Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Shouldn't Warden be able to tame animals?

Veinblood1965
Veinblood1965
✭✭✭✭✭
It just seems that since the class of Warden is more beast oriented they should be able to tame animals so as to be able to act like a pet. Maybe to the extent of certain animal abilities. I recall Everquest had a druid class that could do such and it was quite fun to play. I'd tame a mammoth or a Walrus and used them for PVE quite often.

Thoughts?

The reason I ask is I'm thinking about playing again and looking into the Warden just for PVE.
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure as far as lore goes that would be a bosmer skill someone correct me if I'm wrong
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jadarock wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure as far as lore goes that would be a bosmer skill someone correct me if I'm wrong

Yes, it would be more lore accurate for wild beast taming to be a skill for bosmer. For reference, here is how the ability looked in previous games:

Morrowind -> (Power) Beast Tongue: Command Creature 5 pts for 600 secs
    Oblivion -> (Greater Power) Beast Tongue: Command Creature up to level 5 (20 points) for 60 seconds on Target, once per day
    Skyrim -> (Greater Power) Command Animal: Make an animal an ally for 60 seconds, once per day

While unlikely to happen, unique active abilities for each race would be an interesting addition.
  • Doombug
    Doombug
    ✭✭
    There simply aren't enough non-aggressive animals in the game to really make it worthwhile in my opinion not to mention they'd lose money if people actually do spend crowns in those non-combat pets in the store. I have a bunch but I never bought any of them since they're useless.

I could see it as an ultimate ability but I doubt they'll add it simply cause of how annoying it would be to implement. In my mind, the skill would temporarily make animal/creature NPC's that aren't sentient, allies and cause them to attack others for 10-15 seconds. Like, say in Moonhunters Keep final boss battle against Vykosa if you used the skill her two wolf companions would attack the boss for however long the skill lasted. Well only one would be able to attack because of how they're chained up but hopefully, I got my meaning across.
    "If fighting doesn't solve your problems, you simply haven't killed enough people yet"
    "learn the countless steps to life's silent symphony"
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doombug wrote: »
    I could see it as an ultimate ability but I doubt they'll add it simply cause of how annoying it would be to implement. In my mind, the skill would temporarily make animal/creature NPC's that aren't sentient, allies and cause them to attack others for 10-15 seconds. Like, say in Moonhunters Keep final boss battle against Vykosa if you used the skill her two wolf companions would attack the boss for however long the skill lasted. Well only one would be able to attack because of how they're chained up but hopefully, I got my meaning across.

While that would be kind of cool in its own right, it would also be extremely situational. Sure, in overland content there might be some instances where you could use it, but in dungeons? It would basically be an ultimate ability that you could not reliably use anytime you want, and since all the ultimate slots are full already, they'd have to change an existing one - most likely the bear. I can already see the uproar if that happened. I sure know I wouldn't want my faithful bear to be replaced like this.
    Edited by CassandraGemini on November 9, 2019 12:09AM
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• Doombug
    Doombug
    ✭✭
    ealdwin wrote: »
    While unlikely to happen, unique active abilities for each race would be an interesting addition.

They could always add another skill line in some future DLC or they do something like what I quoted above so saying the slots are full doesn't make any sense unless you're hung up on it being a warden exclusive. As for being extremely situational, that isn't anything new with ultimates, I already have a few that I only use for certain fights or for cheesing a mech or for pissing off an enemy team in PVP. Do keep in mind I don't actually think a skill like that will ever actually be implemented into the game but it's interesting to think about

"If fighting doesn't solve your problems, you simply haven't killed enough people yet"
    "learn the countless steps to life's silent symphony"
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Racial ults did exist in some early beta builds. I don't have a lot of information on the subject, as this was something that was way before my time. But, yeah, it was a thing, once.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZoS can barely keep the game running as it is and you want to introduce some random garbage you saw in a movie.
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taming would be nice addition. Bosmer passives are weak, this can be funny adition.
    ChunkyCat wrote: »
    ZoS can barely keep the game running as it is and you want to introduce some random garbage you saw in a movie.

Garbage comment.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Warden thinks the other animals dislike her because her lumbering bear keeps driving them away, but actually everyone is trying to kill her cliffracer in order to spare us a horrible future.

8E30n.jpg
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Racial ults did exist in some early beta builds. I don't have a lot of information on the subject, as this was something that was way before my time. But, yeah, it was a thing, once.

Dunmer had a pet similar to the ancestor of Oblivion
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My Warden thinks the other animals dislike her because her lumbering bear keeps driving them away, but actually everyone is trying to kill her cliffracer in order to spare us a horrible future.

8E30n.jpg

Killing racers was tedious, but those plumes were sold quite well and they had levitate as effect. Nothing beats walking the map from Ebonheart to Solstheim through the peacefull air currents (well, maybe running Vvanderfell in circles over the water)
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doombug wrote: »

They could always add another skill line in some future DLC or they do something like what I quoted above so saying the slots are full doesn't make any sense unless you're hung up on it being a warden exclusive. As for being extremely situational, that isn't anything new with ultimates, I already have a few that I only use for certain fights or for cheesing a mech or for pissing off an enemy team in PVP. Do keep in mind I don't actually think a skill like that will ever actually be implemented into the game but it's interesting to think about

I assume you mean me, even though you didn't quote me, so I'll answer: No, I am not 'hung up' on it being a Warden exclusive, why would I be? But that was OPs point, so that was also what I referred to. And when you look at it like that, what I said still holds true. They would have to replace one of the existing ultimates, since I seriously doubt they'd be implementing a fourth skill line per class at any point. And if one ult were to be replaced, it would certainly be the one from the Animal Companion skill line, nothing else makes sense. Which is why I said nobody would want that, the bear is part of the Warden's class identity and most people use it.
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• FlipFlopFrog
    FlipFlopFrog
    ✭✭✭✭
    It just seems that since the class of Warden is more beast oriented they should be able to tame animals so as to be able to act like a pet. Maybe to the extent of certain animal abilities. I recall Everquest had a druid class that could do such and it was quite fun to play. I'd tame a mammoth or a Walrus and used them for PVE quite often.

Thoughts?

The reason I ask is I'm thinking about playing again and looking into the Warden just for PVE.

I remember that class it was really cool! You had a skill which 'captured' any animal in the world which put it under your control until it died. However, different animals had different uses, some were offensive and some were defensive. I've always felt eso's classes were a bit lacking.
    PC EU
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoughts?

Your post reminded me of fear kiting Griffons with charmed Griffawns in East Karana using my Druid.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

Dunmer had a pet similar to the ancestor of Oblivion

The idea of active Racial abilities (not just ults) is really cool, once you stop and think about it. I mean, it would be an entire additional balance layer, but still...
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »

Thoughts?

Your post reminded me of fear kiting Griffons with charmed Griffawns in East Karana using my Druid.

Lol I used to do that same thing, I didn't recall that zone until you mentioned it. I agree with the OP I'm really surprised that newer games don't include unique skills like this that could be used often, although they would be situational like in open world PVE, they would be a good draw to people who are bored with existing styles. Just using the usual Stamina, Majika, Offence and Melee Classes get old.

Edited by Veinblood1965 on November 12, 2019 3:43PM
  • Crucified4sin
    Crucified4sin
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind them keeping eternal guardian, but maybe adding different skins to attach.. making it possible to have other creatures then just the bear
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have tamed bears, and taught them to go and sit on top of writ delivery chests >:)