Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Banning Addons?

• Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could tweak what data can be accessed, or some of the functions that addons use (things that cause excess load), without outright 'banning' mods. And someone misunderstanding what they're talking about could interpret them talking about the former as being the latter.
    Options
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people easily buy into rumors. I don’t.

because it is zos. can you believe that they will improve something? i cant. can you belive that they will break something significant or make something really stupid? i can :)
    Options
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would quit the game
    Options
  • Konstant_Tel_Necris
    Konstant_Tel_Necris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Removing mod support from an Elder Scrolls game is like shooting own foot, highly doubtful ZOS will go that way.
    Options
  • Gracous
    Gracous
    ✭✭✭
    I won,t believe it until i see it...or in this case don,t see it
    Options
  • Deldrach
    Deldrach
    ✭✭
    I would only quit if they ban the addons and not implement a mini-map ingame
    Can't play without that, is such simple thing but still makes all the difference
    Options
  • Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cooperate with the addon devs and implement useful ones to the base game (like they did with the AwesomeGuildStore) and problem solved. Otherwise, I do not believe ZOS would ban addons altogether. Addons are a core part of every Bethesda game and frankly, addons keep the games interesting for longer time.
    Options
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nanfoodle wrote: »
    the reason consoles are dying...is cuz no addons. :trollface:

Console is not doing well because they are playing on a console. Take away add ons and put them in the same pool as PC players and the quality of game play will go down. Also the hardware is not even close to PC. PC Master race is not just a saying, it's a reality.

Well, I tend to disagree. My experience on xb1 has been consistent, with very good graphics and very few problems with lag, disconnects, login issues etc. While PC's may have more powerful hardware, consoles do just fine. Fact is, few AAA developers will ignore consoles for for PC exclusives going forward. The "PC Master race" bs needs to stop.

PvPing I have played other games with friends on console vs PC and it's rare console takes the cake. Mouse and Keyboard almost always wins. Graphics on a mid range PC still wins. As for performance, it's bad on all systems regardless of hardware. If they optimise the game, we can talk about that then. I'm all for cross play but removing add ons from PC players would not help anyone, including console players. I had the option to buy ESO on the platform I wanted and picked PC because of add ons. ESO's UI is really bad.
    Options
  • Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason Zos has allowed addons is because it makes their job easier. If the playerbase is able ot fix a lot of QoL problems themselves, then it results in less complaints and less work for the devs. I don't see why they'd ban them.
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
    Options
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been joining random trade guilds just so I can type out in guild chat “it’s going to suck when these addons get banned.”

When people ask me where I heard that, I tell them I read it from the official eso Twitter. A few hours later, I leave the guild, join a new one, and do it all over again.

Don’t hate the player.
    Options
  • mustangmorgan31
    mustangmorgan31
    ✭✭✭✭
    ChunkyCat wrote: »
    I’ve been joining random trade guilds just so I can type out in guild chat “it’s going to suck when these addons get banned.”

When people ask me where I heard that, I tell them I read it from the official eso Twitter. A few hours later, I leave the guild, join a new one, and do it all over again.

Don’t hate the player.

lol You always make me laugh with your posts. :)
    Options
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if they do this, i don't know how i'll be able to enjoyably play this game anymore.

@ZOS_GinaBruno I do have to wonder how the new client will affect addons, can we get some info on that, please?
    Edited by JJBoomer on December 28, 2019 9:30PM
    Options
  • Zatox
    Zatox
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ban all braindead addons like "HEAVY ATTACK IN 3..2..1 BLOCK"
    Options
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it would be hilarious. Maybe then things would actually improve in the game. What reason do the devs have to improve the ui/buff trackers or other quality of life things for us console folks when they can just download something to make it look better for themselves and not worry about it?
    Options
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They'll have to pry Srendarr off my dead cold hands...
    Options
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be hilarious. Maybe then things would actually improve in the game. What reason do the devs have to improve the ui/buff trackers or other quality of life things for us console folks when they can just download something to make it look better for themselves and not worry about it?

Implying they'd ever fix the UI. The devs are already understaffed for the development of new content and doing testing before patches, they're not going to change minor things, just for QoL, unless the thing is broken - and then they tend to fix it after about 2 years, if you've noticed.

So don't hold your breath that taking symbolic revenge on the PC Master Race is going to improve your experience.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
    Options
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could see forced disabling of certain add-on functions in PVP. Specifically, anything that allowed data transfer to other people or anything that required an additional information call from the server.

I can in no way see any logical reason to ban addons for PVE.
    Options
  • Alphawolf01A
    Alphawolf01A
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a less sarcastic note, withe the long list of updates and performance fixes planned. There may be alot of interferance from the mods and add ons until the game has been overhauled and stabilized.
    Options
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Even if they did, the moment they start seeing there subscribers cancel in large numbers they would be in a panic to reverse the decision.

If the game was fine without add on's no one would have bothered using them.

