The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

Call to Test

DarkGottbeard
DarkGottbeard
✭✭✭
Yesterday while testing several burst combos I came across a strange mechanic. It is unclear if this is a bug or if it is an intentional mechanic. If a combo would have damaged 100% of a players life in one GCD (1 second) the defending player was instead given massive artificial Damage Reduction until the new GCD. This Damage Reduction would sometimes even reduce attacks down to 0 dmg if the combo was violent enough.

I would like other testers to interact with this mechanic and see if we can collectively suss out what is happening and define the parameters of this Holtzman Shield. If other players can recreate the mechanic hopefully we can get this bug fixed before live or shine the light on a babysitter mechanic trying to sneak by the patch notes unnoticed.

Some details I tested

100% - 0% combos provided massive mitigation preventing the kill.

80%-0% combos provided no extra mitigation and skills did full damage. (lowering the targets health a little before bursting would prevent the mitigation.)

The mitigation was not stealth specific and would arrive on any burst regardless of class or combo style.

Unanswered questions

Can other players recreate the phenomenon?

Is the mitigation only against one player source or will you get momentary damage immunity when 2 or more people burst together?

Does the mitigation apply to 1 single attack source if it does enough damage?

If you take the time to test this please post your findings here, thank you.
Edited by DarkGottbeard on January 23, 2020 8:49PM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A video of your findings would be immensely helpful, @DarkGottbeard.

Not only to try to reproduce the effect ... but also to confirm what you describe is actually happening.
  • DarkGottbeard
    DarkGottbeard
    ✭✭✭
    A video of your findings would be immensely helpful, @DarkGottbeard.

Not only to try to reproduce the effect ... but also to confirm what you describe is actually happening.

I am not set up to record so that will not be happening. The effect is definitely happening to me. Thank you for your interest.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Please share your 100-0% burst combo so that I may... ahem test it. :wink:

Seriously though, I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand it is not fun to get bursted down in one cool-down and I can see the argument for and against it.

Putting something like that into the game without putting it in the patch notes is a bit underhanded though. Maybe they did that so the new block mechanic would work better? In other words, keeping players from getting obliterated before block takes affect.

Interested to see how the testing goes on this.
    Playing since beta...
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So you say that a full CP geared DK using Take Flight on a player that has no gear, CPs and attribute points will not kill him?

Or are 2+ instances of damage needed in order to happen?
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on January 23, 2020 6:02PM
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    I'll look into this too, see if I can repro.

May be a day or two, but you can DM me here or in game live/PTS: @Glorious
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock
  • DarkGottbeard
    DarkGottbeard
    ✭✭✭
    kojou wrote: »
    Please share your 100-0% burst combo so that I may... ahem test it. :wink:

Seriously though, I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand it is not fun to get bursted down in one cool-down and I can see the argument for and against it.

Putting something like that into the game without putting it in the patch notes is a bit underhanded though. Maybe they did that so the new block mechanic would work better? In other words, keeping players from getting obliterated before block takes affect.

Interested to see how the testing goes on this.

I did Snipe> timed light atk> timed (silver shards, poison inject, poison spray w/ perfect asylum), weapon Swap before ranged combo lands timed Greatsword light atk> executioner> bash. Roughly all hitting within 100ms to 400 ms.

I did Snipe> Snipe> Cloak after the first hit. The first snipe took them to 5% life the second snipe did almost no dmg.

I did a Beetle> Snipe> onslaught combo

And I did a Beetle> heavy atk> Dawnbreaker> light atk> powerbash > bash combo.

I was testing for a while so i forget the particulars of other comboes i might have used. Any full 1 shot combo will work to recreate as long as the damage is introduced all within 1000 ms.

I had my test subject bring vampires, non vampires. I had him gear tanky, and gear squishy. The results were the same, if the burst was 100% to 0% then some arbitrary mitigation would reduce the dmg immensely.
  • DarkGottbeard
    DarkGottbeard
    ✭✭✭
    So you say that a full CP geared DK using Take Flight on a player that has no gear, CPs and attribute points will not kill him?

Or are 2+ instances of damage needed in order to happen?

I did not test if 1 skill is required or 2 or more is needed.

And i did not test if it changes when two players burst is introduced.

But those are wonderful points to test.
  • Kronuxx
    Kronuxx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Gottbeard , oddly enough El lobo had mentioned some odd mechanic occuring during his PTS testing video where he noticed that with very high weapon damage, his damage was being equivalent to a fellow dueler who had less weapon damage and also noted the mitigation seemed very high the higher your offensive states.
  • Madhatten512
    Madhatten512
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was the person testing with Lobo and though we didn't recreate this exact scenario we saw some very weird damage numbers when u started to push into very high weapon damage.. Like a build with 8300 plus WD doing the same damage as a build with 5500 to 6000 weapon damage. Also odd periods of extreme mitigation where something like d swing would register for like 600 damage.. There are very strange things going on the PTS with damage calculation.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe this was something stealth patched in.

