Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The bluescreens on console are plaguing my PlayStation!!!

• Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Have you done a PS4 rebuild database?
    I have to do that more often when a program like ESO corrupts and fragments my drive.

^^^ This. ESO needs to be able to read and write the HDD constantly. The more stuff you have on the HDD ( more than 50% full) and the more fragmented it is the longer it takes to get the data it needs. All it does is cause the game to become unstable.

Ironically, BSOD on PC is typically caused by a memory issue and so is the one on PS4(in ESO's case)

Can anyone explain to me why TESO is the only game that BSOD my system (PC!) as soon as I turn up any graphics above "low" - esp. Shadows?

A problem I didn't have six months ago. Was playing at Ultra/High graphic settings just fine - and some random patch happens, and ever since then the game BSOD my system if I attempt to play with graphics above low.

Customer Support has been useless - but I did try. They just insist its my hardware and give me no further guidance. Posted in the forums here for support - no one can really help - they send me back to CS which sends me to hardware.

But I've run every test I can find - no issues. Memtest, graphics card tests and tests under loads, HD tests, etc. All "no problems detected."

I play RDR2 offline and online - no issues. (Graphics on medium to ultra - including shadows on high - 40-60FPS in game online/offline). I play Outer Worlds on High/Ultra graphics - not a single problem. WoW, SWTOR< every other mmo I play - no problems.

Load up TESO - go from "low" to medium and BSOD immediately. Sometimes I can get the other settings working at medium (sometimes higher!) but as soon as Shadows goes from off/low to medium - BSOD.

WTH?!

Its a memory AMOUNT problem, not a memory FAILURE problem. Also RDR1&2 have both had BSOD issues, just not for you. Increasing shadows increases the load significantly on an already strained system.
  • apri
    apri
    ✭✭✭✭
    a lot of things
    I run ESO off a SSD, it still crashes. It's the only game of my broad collection (including FF 14, GTA, Destiny and other high-demanding games of the same or similar game genre) that does crash. The other games simply do not crash or crash a lot less frequently. Also ESO did crash less frequently not too long ago. It's not a console-issue we are talking here. It's a game-issue.
    Edited by apri on December 12, 2019 9:03PM
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still experiencing plenty of crashes to dashboard on PS4 Pro playing PS NA server after this latest patch.

Is this being surgically addressed by skilled PlayStation coders or are we just throwing stuff at the wall out of desperation to see if anything sticks?

Because I keep seeing patch notes using phrases like "in an effort to improve client stability" and "to help with overall stability"

I appreciate the honesty - I really do. But it's literally been months of load screens and crashes on PS4 and now it just feels like there's no end in sight. Can someone please wrap their arms around this issue and get things back under control? Because the notes make it sound like you're trying, but really don't know for sure how to fix it. That's a bit alarming.

I do enjoy the game. But this constant blue-screen issue is really, really getting old now.
    PS4NA
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all,

We understand this is incredibly frustrating and just wanted to confirm that we are aware the issue is not completely resolved. We are currently testing additional fixes to help improve stability on PlayStation and once we verify these improvements, we will include them in an incremental patch.

We'll keep you updated if anything changes. Thank you again for your patience here.
    Staff Post
  • cheifsoap
    cheifsoap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all,

We understand this is incredibly frustrating and just wanted to confirm that we are aware the issue is not completely resolved. We are currently testing additional fixes to help improve stability on PlayStation and once we verify these improvements, we will include them in an incremental patch.

We'll keep you updated if anything changes. Thank you again for your patience here.

I assume after the holidays?
  • RedGirl41
    RedGirl41
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone, we're planning to have a patch on December 18th to make some tweaks that should help PlayStation performance. Thank you again for your patience here.
    So this update did literally nothing. Are you guys going to make a formal announcement to fix console? We are all bluescreening nonstop.

The entire game just crashed for everyone in my party and then we were placed in a queue, then we bluescreened again. Figure ur priorities out before releasing Skyrim next year

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_BrianWheeler
    Edited by RedGirl41 on December 19, 2019 8:34PM
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all,

Thanks for the acknowledgement @ZOS_SarahHecker - For what it's worth, it really does feel like a memory leak... still.

You'll get to your next crash a lot faster if you've been around a lot of other players in the recent past. The more you're involved in heavy fighting, the sooner that crash happens. But you can go a long time in Cyrodiil without a crash if you avoid all action.

I should mention that the crash itself can happen even when you're turning in bounties, long after the last big fight has ended. It's not specific to what you're doing at the time, it's more about what you've been up to in the last hour or so. It's like the game client finally runs out of memory, and off to the dashboard we go.

I've tried a pre-emptive "/reloadui" just as a test and that doesn't reset the clock either. The only sure way to not experience a crash is to force-close the app every hour or so, and then log back in. Basically reset the client at a convenient moment, before it dumps you at an inconvenient one.

