Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New Memory management has a memory leak - worse than pre dlc

nk125x
nk125x
✭✭✭✭✭
In Cyhrodil, framerates drop the longer you are there until you hit 10 or 15 fps - The only way to fix this is to use task manager to crash the game - In the previous pre dlc version a reloadui would fix the problem.

After crashing the game you have to pray you can get back into cyrodill.

Also its not only pvp - a bunch of friends are having similar problems in trials.

@ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom - Please can you get your devs to plug the leak or revert the memory management to pre dlc.
  • Stebarnz
    Stebarnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im pretty sure they think if they write it in the patch notes then it magically happens as opposed to actually coding it.

The number of things they have wrote they 'fixed' in patch notes only for it to be the same or worse post patch is mind blowing!
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not repeatable. I've had zero FPS drop over the last 3 hrs. Possibly your PC doing some background tasks or throttling as it heats up?
  • nk125x
    nk125x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not repeatable. I've had zero FPS drop over the last 3 hrs. Possibly your PC doing some background tasks or throttling as it heats up?

Not just me, everyone I know in Cyrodill are having the same problems. Generally it takes about 2 hours for the lag to be bad. You restart an hay-presto back to 100fps

BTW am running on top of the range Alienware so no its not my rig
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just like me it’s memory has gotten worse with age.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's probably the same old 30-50% FPS drop bug. It's not necessarily a memory leak. I haven't personally confirmed it's still an issue recently, but ZOS certainly has never claimed to have fixed it. It was introduced *four* years ago.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/367598/video-30-50-fps-drop-bug-almost-2-years-old-cryodiil-pov/

Some updates are worse than others -- there have been updates when it would generally take about an hour to be triggered and others when it would be consistently triggered within 20 minutes of PVP.

It either doesn't affect everyone or not everyone notices it. I would say roughly half my guildmates over the years have noted they are affected. Zoning or relogging fixes it 100% of the time. ZOS won't even acknowledge it despite years of complaints and undeniable evidence.
    Edited by zyk on November 14, 2019 12:48AM
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nk125x wrote: »

Not just me, everyone I know in Cyrodill are having the same problems. Generally it takes about 2 hours for the lag to be bad. You restart an hay-presto back to 100fps

"Everyone you know"...
    As in the people you ball/small scale with?
    In that case, it very well could be self-inflicted depending on what addon spam you've subjected yourself to.

It very well could be the FPS glitch(which I have a feeling is actually a driver based conflict) but it most certainly is not a memory leak.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happening on Xbox in PvE zones as well.
  • Tyreal1974
    Tyreal1974
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure, buried in the small print and legalize that I could not be bothered with reading, is the following statement - “ All lag/loss of FPS is not the fault of ZOS. Any performance issues is due to the users ISP and/or users hardware. It does not matter if users bandwidth allows multiple downloads and/or video data streams with no issues, or if any of another MMO games (WoW, GW2, FFXIV, etc) run with no issues. All negative performance issues are the fault of the end user.”

:trollface:
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In that case, it very well could be self-inflicted depending on what addon spam you've subjected yourself to.

I doubt it’s add-ons for four reasons.
    1. Each of the characters I regularly play uses a different set of add-ones, and the problem is identical across all characters.
    2. Even on characters with extremely minimal add-on setups, I still experience significant gradual FPS loss as OP is describing.
    3. My add-on setups have not changed since Scalebreaker, but I experience significant, unavoidable FPS loss in Dragonhold that I did not during Scalebreaker.
    4. Console users have reported the problem.
    Edited by casparian on November 14, 2019 3:22AM
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »

I doubt it’s add-ons for four reasons.
    1. Each of the characters I regularly play uses a different set of add-ones, and the problem is identical across all characters.
    2. Even on characters with extremely minimal add-on setups, I still experience significant gradual FPS loss as OP is describing.
    3. My add-on setups have not changed since Scalebreaker, but I experience significant, unavoidable FPS loss in Dragonhold that I did not during Scalebreaker.
    4. Console users have reported the problem.