Something I noticed that may be new, a little unrelated, was a buff given to you in a pug dungeon provided when entering, that increases drop chance, gold gain or exp, something like that. I've never seen that in the game.

All I did was enter a dungeon on a new template character alone. I noticed a new buff on me, went to character screen and there it was. Said something like "given to you for helping someone complete a dungeon for the first time". I guess it counted myself.

Is this new? I'll update my comment later with a screenshot, unless someone chimes in with its old or has the screenshot themself.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on January 24, 2020 2:50AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • AMeanOne
    AMeanOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lmao hopefully this is just a bug on the pts but you never know with zos :|
  • Eormenric
    Eormenric
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe this was something stealth patched in.

Something I noticed that may be new, a little unrelated, was a buff given to you in a pug dungeon provided when entering, that increases drop chance, gold gain or exp, something like that. I've never seen that in the game.

All I did was enter a dungeon on a new template character alone. I noticed a new buff on me, went to character screen and there it was. Said something like "given to you for helping someone complete a dungeon for the first time". I guess it counted myself.

Is this new? I'll update my comment later with a screenshot, unless someone chimes in with its old or has the screenshot themself.

Yes I had that same buff. If it's not strictly to the PTS whilst testing in dungeons, it must be a new feature that encourages teaching new players a dungeon.

An example scenario is that if a single tank runs a dungeon multiple times and each time has 1-2 newcomers, they [the tank] will be rewarded for their efforts instead of "Don't have time for this; peace!". I like the idea. Spread the knowledge and give people confidence to tackle more challenging content, thus spreading the opportunity of grouping--which seems to be an admirable and constant goal of ESO.
  • MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is definately something that I will have to test once I get back onto the pts, If this would remain in the game it will really hurt solo gameplay.
  • MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright we did some testing, I have a clip of the bug happening with the combat metrics recap. Below that is another combat metrics recap of another combo being mitigated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NXOu6tYMdg

Possibilities:
    -It may be happening at above ~19500 max health for the defender
    -It may be a red cp
    -it may be when a certain number of red cp is slotted
    -it may be when any of the 75 red cp bonuses are active
    -It may be when attacking from stealth (doubt this one, but worth testing)

zq9go08zt8oa.jpg

@Glory
    @Gottbeard
    Edited by MincVinyl on January 26, 2020 11:10PM
  • Nirnroot420
    Nirnroot420
    ✭✭✭
    MincVinyl wrote: »
    Alright we did some testing, I have a clip of the bug happening with the combat metrics recap. Below that is another combat metrics recap of another combo being mitigated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NXOu6tYMdg

Possibilities:
    -It may be happening at above ~19500 max health for the defender
    -It may be a red cp
    -it may be when a certain number of red cp is slotted
    -it may be when any of the 75 red cp bonuses are active
    -It may be when attacking from stealth (doubt this one, but worth testing)

zq9go08zt8oa.jpg

@Glory
    @Gottbeard

Not only would it hurt solo gameplay, it'd be awful for the game as a whole. Protecting players from well-executed burst combos would just further solidify a tank meta where everyone builds to simply not die, as building high damage builds would be nigh on pointless if players are cuddled from high damage. I mean, what would be the point of a nightblade at all, for example?

This is a very good thread and highlights something that was certainly not outlined in he patch notes and that I, and I'm sure plenty of others, hope is an unfortunate bug, and not a feature designed to further simplify the game.
  • iCaliban
    iCaliban
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive seen instances of ghost damage on live. Frequently when using force pulse. Might have something to do with ranged damage?
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    I'll forward this along
    mDK will rise again.

Ádamant

• MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also @Glory there seems to be a ghost heal happening possibly unrelated, but we saw it multiple times during testing.

Essentially doing near 1 shot burst combos like in the video/ pic. When the defender is stunned and uses break free, they are healed for some absurd amount of health 30-40%. This heal was not showing up on the combat metrics also, so I will have to get another video for proof sometime tonight.

so not only can a player avoid being burst within a gcd, but they are able to almost go back to half hp for free.
  • Nirnroot420
    Nirnroot420
    ✭✭✭
    MincVinyl wrote: »
    Also @Glory there seems to be a ghost heal happening possibly unrelated, but we saw it multiple times during testing.

