Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Healer End-Game Monster / Gear Setup?

Camdan8504
I'm trying to build out this healer and I'm having issues settling on a final load out. Currently, I've got Nightflame for a monster set, Combat Physician, and Worm Cult. I'm curious what monster set I should be using since none of the "build guides" use Nightflame. Secondly, I'm curious which set I should rune with Olorime? I'm looking at acquiring a fair amount of Olorime tonight through several runs, but I don't know what to pair with it. I was considering Hollowjack, but wonder if Worm Cult would be better?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated so I can start doing higher tier play.

Best Answers

• TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When in doubt, if starting out, and typically pugging, just wear olo ia, a set resto or destro of your choice if you have one, and symphony of blades, or night flame if you'd rather
    Answer ✓
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bogdan or Symphony of Blades are the primary ones now. You can run olo with any number of sets. Worm, jorvulds, martial knowledge, zens, IA if there's no warden in group.

It also just depends on the content you are aiming for and if there's a second healer involved.
    Answer ✓
  • r3turn2s3nd3r
    r3turn2s3nd3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    IA = Infallible Aether (Infallible Mage)

Debuffs target you heavy attack applying Minor Vulnerability (8% more damage taken) for 10 seconds.

A Warden in group basically makes this set irrelevant with a single skill thus freeing the healers up to provide a different buff / debuff.
    Answer ✓
  • TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you learn to heal from running content

my advice: vet wayrest (either), vet darkshade 2 (hardmode), then run the vet dlc dungeons in order of release, adding hardmodes here and there.

you'll be able to easily heal vet craglorn trials and learn trial healing from there, and then start vet dlc trials.

Just. start. doing

the brain is smart enough on its own to make you learn whether you're trying to or not
    Answer ✓
  • stileanima
    stileanima
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is no "one size fits all" answer to this question. In no particular order, here are the sets that are more commonly used by healers on end-game raid teams (when you say "higher tier play," this is what I am guessing you mean):

5 Piece:
    Vestiment of Olorime
    Torug's Pact
    Z'en's Redress
    Way of Martial Knowledge
    Ebon Armory
    Hircine's Veneer
    Worm's Raiment
    Hollowfang Thirst
    Jorvuld's Guidance
    Powerful Assault
    Morag Tong
    Healing Mage (Mending)
    Sanctuary
    Meritorious Service
    Infallible Aether

Monster:
    Symphony of Blades
    Sentinel of Rkugamz
    Earthgore Amalgam
    Bogdan the Nightflame
    Troll King

Weapon:
    Master's Restoration Staff
    Blackrose Restoration Staff
    Asylum's Restoration Staff
    Maelstrom's Restoration/Destruction Staff

I've undoubtedly left some out, and some that I mentioned are far more niche than others (and vice versa, some being far more common), but ultimately, what sets you should bring to your raid will depend on your group, your healing partner, the content you are playing, and your own level of comfort and skill. If in doubt, ask your raid team/healer partner what they think might be most useful for you to wear. And don't be afraid to make changes to your setup and experiment to see if you can find something that works better. What works for one healer/team/etc. may not work for another, so it's important that you try your best to run the sets that are most beneficial for YOUR group. The more experience you gain in different raids and groups, the easier it will be to understand and make these sorts of decisions.

Now then... if by "higher tier play" you mean dungeons, my answer is still similar. :) It will for sure vary from group to group, especially if you find that you are pugging a lot. If in doubt, just ask your group mates what they think would be most helpful for you to run. Some groups might want/need more healing from their healer, some might want you to provide more damage.

Ultimately, as a general starting point, I'd try to begin collecting all of those sets that I listed as you may find that you will need/want to use all of them (and more!) at some point within your healing career, and it's always good to be able to swap out sets based on whatever the encounter throws at you.
    Edited by stileanima on November 14, 2019 7:31PM
    Platform: PC/NA
    Guild: Calamity
    Role: Healer/Damage Dealer

YouTube | Twitch
    Answer ✓
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bogdan or Symphony of Blades are the primary ones now. You can run olo with any number of sets. Worm, jorvulds, martial knowledge, zens, IA if there's no warden in group.

It also just depends on the content you are aiming for and if there's a second healer involved.

Symphony of Blades, is the cooldown on this helmet per ally or per proc?
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    per proc
  • Camdan8504
    Still re-learning the endgame stuff. What is IA for the group lacking a Warden?
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m surprised no one has mentioned Healing Mage (Mending Set). I am also fairly new, but it looks to me like a very good set and I was planning to pair this with Olo and either Nightflame or Sentinel of Rkugamz for my templar healer. Is there something I have overlooked?
  • Camdan8504
    From what everyone here is saying, it essentially boils down to what your situation calls for and what helps you keep the group alive, I suppose. This response does tend to make it difficult to know if you're "ready" for endgame content, though. I wish there were a way to have a dummy to test healing rotations for various levels of requirements. As much as I hated that in WoW, it did give a good idea if you knew your spells/class well enough to do harder content.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Camdan8504 wrote: »
    From what everyone here is saying, it essentially boils down to what your situation calls for and what helps you keep the group alive, I suppose. This response does tend to make it difficult to know if you're "ready" for endgame content, though. I wish there were a way to have a dummy to test healing rotations for various levels of requirements. As much as I hated that in WoW, it did give a good idea if you knew your spells/class well enough to do harder content.

Not only alive, but keeping resources up and DPS buffed as well. My understanding from guildies experiences in endgame content is that this is very much expected of healers as well, and from the sets you choose in addition to standard abilities such as the energy orbs.

Perhaps it would be worth looking into add-one with feedback on buff uptime, etc. We have good in-game visuals for health; it could be useful to have options to see other resources of those in group.

Right now I’m looking at guides but also very much relying on feedback from guildies and other players when I can get it. :)
  • Camdan8504
    Then it's sounding like front bar is heals with buffs on back bar. I've been running heals on front with dps on back because I get fussed at if all the damage I'm doing is light / heavy attacking. With all the buffs and heals, though, I only have a slot, maybe two, open for other abilities...or does that sound imbalanced?

I'm a necromancer healer, if that helps at all.