If it's isolated to consoles only then it's probably a bug or throttling. The PS4 especially has some serious memory bottleneck issues so the new memory management could just be breaking them a little.

Don't entirely discount addons though.. really simple "oh it can't possibly cause issues" addons can freak the heck out in cyrodiil and cause problems especially around ball groups. If you've checked them or tried an hour or two of no addons then it's probably the FPS bug.
  • Austinseph1
    Austinseph1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It happens to me as well just questing or chilling in town, 100+ FPS after a a client reset and then a few hours it will hover below 70 until I close eso out and reload it again.
  • Abyssmol
    Abyssmol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This memory leak is also happening on XBox!
  • maddiniiLuna
    maddiniiLuna
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is add-ons and usually those that give you some sort of visuals. I've noticed Actiondurationreminder causing fps drops, as well as basically everything with a combat cloud system. Stuff that creates icons or extra texts also does it.

When I play with only the best addons I notice it takes significantly longer. At least 4 - 5 hours you can play, granted that the servers let you. Activating all of these addons result in a noticeable fps drop, whereas things like show global cooldown don't seem to cause any problems.

The biggest killer however was counters. Stuff like KillCounter, Combat Metrics, Miats, FTC. While some of these come with a build in light mode I do recommend turning off all forms of counters and statistics for the time in cyrodiil, including the counters of Miats pvp alerts.
  • alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just change your affinity, windows 10 sets your pc to all cores just take down to 2 or 3 and clear out ram cash every hour will help no need to restart or anything
    Main character dk - Vanikifar whitestrike
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's not related to addons. You can reproduce it without addons.

The perma FPS drop after heavy battles has been introduced with the famous "lightning revamp patch".

Devs are aware of it (I had many talks with one of thems about it) and they have never fixed it.

Only solution is to close the client and to log back in.

Also since last patch, they have introduced a new problem : a temporary FPS drop. It looks that it's 100% server charge related, especially in Cyrodiil. If the server is suffering (aka lag), the client halves the FPS and start stuttering for a few secs then everything goes back up again. There are specific areas where it happens more than other ones (the way to the giant village from bleakers for example).

It's the worse situation ever because they didn't either fix the old perma FPS drop bug and introduced a new one with the rebuild of the memory management in last patch.

And they just don't communicate about it. Even with tons of posts about this. So don't expect any fix.

Just read my sig and you'll understand why there is no hope. The support's answer just makes me wanna cry.

At least we know that we'll have other pvp MMOs where to go in 2020, I'm tired of this.

Edited by Sarousse on November 14, 2019 9:35AM
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stebarnz wrote: »
    Im pretty sure they think if they write it in the patch notes then it magically happens as opposed to actually coding it.

The number of things they have wrote they 'fixed' in patch notes only for it to be the same or worse post patch is mind blowing!

Not to mention all the stuff that is changed, but not mentioned in the patch-notes.
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not been in Cyro for longer period of time, so I can't tell, but every other zone I have been to, I saw a major improvements.
    Alik'r Desert dolmen runs for example, used to be an FPS nightmare during double XP events... But not any more, it seems they fixed that. Same for Murkmire. Used to have a nasty habbit of lowering down your FPS, gradually from like 100+ to 10... Not any more...
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on November 14, 2019 9:55AM
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If it's isolated to consoles only then it's probably a bug or throttling. The PS4 especially has some serious memory bottleneck issues so the new memory management could just be breaking them a little.

Don't entirely discount addons though.. really simple "oh it can't possibly cause issues" addons can freak the heck out in cyrodiil and cause problems especially around ball groups. If you've checked them or tried an hour or two of no addons then it's probably the FPS bug.

No one said it’s isolated to consoles. It seems to be on all platforms.

