Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Prophet's Voice Changes! Why oh Why?!!!

Skallolf
Skallolf
✭✭✭
I have just started the game and I completed the intro in the wailing prison, and as Usual the excellent Michael Gambon's voice gave the Prophet an air of mystery as only a great actor can. How disappointing it was to suddenly hear the you have re-recorded some of his lines when you goto the faction starter area with a different voice actor who, if you listen close enough, sounds nothing like Gambon at all.

It may sound like I am being picky but I can't help but feel that if you couldn't afford to bring him back for another voice session then why did you change the dialogue at all?

This kind of broke the immersion for me upon starting on the ship in the Khajiit starter area. I really wish you had not have changed this.
  • refelian
    refelian
    I agree with this totally, it's a shame. There are other threads about this topic where people express the same sadness. Gambon is a brilliant actor and hopefully they will get him in the studio again to record the new lines!
  • Skallolf
    Skallolf
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, i didnt see the other threads - I'm struggling a bit to work this forum out lol, I need to look into it more. But yes, it is very sad and I don't see why they have changed his dialogue.
  • Fletcherx
    Fletcherx
    Soul Shriven
    I'm assuming its something to do with rights, possibly he changed his mind about the project?
  • refelian
    refelian
    Not sure - could have been something as simple as schedule thing. I guess he's a pretty busy guy and they had a deadline!
  • Skallolf
    Skallolf
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know. I wonder if they had simply ran out of budget when it came to bringing him back after a script rewrite. After all, he would charge a hell of a lot more than a normal voice actor. Either way, since he had already recorded lines for the intro, as were in the beta's and the story at this point hasn't really changed - I don't see why they rewrote the script for the character if they couldn't get Gambon back to say the lines (whatever the reason was). It really spoils the immersion and to be honest I feel its a little weak to say that Michael Gambon IS the prophet when he is sharing the role with an un-known guy. Just my opinion of course, but I am pretty disappointed.
    Edited by Skallolf on March 30, 2014 5:27PM
  • TheFalcon19
    TheFalcon19
    ✭✭✭
    The voice is only different at the beginning of the game, due to the recent changes to the starting dungeon and starting island and they probably couldn't schedule a recording with him before release.
    When you return to the Prophet in the first big zone, Gambon's voice returns.
  • tafoya77n
    tafoya77n
    This was a change that they made in the last few weeks all because the players complained, saying that the starter islands were boring (I have no idea why they said that). Zenimax took the time to make the islands optional for the last beta, in just a few weeks. I'm sure that it was just impossible to get Gambon in the short amount of time they had and they did the best with what they could.
  • Skallolf
    Skallolf
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps, I just do not like the fact that a characters voice can change so quickly into a game. Whether or not Gambon's voice does return I just think it sounds sloppy and is the kind of thing that will annoy the hell out of me every time I play.

(I understand that not everyone will feel like me, but these things do annoy me lol)
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its a place holder. See the Gazillion other threads.
  • Skallolf
    Skallolf
    ✭✭✭
    Skallolf wrote: »
    Sorry, i didnt see the other threads - I'm struggling a bit to work this forum out lol, I need to look into it more.

Yep, someone else pointed out the other threads, as I said earlier never saqw them when I first posted. My apologies.

• DanMan3395
    yeah this was a really dumb move on their part, if they wanted to make the island skippable they could have just had a pop up that lets you skip it same as the cold harbor prison. This solution is the worst idea I have seen in a blockbuster title in a long time.
  • Selstad
    Selstad
    ✭✭✭✭
    What probably happened is that after they were done with his voice overs, they realized they needed additional VO for the beginning parts, but the actor wasn't available or didn't want to do additional work without getting additional paid.

It's actually quite common that projects like this have more than 1 voice actor at parts, due to conflicting schedules between the voice actors and the production company. I agree it's not ideal, and they could probably have done a smoother job, but Gambon has a very distinct and unique voice so it's not easy replacing his voice.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The starter-island change wasn't a terribly good idea, nor was it implemented terribly well. There are some big storytelling issues as well. But the voice thing is the really painfully obvious problem.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • crush83
    crush83
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the whole Prophet story line at all. I really hate that it is the central plot of the game. That said, I love pretty much all the other plots I've run into. And the voice actors are excellent.
  • Daverios
    Daverios
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am confused why a voice actor would even need to put on pants much less be brought into a studio. Could they not just record anywhere and like email a file I for sound editing. Seems like a no brainer, but I guess if I was paying what they were I would at least want pants :)
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    Skallolf wrote: »
    Sorry, i didnt see the other threads - I'm struggling a bit to work this forum out lol, I need to look into it more. But yes, it is very sad and I don't see why they have changed his dialogue.

Because people moaned about how the game starts, so that mucked about with it.
  • Blackhorne
    Blackhorne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Daverios wrote: »
    I am confused why a voice actor would even need to put on pants much less be brought into a studio. Could they not just record anywhere and like email a file I for sound editing. Seems like a no brainer, but I guess if I was paying what they were I would at least want pants :)
    There are a lot of ambient noises around us all the time, which our brains tune out (for the most part.) But when recording, those ambient noises come along for the ride, so any voice work recorded outside of a studio will have a different tone than one recorded under controlled conditions.
    There are ways to mitigate this with post-processing, but they don't fix everything. Anything missed would be readily apparent to someone actually listening to the game.
  • Daverios
    Daverios
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blackhorne wrote: »
    There are a lot of ambient noises around us all the time, which our brains tune out (for the most part.) But when recording, those ambient noises come along for the ride, so any voice work recorded outside of a studio will have a different tone than one recorded under controlled conditions.
    There are ways to mitigate this with post-processing, but they don't fix everything. Anything missed would be readily apparent to someone actually listening to the game.

So the reasoning is they wouldn't want a game about a world sounding like it was recorded on the real world? Hmmm.

I say chances are at best a voice actor would record at a local studio if they did not have one at home. It was probably more about money tjam bringing him back in.

• crush83
    crush83
    ✭✭✭✭
    So the reasoning is they wouldn't want a game about a world sounding like it was recorded on the real world? Hmmm.

I say chances are at best a voice actor would record at a local studio if they did not have one at home. It was probably more about money tjam bringing him back in.

It's probably more efficient to bring him, and other voice actors, into their own studio where they can control things like modifications to the scripts, changes in inflection, coaching on annunciation, etc.

If they have to correspond all those changes via email, it could drag the process out over months.

I'd say there is a good chance that they do have a studio at home, but Zenimax would still prefer to bring them into their own studio.
    Edited by crush83 on April 17, 2014 9:54PM
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    The voice is only different at the beginning of the game, due to the recent changes to the starting dungeon and starting island and they probably couldn't schedule a recording with him before release.
    When you return to the Prophet in the first big zone, Gambon's voice returns.

This ^ ^

It is only for that one part of the game when you arrive after wailing prison.

Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?