The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bad Performance is the real reason for the Tanky meta.

Legendry
Legendry
✭✭✭
This is my take. ESO PvP population can be divided in two groups: players that create builds and general players. Players that create builds, wich later on will spread like a virus thanks to youtube or discord are a miority. These creative players adapt to the game, look for answers and come up with some. The Tank meta is a result of creative players trying to deal with lag.
If you were to run any high damage/low resist setup, you will find yourself being destroyed by a small number of casual players because often your skills will get an increased global cooldown, or you'll get the bar swap bug, or the sprint bug, or the infinite break free animation. All caused by the same issue: performance.
The only way to make yourself a few seconds more survivable in those scenarios, wich are everyday scenarios, is to build tanky. The game engine will always privilege movement and control of your toon over skill usage. So performance heavily impacts skill usage, but even on hard lag you will still be able to hold block, move, and even dodge sometimes. So the best way to deal with that is to have a very resistant toon. The whole meta switched in that direction not because players enjoy being permablockers or healbots, but because its the only sad way left to survive in a everytime less skill based bad performance environment.
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeeeeeeeah, nope. Building tanky is meta because it allows you to make more mistakes before dying, and because average pugs don't know how to properly line up burst. Increasing tankiness allows you to survive the random damage that comes from light attacks and random skills thrown at you from several players better, compared to squishier setups that require more active defense and have lower tolerance for human error.
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about no?

Building tanky is a matter of numbers.

It's far more efficient to build a tanky dps than a glass canon. It's also allow more mistakes for sure.

But it's game design and how tankiness always outperform damage in term of stats.
  • Legendry
    Legendry
    ✭✭✭
    If you make a choice because "it's better" as in "it is more eficient to build tanky in terms of stats", and not because you like how it plays, or it's fun to do; then you're not actually making a choice, you're adapting and being creatively consequent with your environment. That is not properly a choice, that is being forced in a certain direction. That direction is determined ultimately by game performance, not player performance.
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly I think some people just enjoy trolling, lol.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly, especially given that everybody spams fear now. I was using medium armor before U23, but after fear became available to everybody as well as performance drop, I often die before I can break free because when game lags break free from fear becomes unstable. So I switched to heavy armor and started using unstoppable brute and speed jewelry, so I can minimize chance to be feared and still to have some speed.
    Overall all this made me much more tanky then before and as well much faster (speed cap in heavy armor), but damage obviously decreased. If ZOS will fix this break free bug, I'll jump back in medium immediately.
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lag and the damage numbers that can be achieved have both contributed to this meta and let's not let zos off the hook here either with the classes sets and skills they have introduced
    Edited by jadarock on November 19, 2019 10:13PM
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but actually no.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legendry wrote: »
    The Tank meta is a result of creative players trying to deal with lag.
    I think it may be actually kinda true:
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tank meta started after the one shot builds came out after dark brotherhood. Everyone moved tankier as the player base wanted to survive gankers and liked the damage and survivability.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yea, video’s good. Dottz is a good player and smart.

Only thing I didn’t like is light vs med vs heavy is too simplistic. You can be just as tanky in light and medium, but they’ve slowly been nerfing this down. Protective, pirate smelly, fortified brass, etc...

I would have said there was no reason to go heavy (outside OP stam sets) a half year ago, but heavy is actually becoming more attractive these days.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've watched this video before and I have to say kudos to this guys perspective. I think a majority of console players watch videos like this with envy because builds like this are very punished on console from the aspect of dumbed down controls and abysmal server quality.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.