The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does ZOS even care about the bot infestation?

• Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Donny_Vito wrote: »
    How do you spot a bot when farming, for example? Really interested to learn how.

usually more than one character all running as if glued together or standing at a spawn sight (bears/wolfs) constantly heavy attacking, usually sorc's with pets, they have totally random names and are always low level
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNtSJoST07o

I think he was asking more of a rhetorical question. But your answer has a lot of assumptions in it, nothing concrete. Aside from some anti-bot software that tracks keystrokes, patterns, etc... you are basically just assuming someone is a bot because they are standing still at one node. I'm done this while I've been coding at home, and just farm a node when I'd look up at my game and see it's there (was also on my Sorc :))

i've seen this type of bot for myself when you have 6 toons running and changing direction like a flock of birds its kid of a big give away lol but i understand what your saying

Trust me, I've seen them too. I know in my mind they are a bunch of bots, but I think ZoS is more worried about accidentally banning a real player than banning a bot.

true, there are genuine ppl that farm set paths and even run specific gear for speed ect ect that to the uninitiated would look like a bot
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you spot a bot when farming, for example? Really interested to learn how.

usually more than one character all running as if glued together or standing at a spawn sight (bears/wolfs) constantly heavy attacking, usually sorc's with pets, they have totally random names and are always low level

I think he was asking more of a rhetorical question. But your answer has a lot of assumptions in it, nothing concrete. Aside from some anti-bot software that tracks keystrokes, patterns, etc... you are basically just assuming someone is a bot because they are standing still at one node. I'm done this while I've been coding at home, and just farm a node when I'd look up at my game and see it's there (was also on my Sorc :))

I've also done the "stand by a node and wait for it to spawn" thing, especially when I need a specific mat (e.g., Raw Ironweed) to complete a daily writ. Sometimes I run around and hit the spots where I know that particular type of mat spawns, but if I'm doing something else (like surfing the web on my iPad) then I might just stand by a known node spot and wait for it.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trust me, I've seen them too. I know in my mind they are a bunch of bots, but I think ZoS is more worried about accidentally banning a real player than banning a bot.

This may be part of it, but I don't think ZOS loses a lot of sleep over accidental bans. These things just happen. They deal with it. It might take weeks, but, from what I can tell, ZOS is in no hurry. If the player leaves before the ban is lifted, they don't have to do anything at all! If they are still around, they get unbanned. Win for everyone.

I don't think that, philosophically, ZOS cares about bots. They do not approve, or disapprove.

I think that they care about them if a lot of people report them. At that point, they will task someone with investigating the report. It might take a bit of time before that happens, depending on support load. I think they look for indications of businesses that are profiting off of the game, and that is when the ban hammer comes down. If they do not see this, then I think it is basically a judgement call.

I do not think that ZOS is really all that interested in players who are using automation software for personal use. It has been a long time since I have even heard rumors of a normal everyday player getting banned for using a cheat program. Epic Games, they are not.

Now, while I make it sound like they are not doing anything at all, that is not what I am saying. I am sure that they are banning bots all the time.

For the EU players, I have frequently considered how much better life would be over there if there were not BOTS on the server taking up server resources that could be in use by YOU to play the game.
    Edited by Elsonso on November 8, 2019 5:04PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Asys
    Asys
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zweible wrote: »
    Kurat wrote: »
    Bots are good for consumers. I get cheaper mats.

So its OK if others cheat as long as you profit from it.... pitiful attitude.

well zos dont do crap about, so not a pitiful attitude.
    I need TP for my ***!
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i've seen this type of bot for myself when you have 6 toons running and changing direction like a flock of birds its kid of a big give away lol but i understand what your saying

true, there are genuine ppl that farm set paths and even run specific gear for speed ect ect that to the uninitiated would look like a bot

Yes there are, so you have to seek some evidence.

Do they make a course correction when you are at a node first and before you harvest it or do they continue to the vacant node you harvested. Some have a pause in there and others are very quick in detecting that the node is not there.

Drop a bag of suspicious meat right before the node, harvest the node and see if they run up and take the meat. A player will not harvest it, bots will as it's detected the same as a node. This can be any memento that can be set down and interact-able by others. The suspicious meat is just fun to watch.

If a player is doing these things then they are behaving like a bot and I don't feel bad sending in a report as ZOS will still check them out and make their decision (if any). But those just a couple well known quick ways to sort them. Big thing learn how a player reacts, it is not always precise and exact.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haenk wrote: »
    dem0n1k wrote: »
    Even bot accounts have to buy an account from ZOS. So ZOS care very much about bot accounts.

It is very likely that the throw-away bot-accounts are paid with stolen credit card data.

