Official Discussion Thread for "ESO's Performance Improvements Plan"

• katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OK, there was some statement in the recent December update about “stability is greatly improved on all platforms.” I want to ask how this was determined. What metrics were used to come to this conclusion? Did ZOS look at all the crash reports and compare the number of crash reports before and after or what? For PS4, I don’t think they have any other info to use. I am submitting just as many, or more crash reports than before. By the way, that’s the absolute last thing I want to do when the game crashes just as my faction is sieging a keep, but I do it in hopes that things will get fixed. It delays me getting back to possibly receive the AP that I earned by participating in the siege.

About 10-25% of the time I cannot submit a crash report because my console freezes and I have to reboot. That data is not available to the devs.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• SgtSilock
    SgtSilock
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will this help to improve framerate in the cities?
  • augestflex_ESO
    Please don't reduce graphics quality in the process. One of the things I LOVE about ESO is the quality of the graphics.
    Having said that, I totally look forward to performance improvements, just not if at the cost of visual quality.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Please don't reduce graphics quality in the process. One of the things I LOVE about ESO is the quality of the graphics.
    Having said that, I totally look forward to performance improvements, just not if at the cost of visual quality.

I headed to Alinor today to certify a new jewelry Crafter, and saw some really terrible low resolution walls there. They did say they already lowered graphics on console, but I have not seen anything like that in Rimmen, where I spend much more time. I did notice that one whole wall was completely missing near Fenziri’s house in Rimmen one visit, the wall with the wanted poster hanging on it. It looked strange with the poster just floating in mid-air. That’s the same area with the often disappearing urns near the front door.

There has to be other things they can do instead. This seems like a huge step backwards.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• OfTheEight
    OfTheEight
    ✭✭
    Been a member since January 8, 2014

In all these years, I've never experience any poor performance issues, I've had a crash now and again, but during that time so were many others. But ZoS fixed it within 24-48 hrs and all was back to normal. So to anyone complaining about performance, I'd ask how old is your PC and have you updated the drivers for your different devices.

I started playing this game on a 2nd gen Intel and have since upgraded to a 9th gen i5.
    My Video card to start was a GTX 570, GTX 750, GTX 970, and now a GTX 1070.
    Ram has always been 16GB
    My HHD started with a 500GB HDD, then a 500 SSD, adn now a 500 M.2.

My lowest video settings were 1980x1080 at around 40fps
    My current is 3620x2036 and I sit around 90 fps

So not sure what your running as a system but having been in the lower performance hardware at one time to now, I've never seen these poor performance issues. Zos keep pumping out the content and performance updates, but if I was to recommend anything, don't tone down the graphics or game play, if anything look to improve it.

PS, please release more of the Eight Divine furniture items soon.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OfTheEight wrote: »
    loads of white-knighting drivel
    You could have found a better thread to post your apologetics than the exact thread intended for discussion of ZOS' own plan to improve the game's performance, where the company expressly assume problems with:
    • Memory management
    • LFG system
    • Asset loading
    • Multithreading
    • Ability-induced server load

Not to mention that no sane company should demand that every player update their PC every year, and that there are issues on console as well, where the hardware is far more standardised and not user-upgradeable.

But hey, kudos on your tip top machine.
  • OfTheEight
    OfTheEight
    ✭✭
    Well to make a note on the topic, this would be the first required full reinstall of the game since release, or at least as far as I recall. I've only ever reinstalled the game due to reinstalling windows. but I regress, the update.
    1. I think releasing this in the way of reinstalling the game is a great ideal, it will allow them to purge the file system of unused files and keep them from potentially causing issues.
    2. As far the up PvP upgrades, I'm sure any changes good or bad can be appreciated in that the developers are working to make it better, there will always be mistakes on the way but there will also be success.
    3. Memory usage and Asset loading, well I said my par ton this, never really had an issue. But thanks for the upgrade.
    4. Multi threading, this I look forward to as with the newer processors and greatly increased threads this will be a use improvement all around, nice work including this.