Essentially doing near 1 shot burst combos like in the video/ pic. When the defender is stunned and uses break free, they are healed for some absurd amount of health 30-40%. This heal was not showing up on the combat metrics also, so I will have to get another video for proof sometime tonight.

so not only can a player avoid being burst within a gcd, but they are able to almost go back to half hp for free.

Yes, this is game-breaking and and runs counter to every combat system in the game. Can you replicate this bug same in cp and non-cp environments? And is it burst damage in general, or certain skills in combination?

This is probably the most important thread on this feedback board regarding the future of combat in this game, that has avtual testing-based evidence, and it's being drained by nonsense threads like buffing Combat Physician. We need some feedback from ZoS soon to confirm or deny this is a bug or a feature, because if it's the latter it's essentially the end of what remains of engaging PvP combat in this game.
    Edited by Nirnroot420 on January 27, 2020 6:56PM
  • AMeanOne
    AMeanOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be nice to get a zos response :|
  • iCaliban
    iCaliban
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AMeanOne wrote: »

I believe glory is able to pass it along to them
  • satanio
    satanio
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they tried to fix the "duel" deaths.
    Current public stam parses on Iron Atro so far (esologs)
    DW&Bow
    DW&2H
    2H&Bow
    Bow&Bow

Current public mag parses on Iron Atro (esologs)
    (non cheese)
    ESOLEAKS CASUALTIES:
    Checkmath
    Tasear
    RIP
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    iCaliban wrote: »
    AMeanOne wrote: »

I believe glory is able to pass it along to them

Doing my best :smile:
    mDK will rise again.

Ádamant

• DarkGottbeard
    DarkGottbeard
    ✭✭✭
    Can you replicate this bug same in cp and non-cp environments? And is it burst damage in general, or certain skills in combination?

It only happened with CP, specifically red CP active. But raising and lowering stars to try and find which red star or passive was causing it did not definitively show what was causing it. The 1 shot started working when I was at 148 red CP. But I individually ruled out each red CP passive one at a time.

Specifically, I had 27 points in ironclad, 47 in resistant, 56 in hardy, 18 in elemental defender when the burst started to kill me.
    Edited by DarkGottbeard on January 28, 2020 9:33PM
  • Rahar
    Rahar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please don't forget this exists. If the bug is actually a bug or an intended feature and not some kind of misunderstanding of dueling mechanics or otherwise, we need to be extremely vocal about this. Hand-holding is NOT okay.
    NeRf MaGsOrC
  • MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We were actually joking that we were seeing the new vamp passives zos is working on that someone forgot to disable during testing.

100% damage mitigation to keep you from death and a strange heal when you get stunned in a burst

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/511127/free-heal-after-stun-animation-bug#latest
  • Nirnroot420
    Nirnroot420
    ✭✭✭
    Rahar wrote: »
    Please don't forget this exists. If the bug is actually a bug or an intended feature and not some kind of misunderstanding of dueling mechanics or otherwise, we need to be extremely vocal about this. Hand-holding is NOT okay.

But nah let's have thirty threads relating to Iceheart which is a niche set for frostdens *at best*.

There's been no response made to this actual testing being done by Minc and Gott here, and no mention of these potential destructive mechanics in any of the patch notes, either as a bug or as a feature. So what exactly is going on here?

@MincVinyl @DarkGottbeard it might be a good idea to remake this thread with the new info and a more appealing name. Maybe make it about the clown store or how hard you find animation cancelling so the devs might actually give it a look?
    Edited by Nirnroot420 on February 5, 2020 4:44AM
  • MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive passed this thread on to class reps, and people on the stream team. There are quite alot of bugs present that might be passed through to live.

this mit bug
    random heal after stun animation
    stuck with 0 stam recov
    my overload bugs
    Of course iceheart is the most important thing, the pts forums are not made for actual testing and progress. Only things that get passed through the right people will be acted upon. Even gina told me that it is our job as random people on the forums with no credentials to report these spam opinion threads.... which lead my forum account to be temp banned for 2 minutes each time i tried to report a thread for the mods to take action. Banned for "spam" which is if you make 2 reports within 2 minutes, kinda Ironic if you think about it. Eventually I did get a thread moved.
  • Rahar
    Rahar
    ✭✭✭✭
    No one I know or ever knew used Iceheart, lmao.

Anyway, this is a far bigger issue. I wish we could get an official response on this. The amount of handholdy "bugs" that might actually be features is completely unsettling.
    NeRf MaGsOrC
  • AMeanOne
    AMeanOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As of this post, one of the iceheart threads has over 450 posts and this one has 30. That's pathetic