The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Battlegrounds roles -- Healer, Tank, DD?

FrancisCrawford
FrancisCrawford
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Edit: Upon further research, it turns out the premise for this thread is wrong. One does NOT queue for a specific role in BGs the way one does in dungeons. Sorry for the confusion!

I've never been to the BGs, so I just realized that one queues for BGs the same way one does for dungeons, i.e. in the role of healer, tank, or DD. Assuming true PUG queueing rather than pre-mades (as will be required in the future if the PTS changes go live), what do those roles boil down to in BGs. Some comments in the thread https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/510107/pvp-healer-discussion-builds-strats-positioning#latest hint at that, but people are trying to stamp out the discussion there because it's a bit of a subject hijack, so I'm starting a new thread on the topic here.

My GUESSES start:
  • Healers need to worry a lot more about personal survival than in dungeons, so they have to build for that at the expense of other capabilities.
  • Emergency healing is a (much) bigger deal in BGs than in dungeons.
  • Everybody needs resources in PvP. Shards are still great in BGs if you have a templar (and Luminous ones are better). Orbs are probably controversial because they're great in theory but often too slow in practice.
  • Elemental Drain/Siphon Spirit are nice-to-haves in BGs, the prevalence of purges and/or stamina DPS notwithstanding.
  • Like in dungeons, Combat Prayer is a nice-to-have, with the buffs being even less valuable than in dungeons but the heal more so.
  • Taunts are useless in BGs, an occasional (and quickly nerfed) niche build perhaps excepted.
  • Chains are nice-to-have but not central to the tanking role.
  • Tanks cast Fears and debuffs a lot so that teammates don't have to.
  • Mobility is more important for everybody than in dungeons.
  • Defile is a much bigger deal than in dungeons (duh).
  • Breach/Fracture, Weakening, Crushing, Maim etc. are nice-to-haves, but less central than in single-boss dungeon fights.

How am I doing? What are some of the many other things I'm overlooking?
Edited by FrancisCrawford on February 3, 2020 6:05AM
  • Commandment
    Commandment
    ✭✭✭
    Let's not turn this into warcraft. Everyone in this game has access to some kind of regeneration. People will also abuse the role ques to get in.

Healers get instant ques? I better que as a healer, even though I'm a Dps
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let's not turn this into warcraft. Everyone in this game has access to some kind of regeneration. People will also abuse the role ques to get in.

Oh. You're saying that I'm wrong, and roles don't apply to BG queues??

Testing ...

It turns out you're right. Never mind!!
  • Commandment
    Commandment
    ✭✭✭

Oh. You're saying that I'm wrong, and roles don't apply to BG queues??

Testing ...

It turns out you're right. Never mind!!

Unfortunately, yeah, that idea exist in wow already.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. The preset roles don't matter in Battlegrounds.

You are correct that how you play certain "roles" changes dramatically in Battlegrounds. Like you suspected, healers have to build to be useful for their team, which includes survivability, damage, cleansing, and the ability to hold an objective. Tanky players aren't doing the same "position mobs and hold aggro" tactics as in PVE, but they tend to do well in "hold this objective against all comers" game modes - you know you did PVP tanking right when your opponents complain about unkillable troll builds.