My last post was only to give credit to ZoS for the game they have created, there will always be the negative voices about issues and they always seem to be the loudest. I simple wanted them to know the reason they don;t usually hear from those that don;t have issues is that they are enjoying the game and not on the forums complaining about issues. I've been playing computer games since 1985 and have seen my share of MMO games. There will always be issues, but as long as the developer is working on them I can continue to just play the game and look forward to the patch releases.
  • Gelmir
    Gelmir
    ✭✭✭
    @OfTheEight , multithreading, as far as performance is concerned, mostly is concentrated around servers, not clients :) On client side, with SSD, asset loading wasn't really a big deal (as you stated). It will be better of course, which is good, but not a critical improvement. On the other hand, server side really needs to boost things up.
    Edited by Gelmir on January 8, 2020 11:18AM
    Check-out ~~ GuildPlanner.Pro ~~ Your Ultimate Guild & Character Management Tool
    ★ Lodge of Sorceresses [PC/EU] - LF Serious PvEers: Midgame to Endgame Growth! ★ We NEED You! | Join Discord Server | Youtube Channel
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    New patch is coming soon and literally all we can do is hope for the best at this point. I believe the community will surely vote with their wallets, so these performance improvements better be true.
  • Buddy_Bradley
    Buddy_Bradley
    ✭✭
    OfTheEight wrote: »
    this would be the first required full reinstall of the game since release, or at least as far as I recall
    I've had to reinstall five times - but that might be related to me bouncing around between ESO, WoW, EVE, and every other shiny new MMO that catches my attention... :D
  • psilverelf
    psilverelf
    Soul Shriven
    Would it be possible to get a rough idea of when Update 25 is going to release? Just trying to determine when we will need to re-install ESO.

• Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Judging from the PTS cycle, it should be released in late February/the very start of March.
  • PunkAben
    PunkAben
    ✭✭✭
    It sound really nice the game will be improvement so we get a better performance.
    I just dont belive it really will happens, a small improvement and soon it will be the same.
    It could be nice if we really could see this game in a better graphics so we dont need to have the last gfx-card at marked and still running the game in low settings.
    It will be really nice if we dont need to waist 15% of our playing time in loading screens.
    I wanna see it really happens before i belive it.
    The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do.The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.Ted NelsonElder Scrolls Online most balanced part is maybe the the number of bugs and not bugs!
  • Haink
    Haink
    ✭✭
    Karivaa wrote: »
    I have heard from so many PVP players that they love this game and if only it worked correctly, they would return. Please fix it! PVP is dying.

Was just having this conversation with someone.
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping to never ever have to step virtual foot in a PvP setting again. Why can't we get a form of monthly Tier system for PvE? Do 'x' amount of damage, heals or block in a dungeon or trial over 30 days to rank up. PvP is the worst and I hate this is how to get 50bor more Transmutation Geodes a month.
    For the Empire
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ACamaroGuy wrote: »
    I'm hoping to never ever have to step virtual foot in a PvP setting again. Why can't we get a form of monthly Tier system for PvE? Do 'x' amount of damage, heals or block in a dungeon or trial over 30 days to rank up. PvP is the worst and I hate this is how to get 50bor more Transmutation Geodes a month.

How is that related to performance improvement in any way?
    If you want geodes, grind undaunted pledges.
  • Onigar
    Onigar
    ✭✭✭
    One of the things I read about was the aim to improve usage across CPU Threads and this sounds great :)

What is not clear to me is if for ESO (now and in the future) there is any advantage of having multiple graphics cards and of course they would be set in nVidia SLI mode or for AMD Crossfire.

Additional:
    Currently I have 2 x nVidia GTX 980's but am thinking seriously to upgrade to a new PC setup later this year. The coil whine is killing my ears.
    PC EU
    Addon Author:
    Currency Manager: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1998
  • Wotan537
    Wotan537
    Dear Dev,
    infinite lag in cyro, every event always full of bugs.
    Is Eso suppose to be playable ?
    Wanna talk about class balance ? Class skills ? 90% templar in pvp ("hi i'm a noob, which class should i play, using only 3skills?")
    We dont need dlc, we need a playable game.
    dont waste your time answerin me, try to fix this mess. 5 years have passed.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Onigar wrote: »
    One of the things I read about was the aim to improve usage across CPU Threads and this sounds great :)

What is not clear to me is if for ESO (now and in the future) there is any advantage of having multiple graphics cards and of course they would be set in nVidia SLI mode or for AMD Crossfire.

Additional:
    Currently I have 2 x nVidia GTX 980's but am thinking seriously to upgrade to a new PC setup later this year. The coil whine is killing my ears.

Dual graphic cards are thing of past and it never worked too well even on supported games.
    Do not waste money on this, ESO's problem is not lack of graphics performance but rather horribly useless unoptimized rendering part of the client, and brute computing force can only get you so far.
    If you only/mostly play ESO, I wouldn't upgrade antything yet and wait for the rest of the performance improvements to happen, see what the total performance gain will be, and decide based on that. Personally, I like to buy second hand previous generation high end cards.
    Edited by Octopuss on January 29, 2020 8:00PM
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone! January's update is now live and can be viewed here: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/56681
    ios1j8x4ao8u.jpg
    Staff Post
  • Rehdaun
    Rehdaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I call bs with this statement..
    Q4 2019: Update 24

Memory management overhaul and behind-the-scenes combat ability improvements phase 1
    This is now live on all servers (PC/Mac, Xbox One, and PlayStation®4) and stability is greatly improved on all platforms.