Indeed. Credit cards stolen from their customers in games such as ESO. It's the players who cheat who are the real scum, those running bots are simply business folk meeting a demand. I don't condone it, but I do understand that in any walk of life where there is illicit demand someone will find a way to provide a supply. Of course everyone condemns the suppliers while ignoring those providing the demand, and the condemnation is usually based on the fact that the bots are interfering with their own farming :wink: !
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

I've also done the "stand by a node and wait for it to spawn" thing, especially when I need a specific mat (e.g., Raw Ironweed) to complete a daily writ. Sometimes I run around and hit the spots where I know that particular type of mat spawns, but if I'm doing something else (like surfing the web on my iPad) then I might just stand by a known node spot and wait for it.

Seen characters like this. Waited until they harvest the node, then dropped a bag of suspicious meat. A true player still stands there, but if they are a bot or macro user they take it. Don't get mad if you act like a bot and sometimes get reported like a bot.

Also wandered up if they are just standing at a spawned node. Wave or jump up, see if I get a reaction. After a short time I might harvest the node as I can not tell are they DC'd, a broken bot/macro or just away for a nature call. Then I move off. There are some bots that do this during their runs to refresh the spawn, just have to observe and make that call per basis.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sorry to hear you are having a tough time with these bots. I have only ever experienced levelling bots in malabar tor, they were running around as a pack of 7 or more characters doing the same thing over and over, it was very strange and i took pics and reported them.

I have never encountered bots while farming . Maybe i just didnt notice or it could be the areas i farm at are not popular with bots idk.
    Also are you sure they are bots and not high level players with farming gear and speed buffs etc that make it easir and faster for them to zoom from node to node...some farmers are incredibly fast.

Have you tried farming in other zones? I personally think its not like that in every zone .

I do support your cause op so i hope zos read your post...best of luck.
    Edited by wishlist14 on November 8, 2019 9:31PM
  • Abyssmol
    Abyssmol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never thought that you could have BOTs on Xbox, but I found one the other day. How is that possible? I thought it was impossible to hack the game on console. Oh well, I reported that incident but nothing happened at the end. Now, I realize why even report when those bots are bringing mat prices down. Let those bots live on I say...😁
  • SirMewser
    SirMewser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does ZOS even care about anything?*
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grimm13 wrote: »
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

Seen characters like this. Waited until they harvest the node, then dropped a bag of suspicious meat. A true player still stands there, but if they are a bot or macro user they take it. Don't get mad if you act like a bot and sometimes get reported like a bot.

Also wandered up if they are just standing at a spawned node. Wave or jump up, see if I get a reaction. After a short time I might harvest the node as I can not tell are they DC'd, a broken bot/macro or just away for a nature call. Then I move off. There are some bots that do this during their runs to refresh the spawn, just have to observe and make that call per basis.

I didn't know what you meant by suspicious meat, but I guess it's a memento earned from that delve in Stonefalls or Deshaan? I didn't realize you could drop those things in the environment, like an anniversary cake or whatever.

I've occasionally thought about posting stuff in zone chat while I farm, to let people know I'm not a bot, but I can see where that would get really old fast for other players. I was trying to farm Ironweed in Bal Foyen this morning, but someone ran up and harvested one node just before I could. I felt like posting a humorous reaction in zone chat, but decided not to.

Once another player whispered to me while I was farming, and we had a brief conversation about farming. I don't know if he was testing me to see if I was a bot, but he seemed to be at least somewhat grateful that I was just running around at normal (sub-sprint) speed, as opposed to all of the other farmers who were running full speed or even riding on mounts.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Abyssmol wrote: »
    I never thought that you could have BOTs on Xbox, but I found one the other day. How is that possible? I thought it was impossible to hack the game on console. Oh well, I reported that incident but nothing happened at the end. Now, I realize why even report when those bots are bringing mat prices down. Let those bots live on I say...😁

On reddit eso subforum there was a post with a vid showing a very tight stack of a LOT of identical sorcerer pet bots. It's kinda hilarious.
    If you found only one they are probably not pro LOL
  • BluntedJ
    BluntedJ
    I've mentioned this before on similar threads the Solution to the "bots" is a very simple one in theory (not sure how easy to implement)
    1) have the nodes on a random spawn script so they are never in the same place twice at any given time (even if it by a meter either way) this will serve to disrupt the scripted bots path and force a human to interact.
    2) have a multi key press system to actually farm the node (similar but not as complex as the lock pick) and have this on a random interval timer again forcing HUMAN interaction.
    if done correctly the random location tied with random key press system would ensure a bot could not be programmed to farm set routes and automatically collect nodes.
    just an idea :)

Your first suggestion is great, and would likely go a long way to combatting bots.

Your second suggestion would really kill my gathering game. I just play and stop every chance I get to gather. Making a mini-game out of gathering would make an otherwise minimal gathering task more tedious.
  • BluntedJ
    BluntedJ

I see where you are going with this, but at what cost to the actual players who are playing? Farming mats, as an active player, should not feel like that much of a chore to do.

