Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Is the Palomino horse worth it ??

Lymark
Lymark
I'm currently lvl 13 and really want to get a horse just to help out carrying more stuff and for traveling. However, Im earning money very slowly. Anyone here has already bought the horse ? Is it worth it?
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Posted this in another thread but the forum sucks for categories and the threads just fly by so here is my take on horses for you

The imperial, the eso store horse and the common 17k horse are the same.

All horses can be upgraded 49 times by feeding which costs you 250 each feeding.

The early horses are pretty worthless.. as they will never be as fast as the fast horse

I suggest you make your first imperial or eso horse a pack horse for normal playing to give you more pack space. Do this by feeding it pack food.

Save up and buy 40k horse for speed. Upgrade it only with speed feed so you end up with the fastest horse... then pull it out of the stable when you want speed over pack space..

I wouldn't waste your first 17k just to get a lame horse.

So it's just if you want to spend money on a slow horse that will cost a lot to upgrade to a point where it will never be as good as the better horses.
    Edited by Etchesketch on April 4, 2014 5:56PM
    The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • Ashigaru
    Ashigaru
    ✭✭✭✭
    The thing about the storage on a mount is that it is not on the mount. You pay 250 gold a day to increase storage through the horse merchant ui and that increases your inventory by 1 slot per day that you "feed" your horse to increase your storage. All you need to do is have the horse chosen as your mount and you will get the inventory increase.

Myself i have 3 different horses depending on what i will be doing, speed for cyrodiil, stamina for pve questing (so mobs don't knock me off as easy) and storage for when i am grinding a dungeon or such and need the storage space.

If you just keep at it you should have the money soon, just sell your drops, a guildy purchased the brown horse and it took him 3 days to make it.
  • dannomite82
    dannomite82
    ✭✭
    Basically you're just buying 17k gold for money. If you have the Imperial Edition, it's the same starting stats. However, if you just want a unique looking horse, then you might find it worth it.
    Holgrum put some pants on. Holgrum heal me I'm dying. Nag... Nag... Nag...
  • Lymark
    Lymark
    Since Imperial horse isnt that great, I think its better just set it as storage horse?
  • Phoebvs
    Phoebvs
    I have just found out (Google helped))) that you're not just buying one horse (at least true for IE) for 1 gp, but you can fill your stables with 1 gp horses for maximum capacity for all your characters.

The point is: almost instant inventory increase for twinks.
  • dannomite82
    dannomite82
    ✭✭
    Costs money to increase your stables, and the horses start with 0 carry capacity and can go up by 1 item slot per 20 hours. You can only gain the inventory bonus of your active horse.
    Holgrum put some pants on. Holgrum heal me I'm dying. Nag... Nag... Nag...
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Phoebvs wrote: »
    I have just found out (Google helped))) that you're not just buying one horse (at least true for IE) for 1 gp, but you can fill your stables with 1 gp horses for maximum capacity for all your characters.

The point is: almost instant inventory increase for twinks.

You have to pay 250 every 20 hours to increase your pack slots by one slot each time..

Your cheap horses have zero
    The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • Lymark
    Lymark
    Well, i guess there is no good reason to pay $15 for the horse then....
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lymark wrote: »
    Well, i guess there is no good reason to pay $15 for the horse then....

well if it's worth it to you, like I say, I want a fast horse and a pack horse. If you wanted to train up a free/paid horse as the pack horse, it would be pretty cool. It's the only way I would train the cheap horses at all. It won't carry what the stout horse will be able to, but you could be training the cheap horse while you save for the fast one.

Would take just a little longer to get your fast one but the 250 a day isn't that much really.

• loops73
    loops73
    ✭✭
    You would have to be *** to spend $15 on that horse..$5 I could see, but $15 is highway robbery.
  • Saera
    Saera
    ✭✭✭
    Where are you guys seeing the store at?
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Phoebvs
    Phoebvs
    ***, my bad. thought it's the basic horse that has starting 10 slots.
  • AtomZer0
    AtomZer0
    I honestly don't see the point of the Palomino Horse. It is $15 and you can't use it till level 10 and it has the same stats as the common horse.
    For $5 more ($20 total) you can upgrade to the Imperial Edition (assuming you don't have it) and you get the imperial white horse, which you can get at any level, and is the same stats as Palomino/Common, PLUS you get all the imperial edition bonuses.

Honestly, I can't believe they're charging $15 for it. It's Oblivion horse armor all over again in my opinion.
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    It depends on how much cash you have to spend on games. To some people, $15 is a lot of money. Others hardly would notice it.