Edited by dotme on December 19, 2019 10:01PM
    PS4NA
  • FenrisWolf1136
    FenrisWolf1136
    ✭✭✭
    Hey all,

Incredibly Frustrating was a month ago. Now its bordering the question if ZOS knows what they are doing... The fixes applied lately tend to be more broken than the previous patch.
    Programmer of FenrisBot for discord.
    The helper bot for ESO. Console Focused.
    Check out https://norsewolfgames.com/fenrisbot for more information or to add it to your discord!
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup...frustrated is long gone...
    I’m completely stupefied now
  • regime211
    regime211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SillyGT wrote: »
    Since eso is literally unplayable because of crashing every 20 minutes in playing different games and it causes them to crash as well I’ve played this other game for 2 years and never have it happened once and since dragon hold I’ve crashed on a different game 6 times now in the last couple of days! How aren’t the severs taken down and fixed immediately? It’s literally ruining my gaming experience as a whole not just on eso

Naw G L2P.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Played 3-4 hours no crashes :) Thought it was fixed or greatly reduced. Crashed 3 times in next within the next 2 hours, last on I just quit. :/

PS4 pro NA
    Edited by Hotdog_23 on December 20, 2019 12:10PM
  • SanguineMyBrother
    SanguineMyBrother
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel for my console cousins. I hope this is fixed for you soon :(
    Xbox NA • Magwarden Main
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    cheifsoap wrote: »
    If you have an SSD you shouldn't have to rebuild/defrag. If anything, it's bad for the SSD

What rebuild database actually does is rebuild the file table.
    PFS (Psydo File System) is the file system used by (at least) downloadable content and games on the PS4. It is loosely based on the UFS (Unix File System) used in FreeBSD and as such is not susceptable to heavy fragmentation because nearly all BSD variants of Unix attempt to keep fragmentation to a minimum by writing related data blocks within the same cylinder group.
    Also unless you have an ancient SSD defrag will not harm it.

https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/PFS

https://www.itworld.com/article/2812382/unix-tip--fragmentation-and-unix-file-systems.html

Please don't tell people to defrag a SSD. This is incorrect. Windows 7/10 and later disable defragmentation for SSD for a reason. Because running disk defrag on an SSD writes to the volume multiple times, and every SSD has a mean failure in TBW(Terrabytes Written) since the flash memory has a limited amount of writes before it fails, dis defragmenting speeds this up significantly.

Windows 7/10 and later send TRIM commands to the drive instead which the SSD firmware will then mark areas as ready to write again and will wear level the drive over time.

On non-Windows systems such as a PS4 you can TRIM the drive by simply leaving the PS4 idle for awhile and doing nothing as the drive firmware will TRIM the drive automatically when it's idle. Windows and Linux/Unix based operating systems can send TRIM commands on demand as needed.

There is no reason to defrag an SSD. It has no moving parts and no drive heads nor platters that spin like a traditional hard drive. Hard drives were defrag to put data next to each other on the spinning platters. Newer file systems such as NTFS, EXT3, EXT4, etc are journals and use festured such as NCQ(Native Command Queing) if the hard drive supports it to attempt to buffer and write data in a more sequential manner.

Be easy on those SSD 😀
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cheifsoap wrote: »
    If you have an SSD you shouldn't have to rebuild/defrag. If anything, it's bad for the SSD

What rebuild database actually does is rebuild the file table.
    PFS (Psydo File System) is the file system used by (at least) downloadable content and games on the PS4. It is loosely based on the UFS (Unix File System) used in FreeBSD and as such is not susceptable to heavy fragmentation because nearly all BSD variants of Unix attempt to keep fragmentation to a minimum by writing related data blocks within the same cylinder group.
    Also unless you have an ancient SSD defrag will not harm it.

https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/PFS

https://www.itworld.com/article/2812382/unix-tip--fragmentation-and-unix-file-systems.html

Please don't tell people to defrag a SSD. This is incorrect. Windows 7/10 and later disable defragmentation for SSD for a reason. Because running disk defrag on an SSD writes to the volume multiple times, and every SSD has a mean failure in TBW(Terrabytes Written) since the flash memory has a limited amount of writes before it fails, dis defragmenting speeds this up significantly.

Windows 7/10 and later send TRIM commands to the drive instead which the SSD firmware will then mark areas as ready to write again and will wear level the drive over time.

On non-Windows systems such as a PS4 you can TRIM the drive by simply leaving the PS4 idle for awhile and doing nothing as the drive firmware will TRIM the drive automatically when it's idle. Windows and Linux/Unix based operating systems can send TRIM commands on demand as needed.

There is no reason to defrag an SSD. It has no moving parts and no drive heads nor platters that spin like a traditional hard drive. Hard drives were defrag to put data next to each other on the spinning platters. Newer file systems such as NTFS, EXT3, EXT4, etc are journals and use festured such as NCQ(Native Command Queing) if the hard drive supports it to attempt to buffer and write data in a more sequential manner.

Be easy on those SSD 😀

Please understand that the rebuild database utility on PS4 is not a defrag, but a file allocation table rebuild and a chkdsk/f equivalent.
    Edited by TequilaFire on December 20, 2019 1:45PM
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW endurance specs on my Crucial MX500 1TB:

Life Expectancy (MTTF)
    1.8 million hours
    Endurance
    250GB drive: 100TB Total Bytes
    Written (TBW), equal to 54GB
    per day for 5 years
    500GB drive: 180TB Total Bytes
    Written (TBW), equal to 98GB
    per day for 5 years
    1TB drive: 360TB Total Bytes
    Written (TBW), equal to 197GB
    per day for 5 years

2TB drive: 700TB Total Bytes
    Written (TBW), equal to 383GB
    per day for 5 years

I think it will out last my PS4.
    Current cost of the drive is $107.00 on Amazon right now, so even if I had to replace it every couple of years it cost less than people spend on crown store crap. lol
    Edited by TequilaFire on December 20, 2019 2:00PM