Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Skill Leveling with Weapon Swap

Barrum
Barrum
So let's say I'm a DK and use a Two Hander and a One Hand/Shield for my swap weapons. Now suppose I have an ardent flame skill on my Two Hander hot bar, but not ardent flame skills on my shield hot bar. If I never pull out my Two Hander for any reason, will I continue to level ardent flame? If I have to actually use my Two Hander swap to level ardent flame? At what rate will it level? Half the normal rate for only seeing half the use, or at normal rate?
  • van.cannonb14_ESO
    That's a good question. I'd also like to know the answer to this.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    You only gain xp in the weapons/skills that are on the hotbar or currently equipped.
  • Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering about this as well.
  • mechasauce
    mechasauce
    ✭✭
    I believe any skills placed on a secondary hotbar will not level unless you use that hotbar...and weapon
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how fast it levels if you use both in one fight (if it tracks it that way or if it's just 'on kill') but I can confirm it won't do anything if you never switch to it.
  • charlesbr
    charlesbr
    you get it leveld when you get exp, i tested it, just swap before you complete any quest and it will level the weapon/skills equipped
  • van.cannonb14_ESO
    charlesbr wrote: »
    you get it leveld when you get exp, i tested it, just swap before you complete any quest and it will level the weapon/skills equipped

Well that answers it. Thanks man.
  • Barrum
    Barrum
    So it's what is equipped on kill/exp gain? Got it.