Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

CPU recommendation for GTX 750 Ti GPU

gezginrocker
gezginrocker
✭✭✭
Currently I'm playing ESO on an old laptop & during PVP my FPS usually drops to 10. Because of that I decided to build a desktop PC for ESO. At official system requirements page, recommended GPU is GTX 750 Ti & I'll go for it 2nd hand. You'll probably say there are much better options, but our currency is very weak against dollar & even 2nd hand costs a lot. I also read that ESO is more CPU intensive than GPU. So what would be a good CPU to pair with GTX 750 Ti? ESO recommendations are Intel Core i5 2300 or AMD FX4350. Thanks
  • Kuratius
    Kuratius
    ✭✭✭
    Go for a GTX 1050 Ti or for a GTX 1650 Super.
    As for CPU, I would go with a ryzen 3600 or something like that. Just check the current lineup for an option that seems attractive.

If you really can't buy any of these GPUs, I would not buy the GTX 750 either. You should just make sure to buy a CPU with an integrated GPU. ESO is mostly cpu bound, so you will save money and it will be a better experience overall.
    There are some Intel and AMD cpus suitable for you in the 70-200 € range.
    Edited by Kuratius on January 22, 2020 9:11AM
  • Kuratius
    Kuratius
    ✭✭✭
    https://imgur.com/a/3sRcCNy
    Here are some recent budget cpus with integrated graphics.

I would strongly recommend against going with an older cpu than this. Invest in a good cpu, ram and an SSD. You can still buy a graphics card later.
    Edited by Kuratius on January 22, 2020 9:13AM
  • gezginrocker
    gezginrocker
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot for your help, really great advice. :smiley:
    Edited by gezginrocker on January 27, 2020 8:07PM
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Im not going to tell you what specific GPU to buy or even what specifc CPU to buy. To often people try to max one or two things in their system spending all their money on those and then skimping on other critical components and wondering why performance is so poor. So im going to run through components instead. But first i played on this system until last spring. My wife still plays on this system. It does fine on medium graphics settings and FHD.

i7-860(7th gen out in 2009)
    GTX 650 1 or 2 gb( cant remember)
    8 GB of ram( DDR3 1333 or 1666 i think)
    1TB 7200 RPM HDD Raid 0

First lets get the connection out of the way. Contrary to popular belief you dont need a high bandwidth connection with MMOS. You need a low latency connection. Make sure you are not blowing a bunch of money unnecessarily on connection speeds.
    In shopping order:
    *CPU: I would recommend an intel processor. They run better and thread vs thread they outperform similar generation AMD processors. Ideally you want one with the highest benchmark possible but above 5000( on a budget) is good. You can compare CPUs performance benchmarks here. I dont recommend going under 5000 on the benchmark and if you can get it closer to 10k than 5k that would be great.

*Motherboard: You have to pick the right socket(CPU) and form factor( if you have a case already). Also you will want to look at connections such as USB( 4 min 6 plus better), Storage connections( M2.SSD ideal, SATA cheaper), DIMMs( 4 ideal, 2 is standard.) , etc. and of course dont forget a slot for your video card.

*Memory: 8 GB bare minimum. I know they say 3 or 4 or something but the game requires at least 2.5GB when running. So unless you want infinite load screens, you need a minimum of 8 GB. 12 or 16 is much better and 32 is golden. You dont want to mix and match memory typically. You want all the same memory, same brand bought at the same time( Same lot numbers basically). While your computer may run fine if you add a random module later( even if the same brand), you are more likely to encounter memory issues( BSOD) by mixing and matching. The type and speed with be board dependent. Dont skimp on memory, you will only frustrate yourself later as this tends to be a major bottleneck in many systems.

* HDD/SSD: So a NVME (In-vee-ME... love that name) m.2 SSD is the best you can get but only certain boards will support it. I should probably tell you though that are storage is often overlooked. This is the number one bottle neck in most systems( with system RAM being second) An Nvme SSD has ultra low seek and write times. I boot win 10 in 15 secs and load the game from launch screen in 15 seconds.

Your next best option will be a standard SSD. These are a bit cheaper and a bit slower but still improve a great deal over mechanical HDD. The cheapest option is a HDD. Higher RPM is better. you want 7200 RPM ideally.

As for size on all drives you want a bare minimum of 256GB if running Win 10 and only that low if ESO is the only game you plan on installing( it and windows will eat up 60%-80% of the disk) Ideally 500GB or bigger.

* Graphics Card: I would go with Nvidia personally. Generation is more important than memory size. So you will want a newer generation. My GTX 650 performs ok on medium settings on FHD. A 750TI performs almost twice as good as GTX 650, so its not a terrible choice. FYI when it comes to card numbering the first number is the generation. The rest is how high end it is. So 750 is 7th gen and 50 is the lowest performing of the generation. TI is titanium and higher performing than the regular version of the card. So 50 is low end, 60 medium performance, 70 high performance, 80 super high performance, 90 is Holodeck. You can compare video cards here

IMPORTANT: DO NOT USE INTEGRATED GRAPHICS. They are not designed for gaming especially these types of game. If your playing candy crush that is great, but not ESO. It will murder your FPS, cause excessively long load screens, and generally look like garbage and no the rest of the PC doesnt make up for it.

Case and point: My wifes laptop has an i7, 12 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, and intel integrated graphics and it runs this game like garbage. It runs it so poorly she plays on my old PC from 2009 with the stats in the beginning of this post. Her Laptop is a 2016 model.

* Other Stuff:
    - Make sure you have proper cooling for your system.
    -Dont forget to sort internet connection for the board out.
    - If you dont know about it Newegg is a good place to shop for computer components. They have a pretty big list of countries on their site so your's is probably on there. The frugal and patient shopper can find some pretty good deals on refurbished and sale items on there.
    Edited by Anotherone773 on January 27, 2020 9:46PM