I’ve no doubt add-ons can cause performance issues, even seemingly innocuous ones. But we’re talking about a very specific symptom, which did not occur before Dragonhold even though we were all using the same add-ons before Dragonhold. @Sarrouse described it well:
    Also since last patch, they have introduced a new problem : a temporary FPS drop. It looks that it's 100% server charge related, especially in Cyrodiil. If the server is suffering (aka lag), the client halves the FPS and start stuttering for a few secs then everything goes back up again.
    In my experience this patch, once this starts happening it gets harder and harder for the game to pull itself out of the halved-FPS state, until eventually you’re just mostly stuck at 15 FPS until you log off.

Even if disabling add-ons could prevent this problem from arising, basic causal reasoning suggests add-ons are not the problem: if using add-ons did not create this problem on PC before Scalebreaker (and it did not), and if the problem occurs on consoles without add-ons (it does), then the problem must have been introduced by something else. In other words, even if disabling add-ons could treat the symptom, the question is what changed in Dragonhold to make add-ons a problem.
    Edited by casparian on November 14, 2019 10:11AM
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarousse wrote: »
    The perma FPS drop after heavy battles has been introduced with the famous "lightning revamp patch".
    I've always felt the current FPS drop bug that I've personally experienced since 2.2 (Orsinium) was related to the lighting patch FPS drop bug. I also experienced an FPS drop bug with the Mark Target effect in, I think, 1.4.

From 1.5 until 2.2, my client performance was AMAZING. When I watch clips I saved in 2.0 and 2.1, I'm amazed by how quickly and smoothly my camera rotates compared to now.
    Only solution is to close the client and to log back in.
    Zoning fixes it for me as well. There have been times when my groups went to delves while in cyro just to fix our framerates.
    Also since last patch, they have introduced a new problem : a temporary FPS drop. It looks that it's 100% server charge related, especially in Cyrodiil. If the server is suffering (aka lag), the client halves the FPS and start stuttering for a few secs then everything goes back up again. There are specific areas where it happens more than other ones (the way to the giant village from bleakers for example).
    Perhaps you're feeling asset management? I feel it when I enter or leave an area with a lot of players -- or when a lot of players come to me. For example, if I'm in Rawl when it's busy, my performance will be fine until I transit to another part of Reaper's March. Upon transiting, my client will undergo a few seconds of asset management during which time I experience severe stutter. The same thing happens when a zerg arrives where I'm located in Cyro and when I leave a zergy area. I first noticed this kind within a month or two of the introduction of the Outfit system and it became more apparent with the release of 4.0 (Summerset) -- there were a lot of threads about it then and a ZOS engineer posting about it.

I was asked to share this screenshot taken by someone unable to post who is experiencing memory issues:
    lRLlpnJ.png
  • Slayer62
    Slayer62
    ✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    It's probably the same old 30-50% FPS drop bug. It's not necessarily a memory leak. I haven't personally confirmed it's still an issue recently, but ZOS certainly has never claimed to have fixed it. It was introduced *four* years ago.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/367598/video-30-50-fps-drop-bug-almost-2-years-old-cryodiil-pov/

Some updates are worse than others -- there have been updates when it would generally take about an hour to be triggered and others when it would be consistently triggered within 20 minutes of PVP.

It either doesn't affect everyone or not everyone notices it. I would say roughly half my guildmates over the years have noted they are affected. Zoning or relogging fixes it 100% of the time. ZOS won't even acknowledge it despite years of complaints and undeniable evidence.

same bug, since 2016 for me and still there.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Prior to Dragonhold, I had FPS drops in expected places (zergy fights of Cyrodiil, some boss fights in trials, particularly Sunspire and Yol especially) but they were the exception. Since Dragonhold, I regularly experience frame drops and severe stutters. I was in Betnikh to collect a treasure map and my frames dropped down below 20; hardly anyone around, not engaged in any combat, etc. Nothing has changed on my end but I can't even collect surveys/treasure maps in overland without massive frame hits in the current patch.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • nk125x
    nk125x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am glad to hear its not just my friends and I - We play small scale - large scale and solo and we all end of needing to crash the client after 2 to 3 hours in cyrodil

Rezoning isn't an option due to the queue getting back into Cyrodill.

