Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

alliance swap

ThePhantomThorn
ThePhantomThorn
✭✭✭✭
so
my main is ad. but my friend is dc. we wand to duo together, but.
i need to level another char for it?

just make it so at the start of the campaign each char can choose the alliance they fight for. a decision i made at the start of the game shouldn't affect my endgame pvp possibilities.

it would be so easy.

@ZOS_BrianWheeler make this happen.
alot of people would really like this.
  • NirnStorm
    NirnStorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AFAIK ZOS already expressed several times that they do not intend to make faction change tokens or any other format of a feature that unbinds characters from their current faction at this point.

It's possible that is due to the way the code is designed or the way character-data is saved in ESO currently.

It's really a shame factions limit us like this, and I agree with you a feature like this would make many of us happy, but I don't think another thread on these forums is going to solve it, sadly enough.

Also, keep in mind that due to faction lock even if you make a DC character to play with your friend, you wouldn't be able to play it on the same campaign (or any populated campaign), so better think through what you intend to do before you grind a character for nothing.
    Characters: (PC NA)
    Ruerock | mDK ___________________________________ Nirnstorm | Magplar
    Ruepork the Magsorc | Magsorc __________________ Nirnshade | Magblade
    Pay To Warden | Magden _________________________ Moar Siege | Stamsorc
    Necrotic Orb | Magcro ____________________________ Bluerock | mDK
    Thelol Kadjit | Magplar ___________________________ Chalman Keep | Stamden
    Characters: (PC EU)
    Reurock | mDK ___________________________________ Nirnstorm | Magplar
    Refrigerator Boy | Magden _______________________ One Button AoE Stun| Magsorc
    Why So Spearious | Stamplar _____________________ Ree ee ee ee | StamDK
    Faction Locked | Magblade _______________________ Bae Blade| Stamblade
    You Shalk Not Pass | Stamden ____________________ Frag N Cheese | Magsorc

🔥 Nirnstorm.com - Top Tier PvP Builds & Guides 🔥

ESO Stream Team Member
    Twitch
    : Twitch.tv/Nirnstorm
    YouTube: YouTube.com/Nirnstorm
    Community Discord: https://discord.gg/APy9KK3

PvP Guild - Flame - [ Videos ]

Faction Lock contradicts the One-Tamriel concept.
    Please do NOT keep it in the game.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the conversations I've had with them at events they mentioned it's not planned at all.

It's been a few months now since the conversation I had but I think the TL;DR was it's a lot of work which they could be putting into other systems, and they're currently happy with not having alliance changing because other than some PvP campaigns you're free to play with all friends/factions any time.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Dreyloch
    Dreyloch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently made a faction swap on my main campaign. I had 2 different factional sets of characters. This cost me roughly 800-900k alliance points. I had to abandon the campaigns they were all tied to, in order to swap one set of toons over.

OP, I think your only choice is to have yourself or your friend make a new toon. But here's the brighter side. You can help each other level that toon in PvE because of One Tamriel! Running through the non-dlc dungeons will get a ton of skill points outside of the normal leveling process. Rest is up to how dedicated you are, and if you wanna spend some cash on crown skill-ups (if needed).
    "The fear of Death, is often worse than death itself"
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree.

I leveled a new character but what hurts the most is Motif Pages/Books :/ And before people tell me about Outfit: I'm to grind Alliance War Rank; vet content and quests...But it's unbearable to think that i need to grind all motifs again just because i need Achivement points.
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All they have to do is this example:

I start Kaal on a Dc. It locks the campaign to DC for my account. Any character I bring into Kaal has to fight for DC.

No faction change token required or character re-scripting required.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gepe87 wrote: »
    Agree.

I leveled a new character but what hurts the most is Motif Pages/Books :/ And before people tell me about Outfit: I'm to grind Alliance War Rank; vet content and quests...But it's unbearable to think that i need to grind all motifs again just because i need Achivement points.

You don't need to regrind motifs or achievement points on a new character, unless you want a second crafter with the high master writ drop chance or you really want the achievement points for personal completionist reasons.

If so, that's entirely your choice, since motifs and achievement points have no bearing on your ability to play another faction character in PVP.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »

I start Kaal on a Dc. It locks the campaign to DC for my account. Any character I bring into Kaal has to fight for DC.

This is quite good solution and I can't see any reasons why it couldn't be done like this.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »

This is quite good solution and I can't see any reasons why it couldn't be done like this.

Im sure some faction elitist zerglings will come here and give us some weird reason like cheating, spying or whatever else they think up.

It would be nice though, my faction is currently the nightcapping/ zergling faction and it would be nice to swap to another faction for better fights.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I still don't know why they didn't introduce faction locks like this. Solves all issues regarding being locked out of characters.
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭

omg yes. this is a perfect idea

@ZOS_BrianWheeler idk if u will see this (doubt it) but this is an awesome idea.
  • Nyteshade
    Nyteshade
    ✭✭✭

Im sure some faction elitist zerglings will come here and give us some weird reason like cheating, spying or whatever else they think up.

