The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

New Skills In Skyrim 2020 DLC ⚜ What New Skill Lines Might We See?

• Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do agree with weapons. None have been added since the base game. So its high chance they might pop in.

Would like to have the Bard as its own class tho.
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't see how a spellcrafting skill can be implemented in a way where it'd be actually spellcrating and not just messing about with a few morphs of a handful of skills or alternately completely unbalance the game and demand that you get the Skyrim expansion to be viable in endgame. So thanks, but no thanks.
    Same goes for shout skill line, which wouldn't just be lorebreaking unless the whole skill line is you learning one fragment of one single shout, it would also be deeply unbalancing.

Edit: My own hope? A magicka based weapon skill line that isn't staves (or wands). We have enough stam weapons as it is, we don't need more.
    Edited by redgreensunset on December 15, 2019 12:24PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wolfbone wrote: »
    dragon born!!!

but, why do people keep datamining the game only to post the spoilers here? klind of ruins the hype

Can't be Dragonborn. That's the one thing you can't be, because the whole point of the Main Quest, the Planemeld, Imperial City, and the Daedric Wars arc is that there is no Dragonborn who can relight the Dragonfires and keep the Daedric Princes from directly messing with Nirn.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are three mandatory factors for a new weapon skill line:

- Magicka focused
    - Ranged (melee as well)
    - Alternative tanking / healing weapon

PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, according to that leaked roadmap image, Skyrim DLC was confirmed long before official announce:
    tdTajkZ6YXU.jpg
    so it maybe spellcrafting
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »
    well, according to that leaked roadmap image, Skyrim DLC was confirmed long before official announce:
    tdTajkZ6YXU.jpg

When / by whom was this leaked?

It's quite surprising that they'll announce the next Chapter so early, Morrowind / Summerset where announced end of January, Elsweyr in March (iirc). Maybe this shows that they've planned this a bit longer and more meticulously than previous Chapters.
    Edited by Seraphayel on December 15, 2019 12:36PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    don't know, but link goes to game-maps.com. Here is full image:
    IyMOpAI317Y.jpg
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I want is Spellcrafting. The College of Winterhold basically gives us everything needed to make it happen.

Spellcrafting hate in this forum is unreal. With the latest updates to the game and baselining everything they already made the groundwork for Spellcrafting to be actually good and balanced.

Yeah, I don't understand why people hate fun. We haven't had a proper game system addition since the justice system, how much longer do they expect ESO to remain this stale?
    Faulgor wrote: »
    I don't get how people can be for 1h+spell but against spellcrafting.

What exactly do you expect to equip into your other hand alongside a 1h weapon if not a spell? A spell that you would have to ... craft?

A 1h + rune weapon skill line will have an Ultimate and five active abilities - that is what you have equipped in your other hand.

Maybe you misunderstand?
    Dual wield means you have a 1h weapon in each hand.
    1h + shield means you have a 1h weapon in your right and a shield in your left hand.
    1h + "rune" (that's not what runes are in TES, but whatever) means you have a 1h weapon in one hand, and another item / equipment piece in the other. What is it?

Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IyMOpAI317Y.jpg

Very interesting but I basically have no idea why this should be real. If this was leaked early 2019 I'd agree due to it foreshadowing Scalebreaker and Dragonhold, if not this is just fan fiction imho.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just a bit of speculation on what we might see in 2020, what do you guys think?
    Hope ya'll enjoy!

https://youtu.be/TJPJEPmLVTs

Spell sword for the love of sanguine. We have mages, we have warriors, we have rogues, we do not have sword and spell which is very well established in tes lore. It needs to be a weapon line available to everyone tho.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IyMOpAI317Y.jpg

Very interesting but I basically have no idea why this should be real. If this was leaked early 2019 I'd agree due to it foreshadowing Scalebreaker and Dragonhold, if not this is just fan fiction imho.

Looks just like somebody's prediction instead of a leak.
    Note how it lists "New Arena" under the Dragonhold DLC. Never happened.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping for a bard class with its associated skills
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1h & Rune!
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol they are adding a skill line before fixing g the travesty of champion points. Any thing to make money not make the game better and deeper. Such a shame.
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if it’s just bait planted to create hype?
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    even easier than that, simply equip 1 weapon and if you have nothing in your off hand it counts as 2 set pieces and the values of the weapon change or the 1h+spell line has a passive that compensates for the lower values

Easier, yes, but they're not going to let you use those swords you farmed in 2016.