Exactly.
  • Zelos
    Zelos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to give you an idea of the impact of bots:) 500k Gold use to be worth around $48.50, today 500k Gold is worth about $6.42:)
    *About a year or a little more of time between the two amounts.
    Edited by Zelos on November 9, 2019 8:15AM
    Aeonhack - AD Stamina Nightblade - 5 Star General

CP1200

Creator and user of "Questionable" addons and game mechanics.
  • Guyle
    Guyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zelos wrote: »
    Just to give you an idea of the impact of bots:) 500k Gold use to be worth around $48.50, today 500k Gold is worth about $6.42:)
    *About a year or a little more of time between the two amounts.

OOf, if anything, they've been doing the world a service. The value of gold being ostensibly valued as a meaninful representation of the games value, means that its right on track. The devs have done a *** job of it all, and the in game value is simply representative of that fact.
  • KoeKhaos
    KoeKhaos
    ✭✭
    @SeaGtGruff Some bots don't have sprint in their script while most players use sprint, so that is often one of the first things to notice and may have been why he was checking you.

@gatekeeper13 Mostly repetition of a specific action at specific intervals. For instance, you might find a bot sitting on a node that jumps once exactly every 5 seconds. These are usually very basic bots that are literally just spamming E multiple times with a jump added in every once ina while on repeat. You can often do things like drop mystery meat, attempt to trade with them, etc and see they automatically always click on it. You can also try interacting with them by waving, sending pms, etc and they ignore them even while actively doing something in game. The slightly more advanced scripts I usually see at the Alikk'yr Dolmens. They sit there casting AOE skills every so often while also casting a heal and doing a dodge to the left or right every once ina while. You'll usually find them in the stable at that one city dolemen in Alik'yr. They're almost always there. The most advanced bots will be a LOT harder to detect. These are usually your professional gold farmers whose entire living in based on this and put time and effort into making tools. If you've ever seen these kind of bot programs running on WoW you'll know they can out heal/dps your average player in dungeons. They read the actual program memory in your RAM or interact via add-ons and send input to the game based on actual things happening in the game. These are REALLY hard to detect though, if they are working right. This is usually where anti-cheat tools come into play as they are designed to detect things listening to memory or what not, but all it takes is finding out what they are detecting and making a new method to get around it. It's basically a never ending cat and mouse game.

As for the multiple characters people are seeing, sometimes those are bots, and sometimes they are players multiboxing. Both are not allowed though by the EULA though.
    Edited by KoeKhaos on November 9, 2019 9:34AM
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People sell cheaper mats that their bots farm = people sell crowns to get gold

One is pay to skip, one is cheat to skip. As long as one is there, I dont mind other.
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They havent cared for the last 5yrs.
  • Indoril_Nerevar
    Indoril_Nerevar
    ✭✭✭
    No, they do not.

But I do.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, they do not.

But I do.

Then continue to report them as you see them. Like I said above, I don't think ZOS cares one way or another unless they are breaking the law or acting as a business. That suggests that ZOS is only taking action because their players are bringing it to their attention. If their players do not care enough and stop reporting in numbers that warrant action, they probably are fine with that.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kurat wrote: »
    Bots are good for consumers. I get cheaper mats.

exactly.
    well said
  • azjuwelz
    azjuwelz
    ✭✭✭✭
    On Xbox I see them a lot in Bal Foyen--usually naked, level 3 or 4, pet sorc, with a name like xmfwtd. It's kinda funny when you've just farmed the mat they're headed for because they'll still run up, and then start checking their map. They seem mostly targeted on ore deposits because I see them ignore alchemy ingredients, even lucrative ones.

I enjoy sprinting around to grab all the ore and then watch them standing around with nothing to do.
    Xbox-NA
    Guildmaster of Nightmothers Deadly Deals

PVE/PVP Stamblade: Ylandra Silverthorn
    PVE Magwarden healer: Raw'zl Dah Zel
    PVE DK Tank: Greta Feuerwerk
    PVP StamDK: Helga Feuerwerk
    PVP Necro Healer: Dratha Helbain
    PVE Magcro: Dorian Fey
    PVE Magblade: Arivssa Thaoral
    PVE Magsorc: Eldara Birchwood
  • nolangrady
    nolangrady
    ✭✭✭
    You can add this to the bucket of issues this team ignores. Pretty sure the game is on auto-pilot now
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wish there was a better way to report them on PS4 as want to send screenshot rather than type out all the stupid random names they choose but there does not appear to be that facility.

So just send in reports telling them where the bots are.

And also not sure how they manage to do this on the Playstation - would perhaps reporting them to Sony have any effect?
  • Somber97866
    Somber97866
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have enough to worry about.........what new to nerf! Busy business that one,lol
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think their (lack of) actions made it pretty clear that they couldn't care less.
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was once a time you could report them and a few moments later a ghostly figure would come and banish them, back at launch the bots where a bigger problem, going through terrain to collect nodes etc
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    2 days ago I found bot train for fishing nodes :V