement vs orbs being much slower.

4) and this here is the motherlode question and the one question that tends to cause the most discourse between players. Whenever this question is posed, the responses are usually framed in a manner that has every non templar healer having to defend themselves, which is very disingenuous and misleading.

Just to get a few objective facrs out of the way. Healing throughput (hps) is relatively matched between all 5 healers even whem considering access to major and minor mending at the class available level. And the unique advantage that templar has is the access of an additional synergy for allies to use via puirfy. The shards vs orbs is a pro con and not necessarily absent when no templar healer is present. Nbs and DKs are the only 2 that are short a single synergy beyond orbs for allies. Sorcs have liquid lightning and wardens have their hippie aoe ***.

As for some defining playstyle characteristics. Dks have access to major mending via a group wide damage shield. The issue is that this shield can cause issues for dk tanks who generally have a stronger version. Its minor and is blown out of proportion imo but it should be noted. They have a good triage heal option in cuaterize and ash cloud. Their burst heal is very potent and cheap but is a bit slower and requires a hostile target. Both cauterize and obsidian shard can easily crit for over 15k the later potentially twice that.

Sorcs' access to a very strong instant burst heal come with the caveat of having to manage a specifc pet (which has gotten MUCH easier as of late) and must commit 2 bar slots for it. Outside of that, their healing is standard as most, with mutagen / springs and the usual loadout of utiltiy or dps and combat prayer. As mentioned above they can provide a synergy via liquid lightning (when dps sorcs arent present, but this is similar to magplar and shards). They and wardens share one unique perk in that they can provide minor intellect to allies. Something of note that is more common in 4 man content is that sorcs have exclusive access to providing a major berserk synergy to an ally via the atro ultimate, a nice perk for shorter boss fights.

Wardens are generally considered the next best healer to templars, but this is more of a perception thing based on wardens being the first classes added post launch and having a real "dedicating healing tree" (No, templars restoring light skill line is not). In actuality they are great healers just like the rest. One unique aspect to wardens based on ZOS' intention is delayed potency. For healers this means smart use of their aoe heal that has a delayed burst mechanic. Outside of that, most of wardens tools are aimed or conal, they have no 360 smart heal. They dont have as potent of a massive burst heal so postioning and preemptive healing is key. They, like sorcs, can provide minor intellect via a conal heal, which also provides minor endurance.

Templars, for the longest time, believed to be the intended exclusive healer of eso (for good if completely unbalanced reasons) have a lot going for them. Breath of life, while more expensive than most burst heals, and not a 360 smart heal, quick and reliable. Aoe puirfy is an additional synergy to their kit that most other healers cant really meet unless they dip into other less useful undaunted skills. And while the purify itslef isnt mandatory for most end game pve encounters, it is much easier to use than the pvp skill alternative purge, which is very expensive while more expedient in its effect. Templars have innate access to minor mending and are overall relatively straightforward. I would say from experience. they are the simplest of healers to play well mechanically. For less heay duty healing like for man vets, jabs and shards is nice aoe along side the expected wall of elements.

NBs have access to the single most powerful burst heal in the game full stop - healthy offering. The caveat here is this heal comes with a cost to the casters hp. In actuality, this price is borderline negligible (in pve) as the incoming hps completely overpowers the health dot even at 6 stacks. This ability gives NBs minor mending with near 100 percent uptime. Couple this with passives that increase healing done by 3 percent per siphon skill slotted. its easy to reach a base 9 percent increase from that alone. Once upon a time, NBs game was damage while healing. That has mostly been removed unfortunately, but does still remain in a lesser fashion. Nbs have a single target spammable, funnel health, that hits around 8 or 9k and nearly 60 percent of that (50% without healing modifiers) will tick on allies as a hot every 2 seconds. Combine that with springs / mutagen and path and you have plenty of rolling hots and a pocket burst heal to cover any needs. Nbs also have very good ult gen with potion use catalyst passive (the transfer passive also grants ult gen, but this unique perk is shared with other classes in other ways). ultimates like soul siphon are group wipe savers but rarely needed, more of a pvp boon. Since it provides a fat burst, a fat hot and major vitality to recipients.

