Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

If I am using two lightning staves, what should be trait/enchantment on both bars be?

naturebased
naturebased
✭✭✭
Right now I have precise/absorb magicka enchant on both bars and trying to improve my dps during my rotation
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Infused with weapon damage on one stave, not sure on the other, but maybe Crusher. Although absorb magic can help a little with sustain.

If the sticks are dropped items and you dont want to deal with transmute, you would probably still be better with Weapon Damage on one.

Now, i have to ask, how much work have you done on your rotation? Right skill mix for your build? LA Weaving with Animation Canceling? You can double or triple your DPS with just an optimized rotation.
    Edited by Nestor on January 27, 2020 2:53AM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• gplumblingnrb18_ESO
    Precise or Infused on Front bar - Shock Enchant.
    Infused on Back bar - Weapon Damage Enchant.

Shock Enchant on Lightning Staff if you are going for AOE damage.
    Fire Enchant on Flame/Inferno Staff for Single Target damage.

If you like to mix and match... you can go Inferno Staff front bar (Flame Enchant) and a Lightning Staff back bar. (Damage Enchant or Shock Enchant) If your sustain sucks then go for a Absorb Magicka Enchant (Back bar).
    Edited by gplumblingnrb18_ESO on January 27, 2020 1:08PM
  • naturebased
    naturebased
    ✭✭✭

If you like to mix and match... you can go Inferno Staff front bar (Flame Enchant) and a Lightning Staff back bar. (Damage Enchant or Shock Enchant) If your sustain sucks then go for a Absorb Magicka Enchant (Back bar).

Why shock on front and weapon damage on back and not the other way around? My front bar is purifying light/puncturing sweeps/barbed trap. My backbar is blazing spear/solar barrage/lightning wall of elements

• thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    May be other reasons. Here's some:
    1. Backbar is almost always best to be infused (front bar has options)
    2. Damage is more important enchant (usually)
    3. Damage glyph just needs to be proc'ed and maintained (it can hit any target, which the Wall will do)
    4. Front bar may see small gaps in uptime which we don't want for damage glyph
    5. Shock/Fire Glyph we likely want to specifically hit the priority target with it; we can control that front bar

For the skills you have setup front fire and back lightning staff would leverage staff passives best. That assumes low burning uptime and engulfing flames isn't present (otherwise it's all fire). Not required but would likely have greater impact than Shock vs Fire enchant choice.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why shock on front and weapon damage on back and not the other way around? My front bar is purifying light/puncturing sweeps/barbed trap. My backbar is blazing spear/solar barrage/lightning wall of elements

Back bar enchant will proc from Wall ticks on cooldown, and you don’t have much control over which enemy it hits. This works out well with Berserker because it doesn’t matter which event procs the glyph, just important to have high uptime. Back bar can also be Infused without giving up much, which allows Berserker to be 100% uptime of 452 Spell Damage instead of the standard 50% uptime of 348 Spell Damage.

Front bar enchant will proc mainly from light and heavy attacks (unless you are using another Destruction Staff ability), and you have more control over aiming which enemy gets hit with the damage glyph. I’d recommend Flame for any group content (where Minor Vuln is usually provided by a healer), but Shock works ok for solo.

On Templar you’ll want Precise front bar most of the time, since you get extra crit damage for slotting an Aedric Spear ability.

Also, do you not use beam? That’s probably the most powerful skill Templar has, and if you use it I’d recommend an Inferno Staff on front bar. For back bar, Flame Wall is better unless you need the off- balance from Lightning Wall.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on January 31, 2020 9:37PM
  • naturebased
    naturebased
    ✭✭✭

Back bar enchant will proc from Wall ticks on cooldown, and you don’t have much control over which enemy it hits. This works out well with Berserker because it doesn’t matter which event procs the glyph, just important to have high uptime. Back bar can also be Infused without giving up much, which allows Berserker to be 100% uptime of 452 Spell Damage instead of the standard 50% uptime of 348 Spell Damage.

Front bar enchant will proc mainly from light and heavy attacks (unless you are using another Destruction Staff ability), and you have more control over aiming which enemy gets hit with the damage glyph. I’d recommend Flame for any group content (where Minor Vuln is usually provided by a healer), but Shock works ok for solo.

On Templar you’ll want Precise front bar most of the time, since you get extra crit damage for slotting an Aedric Spear ability.

Also, do you not use beam? That’s probably the most powerful skill Templar has, and if you use it I’d recommend an Inferno Staff on front bar. For back bar, Flame Wall is better unless you need the off- balance from Lightning Wall.

I use radiant oppression when enemy is low on health, but all my backbar skills are aoe and my main damage skill sweeps on frontbar is aoe also, which is why i want to run 2 lightning staffs. Should i run flame enchant on my front bar lightning staff then? And weapon damage on backbar lightning staff? With precise and infused respectively
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I use radiant oppression when enemy is low on health, but all my backbar skills are aoe and my main damage skill sweeps on frontbar is aoe also, which is why i want to run 2 lightning staffs. Should i run flame enchant on my front bar lightning staff then? And weapon damage on backbar lightning staff? With precise and infused respectively

Yes
  • blendertoes
    blendertoes
    ✭✭✭
    Take a look at the Dragonhold/Update 24 patch notes, Puncturing Strikes and its morphs are now direct damage.
  • naturebased
    naturebased
    ✭✭✭
    Take a look at the Dragonhold/Update 24 patch notes, Puncturing Strikes and its morphs are now direct damage.

I checked in the skills screen, they do more damage with shock than flame.

• OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I checked in the skills screen, they do more damage with shock than flame.

that is because sweeps are aoe, doesnt matter if it direct damage or dots when it comes to staffs, only aoe vs single target.