There has to be a new inventory item for the weapon. If they add a new off-hand weapon to pair with those old swords, it would involve deeper crafting system changes (new mats, and either a new table or new functions on an existing table). Making a new "Spellsword" item is simpler because they can just add it to the regular Blacksmithing table with no complications.

I guess how they choose to implement it all depends on how simple they want it to be. The simpler the itemization is, the better, imo, so they can focus their effort on making the skill line itself awesome.
  • Beffagorn
    Beffagorn
    ✭✭✭
    ZoS can barely balance the game as it is...You honestly think they going to add Spellcrafting? It'll only lead to a disaster of epic proportions.

I'm hoping for a FULL classes rework, both passives and active abilities. Classes like Stamdks and Stamsorcs have been left behind since forever, both can't hold a candle compared to Wardens and Necromancers.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tdTajkZ6YXU.jpg
    You are toying with my heart, here. Someone please figure out exactly where this craziness came from. :unamused:

• tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see Spears come in.

I get that it might be tough to put them in, considering they'd be a brand new weapon, but it'd be easy to unlock the spear crafting motifs with the staves since they're both polearms. Heck, there are several staves that almost look like they could be spears in the first place.

And the variety - pikes, glaives, halberds, naginatas - depending on which motif you have. That would be the most awesome thing.
  • Ksariyu
    Ksariyu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see some new skill lines, but honestly there's no point as the game currently stands.
    • We already have six classes that, for the most part, feel identical to play save for a skill or two each.
    • There's only three roles, and yet there's still tons of overlap between them (All tanks heal, all DPS heal, all Healers DPS, etc.)
    • There's no archetypes or specializations, such as Burst vs. Sustain, Shielding vs. Healing, or any kind of support role outside of healing (So for everyone saying Bard, probably not). Everyone just kind of has everything all the time.

Even a new crafting skill would just feel redundant at this point, especially as crafting keeps becoming less and less impactful. Instead of a new skill line, I would love to see some major reworks to the current combat and class systems that would not only make what we have now more engaging, but also create some space for new classes/skill lines in the future.
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see Spears come in.

I get that it might be tough to put them in, considering they'd be a brand new weapon, but it'd be easy to unlock the spear crafting motifs with the staves since they're both polearms. Heck, there are several staves that almost look like they could be spears in the first place.

And the variety - pikes, glaives, halberds, naginatas - depending on which motif you have. That would be the most awesome thing.

Maybe! But it'll absolutely require new motif styles. Staff motifs weren't designed to stab people. A few (like Altmer) would work, but most wouldn't. Some would be absurd and/or awesome, depending on how you categorize poking people with a decapitated ram head. Maybe staff motifs should be an option, but physical combat spears really need a whole new line of motifs separate from magical staves. It would be a never-ending joke for the rest of MMO history if they launch with magic staff motifs as the only options for spears.

Introducing Spears (or any other weapon requiring new models) would be a huuuge art project, and also create an unnecessary complication for crafters who need to learn those motifs. They'd have to devise some system for farming the new Spear styles... sounds like a lot of work for them and a potential headache for us.

Most likely, they'll take the easy route and introduce a weapon line that can use existing models, like new staves or spellsword in some form or another. There's tons of room to grow the game there without the extra models and style farming requirements.

Then again, this next patch is the big "redownload the whole game" patch, so it's anybody's guess how big they're actually going this time.
  • Taunky
    Taunky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ew. Self promotion.
  • Ksariyu
    Ksariyu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    I don't get how people can be for 1h+spell but against spellcrafting.

What exactly do you expect to equip into your other hand alongside a 1h weapon if not a spell? A spell that you would have to ... craft?

A 1h + rune weapon skill line will have an Ultimate and five active abilities - that is what you have equipped in your other hand.

Again, what will you have equipped in your other hand? So it's basically a "two handed" (left hand weapon, right hand rune) skill line with 5 skills + 1 ultimate or what? How boring would that be honestly.