Long post and i could have gone into more detail but ill stop it there.
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tips so far everyone!

@Taleof2Cities , I'm thinking I'd like to start off with dungeon content to get the hang of things, but I'd eventually like to heal trials.

The DK healer sounds pretty neat. Right now I'm looking for something to practice with until Elsweyr is released; I'm very interested in making a Necromancer healer.

It sounds like to be a healer, you'd have to know your group's capabilities well. How would one prepare for a PUG dungeon run through compared to running a dungeon with an organized group?
    Add a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Veteran players have been alienated and disengaged from Overland since One Tamriel, due to the lack of difficulty, and pushed into dungeons and trials; the minority of content in the Elder Scrolls Online. We can't take the repetition anymore, fix Overland engagement for Vet players. I don't even care if it's not combat related anymore, just make Overland engaging again.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orbs have a 20s cooldown, so try send out enough for your whole group just past this cooldown. It’s fine if you end up doing it at 21-24s, just make sure it’s not at 18-19s or people will only be able to use every other wave of orbs.

One convenient way to time this is by using Elemental Drain (which is one of the most important skills for a healer to have). Ele Drain lasts 24s, and can be used as a reminder for when to throw orbs.

Honestly though, for 4 man content, orbs are often overkill if you are a Templar. You should be throwing shards every 8s, which means that each of the 3 people in your group can get synergize them every 24s. And orbs and shards share the same synergy cooldown. It’s really more for trials, with larger groups, where orbs become necessary.

I mentioned Ele Drain above, but I want to emphasize it again. Use this skill, or one of the other sources of Minor Magickasteal (restoring aura or siphon spirit). This gives back 300 magicka per second to everyone in your group, which is much more than orbs or shards can provide, and you only have to cast it once to apply to everyone.

Other than that, group buffing skills like Aggressive Warhorn and Combat Prayer are nice to have. And you can pick any 2-3 pure healing abilities to fit your play style (springs, rapid regen, breath of life, extended ritual, etc.)
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... How would one prepare for a PUG dungeon run through compared to running a dungeon with an organized group?

My templar healer is set up normally to run solo or pug groups. Pugs mean your group will not stack in any sort of position or healer friendly manner nor is their dps generally high - those two factors mean Combat Prayer is a waste. You cannot count on a tank holding a tight group inside your dd's AoE killing zones - so you need to contribute more dps (Blockade, Shards, Reflective Light, Sweeps). Sometimes you get fake tanks - so you need to be able to take a boss in the face until it dies or switches aggro (Channel Focus + Sweeps).

She runs resto/destro wearing Seducer, Rattlecage, Earthgore.
    Resto:
    Extended Ritual for HoT + purge. Big radius.
    Channel Focus for defense, mag sustain.
    Mutagen for HoT.
    Healing Springs for AoE reactive and proactive heals.
    BoL for emergency burst - rarely used but can be critical with unpredictable pugs.

Destro:
    EleDrain for debuff, sustain.
    Shards for sustain, dps.
    Blockade for off balance, dps.
    Reflective Light for hard-hitting range, snare, group minor sorcery.
    Sweeps for when foes are close or boss is in your face - even as you strafe walk the boss back to the tank.

Her ulitmate choice is debatable but she double slots the MG ultimate - good passives and helps with dps.

That all said, I would definitely work up and have ready the following additional skills that can be slotted in when/if needed: Orbs, Purifying Light, Radiant Glory, Combat Prayer, Reviving Barrier (Alliance skill).

PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the tips so far everyone!

@Taleof2Cities , I'm thinking I'd like to start off with dungeon content to get the hang of things, but I'd eventually like to heal trials.