BTW - FPS at the start is excellent even in large battles, its just when the time decay sets in and you find yourself bwtween 15 to 30 fps or lower (Our leader went down to 5fps last night and also got stuck in the ground after a graphical bug)
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    Perhaps you're feeling asset management? I feel it when I enter or leave an area with a lot of players -- or when a lot of players come to me. For example, if I'm in Rawl when it's busy, my performance will be fine until I transit to another part of Reaper's March. Upon transiting, my client will undergo a few seconds of asset management during which time I experience severe stutter. The same thing happens when a zerg arrives where I'm located in Cyro and when I leave a zergy area. I first noticed this kind within a month or two of the introduction of the Outfit system and it became more apparent with the release of 4.0 (Summerset) -- there were a lot of threads about it then and a ZOS engineer posting about it.

I was asked to share this screenshot taken by someone unable to post who is experiencing memory issues:
    lRLlpnJ.png

No it's not asset management.

I made a thread and posted a video about it, in the middle of nowhere :

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6435091#Comment_6435091

It doesn't happen after a server reboot when Cyrodiil has no charge. But as soon as there are battles, game over, it happens, and not only to me but to everyone (my guildmates grouped with me have the same problem exactly at the same time in the same places).

• Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"Everyone you know"...
    As in the people you ball/small scale with?

It very well could be the FPS glitch(which I have a feeling is actually a driver based conflict) but it most certainly is not a memory leak.

This.
    I've no fps problem either.

Add-on and to recent technologie unsupported by the game (like my ryzen before the last patch) are the cause of most problem.

Since I've removed all my combat and UI add-on + the last patch I'm at 100 fps everywhere and drop at ~50 when I was doing dragon with ton of people around.

That why it's pointless to cry about that, fix your add-on (their is lot of error in most of them) or don't use them if you don't know how to do it.
    And wait the big update comming around january/february.
    I bet they don't really look at the live anymore as they invest ressource in the next big perf update.
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• Kagukan
    Kagukan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have never experienced this progressive frame rate drop issue you mentioned. Only time I see a significant frame rate drop in cyrodiil is during large battles.
  • KappaKid83
    KappaKid83
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Cyhrodil, framerates drop the longer you are there until you hit 10 or 15 fps - The only way to fix this is to use task manager to crash the game - In the previous pre dlc version a reloadui would fix the problem.

Also its not only pvp - a bunch of friends are having similar problems in trials.

@ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom - Please can you get your devs to plug the leak or revert the memory management to pre dlc.

Completely agree here, 100% of our group are seeing a larger frame drop since memory management than before it. We even quit the game and relog as a group 30-60 minutes into raid whenever we do raid and we still see the leaks.
  • Salvas_Aren
    Salvas_Aren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Imma just sayin "try killing dragons on 3 FPS". >:)
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Just to let you all know, we do have a fix for memory leak-related crashes that will go out in the upcoming console incremental (exact date for that patch is still TBD). We're still testing to see if this will also fix issues seen on PC, but if so, that will also go out in an incremental patch.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Aaxc
    Aaxc
    ✭✭✭
    Well, this happens in trials all the time, but that has been there for ages. Try spending more then 2h in MOL or HOF and your pc turns into a potatoe ;)
  • KageNin
    KageNin
    ✭✭✭
    Memory leak is worst then ever, why do
    Just to let you all know, we do have a fix for memory leak-related crashes that will go out in the upcoming console incremental (exact date for that patch is still TBD). We're still testing to see if this will also fix issues seen on PC, but if so, that will also go out in an incremental patch.

Just roll it out, we all know Live servers are for testing anyways.