The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Gem-Exclusive Mounts & Pets Aren't Supposed to be for Everyone.

• Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michae wrote: »
    Wow, 1000$ and no mount? That's really unlucky. I got 45 crates last season (spare crowns from sub) and got one radiant apex mount and two apex ones. I never got that much crates before so I wouldn't really know what's the drop rate usually.

https://www.crowncrates.com/

You can check there for general odds and whatnot. It's not official, but it's better than nothing. Radiant Apex odds are always low beyond low, it's awful.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hanokihs wrote: »
    Wow, 1000$ and no mount? That's really unlucky. I got 45 crates last season (spare crowns from sub) and got one radiant apex mount and two apex ones. I never got that much crates before so I wouldn't really know what's the drop rate usually.

You can check there for general odds and whatnot. It's not official, but it's better than nothing. Radiant Apex odds are always low beyond low, it's awful.

I know that. I'm just amazed at how lucky I did get. And I assumed that if someone spent 1000 bucks on crates they'd get the radiant apex mount, low odds be damned.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that. I'm just amazed at how lucky I did get. And I assumed that if someone spent 1000 bucks on crates they'd get the radiant apex mount, low odds be damned.

Well most people probably are, and we don't hear from them. But there were a few threads to the tune of "I spent a thousand bucks and didn't get one" around when the Radiant Apex idea first launched. Haven't seen any lately, so either nobody is willing to afford chasing those drops anymore because they know it's a trap, or nobody likes the latest styles enough to try.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well most people probably are, and we don't hear from them. But there were a few threads to the tune of "I spent a thousand bucks and didn't get one" around when the Radiant Apex idea first launched. Haven't seen any lately, so either nobody is willing to afford chasing those drops anymore because they know it's a trap, or nobody likes the latest styles enough to try.

I wasn't really chasing radiant apex. I rarely buy crown crates, but when I do I know better then to expect a mount. I'm usually after the lower tier items and you can get quite a lot of them in one pack. Still I'd prefer to buy them outright of course.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I wasn't really chasing radiant apex. I rarely buy crown crates, but when I do I know better then to expect a mount. I'm usually after the lower tier items and you can get quite a lot of them in one pack. Still I'd prefer to buy them outright of course.

Yeah, I would too. But since they have their new, more profitable toy to make us play with if we want cool stuff, I doubt they'll ever put them up for direct sale - unless, of course, it's severely overpriced to make up for the lack of chance-chaser income. Plus most of them haven't looked too great. I wonder if that'll change with the ice atro crates that were datamined; people have wanted those for a long time... But every time something looks good in the datamine, the in-game preview is disappointing. So it goes. I guess we'll see.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no reason why they shouldn't be for everyone. I know why they made it so, but I disagree with the notion of exclusivity and gem sinks.

And the mount isn't really that good looking either, and I'm not talking about the lack of sparkles. The texture seems lower res than the original that was added to Elsweyr CE, it's much too bright and the shading makes it look all wooly like. Not worth even 100 gems if you ask me. But I'm sure there are people that got it anyway.

Here's a comparison, a little low res but it's hard to zoom in on your mount in this game.
    LWF4z6M.png

I have the first senche mounts players could get and it has never been sold in the crown store, been available via crates or gems, or been given to players because they watched a twitch stream.

So mounts not all mounts are to be available for everyone via the crown store.

However, I will say that clamoring in threads like this does show how well Zos' business is. That people are wiling to spend tons of real money on things beyond merely playing the game. It just shows how hollow the threads complaining about price really are.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    I see no reason why they shouldn't be for everyone. I know why they made it so, but I disagree with the notion of exclusivity and gem sinks.

And the mount isn't really that good looking either, and I'm not talking about the lack of sparkles. The texture seems lower res than the original that was added to Elsweyr CE, it's much too bright and the shading makes it look all wooly like. Not worth even 100 gems if you ask me. But I'm sure there are people that got it anyway.

Here's a comparison, a little low res but it's hard to zoom in on your mount in this game.
    LWF4z6M.png

I have the first senche mounts players could get and it has never been sold in the crown store, been available via crates or gems, or been given to players because they watched a twitch stream.

So mounts not all mounts are to be available for everyone via the crown store.

However, I will say that clamoring in threads like this does show how well Zos' business is. That people are wiling to spend tons of real money on things beyond merely playing the game. It just shows how hollow the threads complaining about price really are.

So? I know that there are exclusive mounts in this game, ones that don't come back etc. I said I disagree with that notion of exclusivity, excluding people from content via paywall or arbitrary time limit doesn't make me feel better about getting the content. If I want a mount it's not because it's scarce and not many people have it. I want it brecause I like the design and I want to ride it in game. I don't care if everyone else has it, it doesn't diminish my fun. If you want to create artificial scarcity then hide the cosmetics behind some hard content, so people who really need others excluded from getting some stuff to feel good about having it could have that and still everyone could get the chance of getting the items without coughing up hundreds of dollars.