Sounds more like you want a new crafting line than a new weapon line. Which, I guess could be cool, but it's certainly not the same, and I'm not sure how they'd fit it into the current skill system. After all, why bother with a normal skilline when you can just craft the new meta skillset every patch?
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dwemer engineering
  • IndianaJames7
    IndianaJames7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d love to see a well implemented spell crafting, but at the same time I am glad that I am not the person tasked with the nightmare that balancing it will likely be. Really don’t want to see dragon shouts, because we aren’t Dragonborn and that would be a lore breaking step too far for me.

What I would really like is for something new that no one ever asked for or suspected to really blow us away with its creativity and implementation. This is of course a very tall order.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe! But it'll absolutely require new motif styles. Staff motifs weren't designed to stab people. A few (like Altmer) would work, but most wouldn't. Some would be absurd and/or awesome, depending on how you categorize poking people with a decapitated ram head. Maybe staff motifs should be an option, but physical combat spears really need a whole new line of motifs separate from magical staves. It would be a never-ending joke for the rest of MMO history if they launch with magic staff motifs as the only options for spears.

Introducing Spears (or any other weapon requiring new models) would be a huuuge art project, and also create an unnecessary complication for crafters who need to learn those motifs. They'd have to devise some system for farming the new Spear styles... sounds like a lot of work for them and a potential headache for us.

Most likely, they'll take the easy route and introduce a weapon line that can use existing models, like new staves or spellsword in some form or another. There's tons of room to grow the game there without the extra models and style farming requirements.

Then again, this next patch is the big "redownload the whole game" patch, so it's anybody's guess how big they're actually going this time.

Oh I don't mean to imply using the staff as a spear, just that they unlock the new style in the same motif chapter as the staff - sort of like how the 'axe' chapter unlocks war axes and battleaxes. Just rename the "Crafting Motif X: Staves" to "Crafting Motif X: Polearms" or something and have it unlock both styles.

I know this would be a huge art undertaking - but it would be awesome at the same time. I love seeing all of the styles they have, especially looking at many of them with real-world equivalents and designs, so I'd love to see another set of weapons they made. Just thinking of something like the Breton style as halberds, the Argonian style pointed stick, the Akaviri style naginatas, and the Khajiit glaives...
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I don't mean to imply using the staff as a spear, just that they unlock the new style in the same motif chapter as the staff - sort of like how the 'axe' chapter unlocks war axes and battleaxes. Just rename the "Crafting Motif X: Staves" to "Crafting Motif X: Polearms" or something and have it unlock both styles.

Ooooooooh. Yes. That's a brilliant solution to eliminate the motif-farm-nobody-wants-to-do. Let's hope for that, if they add spears. I still doubt they'll take on the extra art project while easier options exist, but we'll see!
  • The_Drop_Bear
    The_Drop_Bear
    ✭✭✭
    Not only I think there will be Bard's college/guild but I hope there will be also a guild for the Dragon Priests, most likely as the necro puts a resembled mask on in the video. I am pretty confident and 100% sure we will have something to do with Dragon Priests.

That mask is part of the dragonhold dlc, it has both to do with the Skyrim dlc.

Also how will you have a dragon priest guild when the dragon cult is long since been exterminated.
  • The_Drop_Bear
    The_Drop_Bear
    ✭✭✭
    wolfbone wrote: »
    dragon born!!!

but, why do people keep datamining the game only to post the spoilers here? klind of ruins the hype

No that would break the plot of the main game and the elswyer dlcs.
  • VocalThought
    VocalThought
    ✭✭✭
    As far as weapon skills go, if people are going to suggest a one-handed & rune, why not have just rune magic. It shouldn't matter if it's one-handed rune, weapon and rune, or dual weld runes. I think all three should fit n this weapon skill. I also think they could add spears and crossbows to the game as their own weapon skills.

I think a nice world skill could be unarmed/unarmored combat. I spoke about this in another thread, but having perks to fighting without weapons or armor, and adding flips and kicks would be great.

If they would add Shouts to the game that would be nice. They could have it where you use soul gems to capture the soul of a dragon and have to use the gem every time you wanted to use a shout.

Spell Crafting would be nice. It could be like creating a spell book, scroll, or orbs that you would cast spells from. Maybe they'll be spells of all the classes there for all abilities wll be available for all players.