Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Do abilities actually increase in power as they level?

bkpiazzab14_ESO
Besides being able to morph abilities, do the stats of the skill actually change as they gain level ie would a DoT skill have higher damage output at a higher level than at level one? or is leveling a skill just for the ability to morph it?

also second question, are you able to morph a skill more than once?
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yea the ranks change how powerful they are some, but they also scale with your character level so it isn't by a gigantic amount.

Only one morph right now.
  • LunaRae
    LunaRae
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's a lot of stuff going on in the background and unfortunately as a player you might not notice these slight changes.

As you level up and as abilities level up (not morphing) pay attention to the actual values described in an ability. You should see it increase over time.

As for your second question I do not believe any ability can be morphed a second time (yet). This may change in a future update.
    Stands-Strong-As-Snow ~ Argonian Templar DC NA V14
    Ytheri ~ Argonian Nightblade EP Thornblade NA V14
    Heals-All-Colours ~ Argonian Templar EP Thornblade NA V14
    Stands-In-Still-Waters~ Argonian Sorcerer EP Thornblade NA V2
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also note, the exp for a skill is linked to the morph, so if you get skill A and morph it to A1, then max it out at rank IV. If you then reset your skills, and morph skill A to A2, it will only be rank I (but the skill A will still be at rank IV)

This may not sound important, but at V10, you currently can no longer get skill exp (they do not level) so if you reset your skills then to try something new.... its bad. So it pays to play around more with the skills while you level.
  • Tetujin
    Tetujin
    ✭✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »
    Also note, the exp for a skill is linked to the morph, so if you get skill A and morph it to A1, then max it out at rank IV. If you then reset your skills, and morph skill A to A2, it will only be rank I (but the skill A will still be at rank IV)

This may not sound important, but at V10, you currently can no longer get skill exp (they do not level) so if you reset your skills then to try something new.... its bad. So it pays to play around more with the skills while you level.

You are saying that the skills themselves no longer level up when you hit VR10? Like, if you decide after hitting VR10 that you want to pick a skill from another line, you can not morph it because you cannot get it to rank IV?
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »
    This may not sound important, but at V10, you currently can no longer get skill exp (they do not level) so if you reset your skills then to try something new.... its bad.

That's ridiculous. Surely that must be an oversight.
  • Aellikor
    Aellikor
    ✭✭
    Boy would I love to have formal ZOS validation on intended skill XP gain at VR cap.

Is it intended that skills stop advancing once you hit veteran cap? Or is it a bug?

Has to be a bug - what would their reasoning possibly be? What if I decide to start playing with Aedric Spear line at VR10? As of today is untouched.

Just to add, could not find clarity here: help.elderscrollsonline.com
    Edited by Aellikor on April 16, 2014 9:20PM
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yea I'm thinking that should change if true. Course we already know they're raising the VR rank to at least 12 with Craglorn so it's a temporary issue anyway right now.