I was a hold out for a long time with add on's but slowly over time I got a few here and there.

The vast majority of the ones I use are UI related and crafting related.
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    It's not remotely going to happen, but people might be surprised at how many performance issues were resolved if it did. Also, once they'd got used to the idea of not having their hand held through the major part of the game they might be surprised to realise that finding something through exploration is a lot less boring and tedious than following a marker on the map the whole time. It might reinvent "playing the game" rather than "chasing the endgame".
    That only affect client performance, yes ZoS has previously restricted access to some API calls regarding guild store sales as it created issues for the banking and trading system, they are free to do so but has not done so outside some situations.

The main issue with performance on PC is that people set up their graphic settings while questing and then go into Cyrodil or trials with the same settings and get lags, guess the same is true on consoles too to some degree as settings are not set up for worst case. Long called for other graphic settings for Cyrodil and trials.

On the other hand yes this will solve the issues with overpopulated PC-EU servers. I guess they would get an 20% drop, might be more.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • Heelie
    Heelie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    a tonne of content in this game would get a lot worse without addons I don't really see why they would do this? As for the stupid addons like MM and others that outright spam the server, they have a lot of tools to limit this witout outright banning addons.

Addons like Hodor Reflexes, CMX and bufftrackers, helps players perform at a much higher lvl than otherwise possible.
    Most OwOrated healer of all time
    Options
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be done with the game. I can't imagine doing crafting writs manually.
    Options
  • Numerikuu
    Numerikuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be fine with them removing addons...if they integrated certain addons into the game.

Literally 5 minutes into the game I logged off and went on a thorough addon hunt. The default UI for this game is absolutely atrocious imo.
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never play any of TES games with add-ons, including ESO, so it wouldn't make any difference to me.

But I can't imagine them outright banning add-ons after so many players have become used to them.

On the other hand, I've long suspected that part of the reason why some people have had so many problems with "the server" (which seems to have become the automatic scapegoat for everything, including people's computer or internet issues) might be due to all of the add-ons they're using. Because I usually don't experience all those problems (knock on wood), and I don't use add-ons.

What actually seems kind of funny to me is that whenever the question of whether or not to use Steam comes up (disclaimer: I use Steam), nearly everyone says "No, stay away from Steam, if you go that route you'll have all kinds of problems!" yet I'm not having these mysterious problems with Steam, although yes, there were like two times about two years ago when I wasn't able to sign on for two hours. And then on the other hand, if you look through the posts for the last few years you'll see many times where people are having problems and after hours or days of the issue they figure out that it's one of their add-ons, yet you'll never hear people say, "Stay away from add-ons, if you go that route you'll have all kinds of problems!" So I just have to turn my head to the side and go, "Huh?" But to each their own.

Even though I can't imagine an outright ban on add-ons, what I could imagine is some kind of change in the way add-ons are allowed, perhaps similar to the way that add-ons and mods are being handled in Skyrim SE with the Creation Club. Maybe not where you have to pay for each add-on (although I'm sure the add-on creators might enjoy that), but at least where there's a lot of control of add-ons on ZOS's side, meaning a more stringent vetting process. But then, I have zero idea of how all that is handled right now, so maybe they already have that kind of control?
    Edited by SeaGtGruff on December 28, 2019 11:29PM
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numerikuu wrote: »
    I'd be fine with them removing addons...if they integrated certain addons into the game.

Literally 5 minutes into the game I logged off and went on a thorough addon hunt. The default UI for this game is absolutely atrocious imo.

It was designed to be minimalist like the TES games, and like them the extra features that some players (not all) want was intended to be provided by addons. It was a fundamental request from TES players that a meaningful addon system should be incorporated into the base game, without it a lot of Skyrim etc veterans wouldn't have tried out ESO. Of course, ESO is not intended to be a traditional MMORPG and so people looking for a traditional MMORPG UI will find it lacking - on purpose.
    Options
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only use very few add-on and no one are for combat, so I don't really care.
    Would be actually fun to see how most PC player level is w/o all these combat assist they get :)

And also, most perf problem people get come from poorly scripted add-on.
    Edited by Aznarb on December 28, 2019 11:47PM
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

Options
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    We might expand it to the forums

*heavy sweating*
    Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My uncle works for ZOS.

This isn't a rumour, it's 100% true. Some other things confirmed for next patch:

- Flying mounts
    - Spellcrafting
    - Dwemer playable race
    - Bard class
    - New max gear level
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on December 28, 2019 11:54PM
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    zaria wrote: »
    We might expand it to the forums

*heavy sweating*

xzp6Ub0.gif
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • nolangrady
    nolangrady
    ✭✭✭
    Browart wrote: »
    Well if it was on twitch stream? What time it was because we can check it easily.

It was on a hidden channel only ZOS devs have access to. Since my uncle works for ZOS, I got to see it.

Epic trolling sir
    Options
This discussion has been closed.