Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Quest "The Good Bits" Southern Elsweyr problem

FanmaR
FanmaR
✭✭✭
Hello all,

For the quest "The Good Bits" in Southern Elsweyr you have to collect bones. The weird thing is, this quest appeared in my journal after I accepted my first dailies. Now after collecting the bones I have to report back to "Dahfnar" but he doesn't appear at his quest marker. People tell me I wasn't supposed to have this quest yet and that's why he won't appear. But this is obviously quite a major bug.

• FanmaR
    FanmaR
    ✭✭✭
    I asked around and at least two other players have the same problem.
  • ChrystalWind
    ChrystalWind
    ✭✭✭
    I got the quest from "Dahfnar" like I am supposed to and turned in the bones then he tells me this long story about other bits that can be gathered from the dragons to make things. He even has me read a list on the table and tells me to take a copy for myself. There is a marker on the list on the table. Then there is NO quest at all. I am confused, why did he want me to have the list and tell me how to butcher the dragon to gather the stuff if he doesn't want me to do something with that information? it feels like there should be a quest that uses that info but I don't have one. is this yet another bug? or just another dead end?
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I had the same thing happen, but later when I was doing dragon dailies, there were what looked like dead thunder beetles in the dragon area which I could interact with and collect the dragon spit. I think when I went back to him it completed the quest, and now I can get dragon rheum with dragon kills. I assume that is a alchemy mat or something.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @FanmaR @ChrystalWind

On which platform and mega-server do the problems you encountered occur? ZOS cannot investigate without that information. Please read and follow Guidelines For Bug Report Forum when you post a bug report.

@ChrystalWind

If I Recall Correctly: after the document appears on Dhafnar's work station and you have read it, look around the location after your character kills another dragon. If you see a white arrowhead, then the object(s) will display an Interactive Prompt to collect "Dragon Spit". When you next interact with Dhafnar, your character can give it to him. Then he will tell you about a "special" dragon fluid that you can subsequently receive when your character loots a dead dragon, called Dragon Rheum. It is used in Alchemy crafting.

Edited by Shadowshire on December 2, 2019 5:26AM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That’s...pretty much exactly what I said.

Who are you anyway @Shadowshire ? You don’t have ZOS in front of your name but act like you do, posting rules on everyone’s threads.

PS4/NA if it really matters
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    That’s...pretty much exactly what I said.

Who are you anyway @Shadowshire ? You don’t have ZOS in front of your name but act like you do, posting rules on everyone’s threads.

PS4/NA if it really matters
    Yes, it does really matter -- although not with regard to your reply to the OP. It must be disclosed by @FanmaR who wrote the OP.

For what it is worth, in my experience and observation, no one on the ZOS forum staff will inform a player that their Bug Report does not contain essential information. That takes too much time and effort. It is why Gina Bruno wrote the Guidelines.

So, they expect a player who reports a bug to follow the Guidelines. If the bug report contains enough information and evidence, such as screenshots or copies of error messages, to merit the attention of the developers, then the staff will follow-up if they need more information.

Else, it is simpler to just ignore the report as something that they don't have the time to make the effort to do anything about because the player who wrote it apparently did not read and follow the Guidelines.

As to who I am: just an experienced player. And I am a retired former programmer and systems analyst who was involved with developing software, beta-testing software, and de-bugging software longer than I care to remember. I've been posting messages on online "forums" since they were invented. All of them have FAQs, guidelines, and rules which, it seems, hardly anyone bothers to read. :smile:

• katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This kind of problem would be more of an algorithmic problem, if it were one. I would expect it on all platforms.

Turns out, I think the OP just needed more info from other players because it’s a bit confusing when the quest disappears from your journal but is not yet done.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    This kind of problem would be more of an algorithmic problem, if it were one. I would expect it on all platforms.
    Hmmm ... have you earned a degree in Computer Science or an equivalent discipline? The Original Post by FanmaR discloses the problem:

" ....The weird thing is, this quest appeared in my journal after I accepted my first dailies."

Yes, that would certainly be a bug, on the face of it. It should not be in the Journal unless it has been started by a "quest giver". The daily quests in the Dragonhold Sanctuary don't have anything to do with interacting with Dhafnar, who is not even present for a while. (Note that the start of a quest is usually the outcome of a dialog with a NPC. But the start of a quest might be the outcome from interacting with an object in the game such as a document, a container, etc.)

Regardless, the event described might occur only on one platform and/or one of the two mega-servers. The game host software on the NA and EU mega-servers, respectively, is not identical. The software developed for each of the four platforms is certainly not identical. The algorithms might be "the same" with regard to the design of the Journal feature, in this case. But the implementation of the design is most likely the source of the problem, and that is not at all the same.
    Turns out, I think the OP just needed more info from other players because it’s a bit confusing when the quest disappears from your journal but is not yet done.
    The person who needed more info from other players was ChrystalWind. In effect, their reply is not to the original OP, but instead reports a different problem regarding the quest "The Good Bits". It is indeed confusing.

If I recall correctly, the start of the quest "The Good Bits" was not announced on the HUD after Dhafnar gave it, but I found it in the Journal afterward. (The absence of the announcement would be a bug.) After my character returned with the Dragon Spit, Dhafnar remarked that there were other usable "good bits" from Dragon corpses and mentioned the document he wrote, before he gave the reward for completing the quest.

Personally, I was expecting "The Good Bits" would continue with finding more "good bits", so the conclusion left me wondering what to do next. After reading the document flagged by a white arrowhead pointing to it, I don't recall what I did after that. ....

• Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, once you read the document about other bits that can be gathered, that's pretty much the end of that quest. The benefit is that you can now get an extra alchemy ingredient from dragons.
    The only real bug that I can see in the original posting above is that this quest normally only unlocks if you have either completed the first part of the main zone questline (saved Senchal from the dragon), or done 12 (I think) daily dragonguard quests (or both?). (That's my experience on PC/NA anyway).
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Actually @Shadowshire I was going to let you have the last word but then you questioned my education and work experience.

I have a MS in physics, but I worked as a algorithm developer for a company that handled parallel processing of big data on Cray supercomputers for multiple customers for almost 20 years, so I do know a thing or two.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually @Shadowshire I was going to let you have the last word but then you questioned my education and work experience.

I have a MS in physics, but I worked as a algorithm developer for a company that handled parallel processing of big data on Cray supercomputers for multiple customers for almost 20 years, so I do know a thing or two.
    Since you know what an algorithm is, I suspected as much. :smiley: