Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What Exactly Does Over Charged Mean....

Utildai
Utildai
✭✭✭
.... and how do you get past it? Is it just a level thing, were I am not allowed to have more than a set amount of mana/health/stam/armor? I am currently 26, I have 1056 mana as a Templar who uses a Resto staff and the healing line in Templar, and it says it's overcharged.

I've put a lot into mana (22 points) and tried to outfit all my armor with mana enchants... all of which were 40-50 additional mana per piece. Once enchanted, the armor pieces said 40, or 17, or 16, or 10... So, the enchantments didn't even give me the 40 mana it said it would...

So, my question is, can this be worked around, or did I hit some sort of cap for my level and my mana? Why would they limit you on your stats this early in the game?
  • ManiacMcLaughton
    Overcharge is the "soft cap" for your stats. Once you reach that soft cap, your stats get a lower rate of return. This is based on a per level soft cap. Once you level up, this will actually get slightly better per level, assuming you don't change anything (add more mana). This is to prevent health/stamina/mana stacking on characters and making them just too overpowered.
  • Utildai
    Utildai
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... a limit of 1056 mana on a level 26 healing templar seems a bit tough tho, don't you think? Considering some heals are upwards of 200 mana... I wonder maybe if stacking mana regen on half the armor would be more appropriate...

I can understand the cap at say, the first 50... but prior to that? Seems a bit harsh.
  • ManiacMcLaughton
    Except that PVP is based on a % increase on the stats you actively have, including your armor. Overcharge allows your stats to get boosted without you getting out of hand, despite the level deficit.

As for mana, the objective, as a healer, is to not be needed. The cost heavy heals should be "zomg, insta splat incoming" kind of heals... yes, they are the easiest, but this game is hard. You will know instantly who is and isn't pulling their weight in terms of dodging skills just by watching health bars. If you have to blow all your high mana heals too fast, you know someone wasn't watching.

Personally, I like overcharge, and what it means for the game. It means i can put all my eggs in one basket if I want to without ever hitting a dead stop... or I can diversify some and work to be more rounded, and more effective.
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    If i have overcharged armor i cant get nothing from skills that raise armor
    Now that's a good idea if you don't wanna use those skills and change to other
    Another way is not to go overcharged and get a more balanced build
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will know instantly who is and isn't pulling their weight in terms of dodging skills just by watching health bars.
    I find it interesting you describe this mechanic's effect in those terms.

• Utildai
    Utildai
    ✭✭✭
    Except that PVP is based on a % increase on the stats you actively have, including your armor. Overcharge allows your stats to get boosted without you getting out of hand, despite the level deficit.

As for mana, the objective, as a healer, is to not be needed. The cost heavy heals should be "zomg, insta splat incoming" kind of heals... yes, they are the easiest, but this game is hard. You will know instantly who is and isn't pulling their weight in terms of dodging skills just by watching health bars. If you have to blow all your high mana heals too fast, you know someone wasn't watching.

Personally, I like overcharge, and what it means for the game. It means i can put all my eggs in one basket if I want to without ever hitting a dead stop... or I can diversify some and work to be more rounded, and more effective.

I'm not really a PVPer so that doesn't matter to me in the least, but your explanation helped, thanks a lot. :)