The DK healer sounds pretty neat. Right now I'm looking for something to practice with until Elsweyr is released; I'm very interested in making a Necromancer healer.

It sounds like to be a healer, you'd have to know your group's capabilities well. How would one prepare for a PUG dungeon run through compared to running a dungeon with an organized group?

Pve dk healer is very fun. Naga shaman works very well with them for a starting out and is very easy tk craft. Pvp wise they are still the weakest of the 5 imho, sustain is rough and while i have always championed cauterize since it became cauterize, it as well as obsidian are still not quite fast enough to save lives in a pinch.
  • Tal_72
    Tal_72
    ✭✭
    Rather than make a new thread, I figured I'd post here...

So for Trials, is sorc healer a viable option? I am trying to pick between a healer myself and am really torn between sorc and warden. I know templars are great--just not my cup of tea. And for race, is dunmer ok? How about khajiit? Thanks.
  • BeatrixLaChance
    @RaptorRodeoGod As a NB healer, I try to keep my role to be a flexible healer who can provide some off-dps..
    1 + 2. I like to use the majority of the Rest skills on one bar (Combat Prayer, Mutagen, Healing Springs, and Healing Ward) I include Harness Magicka as a selfish shield spell, and the Reviving Barrier Ult.
    I also like to run lightning destro on the off bar. using my Sap essence, Ele Drain, Energy Orb, Blockade of Storms, and Crushing Shock with the meteor skill or whichever ultimate you fancy.
    3. I tend to throw out my orbs whenever I can assume that players are out of resources, or whenever i have some time to do so.
    4. @exeeter702 Has hit the nail on the head for the NB class.. I like healing on a NB because I like the idea of being the one that is keeping my comrades alive while having some dps to push back at my enemies.

As for you @Tal_72 my main healer is, has always, or ever will be a Khajiit. It just works for me.
    ==My Champions==
    Beatrixlachance - AD Stamblade - Khajiit
    Lucïen Lachance - EP Stamsorc - Imperial
    Dar'kriid Tahrovin - AD Magblade - Khajiit
    R'iva - EP Magisorc - Dunmer
    Sheogorath-Daedric Prince - EP Magisorc - Nord
    Miraak-Dovahkiin - EP MagDK - Nord
    Charlie Manx - DC Magplar - Breton
    ––Still in Leveling––
    Abecean Sailor - AD Magblade - Argonian
    Hërmäëüs Mörä - EP Magden - Dunmer
  • Lixiviant
    Lixiviant
    ✭✭✭✭
    @AcadianPaladin Excellent post! I'm just trying out a Breton Templar as a healer and being new to this build, really didn't know which direction to go in regarding skills and gear. Going to try out your ideas today and see how they fit my game style.
    PS5 NA/PS5 EU

Daedroth might bite, just letting you know
  • TempPlayer
    TempPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want a challenge, try stamina healer, which is only possible with warden.
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    1) Which skills would be considered more "flex" skills - and why should I pick one over another for a specific situation?
    Almost all skills in undaunted, restoration and destruction are situationally useful to slot; it’s really hard to be specific considering the potential variety of content and group composition.

2) To go along with that, which skills, besides Combat Prayer and healing springs, are mandatory, and why?

For trials: Orbs, Prayer, and Illustrious are mainstays along with class AOE HoT

Dungeons/arena: it’s quite varied. Combat prayer almost always (but if DDs are wardens or naturally slot camo hunter, stamplar, it’s not critical) orbs yes but you can go Mystic instead of healing, illustrious may not work if group is not stacking (radiant regen works best then), a single target burst heal or Ward is often very helpful

3) How often should skills like shards and/or orbs be cast?
    Best to have an orb out all the time (so 10sec). Try to toss one to tank every 20. As tanks we usually don’t require it but it makes things cozy. If tank wears Alkosh it becomes important.

4) What are the pros and cons to each class for healing?