One point people are missing is that ALL of your characters can by a palomino for 1g so it's not just one horse.
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • AtomZer0
    AtomZer0
    I agree, if it's worth it to you, and you have the money, fine, I'm not judging anyone that buys it. I'm judging the price they set it at. It's $5 dollars less than the Imperial Edition Upgrade and the Imperial Edition upgrade comes with a horse that is also 1g for all characters, but you also get a new race, a unique crafting style, mudcrab pet, and rings of mara. I just don't see how they could justify a $15 price point.
  • annarr1117nub18_ESO
    I always say pay only for what you really and truly want in MMORPGs peeps!
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    AtomZer0 wrote: »
    I agree, if it's worth it to you, and you have the money, fine, I'm not judging anyone that buys it. I'm judging the price they set it at. It's $5 dollars less than the Imperial Edition Upgrade and the Imperial Edition upgrade comes with a horse that is also 1g for all characters, but you also get a new race, a unique crafting style, mudcrab pet, and rings of mara. I just don't see how they could justify a $15 price point.

That's in the US.
    Here it's less than half the price difference of the Imperial version and tbh the other stuff isn't worth having. 4 races is enough, the rings are no use to me and the mudcrab is pointless, as is the tin box, the printed glossies and the plastic statue.

'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • Alchemist_X
    Alchemist_X
    Soul Shriven
    Palomino is $15, Imperial is $30 and contains nothing but pointless crap.

So I chose Palomino and you can use it before level 10, I'm not sure why the store says otherwise? (I've used it on my second character at level 3)

I didn't want to buy a horse with real money, but 17000g takes too long to get at the start of the game and not having a horse in PVP sucks big time.
  • TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭
    Basically you're just buying 17k gold for money. If you have the Imperial Edition, it's the same starting stats. However, if you just want a unique looking horse, then you might find it worth it.

Well, it is 17k per character. The more characters you have the more worthwhile it is. For alt-aholics it will be a much better deal.

Because for many people those extras may not matter. It is not like you get so much more. I doubt I will ever create an Imperial character. You already have 9 races to choose from, one more is not a big deal. I probably will not craft in that style, either. The mudcrab and rings is just fluff that will never see the light of day. The only thing I know that I will use is the horse. For those that know that they will not play an Imperial, the Palamino is a bit cheaper and will have a slightly more unique look than all the white Imperial horses running around.
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, im feeding my imperial horse with speed, and very soon im going to buy the 42k horse for all storage space. The minor bonus in speed is minimal to me, especially when storage space is so precious in this game.
  • loco
    loco
    ✭✭
    For the love of god, don't support the cash shop. Do you really think that horse is worth, or took, 15 dollars of someone's time to reskin???

Don't support the cash shop unless you want to see more stuff in there.
  • loco
    loco
    ✭✭

So I chose Palomino and you can use it before level 10, I'm not sure why the store says otherwise? (I've used it on my second character at level 3)

I didn't want to buy a horse with real money, but 17000g takes too long to get at the start of the game and not having a horse in PVP sucks big time.

It's faster to sprint in PvP than use a horse..

But I hear gold sellers from china are also selling gold for money, why don't you go support them too since you enjoy cash for virtual gear.
  • LilBudyWizerub17_ESO
    They are worth it for pack space in the long haul. You get 10 more slots for 2500g, linear. Bag and bank slots are exponential. Second upgrade is 2200g and 3300g respectively. I don't find the horse all that useful for riding though. Starting out it just isn't much faster. The biggest though is as a miner I don't go far before dismounting.
    My Guild - Anvil
  • WhiteQueen
    WhiteQueen
    ✭✭✭
    IMO, it's really not. It's equivalent to a 17k horse which, at base, has 10 stam, 0 inventory slots and 15 speed. It might be better in the long run to save up for the 42k horse. Which has a higher max potential.
  • Tweek
    Tweek
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly don't see the point of the Palomino Horse. It is $15 and you can't use it till level 10 and it has the same stats as the common horse.
    For $5 more ($20 total) you can upgrade to the Imperial Edition (assuming you don't have it) and you get the imperial white horse, which you can get at any level, and is the same stats as Palomino/Common, PLUS you get all the imperial edition bonuses.

Honestly, I can't believe they're charging $15 for it. It's Oblivion horse armor all over again in my opinion.

I think it's worth it....looks cool n' stuff.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Standard edition is $60. Imperial is $80. $20 difference.
    https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/store

Imperial edition allows you to play Imperial characters (unique look and passives) and wear Imperial gear without a motif, and get a cheap horse at any level and on all characters on the account.

Not worth it to me personally, but it's hardly pointless crap.