It would be nice though, my faction is currently the nightcapping/ zergling faction and it would be nice to swap to another faction for better fights.[/quote]

• technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too much money to be made in XP scrolls, skill lines, and skyshards unlock. That's why you'll never see this or class change
    Edited by technohic on November 10, 2019 7:34PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    From the conversations I've had with them at events they mentioned it's not planned at all.

It's been a few months now since the conversation I had but I think the TL;DR was it's a lot of work which they could be putting into other systems, and they're currently happy with not having alliance changing because other than some PvP campaigns you're free to play with all friends/factions any time.

This makes sense for not only the complexity making it a significant work load to provide it for such limited benefit but also that with that complexity there is an increase of unintended problems that could occur that might be difficult to resolve.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_BrianWheeler idk if u will see this (doubt it) but this is an awesome idea.

No it is not.
    Some people have characters in different factions and want them to stay that way.

I have characters in all faction. Yes that means I can't play some of them on the locked campaign. I am perfectly fine with that.

The only way for ZoS to solve it is ONE TIME faction change per character. Then you can choose which you want to switch.
    But this will never happen. ZoS has said it over and over, they are not interested in it. No plans whatsoever.

So your only choice to fix this for yourself is to make new characters or play in the unlocked campaign.
    Edited by Katahdin on November 15, 2019 3:27PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »

No it is not.
    Some people have characters in different factions and want them to stay that way.

I have characters in all faction. Yes that means I can't play some of them on the locked campaign. I am perfectly fine with that.

The only way for ZoS to solve it is ONE TIME faction change per character. Then you can choose which you want to switch.
    But this will never happen. ZoS has said it over and over, they are not interested in it. No plans whatsoever.

So your only choice to fix this for yourself is to make new characters or play in the unlocked campaign.

It will solve it. For you, just don’t bring your characters into the locked campaign.

Start Kaal on DC
    Any character YOU CHOOSE to queue for Kaal has to fight for DC. If you only choose your DC characters that’s your choice. It will be my choice to queue my new Necromancer into Kaal because when I made it and parked it next to stables 6 months ago, Cyrodiil pvp was not on my mind. Now I belong to a DC loyalist guild and can’t play the brand new character that I paid for with my new guild. I had to retrofit an old banking character to play with the people who invited me.

Like I said, some of my characters (notice they aren’t “toons” to me) will never fight for DC no matter what the guild needs and that’s fine, it’s not in their personality to do so.
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »

No it is not.

It will solve it. For you, just don’t bring your characters into the locked campaign.

Start Kaal on DC
    Any character YOU CHOOSE to queue for Kaal has to fight for DC. If you only choose your DC characters that’s your choice. It will be my choice to queue my new Necromancer into Kaal because when I made it and parked it next to stables 6 months ago, Cyrodiil pvp was not on my mind. Now I belong to a DC loyalist guild and can’t play the brand new character that I paid for with my new guild. I had to retrofit an old banking character to play with the people who invited me.

Like I said, some of my characters (notice they aren’t “toons” to me) will never fight for DC no matter what the guild needs and that’s fine, it’s not in their personality to do so.

Max, what you typed agreed with exactly what I said.

I said:

"I have characters in all faction. Yes that means I can't play some of them on the locked campaign. I am perfectly fine with that."
    Edited by Katahdin on November 25, 2019 2:34AM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Correct. And with my suggestion you will be able to play those characters on my suggested locked campaign. Those characters will just have to fight for the team it’s locked to.

I agree about x.
    And I am adding y.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler Please read it. This idea solves whole conflict about locked campaigns. Everyone can play their toons wherever they want, noCP included. On top of that lock stays making sure we can't abuse some mechanics as easy. Everyone (or most of us) is happy, everyone praise you, PvP becames great again, you are promoted to president of ZOS, and then who knows? Whole country? :D

Edit: by "this" I mean:

Shia-LaBeouf-really-wants-you-to-justdoit.jpg
    Edited by Mayrael on November 25, 2019 7:55AM
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so
    my main is ad. but my friend is dc. we wand to duo together, but.
    i need to level another char for it?

just make it so at the start of the campaign each char can choose the alliance they fight for. a decision i made at the start of the game shouldn't affect my endgame pvp possibilities.

it would be so easy.

@ZOS_BrianWheeler make this happen.
    alot of people would really like this.

1. Yes, you will have to roll a new character to PvP with your friend in another alliance.
    2. Yes, that decision will affect your end game PvP.
    3. It is not so easy. I expect someone has noted that the devs have specifically said they are not interested in offering a faction swap. They have also noted that creating such a vehicle is not that easy as that choice is interwoven into many aspects of the game.

Can they do it? Yes, Do they think it is worth it? Seems that answer is no.