In case you haven't noticed, memory management stability has not been greatly improved on the PS4. Get your facts straight Zos. Instability has remained the same with every attempted "fix".
    Edited by Rehdaun on January 31, 2020 6:42PM
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate the team updates and the nice infographic above, thanks @ZOS_SarahHecker !

If possible though, could you please address the ongoing issues with PC/EU and performance issues in Cyrodiil especially? Is there any indication of why these are happening (which subsystem/component causes this), and if they will be fixed by any of the general system updates listed above?
    Edited by Pyr0xyrecuprotite on January 31, 2020 5:41PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rehdaun wrote: »

Memory management overhaul and behind-the-scenes combat ability improvements phase 1
    This is now live on all servers (PC/Mac, Xbox One, and PlayStation®4) and stability is greatly improved on all platforms.

In case you haven't noticed, memory management stability has not been greatly approved on the PS4. Get your facts straight Zos. Instability has remained the same with every attempted "fix".

I think it is a little amusing that you put that right after a comment from ZOS saying that some remaining memory-related issues will be fixed in Update 25. (Edit: point being that the comment above yours addresses your comment before you made it)
    Edited by Elsonso on January 31, 2020 6:10PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Rehdaun
    Rehdaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I think it is a little amusing that you put that right after a comment from ZOS saying that some remaining memory-related issues will be fixed in Update 25. (Edit: point being that the comment above yours addresses your comment before you made it)

Whateva
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/507081/ps4-bluescreen-fix-date/p1
  • demerdecanswrath
    demerdecanswrath
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_SarahHecker Thank you for the update. Does this mean that the additional performance work in Update 27 & Update 28 will push shelved projects further into 2021? We still have a macOS executable from 2013 with no window controls..

*edited
    Edited by demerdecanswrath on January 31, 2020 7:15PM
    Characters:
    • Arien Larethian (High Elf Templar)
    • Relus Demerdecan (Redguard Dragonknight)
    • Elisia Bonaire (Breton Nightblade)

Proudly playing and producing content on a 2018 15" MacBook Pro.
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "This is now live on all servers (PC/Mac, Xbox One, and PlayStation®4) and stability is greatly improved on all platforms. "

This is a joke right?
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rehdaun wrote: »

In case you haven't noticed, memory management stability has not been greatly improved on the PS4. Get your facts straight Zos. Instability has remained the same with every attempted "fix".

I have given up playing PvP on Kaalgrontiid due to constant disconnects which crashed not only my game but my PS4 and caused data loss.

Stability is much, much worse than usual. I have been spending the entire Midyear Mayhem in a low population guest campaign to avoid this happening again.

You’re happy to take my money for ESO Plus but you refuse to hear my plea for help.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Looking forward for more improvements on February 5th update for PS4. For the last 2 weeks or so I have only been really doing solo PVE stuff only playing 2-3 characters per day at most. I have noticed since staying away and hoping they make improvements to group content that the game is more stable, and I am crashing a lot less than the past months.

It is nice to see they are putting the work on improving performance.

A BIG THANKS FROM ME.

I only hope when I return to more group focused content and PVP that my troubles do not reappear after the next update.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tried to get my last thrills in Cyrodiil during the event. Went into multiple "fake loading screens" where I got to the splash screen and back into the game. Then chat froze. Then everyone around me froze and I couldn't sneak, sprint, switch bars... Then I got booted to the login screen and a string of "account already logged in" and "couldn't connect to the game server" errors.

I guess with the event ending tomorrow there will be fewer people in Cyrodiil, so ZOS can go on pretending like everything's fine and dandy for a few more months. Update one post once a month with generalities about how they're "improving performance", regardless of whether these improvements can actually be felt.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but ZOS as a company are (snip). I've already left for 2 years and feel another break coming very soon.

/rant

(edited for bashing and slanderous comments)
    Edited by ZOS_FalcoYamaoka on February 4, 2020 6:26PM
  • Drunkensot
    Drunkensot
    ✭✭
    I agree. This "performance improvement" made things worse. I am getting bumped out or frozen at loading screens at the highest rate I have ever experienced. And only in this game. So it's not my pc.