Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Use character name change token, can't login to character

Magus
Magus
✭✭✭✭✭
As title states, I used a change character name token and now I am unable to login to that character. I can login to all other characters without issue. Technical support ticket has not been helpful.

I'm sure I am not the first one to run into this issue, how did you solve this issue? Is it hosed and character needs to be deleted?

Also, there should a warning on using a character name token as it may destroy your ability to play a character.
Duraeon / Maoh
Former Emperor of Haderus, Trueflame, and Azura's Star
PC/NA
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    do you get an error msg?
  • Magus
    Magus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No error message, screen goes from character load to zone loading. I had customer support move the character twice, so tried loading into different zones. Client crashes to desktop with no error message in the middle of zone loading.
    Duraeon / Maoh
    PC/NA
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    maybe worth shutting game down completely and checking your task manager to see if eso client still running if so end task then re-log (give 5mins or so for character to log out the server) i some times have issue with the client running even after i have shut down the game
  • Magus
    Magus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have done a complete shutdown of PC, this issue has persisted across 3 days now. I thought maybe it would be a 24 hour processing or syncing process might occur with a name change. Maybe good idea to never use a character name token when the server hasn't had maintenance for 2+ weeks
    Duraeon / Maoh
    PC/NA
  • Magus
    Magus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is completely terrifying that you can lose all access to a character you spent hours working on. Luckily, this character was a newer one and wasn't holding any really expensive gear that I would otherwise never be able to access again.
    Duraeon / Maoh
    PC/NA
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    this may seem a strange suggestion but if you check your ESO_BUILD_BRANCH > SavedVariables file in documents you will see a file called ZO_Ingame its an LUA file just right click and open with notepad, you should see this string
    ["NameChange"] = and all your character names listed with a number where the "NameChange" is if the new name is not there then its either not been successful or the server not picked it up yet, if it is there copy the full line of txt and update your ticket, explain where you got the code string from so they can check if possible their end. not sure if this will help at all but is best i got
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be sure to list the ticket number in your thread here, @Magus ... that’s the only route you’re going to get help from ZOS.

Be persistent but polite.
  • Magus
    Magus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this may seem a strange suggestion but if you check your ESO_BUILD_BRANCH > SavedVariables file in documents you will see a file called ZO_Ingame its an LUA file just right click and open with notepad, you should see this string
    ["NameChange"] = and all your character names listed with a number where the "NameChange" is if the new name is not there then its either not been successful or the server not picked it up yet, if it is there copy the full line of txt and update your ticket, explain where you got the code string from so they can check if possible their end. not sure if this will help at all but is best i got

The new name is not in this file. The original character name is still there. I suspect if I change back to the original name, the character may work again
    Edited by Magus on January 3, 2020 10:01PM
    Duraeon / Maoh
    PC/NA
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magus wrote: »

The new name is not in this file.

if all the other characters are listed double check the date/time file was last modified if its after you changed name and you have logged in on other characters then it looks like it has not registered
  • Magus
    Magus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magus wrote: »

The new name is not in this file.

if all the other characters are listed double check the date/time file was last modified if its after you changed name and you have logged in on other characters then it looks like it has not registered

Yes, the date is after name change. Is there a way for them to force register?
    Duraeon / Maoh
    PC/NA
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    only ZOS can do that
  • DBZVelena
    DBZVelena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that it MIGHT be possible to edit the file yourself.
    BUT
    Before you do, first make a backup of the unedited file.

This way, if it doesn't work, you can replace the file with the back up.

Also when putting in the new name in place of the old one, make sure you got your punctuation right.

Also, if you by some chance mess up and your backup doesn't work. Removing the file forces the game to create a new one. This does mean you lose all your game settings though. (like graphic setting, sound, ect)
    Edited by DBZVelena on January 4, 2020 1:18AM
    What are Natch Potes? Can you eat those?
    I believe in Genie-Gina.
  • Magus
    Magus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DBZVelena wrote: »
    I think that it MIGHT be possible to edit the file yourself.
    BUT
    Before you do, first make a backup of the unedited file.

This way, if it doesn't work, you can replace the file with the back up.

Also when putting in the new name in place of the old one, make sure you got your punctuation right.

Also, if you by some chance mess up and your backup doesn't work. Removing the file forces the game to create a new one. This does mean you lose all your game settings though. (like graphic setting, sound, ect)

You're a genius. I did a simple Replace All and now it worked.
    Duraeon / Maoh
    PC/NA