Lots of good info. I’ll try not to dup too much. In order of my personal experience. So, start discounting as you go down. Some details might seem too advanced. That’s bc all classes are quite capable as far as healing. They differ mostly in their non-healing utility and healing style.

Warden: most desired trial healer by a long shot. (Given a choice, every trial group would like a warden in healer or tank role over any other class.) Lots of defensive buffs, sustain buff, great personal sustain and perhaps the highest healing output due to perma major mending when healing is important. Weakness is they don’t have a long range or smart burst heal which can be important in dungeon/arena. However, Ward can fill that gap. Has the best minor vuln source for bosses. Has a cheap useful synergy skill that doubles as an easy way to control and place olorime. Can utilize master architect. Many say they take more skill to use effectively relative to Templar but I haven’t done much Templar do not sure on that personally.

Big deal: effectively they have Ebon and IA sets built in!

Sorc: not a lot of class skills but resto/undaunted skill lines are really solid. Imo for straight healing they are the best tough dungeon healers as they have a smart, no look, burst heal that heals half the group. I often use sorc to prog a HM dungeon the first time. Slam that matriarch and no one can die save a one shot. They also have a synergy skill that doubles as an Olorime placer. Their negate ultimate should be great in theory but it seems the tooltip is a flat out lie as it doesn’t negate most things I actually care to negate in PvE. Surge HoT is nice bc it’s super longer duration permitting more ultility and prayer casts. No minor vuln means they loose a set in dungeons to wear IA. Ultimate cost reduction is the best class ulti gen passive for a healer imo.

NB: super fast and fun. Lotus fan is the best minor vuln source bc it’s AOE. However, it can be risky to use and on some bosses not feasible. Strong ST burst heal that is “free”. It costs health so takes some getting used to. Their AOE HoT gives major expedition which helps more than most think (plus fun factor). They do not have a mag cost synergy, but can use undaunted skills. They do not have a good Olo placer skill but again can use other skills. In the end those two last points are why I choose other healers over NB for dungeons. (Trial selection is based on group usually). They have a lot of damage skills that heal or provide a buff/debuff. Can use master architect. Nice mid cost healing ulti. They make for a very engaging/fun DD/healer dungeon hybrid.

Necro: Best offensive ultimate, very useful Rez ultimate for progressing (any PvE content), and highest ultimate gen of any other healer (extremely high in trash if dedicate a skill slot for it). They are the only class with TWO unique mag synergies. One can control Olo placement. They other, Agony totem, is fantastic in dungeon/arena. They have two AOE HoTs and an AOE purge. Those require learning corpse management to fully realize. They have AOE minor vuln but it only lasts 5seconds. It’s not enough for trials but with complimentary staff setup it’s fine for dungeon/arena. Their ST burst heal can be stronger than Templar and almost as strong as Sorc (with corpse). In a nutshell, these guys have a lot of cool toys. They are often considered to be a more offensive support option.

Disclaimer: I sort of have a bias against Templar bc they seem to be 70% or so of healers and I think other classes have loads to offer too.

Templar: always good, basically considered the benchmark, but not necessarily the best or most fun. I’ll just mention shortcomings bc the strengths are covered in so many places. They don’t have minor vuln at all; kinda a show stopper for me in dungeons. They have perhaps the best (Unique) synergy though it’s conditional and cannot be placed at range. BoL (Burst heal) is good but it isn’t as strong as sorc, and Ward can be just as good so I don’t consider it that special. They are built around healing in a stack so very good in trials (usually you’ll see Templar in stack and warden running around doing special mechanics or stacking as well). They’re not as built for sporadic mobile fights. Groups should not spread apart most of the time but often is the default when learning content. After learning content (dungeon) groups might opt not to use a healer at that point.

DK: limited to no personal experience. Full power engulfing flames is their thing. No minor vuln; no mag synergy. See others’ descriptions for more info.
    Edited by thadjarvis on February 11, 2020 4:53PM