And you don't have to explain to me that it's ZOS' business model, I understand perfectly why they do this. But I just think that you can make money from a game like this without constantly nickel and diming your customer base. They should focus a bit more on pleasing their customer base instead of trying to infinitely raise their profits each quarter. You can't grow forever and if you grow too fast you're gonna hit that ceiling pretty hard.
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Exactly. Not everyone can be billionaires, some of us have to NOT be billionaires. Same with this, not everyone is going to be able to get everything available in the crown store...that is just the way it is. Not everyone can be the same and have all the same stuff.
  • Jusey1
    Jusey1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, obviously they aren't for everyone because the whole purpose of the gambling box system is to get people to waste money on gambling and get them addicted to such a scheming system. So glad that the EU and even some states in the NA are finally looking at these AWFUL gambling systems and I hope by this time next year that these disgusting gambling crates will be out of this game.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jusey1 wrote: »
    Well, obviously they aren't for everyone because the whole purpose of the gambling box system is to get people to waste money on gambling and get them addicted to such a scheming system. So glad that the EU and even some states in the NA are finally looking at these AWFUL gambling systems and I hope by this time next year that these disgusting gambling crates will be out of this game.

I don't know, I think they are awesome. If I want something in the store, I just buy a bunch of crowns, open crates until I have enough gems, then buy it. It lets me get what I want when I want it.
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know, I think they are awesome. If I want something in the store, I just buy a bunch of crowns, open crates until I have enough gems, then buy it. It lets me get what I want when I want it.

Yep, that's basically how everyone does it. The only thing arguably "predatory" is the Radiant mounts, but they mostly look like toilet anyway, and everyone knows the upper price on one dropping is about $1000. If they ever bother to search the forums, that is.

For all everyone always talks about how they're intended to be addicting, I've never met or been pointed to a case where they actually are. So meh.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yep, that's basically how everyone does it. The only thing arguably "predatory" is the Radiant mounts, but they mostly look like toilet anyway, and everyone knows the upper price on one dropping is about $1000. If they ever bother to search the forums, that is.

For all everyone always talks about how they're intended to be addicting, I've never met or been pointed to a case where they actually are. So meh.

Yeah for reals, I buy crowns and gems because it's within my budget to do so. but I don't walk around everywhere scratching my neck going " hey....yo sir...you got any crowns or gems homie? aaye yo come back, yo you got dem GEEEMMS!!!.....". You just have to learn how to have self control.
  • Jusey1
    Jusey1
    ✭✭✭✭

Because it would cost anywhere from 100 to 300 or even more dollars to get enough gems? That's not bad? That's not predatory? That's how gambling works. They want to give you as minimal payoff as possible for maximum gains.

Also, Hanokihs... There are tons of cases of people becoming addicted to gambling boxes in any game. Sure, those types of people are a small minority since gambling addiction can be avoided with some self control by most people but not everyone has a healthy brain and there are plenty of people who have disorders or even gain this addiction at a younger age while their brain was still developing, and gambling boxes of all types takes advantage of those people.
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I don't think the game devs are, or should be, responsible for babysitting their consumers. If someone can afford to throw a thousand bucks away on digital Pokemon cards, let em. Hope they have a good time with whatever they pull. If they can't, let em figure that out on their own.

Would I rather them focus on the rest of us who can't afford to do that every crate cycle? Yeah. Duh. Would I prefer them to stick to the agreement and give us the ability to buy all crate items with gems if we want? You bet. Would it be super cool to reach into my TV and punch Pacrooti right in his stupid mouth? Absolutely. I bet a lot of people would, actually. But ultimately, no amount of complaining and wishing will ever make them care less about whatever route makes them the most money. Which is the point of the thread.

There are enough people quietly, perhaps even happily, buying crates and hoarding gems that ZOS will keep right on making chance-only rewards and increasingly expensive gem-only purchases. These types of items are meant to entice those people, and not a single other soul. It is what it is.
    Edited by Hanokihs on October 26, 2019 10:30AM
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Because it would cost anywhere from 100 to 300 or even more dollars to get enough gems? That's not bad? That's not predatory? That's how gambling works. They want to give you as minimal payoff as possible for maximum gains.

Also, Hanokihs... There are tons of cases of people becoming addicted to gambling boxes in any game. Sure, those types of people are a small minority since gambling addiction can be avoided with some self control by most people but not everyone has a healthy brain and there are plenty of people who have disorders or even gain this addiction at a younger age while their brain was still developing, and gambling boxes of all types takes advantage of those people.

It's not bad if you practice self control and do it in moderation, and you aren't blowing your rent money on it. It's not ZOS's job to police people's personal spending habits. They can offer anything they want as a service or good to sell. No one is obligated to buy it, you can choose to not buy it.