What is so easy is leveling up a new character. OP could have leveled up a new character and gotten all guild lines maxed since this thread was created.
  • Taunky
    Taunky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Keep your AD butt where it is, thanks.
  • Spearpoint
    Spearpoint
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully, faction swap will never be a feature. And the new faction lock is a great supplement to Cyro IMO!

Just make a new toon, and have fun while you make it ready for end game PvP :)
    Arinwyn ~ Cute Wood Elf Archer
    Wardena ~ Frost Wardeness [Died alongside Arctic Blast]
    Dry Spell ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
    Dark Heart of Skyrim 🍺
    Bomblebee ~ cya'll out there
    Bouncing Betty ~ Front Toward Enemy
    Spearpoint ~ Jab Them With The Pointy End
    Six Feet Above ~ Reapertime!
    Bisolar Disorder - Bright & Moody
    Django Unleashed ~ Mr. Nordic Bather's Towel
    Master Angler ~ Struggles With Ichthyophobia
    Ichthyophobia ~ Secretely Dreams of Becoming a Master Angler
    Lol Brb

"Today we make our stand. Today we take back the Ruby Throne, which is ours by ancient right and the blessings of the Divines. Stand with us." — Queen Ayrenn
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my main is ad. but my friend is dc.
    thats the problem. DC currently is somehow the most popular and desired alliance.

And AD during prime-time is just bad by all means:
    186bc95c77a611ecc49dd855b02d3586-full.jpg

As you can see players just quit from campaign due to DC overzerging. More and more skilled players joing DC, leading to more razor balls, that can melt any sized uncoordinated zerg.
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Or just remove faction locks, this is a game not real life military. We paid it to play the way we want !

EU | PC
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Treason is not permitted!

Seriously though, allowing any race-any alliance is bad enough already. Making factions so flexible just removes the significance out of half the main storyline, and that's just boring. Limitations are good for a game.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vestahls wrote: »
    Treason is not permitted!

Seriously though, allowing any race-any alliance is bad enough already. Making factions so flexible just removes the significance out of half the main storyline, and that's just boring. Limitations are good for a game.

You’ll find that “role play” is frowned upon in this forum for a mmorpg.

Once they took away race traits that have been around for 25 years Zos can take their “storyline” to the Nile.
    Edited by max_only on November 26, 2019 11:14PM
  • Bewdu
    Bewdu
    Without restrictions in the game no communities form and games die. DAoC was the last game to have people actually care about what side and server they where on. This was because if you wanted to play another side then delete all your characters made you make friends and have a good time not thinking switching sides will create the fun.
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler Please read it. This idea solves whole conflict about locked campaigns. Everyone can play their toons wherever they want, noCP included. On top of that lock stays making sure we can't abuse some mechanics as easy. Everyone (or most of us) is happy, everyone praise you, PvP becames great again, you are promoted to president of ZOS, and then who knows? Whole country? :D

@ZOS_BrianWheeler PLZ do this. the devs really need a win rn.
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_BrianWheeler PLZ do this. the devs really need a win rn.

*Awesome for the meme.

Secondly, in the interest of ZOS's clear intentions to ease Casuals and New players to the game - they are clearly NOT made aware of the serious repercussions of Faction choice early on in the game. This is one topic OP should touch on that ZOS needs to address. Most new players don't come to ESO with knowing intentions of which faction they want to Play for in End-Game PVP, let alone have PVP on their minds...

As @Turelus pointed out:
    Turelus wrote: »

Factions do not truly affect any in-game functionality outside of starting zone, PVP and/or Race selection (if users do not have "any alliance, any race" purchased package.

I am guilty of this. I started ESO at console launch on PS4, chose an Alliance based on what I thought was cool. Didn't get into PVP until about a year later and hated my Faction choice, let alone people in the Alliance I was in.

Switched to Xbox and made better decisions after already having experience in the game. I still had to reroll a new account by switching platforms, but the concept is the same - had I stayed on PS4, I would have two maxed characters on an alliance I would never use.

By the way, I log in and PVP and log out. I haven't bought a DLC since Murkmire nor done any dungeons since (unless I really needed a new Monster Helm). I am repetitiously bored of PVE concept and find PVP to be more intuitive and exciting, less the current issues ZOS keeps sweeping under the bulging rug.

• Dutchessx
    Dutchessx
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, please do not put faction change tokens, instead give us unlocked servers back!
    Former Guild Leader Darkest Requiem
    Dutchessx - Sorcerer - EP NA
    Dütchess - Templar - DC NA
    Dutchess of Lost Souls - DC NA
    The Dark Dutchess- Sorcerer - DC NA
    Ðutchess - Templar - DC NA
    Always beware the sound of hooves in the night
    Remember Haderus
    Remember Azura's Star
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Faction swop tokens would be cool, or at least a way to turn off any race any alliance.

The way I understand it is your faction changes if you race change to another alliance’s race if you don’t have the DLC. If you have the DLC you’re stuck.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten